Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning vs. the Bears

chrisfarley

I saw so many things that Manning would have done to combat the Bears defense it's not even funny and I haven't even broke the game down (video), which I'm about to do.

First of all, Manning would have been running a no huddle faster style of offense which would have really put the Bears at a disadvantage especially with the way they were playing their Safeties and LB's. Secondly, Manning would have audibled out of SOOO many plays when the Bears did their cross-shifting and stunts. Their stunts wouldn't have fooled Manning whatsoever. I hate to compare Manning to Luck but Manning would have chewed these guys up from purely a disorientation standpoint. If you noticed Luck's demeanor when the Bears were shifting, he would simply point and shout but there was not mis-direction like you see with Manning (Manning keeps them completely off-guard with mis-direction shouts and fake audibles and pointing and carrying on with his body language). Luck doesn't have the freedom (although the announcers said he did) that Manning has. Manning has so much more experience I realize. I'm just saying that a Manning led team would have had a victory over the Bears IMO and Manning would have made up for our dizzying inefficiences. We would have also kept CUTLER OFF THE FIELD longer and therefore 41 points would not have been possible.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a statement to say that Manning deffinitely would have won yesterday. What makes you so sure. He lost to the Bears at home in the season opener a few years ago. Lost in Houston for the opener 2 years ago. You think Manning wins with the current group of players? Lets just say i disagree. All this being said, it's a bit ridiculous and unfair to even make this type of comparison right now. Would Manning as a rookie have won this game? Did Manning win his first ever game in the NFL?

You didn't add one thing....Manning would not have done that as a Rookie

You are correct. I guess what I'm saying is we certainly know that Manning would probably have won this game at his current age, we blew most of the team up and sacrificed wins. The GM and coaches know this but losing is still hard. I just wonder if Luck can take a page or two out of Manning's book and learn some of his techniques of reading defense even close to Manning. If so, maybe Luck's learning curve and freedom will elevate.

Quite a statement to say that Manning deffinitely would have won yesterday. What makes you so sure. He lost to the Bears at home in the season opener a few years ago. Lost in Houston for the opener 2 years ago. You think Manning wins with the current group of players? Lets just say i disagree. All this being said, it's a bit ridiculous and unfair to even make this type of comparison right now. Would Manning as a rookie have won this game? Did Manning win his first ever game in the NFL?

It's not ridiculous to say it if I feel strongly enough about the current Manning being able to beat the Bears, not a rookie Manning. It's just an observation I would like to get feedback on and I appreciate your feedback and input and taking the time to respond.

You are correct. I guess what I'm saying is we certainly know that Manning would probably have won this game at his current age, we blew most of the team up and sacrificed wins. The GM and coaches know this but losing is still hard. I just wonder if Luck can take a page or two out of Manning's book and learn some of his techniques of reading defense even close to Manning. If so, maybe Luck's learning curve and freedom will elevate.

we dont know that he would have won, people forget Broncos won last night with no Harrison, no MendenHall and no Ryan Clark

A Mute point. Peyton is in Denver, he is going to do well, and that was apparent from last night's performance. Andrew Luck is the QB of the Colts now, and needs the support of Colts fans. Feel free to cheer Peyton on, Lord knows I still do... and that's never been a secret, but the constant comparisons of these two, and the what if's are very tiresome.

A Mute point. Peyton is in Denver, he is going to do well, and that was apparent from last night's performance. Andrew Luck is the QB of the Colts now, and needs the support of Colts fans. Feel free to cheer Peyton on, Lord knows I still do... and that's never been a secret, but the constant comparisons of these two, and the what if's are very tiresome.

Quoted for truth!

Are we going to have stupid threads like this all season everytime the Colts lose? Can people just move on from Manning and support the team we have. If it's so hard for people to deal with losing then this team is probably not the team for them to follow this season. Everybody should at least have a minuscule bit of common sense and realize this is not going to be the colts yr..

Are we going to have stupid threads like this all season everytime the Colts lose? Can people just move on from Manning and support the team we have. If it's so hard for people to deal with losing then this team is probably not the team for them to follow this season. Everybody should at least have a minuscule bit of common sense and realize this is not going to be the colts yr..

unfortunately, the answer is probably yes :facepalm:

This is what happens when Peyton comes in & gives you Multiple Winning Seasons, people want to Win every game. Considering we're New, I think we did pretty good against a Veteran team. Yeah it's some things we need to work on, but what team doesn't have something to work on?

No way does Peyton win this game whether he was a rookie or not, with that putrid O-line he would have been sacked 15 times, Luck atleast with his quick feet, was probably able to avoid 10 other sacks than Peyton would have! In fact no quarterback past or present could have won that game with the Bears dealing with that wretched O-line!

half these people were never really Colt's fans before PM came and they started winning, so you are going to hear this kind of bellyaching all season and it will reach a crescendo if Manning goes to the Superbowl or keeps winning. They were never fans of this team when they were bad to mediocre, and the RCA Dome was half empty on sunday, so they simply will not be able to handle the adversity. I have been a Colt's fan for nearly 4 decades and seen much more desperate situations. They have a QB now , many times in the past an 8-8 record was all they could aspire to . They are bad right now, but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

half these people were never really Colt's fans before PM came and they started winning, so you are going to hear this kind of bellyaching all season and it will reach a crescendo if Manning goes to the Superbowl or keeps winning. They were never fans of this team when they were bad to mediocre, and the RCA Dome was half empty on sunday, so they simply will not be able to handle the adversity. I have been a Colt's fan for nearly 4 decades and seen much more desperate situations. They have a QB now , many times in the past an 8-8 record was all they could aspire to .

