Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We've Released Justin Snow

John Waylon

Justin Snow was a true player. He had one job, and it was the most thankless job in the NFL. No glamour, no glory, no recognition. Snow did his job as well as anyone ever has, and will always be one of my favorite unsung players. Some fans thought it'd happen, some thought he'd be here until the end, but I can't think of anyone who didn't have the utmost respect for how well he played. It'd be a joke to put a longsnapper in the Ring of Honor, perhaps, but that's ok. He's earned himself a Super Bowl ring and a boatload of awesome to last him a lifetime.

When your name is on this list, you deserve to have your own thread when you leave the franchise.

MOST GAMES PLAYED

208 Peyton Manning, 1998-10

206 John Unitas, 1956-72

198 Eugene Daniel, 1984-96

197 Rohn Stark, 1982-94

197 Jeff Saturday, 1999-11

192 Justin Snow, 2000-11

190 Marvin Harrison, 1996-08

188 David Lee, 1966-78

Well, all good things must end someday. I mean, we can make the argument that he should have made the team this year, but what about the next? And the next after that?

In a way it's better to cut ties with a player before they decline, because their legacy isn't diluted by the kind of staleness that afflicts your average classic rock band.

Anyway, hopefully Overton follows in his footsteps. It seems ridiculous to me that people would root for him to fail so that they can feel smug that they were "right" about Snow having one or two more years in him. He's not going to play for the Colts forever. He had a long, successful career with the Colts, but eventually you have to move on. I mean, I realize there are still a lot of people who are annoyed about letting Manning walk in favor of Luck, but a lot of those people seem to think that Manning would still be quarterbacking the Colts in 2020, if only we'd kept him. That's just silly. Same with Snow. Sure, maybe he could be good this season, and the next, but if Overton is "the guy" at long snapper, it makes sense to transition now, instead of hoping the next "guy" who comes along is as good.

More like ticked that Matt Overton is still on the team, after all he is the guy taking Snow's place.

Again, why are we so mad at Overton? It's not his fault. If he didn't impress, he'd be gone, and Snow would be getting another year. Would you people be happy if we had Snow for another year, but ended up with a guy much worse than Overton? Is one more year with a fan favorite player worth cutting a worthy successor in favor of a decade of failure at that position after the guy is gone?

If in 10 years, we had kept Snow but endured 9 years of bad snaps on kicks and punts, and Overton had become successful elsewhere, would we be saying that all that futility we endured by releasing a good player was worth it for 1 more year of watching Justin Snow?

Granted, it's not always obvious when the proper time to move on is, but you shouldn't forsake a good opportunity just because of some misguided sentimentality. Snow had a good career with the Colts. heck, he had a great career with the Colts. The fact that he finally, after many years with the time, was replaced by a younger player doesn't diminish his legacy in the slightest.

That's how the NFL works.

Again, why are we so mad at Overton? It's not his fault. If he didn't impress, he'd be gone, and Snow would be getting another year. Would you people be happy if we had Snow for another year, but ended up with a guy much worse than Overton? Is one more year with a fan favorite player worth cutting a worthy successor in favor of a decade of failure at that position after the guy is gone?

If in 10 years, we had kept Snow but endured 9 years of bad snaps on kicks and punts, and Overton had become successful elsewhere, would we be saying that all that futility we endured by releasing a good player was worth it for 1 more year of watching Justin Snow?

Granted, it's not always obvious when the proper time to move on is, but you shouldn't forsake a good opportunity just because of some misguided sentimentality. Snow had a good career with the Colts. heck, he had a great career with the Colts. The fact that he finally, after many years with the time, was replaced by a younger player doesn't diminish his legacy in the slightest.

That's how the NFL works.

I'm not mad at Overton at all, I'm happy for the man. Met him at camp and he couldn't be a nicer guy. The comment I quoted from MCurtis32 said that Snow should be mad that Linkenbach is still on the team. Why be mad at Linkenbach who plays a totally different position, if he's to be ticked at anybody it would be the guy who took his place. In no way was my comment anything against Overton, just explaining the difference in positions.

I'm not mad at Overton at all, I'm happy for the man. Met him at camp and he couldn't be a nicer guy. The comment I quoted from MCurtis32 said that Snow should be mad that Linkenbach is still on the team. Why be mad at Linkenbach who plays a totally different position, if he's to be ticked at anybody it would be the guy who took his place. In no way was my comment anything against Overton, just explaining the difference in positions.

That's fair, just trying to head any anti-Overton sentiment off at the pass.

(Head them off at the pass? I HATE THAT CLICHE!)

i hope people not liking this release understand why it happens. Overton is cheaper younger and can make a tackle on SP teams unlike snow. He was getting long in the tooth and the GM felt it was time for a change. Not a bad move if you consider that it might be nice to have some youth and athleticism at that position.

When your name is on this list, you deserve to have your own thread when you leave the franchise.

MOST GAMES PLAYED

206 John Unitas, 1956-72

197 Rohn Stark, 1982-94

192 Justin Snow, 2000-11

188 David Lee, 1966-78

Wow that's kind of sad... just one season away from the top.

i hope people not liking this release understand why it happens. Overton is cheaper younger and can make a tackle on SP teams unlike snow. He was getting long in the tooth and the GM felt it was time for a change. Not a bad move if you consider that it might be nice to have some youth and athleticism at that position.

I don't know if anyone is not liking this release they are just kinda sad to see a long time Colt go. I think everyone gets why this move was made and doesn't really have an issue with it other than the guy who was mad about Link still being on the team and Snow gone and I think that person was more mad about Link being on the team than anything else.

MOST GAMES PLAYED

206 John Unitas, 1956-72

197 Rohn Stark, 1982-94

192 Justin Snow, 2000-11

188 David Lee, 1966-78

Kind of off topic, but I wonder how close Reggie Wayne is to being on that list. He can't be too far away.

we are in serious trouble without him. special teams will go to pot. it's the most over-looked position in football. HUGE mistake to save a buck or two. C'Mon colts. very disappointed.

I take it you've studied Matt Overton's career for several years to know exactly how terrible he is, right?

we are in serious trouble without him. special teams will go to pot. it's the most over-looked position in football. HUGE mistake to save a buck or two. C'Mon colts. very disappointed.

Lol thats just silly. Losing one guy doesn't mean our special teams is gonna go to crap. In case you haven't been paying attention our special teams has been bad for 10+ years. It already looks to be much better this year.

I take it you've studied Matt Overton's career for several years to know exactly how terrible he is, right?

Yes I have and he is a grade 3 player with the top-side being the overhaul but his crutch is just that. With the harper-clutch techniquie he's ok, but needs to work on the flex-migs and other techniques. Stronger, maybe, better no where near. ;)