Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Samson Satele

1959Colts

So far this season everyone is disappointed with our O-line.

Linkenbach and Seth Olsen have been taking most of the criticism, being called human turnstiles etc,

But from my observations (through preseason and week 1) Samson Satele has been the Colts worst lineman.

Many times I have watched him whiff, and the rusher comes right through the middle.

I too am not thrilled with Link or Olsen, but lets give a fair share of the blame where it belongs...

Right on the shoulders of Samson Satele.

So far this season everyone is disappointed with our O-line.

Linkenbach and Seth Olsen have been taking most of the criticism, being called human turnstiles etc,

But from my observations (through preseason and week 1) Samson Satele has been the Colts worst lineman.

Many times I have watched him whiff, and the rusher comes right through the middle.

I too am not thrilled with Link or Olsen, but lets give a fair share of the blame where it belongs...

Right on the shoulders of Samson Satele.

i agree. he seems to be not nearly stout enough. gets pushed around way too easily in my opinion. he's the guy though and isn't going anywhere. gotta believe that all the changes due to injuries have prevented the opportunity for the first five to gel as aunit.

I've heard and read quite a few people complaining about Satele, although not nearly as much as I've heard about Link/Olsen. I've noticed he hasn't been doing wonderful job myself, hopefully he gets better as the season continues. He looks very small for a center to me.

I agree. Castonzo is our only good lineman. We need interior linemen in the draft or via free agency next year.

It might be only one game but justice held up well in the bears game till he got hurt. Castonzo got beat on a speed rush too in sunday and while that doesnt make him bad by any sense of the imagination he's had issues too.

trai essix hmmm been asking about him.and did anyone see the price of the highest seat 1,187,500 we paid FREENEY to watch.Winner winner chicken dinner my ++++ thats all Caviar for Freeney.I guess you all were right he needed a chance to play and show? Show that hes lost in this system great idea to keep him

I guess the fact that Satele has 2 bad guards on both sides of him seems to be ignored. Satele is NOT the problem. Satele was very good in Oakland and in his time in Miami, he didn't just come here and get terrible. People see guys coming through the middle and think its Satele without seeing what the real problem is.

Speaking of lineman, Here's from Irsay

The Indianapolis Colts today released wide receiver Kashif Moore from the practice squad and signed center A.Q. Shipley to the practice squad. Moore was originally claimed off waivers by the Colts on August 28, 2012. He was released on August 31 and added to the practice squad on September 1.

Shipley was originally signed by the Colts on January 28, 2012 and was waived yesterday. He appeared in last week’s game at Chicago.

I guess the fact that Satele has 2 bad guards on both sides of him seems to be ignored. Satele is NOT the problem. Satele was very good in Oakland and in his time in Miami, he didn't just come here and get terrible. People see guys coming through the middle and think its Satele without seeing what the real problem is.

I was thinking the same thing myself. People are missing the point that when you have bad guard play you can't concentrate on the job at hand.

It might be only one game but justice held up well in the bears game till he got hurt. Castonzo got beat on a speed rush too in sunday and while that doesnt make him bad by any sense of the imagination he's had issues too.

That's what happens when Peppers doesn't move around that much. He could've easily lined up on the other side and whipped Justice atleast the same amount of times he whipped Castonzo. Don't let that performance fool you.

We need to understand as well that it was the first game. This was the first time pressure was on them to play as a unit. We do need a guard as it was apparent. Once everyone gets use to each other then we'll see them play better. We know what their mistakes are. The coaches will fix them and make adjustments. I'm also putting blame on Andrew though. He needs to have true command of the offense. He needs to play like Andrew Luck and not these other QB's. He knows each of the offensive linemans strengths and weakness.

That's what happens when Peppers doesn't move around that much. He could've easily lined up on the other side and whipped Justice atleast the same amount of times he whipped Castonzo. Don't let that performance fool you.

Do people even watch the games. Peppers didn't get any sacks at all so I would think that if Peppers "whipped" Castanzo that many times, he would at least have gotten a sack or 2.

Satele has lost some battles himself. It does hurt when the guard play is atrocious -- and it has been -- but Satele hasn't exactly been answering the call. He deserves a little criticism himself.

