Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Chubb VS Sony Michel

Talk about something crazy, one college having two out of the top 5 rated backs going into this draft and then both of them rushing for over a thousand yards. I think they are both really good players but I want Nick more. I believe Sony is similar in play style to Marlon Mack and doesn't handle playing through trash like Nick can. Nick's speed is underrated as shown by running a faster 40 then Sony and I think his leg has fully healed now as you look at his runs towards the end of the year. 

This video does a pretty good job of comparing the 2 and worth the watch.

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I’d take Michel over Chubb all day everyday. Michel is more versatile and fits the fast up tempo offense Reich will want to run. 

But what does Sony give us the mack doesnt?

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

Sony is a more powerful inside runner and a much much better pass protector. I just look back to the National Championship game where Sony was able to slice through the Alabama defense at times where Chubb was mostly ineffective.

• Like 1

Michel is a classic one-cut runner that could be really good with the right scheme, like Shanahan's zone scheme. I think Chubb, if he's fully recovered,  is the better pure RB. I like both and while I've leaned towards Michel mostly, Chubb's pre-injury tape is just unreal. It's hard not to just hope that that's the player you could be drafting.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, twfish said:

A much better runner between the tackles.   A more complete and polished back.   He can also go wide like Mack can and take it the distance as Mack can.   He's a more physical runner.

Michel or Chubb would be the lead back and Mack would be the change of pace back...

• Like 1

By the way...   I wouldn't get too hung up on 40 times...

Last year Alvin Kamara surprised running only 4.56 at the combine. 

And Kareem Hunt ran only 4.62.   

Wouldn't everyone here be thrilled if we came we came up with a rookie back who had the kind of rookie seasons that those two guys did?

Chubb ran 4.53.   Michel ran 4.55.   Both are fast enough.

• Like 2

Between the two, I would prefer Michel at this point. Chubb just worries me too much in what I would be getting. Would I be getting the elite pre-injury Chubb or the above average, nothing special, but not bad Chubb?

I would prefer Penny over both of them though. He may not be a 3 down back at this point, but he's a fantastic pure RB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Between the two, I would prefer Michel at this point. Chubb just worries me too much in what I would be getting. Would I be getting the elite pre-injury Chubb or the above average, nothing special, but not bad Chubb?

I would prefer Penny over both of them though. He may not be a 3 down back at this point, but he's a fantastic pure RB.

I don't know why you think of Chubb as "above average, nothing special, but not bad."    I think you're discounting him way too much.   

He's not the pre-injury Nick Chubb, but he's come a long way back and is closer to his original ability than you think.

I prefer Michel or Penny, but Chubb or Freeman would also work for me too.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why you think if Chubb as "above average, nothing special, but not bad."    I think you're discounting him way too much.   

He's not the pre-injury Nick Chubb, but he's come a long way back and is closer to his original ability than you think.

I prefer Michel or Penny, but Chubb or Freeman would also work for me too.

I was more trying to say that his defining trait was his explosiveness. Post-injury, he didn't have that explosiveness back, which took him out of the elite status. Without his elite explosiveness, he does a lot of things well, but doesn't have anything he does particularly spectacular. He definitely looked better towards the end of the season though.

I think Freeman is a very solid RB prospect that seems to be overlooked a bit. My biggest concern with him is the HUGE workload he's had.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

I was more trying to say that his defining trait was his explosiveness. Post-injury, he didn't have that explosiveness back, which took him out of the elite status. Without his elite explosiveness, he does a lot of things well, but doesn't have anything he does particularly spectacular. He definitely looked better towards the end of the season though.

I think Freeman is a very solid RB prospect that seems to be overlooked a bit. My biggest concern with him is the HUGE workload he's had.

Good post...  and I agree about Freeman. His workload has been very high.    He may be a back that only has a shorter shelf life...    like 5-6 years..    but I was pleased to see that he dropped 10-12 pounds for the combine..   weighed 227 and ran in the lie 4.5s..   I think there is still some tread on the tires..   I think he's a late 3 or early 4...

• Like 1

I’d prefer Michel. I like Chubb but he’s had a major injury. Yeah he’s healed up and close to his full abilities, but an injury is an injury. Running Backs have short shelf life’s and that major knee injury is major tread on the tires.

Play style while, I feel like Sony would fit Reich’s offense more.

38 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I’d prefer Michel. I like Chubb but he’s had a major injury. Yeah he’s healed up and close to his full abilities, but an injury is an injury. Running Backs have short shelf life’s and that major knee injury is major tread on the tires.

Play style while, I feel like Sony would fit Reich’s offense more.

Didnt Frank Gore tear his knees up in college?

This being a thread about Michel or Chubb, I will stick to the basics. I don’t think having Mack on the roster should matter in choosing between the two GA backs. You take the best player of the two, and to me, it’s no contest. Michel is the more instinctive, more dynamic, and more complete RB. He and Mack would form a great 1-2 punch. I do believe he will have to be taken in the 2nd round to get him. 

• Like 2

I live in Ga and have two of my former clients who play at UGA now. So i keep up with UGA football. I really love both Chubb and Michel. I know Michel is the higher rated back in the fact that he is more versatile than Chubb. But i would honestly rather have Chubb to compliment Mack. Chubb is the more powerful between the tackles runner and is the better blocking back. Mack is more of a poor mans Michel. 

15 hours ago, BOTT said:

Who cares, both will be gone when the colts pick in the 3rd.

that said, I would take PlayStation.

they are projected as second to third round picks

we have three seconds to land one of them 

18 hours ago, BOTT said:

Bott has never been the same since he got ran over by a running back on the sidelines He will always dismiss any running back picked in the draft That's one of his many pet peeves. 

4 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Bott has never been the same since he got ran over by a running back on the sidelines He will always dismiss any running back picked in the draft That's one of his many pet peeves. 

You have never been the same since your mother clubbed you in the head with a claw hammer when you were a infant.

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

they are projected as second to third round picks

we have three seconds to land one of them 

Sony will more than likely go in the 2nd, Chubb prob the 3rd

Wouldn't want to use any of the 2nd red pick on them.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 8:39 PM, BOTT said:

I want Michel because I think he is tailor-made for the NFL, but also for the nicknames. If the Colts draft him, they need to take #5 from Phillip Walker and have Michel wear it so we can all call him "PS5," since the PS5 should releasing in the next year or so. 

Then I would have marketing work up some posters that say "Introducing the PS5...Fall 2018."

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, BOTT said:

You have never been the same since your mother clubbed you in the head with a claw hammer when you were a infant.

Bott just poking a little fun at you, but really, bringing up my " Mother" when she is still incarcerated. A little insensitive even for you.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I'd go Penny in the 4th.

3rd. He’s gone by the 4th. I’d take Lenny over Michel and Chubb because he has the most success of the three when contacted at or before the los? That will happen a lot with our line so might as well take the back that excelled at making the most out of it.