I loved going to games at the RCA Dome :) , but I don't remember it being 1/2 empty the times I went

half these people were never really Colt's fans before PM came and they started winning, so you are going to hear this kind of bellyaching all season and it will reach a crescendo if Manning goes to the Superbowl or keeps winning. They were never fans of this team when they were bad to mediocre, and the RCA Dome was half empty on sunday, so they simply will not be able to handle the adversity. I have been a Colt's fan for nearly 4 decades and seen much more desperate situations. They have a QB now , many times in the past an 8-8 record was all they could aspire to . They are bad right now, but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Well, I'm only 18.... I haven't even been alive for 4 Decades lol. But I respect you for being a Fan that long.

And Agreed, people have seemed to hit the Panic button for some reason. I think we did well yesterday seeing how it was our 1st REAL action. And our starters got a taste of all 4 QTRS

This is a socking revelation. Who would have thought a seasoned vet who will go down as one of the best to play the game would have made better decisions out there instead of our rookie? This is just a silly statement.

Anyone who expects Luck to take the league by storm is just living in dream land. He is going to struggle, make mistakes, and then shows flashes of greatness.

I think people just had way to high of expectations go into this season and need to just realize this team is not very good and it will be another season or two before we really get back on our feet.

Unfortunately, posts like these are going to happen. It comes with the decision/territory and are more than fair. Decisions will be critiqued and debated. You better believe if yesterday's results were reversed, I.e. Luck leading his team to an outstanding win, and Manning struggling in a loss, then similar posts would be made just from the opposite end of the spectrum. Of course those would be treated more favorable.

Right or wrong, agree or disagree, the OP makes a fair point and shouldn't be ridiculed for it. Some will view the topic as Rookie Manning playing vs. the Bears, and some will view it as 2012 Manning playing vs. the Bears. It's up to a person to form their own opinion or interpretation of the question.

I've purposely held back from posting much at all, over the past few days. I don't think I am going to change that approach. I don't swim up stream, but I sure do swim in the direction I want to. I'll withhold further comment about that.

Manning being in Denver and his results there have no effect on Luck's results here or vice versa, but that lightning rod will not vanish, nor will the RG3/AL1 lightning rod. It will be beat to death, people as posters will either have to deal with it or ignore it.

95-99% of people have their minds made up on these various topics and there isn't anything anyone with a different view point can say/do to change it.

There have been far worse topics and posts on this message board. I can promise you that.

Because Peyton can't run and scramble like Luck can/has to.

Peyton would have gotten rid of the ball before Luck even thought about scrambling.

Peyton would have already known who was open and where he was going with the ball

before he even snapped the ball.

we dont know that he would have won, people forget Broncos won last night with no Harrison, no MendenHall and no Ryan Clark

broncos was minus caldwell, DJ williams, arguably their best LB (I count von miller as a pass rusher) and they lost chris harris by halftime

their Te was abusing that LB coorp

Well, I'm only 18.... I haven't even been alive for 4 Decades lol. But I respect you for being a Fan that long.

And Agreed, people have seemed to hit the Panic button for some reason. I think we did well yesterday seeing how it was our 1st REAL action. And our starters got a taste of all 4 QTRS

You seem to be one of the rare breed of younger fans that are willing to stick it out through a down time with the franchise. That is just from my own observations. Most of the younger fans I've heard from became fans because of Manning and wanted to take their fanhood to Denver instead of sticking with the team so I commend you for sticking with your team. I have been a fan for nearly 30 yrs. now and seen plenty of really bad teams so the losing is just a part of being a fan IMO. Glad to hear we still do have young fans out there willing to deal with the bad times as well as the good. BTW, Im not saying all young fans are bad fans, just that I have seen many that are too willing to just move on to the next winning team.

For what it's worth, there are plenty of older fans that can't seem to deal with losing either.

The Broncos made the playoffs last year with a QB who had no business starting and the Colts went 2-14 last year and lost many starters since then. Obviously the Broncos are going to be the better team. Even with Manning this team would have stuggled yesterday, there is a good chance they still would have lost. Also if someone says we would have kept Saturday and others, well Saturday got burned yesterday.

You seem to be one of the rare breed of younger fans that are willing to stick it out through a down time with the franchise. That is just from my own observations. Most of the younger fans I've heard from became fans because of Manning and wanted to take their fanhood to Denver instead of sticking with the team so I commend you for sticking with your team. I have been a fan for nearly 30 yrs. now and seen plenty of really bad teams so the losing is just a part of being a fan IMO. Glad to hear we still do have young fans out there willing to deal with the bad times as well as the good. BTW, Im not saying all young fans are bad fans, just that I have seen many that are too willing to just move on to the next winning team.

For what it's worth, there are plenty of older fans that can't seem to deal with losing either.

Well Thanks for the commending

Peyton would have gotten rid of the ball before Luck even thought about scrambling.

Peyton would have already known who was open and where he was going with the ball

before he even snapped the ball.

He probably would have just handed an ultimatum to the Bears with a diagram of how they couldn't win so they should just forfeit too right?