Do people even watch the games. Peppers didn't get any sacks at all so I would think that if Peppers "whipped" Castanzo that many times, he would at least have gotten a sack or 2.

Basing off Peppers performance just off sacks alone is

A. Silly

B. Not looking at his entire game which is even more silly

C. Even sillier because you must not have seen the pressure he helped cause.

Basing off Peppers performance just off sacks alone is

A. Silly

B. Not looking at his entire game which is even more silly

C. Even sillier because you must not have seen the pressure he helped cause.

No whats silly, is saying Castanzo got whipped. Its not true. Peppers is one of the best pass rushers in the league and Castanzo never allowed him to get to Luck. People are being way too over critical.

Satele has lost some battles himself. It does hurt when the guard play is atrocious -- and it has been -- but Satele hasn't exactly been answering the call. He deserves a little criticism himself.

Of course he's been beat occasionally, just like every single o-lineman in the game does. When you have to try to block 3 guys because the guys on either side of you aren't doing their jobs, you're gonna get beat sometimes.

Of course he's been beat occasionally, just like every single o-lineman in the game does. When you have to try to block 3 guys because the guys on either side of you aren't doing their jobs, you're gonna get beat sometimes.

Thing is bears didn't really blitz that much...4 man rush was enough to cause pressure and Castonzo didn't face 3 DL haha

No whats silly, is saying Castanzo got whipped. Its not true. Peppers is one of the best pass rushers in the league and Castanzo never allowed him to get to Luck. People are being way too over critical.

I'm not basing Peppers performance off sacks alone. You're making it seems like just because Peppers didn't get a sack it's like he didn't do anything. He caused alot of pressure and helped make Luck's pocket collapse very fast more often than not.

A pass rusher doesn't have to get sacks to beat the other guy. Simply making his QBs pocket collapse consistently is more than enough usually.

It's not his job to block three guys. He needs to block his man, and he's been beat more than you want your starting center than you just gave a three year contract to get beat. I don't think he's been horrible; a lot of fans are in overreaction mode, and have been for quite some time now. The pendulum swings quite wildly sometimes. And having two guards playing poorly certainly makes his job harder. I get that, and I agree.

But I do think he deserves some criticism. No one is going to play perfectly, but Satele could play better.

It's not his job to block three guys. He needs to block his man, and he's been beat more than you want your starting center than you just gave a three year contract to get beat. I don't think he's been horrible; a lot of fans are in overreaction mode, and have been for quite some time now. The pendulum swings quite wildly sometimes. And having two guards playing poorly certainly makes his job harder. I get that, and I agree.

But I do think he deserves some criticism. No one is going to play perfectly, but Satele could play better.

I agree that he's been beat, but I just think the main problem is mostly Olsen to his left. Olsen is flat awful and it puts more pressure on Satele. Its just getting old so many people blaming every guy on the line and when people are saying Castanzo isn't doing good, it just shows me that people have no idea what they're looking at. Castanzo has done very good and IMO Satele has done very good too. When you have two very weak spots on your line it causes a chain reaction and I don't think most people realize this so they just blame everybody.

It's so easy to sit back here and say this guy sucked and that guy sucked......I for one wouldn't want to be the one going up against Peppers at any moment in time.....and if i had to........I would consider it a HUGE WIN personally if Peppers never got to LUCK......which is the bottom line commandment here.........heck...give all the pressure you want......but i you didnt get to my QB....I win.........don't care what you say.......Costanzo had a good good day.......

It's so easy to sit back here and say this guy sucked and that guy sucked......I for one wouldn't want to be the one going up against Peppers at any moment in time.....and if i had to........I would consider it a HUGE WIN personally if Peppers never got to LUCK......which is the bottom line commandment here.........heck...give all the pressure you want......but i you didnt get to my QB....I win.........don't care what you say.......Costanzo had a good good day.......

Exactly, and it's a far cry from being "whipped".

You keep saying that to yourself if you need to make yourself feel better about the O-line performance. Sacks aren't everything nor will they be everything. Pressuring a QB constantly can be just as good as a sack and if you don't believe so please watch that game again and count how many times Luck has to move from a collapsed pocket.

Can tell you now you ask the O-line how they performed yesterday and you won't get any "Well hey atleast he didn't get sacked" or any junk like that.

