Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Appeal of the Colts

Lucky Colts Fan

Is Indy an appealing destination for free agents?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is Indy an appealing destination for free agents?

• Yes
    • No

This is a Colts topic, but mods, feel free to move to the Free Agency Forum.  Ok, so is Indy a good destination for free agents?

The prospect of a healthy Luck could lure some good OLinemen.  The prospect of a 4-3 defense could lure some good DLinemen.

Maybe the Rivalry being "back on" will lure some Patriots-haters...  haha

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted No. 

It's not as unappealing as say cleveland, Detroit, buffalo etc...

For a lot FA's it's about getting the $$$ as it should be. Some only get a chance at 1 contract to make enough for themselves and family for the rest of their life. So if Indy offer is attractive they will come.

Others that are also looking for rings, city lifestyle, publicity etc... will probably sign elsewhere.

The older FA's will be looking to find a team that they perceive to be is an immediate contender with a chance for a SB.  The younger FA's, who are going for their first big contract, will look for the money as well as does the team have a franchise QB with the possibility to contend for a number of years.  This is where Indy fits the bill not to mention we play in a good weather division and we have a dome assuring optimum playing conditions for the most part. Unless you're all about the bright lights and a big city I think the Colts would be one of the primary destinations for FA's. 

A healthy Andrew Luck and a stable front office/coaching staff armed with 80 million bucks in cap space are attractive.

A guy like Norwell, who's from Cincinnati might like getting back close to home.

But other than that.... I doubt that any of these top line free agents are gonna care a whole lot about things like St. Elmo's horseradish sauce. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

It just doesn't have the appeal of a place like New York, LA, or Miami.  Doesn't mean it's a bad city by any means.  But there's no denying the difference between New York City and Indianapolis

That matters in the NBA, not so much in the NFL.  Players go to Jacksonville every year and that place was once described as the Gary Indiana of the south.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

This is a Colts topic, but mods, feel free to move to the Free Agency Forum.  Ok, so is Indy a good destination for free agents?

The prospect of a healthy Luck could lure some good OLinemen.  The prospect of a 4-3 defense could lure some good DLinemen.

Actually LUCKY should be a HUGE turnoff to any O-Lineman.

He actually LOVES the Long Ball. So he holds the ball longer, and runs around waiting for his receivers to get open. NO O-Lineman is looking to block for THAT GUY.
It makes the job much harder, flat out makes them look bad.  It really is that simple.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If you are an offensive player, this is a distinct destination.  QB. Indoors. Warm weather division.  

26 minutes ago, BOTT said:

That matters in the NBA, not so much in the NFL.  Players go to Jacksonville every year and that place was once described as the Gary Indiana of the south.

It depends.Olivier Vernon more or less admitted that he went to the NYG instead of JAC in FA back in '16 because of New York. Jacksonville was.., well, Jacksonville.

But usually it's the money that speaks. That's the best appeal we'll have this offseason.

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

But Jacksonville has one important thing that only a few NFL teams can match.

NO.    STATE.     TAX!!

Only Miami, Tampa, Dallas, Houston and Arizona have that.

If two franchises are offering roughly the same money, the franchise with no state tax has the big advantage.    Roughly 10 percent.

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He actually LOVES the Long Ball. So he holds the ball longer, and runs around waiting for his receivers to get open. NO O-Lineman is looking to block for THAT GUY.
It makes the job much harder, flat out makes them look bad.  It really is that simple.

I am the holder of many unpopular opinions,   so I respect anyone who is willing to state an unpopular view and stick his head in the proverbial lions mouth.    And I appreciate someone who is willing to offer an opinion that no one else has tought of,  or,  they've thought of it,  but maybe don't have the courage to state it.

I appreciate that it's not easy to be in the extreme minority on any issue.

That said.....

Holy Crap!    This post is a gigantic hot mess of wrongness!     Pure nonsense made in effort to be the smartest person in the internet room.     Wow,  what an epic fail!

We can take this line by line.

Lineman don't like playing for Luck?!?     WTH?!?