I agree that he's been beat, but I just think the main problem is mostly Olsen to his left. Olsen is flat awful and it puts more pressure on Satele. Its just getting old so many people blaming every guy on the line and when people are saying Castanzo isn't doing good, it just shows me that people have no idea what they're looking at. Castanzo has done very good and IMO Satele has done very good too. When you have two very weak spots on your line it causes a chain reaction and I don't think most people realize this so they just blame everybody.

Satele has done very well? Really? I think he's been terrible. And I'm not talking about not getting help or the guards missing assignments. I'm talking about very basic matchups where he either gets thrown aside (or worse yet), simply trips over himself. Honestly, I've never seen a player with so poor footwork. Now I know why he can't stick with one team.

Castanzo has been ok.

Satele has done very well? Really? I think he's been terrible. And I'm not talking about not getting help or the guards missing assignments. I'm talking about very basic matchups where he either gets thrown aside (or worse yet), simply trips over himself. Honestly, I've never seen a player with so poor footwork. Now I know why he can't stick with one team.

Castanzo has been ok.

Satele and Castanzo are the only OL we have they have played well. And Castanzo has just been "ok"?

Besides one time getting beat, Castanzo I thought played lights out. Anytime you stop Peppers from not getting a sack, IMO you did a great job.

Agree with this 100%, samson is a good center for the colts...

The guards to his left and to his right have nothing to do with the plays I saw.

Satele just whiffed on his man. One on one.

Watching the game I noticed, when the pocket collapsed on Luck, most of the time it was Satele's fault.

The guard play has, from time to time, been poor also.

But dont apoligize for Satele's poor play.by blaming Seth Olsen.

After watching all the games twice, I noticed that Satele generally stunk all preseason and now he stunk in week one.

I do agree however that we are stuck with him for the entire year. I dont expect Pagano or Grigson to replace Satele.

All I can do is hope Samson can improve.

If Satele was any good in Oakland or Miami why was he not retained with either of those two lousy teams?

Satele and Castanzo are the only OL we have they have played well. And Castanzo has just been "ok"?

Besides one time getting beat, Castanzo I thought played lights out. Anytime you stop Peppers from not getting a sack, IMO you did a great job.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. As far as Castanzo, the reason I say he's doing ok, is that "good" would be not just giving up sacks or not whiffing. It's keeping your man far enough away from the QB that there is no effect on him. You can prevent the sack, but if your man still pushes you around and causes your QB to have to adjust (which Castanzo does a lot), that does not merit a "good" and certainly not lights out descriptions IMO. Granted, those are subjective terms.

So it's his fault Peppers didn't match up on him? He did fine playing RT when he was in there. If he was good enough to play a guy like Peppers he would be a left tackle he's not so he's where he belongs on the right side. He held his own which is more than I can say for the other three guys on the line not named Castonzo. Also I don't recall making claims that Justice was the answer to our prayers on the o-line. I just stated that he held his own in this game which he did. Credit for what he did next time he plays could be a different story. Hopefully it's not.

As for Castonzo he did fine. He got beat on a play it happens I was just pointing out he wasn't perfect like some have made him out to be. By no means am I worried about Castonzo.

It's hard to know exactly who's at fault since the defense moves around all the time. From my perspective, our Tackles were just fine with Castonzo's only mistake being the McClellin spin move that resulted in a sack. The interior is weak. No other way to slice it. Reitz being out hurt, but that's no excuse. Melton, Peppers, and Paea were beating the interior every down. Satele would obviously get a share of the blame, but I think it fell more on Olsen and McGlynn.

trai essix hmmm been asking about him.and did anyone see the price of the highest seat 1,187,500 we paid FREENEY to watch.Winner winner chicken dinner my ++++ thats all Caviar for Freeney.I guess you all were right he needed a chance to play and show? Show that hes lost in this system great idea to keep him

Thanks for stopping by.

Peppers worked more on the interior against Olsen. While Mclellin worked against Costanzo

ima go out here, and i know this is pretty crazy to say but....i thiiinkkk that EVERYONE could do better. its really not just one person. its basically our team as whole. minus reggie wayne hahaha. we have miscues on both sides of the ball and even on special teams ( brazill fumble). but it also only week one. so we should just sit back, watch the next 5 or 6 games and watch who stays healthy and who steps up. everyone needs to do better