Lineman LOVE playing for Luck.   It's like playing for Ben Roethisberger.    A guy who is willing to sacrifice his body for the good of the team,  and never criticize a poor performance of a lineman.    In 6 years of getting his brain beat in, Andrew Luck has never criticized a teammate.     You think that goes unnoticed?     And he's lost roughly 1.5 years of his career out of the last 3 years.     You think that goes unnoticed?    Or unappreciated?

Luck does NOT love throwing the Long Ball.    Luck loves winning.    He'd be happy to throw the ball 10 times a game if it led to a win.  In college Luck had a game where he attempted less than 20 passes.   But as a team, Stanford rushed for 450 yards and the Cardinal crushed Washington.   Luck said it was the best game he ever called.   He doesn't give a rip about the long ball.   He cares only about winning.   Period.   He'd be thrilled to a have game where every drive is 10 plays long and the opposing offense is kept off the field.    Nothing would make him happier.

No lineman wants to block for a guy who is waiting for a receiver to come open?   Sorry,  it's the exact opposite,  every lineman would be willing to go to war for Luck because he's trying to make a play happen so the team can win.   A teammate can't ask for more.    Luck is willing to put himself at extreme risk to help his team.    The O-line loves Andrew and he loves them.    Even when they suck.    A few years back, Luck spent a week with the O-line at a cabin by a lake.    You think he's just being a nice guy?

O-lineman don't care if their job is made harder,  as long as it's not done wrecklessly and unnecessarily.   If it means a chance to help the team win,  then O-lineman will work their rear ends off to try and make it happen.   O-lineman are blue collar, lunch pail guys.    They not only don't mind working harder,   they love it....    as long as it helps them win.     And Luck gives them the best chance of that.

I appreciate that you were trying to say something.....    deep....    and meaningful....    and profound...   and that no one else would dare say what you would say.     In this case,  it's with good reason.    Just about every word you wrote is spectacularly wrong and uninformed.

Sorry........   There are plenty of legit things to criticize Luck for....    trying hard to win games is not one of them.     Players not wanting to be his teammate because he makes them look bad is not  one of them.    Luck makes their job harder is not one of them.    Completely false.

26 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yeah, that is a whole bunch of bovine excrement.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

NO.    STATE.     TAX!!

If two franchises are offering roughly the same money, the franchise with no state tax has the big advantage.    Roughly 10 percent.

True, that's why your offer has to take that into account.  I would hope our GM is smart enough not to lose a player because of state tax.  Especially with our cap space this year.  IMO it should always be accounted for and should not be the reason we lose a player to another team. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

What do you base this on? Your own likes or dislikes?

The early morning smell of Indy driving in past Reilly Chemical & the west side around Harding & the White River stinks based on personal opinion over the last 36 years .

Although IMO its better than St Louis I remember visiting that City & seeing a municipal city trk that had a sign on the door that said Dept of Rat & Roach control . 

IMO FA's would prefer Carmel & Westfield Noblesville  .

49 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

It just doesn't have the appeal of a place like New York, LA, or Miami.  Doesn't mean it's a bad city by any means.  But there's no denying the difference between New York City and Indianapolis

It all depends on how these players want to raise their kids. Do they want the influence of Indianapolis or New York City?  Believe me or not but raising a family in Indianapolis rather than New York City is day and night.

These players would live in Carmel, Noblesville or Fishers. If they are interested in the cost of living then Indy beats the east coast big time. A $800,000. house in Indy would cost 3 or 4 millions dollars on the east coast. Taxes are a lot cheaper in Indy.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I am the holder of many unpopular opinions,   so I respect anyone who is willing to state an unpopular view and stick his head in the proverbial lions mouth.    And I appreciate someone who is willing to offer an opinion that no one else has tought of,  or,  they've thought of it,  but maybe don't have the courage to state it.

That said.....

Holy Crap!    This post is a gigantic hot mess of wrongness!     Pure nonsense made in effort to be the smartest person in the internet room.     Wow,  what an epic fail!

Lineman LOVE playing for Luck.   It's like playing for Ben Roethisberger.    A guy who is willing to sacrifice his body for the good of the team,  and never criticize a poor performance of a lineman.    In 6 years of getting his brain beat in, Andrew Luck has never criticized a teammate.     You think that goes unnoticed?     And he's lost roughly 1.5 years of his career out of the last 3 years.     You think that goes unnoticed?    Or unappreciated?

Luck does NOT love throwing the Long Ball.    Luck loves winning.    He'd be happy to throw the ball 10 times a game if it led to a win.  In college Luck had a game where he attempted less than 20 passes.   But as a team, Stanford rushed for 450 yards and the Cardinal crushed Washington.   Luck said it was the best game he ever called.   He doesn't give a rip about the long ball.   He cares only about winning.   Period.   He'd be thrilled to a have game where every drive is 10 plays long and the opposing offense is kept off the field.    Nothing would make him happier.

No lineman wants to block for a guy who is waiting for a receiver to come open?   Sorry,  it's the exact opposite,  every lineman would be willing to go to war for Luck because he's trying to make a play happen so the team can win.   A teammate can't ask for more.    Luck is willing to put himself at extreme risk to help his team.    The O-line loves Andrew and he loves them.    Even when they suck.    A few years back, Luck spent a week with the O-line at a cabin by a lake.    You think he's just being a nice guy?

O-lineman don't care if their job is made harder,  as long as it's not done wrecklessly and unnecessarily.   If it means a chance to help the team win,  then O-lineman will work their rear ends off to try and make it happen.   O-lineman are blue collar, lunch pail guys.    They not only don't mind working harder,   they love it....    as long as it helps them win.     And Luck gives them the best chance of that.

I appreciate that you were trying to say something.....    deep....    and meaningful....    and profound...   and that no one else would dare say what you would say.     In this case,  it's with good reason.    Just about every word you wrote is spectacularly wrong and uninformed.

Sorry........   There are plenty of legit things to criticize Luck for....    trying hard to win games is not one of them.     Players not wanting to be his teammate because he makes them look bad is not  one of them.    Luck makes their job harder is not one of them.    Completely false.

The long ball & waiting for someone to get open while being protected by year after year of a swiss cheese O-line is exactly why Luck has missed so much playing time .

The O-line is & continues to be a problem & the Long Ball is not his friend .

8 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The early morning smell of Indy driving in past Reilly Chemical & the west side around Harding & the White River stinks based on personal opinion over the last 36 years .

Although IMO its better than St Louis I remember visiting that City & seeing a municipal city trk that had a sign on the door that said Dept of Rat & Roach control . 

IMO FA's would prefer Carmel & Westfield Noblesville  .

I take it you have never smelled Brooklyn, the Bronx or Hunts Point.

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

NO.    STATE.     TAX!!

I have lived in Indiana most of my life and I have never paid 10% state taxes. Hell, our sales tax is even cheaper than NY. Check out the difference in property taxes too.

9 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The long ball & waiting for someone to get open while being protected by year after year of a swiss cheese O-line is exactly why Luck has missed so much playing time .

The O-line is & continues to be a problem & the Long Ball is not his friend .

Well isn't that the point of bringing in free agents? To fix those problems?

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have lived in Indiana most of my life and I have never paid 10% state taxes. Hell, our sales tax is even cheaper than NY. Check out the difference in property taxes too.

That's why I said...     roughly....

I appreciate that with 50 states,   state taxes are different everywhere.....

But zero is zero and pretty tough to beat.   So, when J'Ville makes a huge offer to Calais Campbell as they did a year ago for 4/60 then add X percent on top of that because of no state tax.     That made them an easy choice for CC to pick.

Plenty of teams in plenty of sports don't like it when teams from Florida, Texas and Arizona win because of the "no state tax" situations.     But it's a fact of life....

Sucks for everyone else....

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I voted No. 

It's not as unappealing as say cleveland, Detroit, buffalo etc...

For a lot FA's it's about getting the $$$ as it should be. Some only get a chance at 1 contract to make enough for themselves and family for the rest of their life. So if Indy offer is attractive they will come.

Others that are also looking for rings, city lifestyle, publicity etc... will probably sign elsewhere.

Cleveland or Detroit?/  I have to been to both of them quite a bit over the years and I would take Indy in a heartbeat over either one of them.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's why I said...     roughly....

I appreciate that with 50 states,   state taxes are different everywhere.....

But zero is zero and pretty tough to beat.   So, when J'Ville makes a huge offer to Calais Campbell as they did a year ago for 4/60 then add X percent on top of that because of no state tax.     That made them an easy choice for CC to pick.

Plenty of teams in plenty of sports don't like it when teams from Florida, Texas and Arizona win because of the "no state tax" situations.     But it's a fact of life....

Sucks for everyone else....

Those states may not have state taxes but they make up for it in other higher taxes and cost of living.

1 hour ago, Finball said:

It depends.Olivier Vernon more or less admitted that he went to the NYG instead of JAC in FA back in '16 because of New York. Jacksonville was.., well, Jacksonville.

But usually it's the money that speaks. That's the best appeal we'll have this offseason.

They should definitely follow the money. They have shorter careers and shorter contracts than the other sports....cash in while you can.

5 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

I want to be optimistic but no. Some people outside of Indy don't think Luck will be back. Our team is seen as the dregs of the NFL right now. I want to say yes, I believe we will significantly improve this year, but as of right now, no.

I think you under value the Colts. Not all NFL players listen and believe ESPN and other media hacks have to say. Most all NFL players have families and are well aware of the cost of living. That is where Indy has an advantage.

If the players have kids and let's say moved to Fishers, Carmel or Noblesville they wouldn't have the cost of private schools. They can buy a $800,000. house in Indy that would cost 3 or 4 times as much as say N.Y or Phoenix.

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It all depends on how these players want to raise their kids. Do they want the influence of Indianapolis or New York City?  Believe me or not but raising a family in Indianapolis rather than New York City is day and night.

These players would live in Carmel, Noblesville or Fishers. If they are interested in the cost of living then Indy beats the east coast big time. A $800,000. house in Indy would cost 3 or 4 millions dollars on the east coast. Taxes are a lot cheaper in Indy.

There are a million factors that go into it.  For example, if a player wants to pay as little tax as possible, he might pick Jacksonville.  If he wants to really grow his brand and market himself, he might pick LA or NYC.  If he wants to have a quiet life outside of the spotlight, he might pick Indy.  If a player wants to party a lot and live that kind of lifestyle, he might pick Miami.  It's all personal preference.  I'm not saying Indy is a bad city by any means.  It just seems like a lot of these athletes want to live a "big time" lifestyle where they can market themselves and go to lots of parties and be rich and famous, so in terms of that factor, Indy would have a hard time competing with bigger markets.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

There are a million factors that go into it.  For example, if a player wants to pay as little tax as possible, he might pick Jacksonville.  If he wants to really grow his brand and market himself, he might pick LA or NYC.  If he wants to have a quiet life outside of the spotlight, he might pick Indy.  If a player wants to party a lot and live that kind of lifestyle, he might pick Miami.  It's all personal preference.  I'm not saying Indy is a bad city by any means.  It just seems like a lot of these athletes want to live a "big time" lifestyle where they can market themselves and go to lots of parties and be rich and famous, so in terms of that factor, Indy would have a hard time competing with bigger markets.

Well in the big picture are those the type of players the Colts want on the team? All those things you mention are distractions.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That said.....

You succumbed to trollism, sir.  :^)

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well in the big picture are those the type of players the Colts want on the team? All those things you mention are distractions.

Yes and no.  For example, growing his brand is very important to LeBron, and all 30 NBA teams want him on their team.  A guy wanting to play in a big market for sponsorship opportunities doesn't necessarily mean he won't help the team win.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yes and no.  For example, growing his brand is very important to LeBron, and all 30 NBA teams want him on their team.  A guy wanting to play in a big market for sponsorship opportunities doesn't necessarily mean he won't help the team win.

I see what you are saying but there is a pretty big difference between the NBA and the NFL in the impact that one player can make. For one thing there is a hard cap in the NFL. The cap is laugh at in the NBA.