Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saquon Barkley is a Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders Hybrid! You don't pass on that period!

4 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

So for those of you pushing for Chubb instead of Barkley, I would like you all to go watch some tape on Marcus Davenport, who we could get in the second round and I believe is about on par ability-wise with Chubb. Give me Barkley in the first and Davenport in the second!!

Give me Chubb or Fitzpatrick at 3 and Davenport in the 2nd

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

So for those of you pushing for Chubb instead of Barkley, I would like you all to go watch some tape on Marcus Davenport, who we could get in the second round and I believe is about on par ability-wise with Chubb. Give me Barkley in the first and Davenport in the second!!

Davenport is being talked about as a mid first round pick. He went to the Packers in Kiper's first mock draft. If he blows up at the combine he might go higher.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. I'd like that too.

We will see where Fournette and the Jaguars end up this year, more fodder for the RB camp. :) 

Fournette isn't the cause for the jags success.  I don't see a drop off at all when TJ Yeldon replaces him.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Fournette isn't the cause for the jags success.  I don't see a drop off at all when TJ Yeldon replaces him.

I actually disagree, there are certain cases of yards after contact where Fournette shines.

However, his OL manhandling the Steelers DL was a bigger factor showing us building inside out is the way to go by building OL and DL for winning in January and February.

10 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

For what it's worth...    there are three reputable mocks out this week.   Kiper at ESPN,  Jeremiah at NFL.com and PFF...

All three have Davenport in the FIRST  ROUND.   One had him going 7th overall.

The Davenport secret is out of the bag.   Great find by you,  but he's not falling to the second round.

20 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Hear me out, we have 85 Million in cap, we can grab Norwell and overpay if necessary. ..As far as edge rushers Lawrence from Cowboys or Ziggy Ansah will be available we can get 1, and with eberflous as DC we have inside track on Lawrence...If it all works out we can sign Norwell, resign Mewhort...Sign Lawrence or Ansah as edge..Sign Robinson, Watkins, Amendola, Pryor, or Landry or 2 of them..Draft the MONSTER Barkley,  draft best ILB IN 2nd rd...Resign Melvin, Vinatieri,Desir and watch out...RT can be drafted, signed, or worked out between Clark, Haeg, and Goode..Haeg is a keeper regardless because of versatility. .If we have chance to draft Barkley and pass it will haunt this franchise for a long time, unless we somehow manage to sign Bell, and draft Chubb or Fitzpatrick which is the backup plan...

I believe Colts must have a game plan for Free Agency. They must target certain positions to fill. I believe they should focus on OL in Free Agency. At least solidifying LT through RG. Once this is fixed (Because Andrew cannot be out again), While still in FA, target CB (either resigning Melvin + someone else). If the Colts can have the CB and OL picture clearer, This will allow Colts to draft Barkley or Chubb. Without the OL and CB being fixed in FA, we cant target Barkley. 

I love Barkley's talent. He's a stud. Put him next to Luck, and that offence is top 5.

But here's the thing. Indy's of offence doesn't need a player like Barkley as much as the Defense needs a player like Chubb. 

The offense needs help, but they already got stars. Luck is a top 5 QB. TY is a top 10 receiver. Kelly is as good a C as they come. This offense can be very good with an RB committee of Mack, Turbin and another mid round RB (especially with McDaniels coming in).

The Defense on the other hand, needs stars/potential stars. They need game changers and playmakers. So far, we only got 1. Malik Hooker. And he's a 7 game rook who'll be coming off an ACL injury. We also lucked into getting him.

At 3, we have a shot at getting not just the best pass rusher in the draft, but the best defensive player period. Chubb gives our Defense another potential stud, who like Hooker in the secondary, can be a building block for the colts pass rush. Hard to pass on THAT.

I like Barkley. I'd love to see him Indy. But that's really the case with all the top picks. They're all good, and I'll support whoever it is Ballard and co decide on taking.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth...    there are three reputable mocks out this week.   Kiper at ESPN,  Jeremiah at NFL.com and PFF...

All three have Davenport in the FIRST  ROUND.   One had him going 7th overall.

The Davenport secret is out of the bag.   Great find by you,  but he's not falling to the second round.

Kinda like Solomon Thomas last year, who at this time in 2017, I thought the colts could steal in the middle of the 1st....:but the hype kept building and he went 3rd haha. Oh well. Good player.

6 minutes ago, Ryan43 said:

I do think Barkley is a special player, but the last time we won the Super Bowl we had a guy named Dominic Rhodes who was undrafted.

and....should of been the Super Bowl MVP in my opinion.

I am huge fan of Barkley because I think he will be special but it would be nice to build a Great Defense. Chubb may turn into our next Freeney or Mathis?

I have been flip flopping over who I would choose at #3.. Why not a Veta Vea ? He is going to be a bad butt in the NFL ! And don't give me this "draft position value" crap, I could see it before the rookie wage scale but now it is less of a burden on teams. Look, there are going to be good players in every round of the draft ! All I know is if we stick at #3 we will get a good football player !! #shouldn'tpostwhiledrinking.lol

39 minutes ago, Tracy Denton said:

I have been flip flopping over who I would choose at #3.. Why not a Veta Vea ? He is going to be a bad butt in the NFL ! And don't give me this "draft position value" crap, I could see it before the rookie wage scale but now it is less of a burden on teams. Look, there are going to be good players in every round of the draft ! All I know is if we stick at #3 we will get a good football player !! #shouldn'tpostwhiledrinking.lol

No thanks on Danny Shelton 2.0

11 hours ago, Tracy Denton said:

What use would we have for Vita Vea over Chubb, Barkley, or Fitzpatrick? Hankins and Woods are more than good enough. Not only that but Chubb, Barkley, Fitzpatrick amongst others I could name would have much more impact than a nose tackle. No way you can just throw out positional value. FACTS

This argument over Barkley Vs Chubb is getting long winded. Here are just some of the factors affecting this decision...

Talent of each individual player

Need of the team for each individual player

Support by the existing teammates to make each player thrive

Correct system in place for each player

Length of shelf life (average) for each player

System experience for each player

Level of competition experience for each player

Likelihood of impact as a rookie for each player

Rarity of availability of each player

Age of each player

Wear and tear on each player

Floor and ceiling for each player

Fans seem to think like its a game, where we are dealing cards with values on them....my hand is higher...so I win. I love the interaction and the discussion, but it makes me laugh to see so many things stated as facts. In truth, I am hoping we get a serious offer to trade down, and get both the player we wanted, plus value. If not, I trust Chris to roll the dice the best he can, because as Mr Polian said, its about a 50% game they are playing there. May fortune favor the bold and bright on 56th st.   

Reality is, that this decision is fluid. In addition, there may be a player on Ballard's board that you would not suspect. I remember the absolute silence when Edgerrin James was taken in the draft. And for all the crap Polian took, it was freaking brilliant. (That is not a hint that I necessarily want a RB)

26 minutes ago, jcwcoltsfan said:

For all you top 5 RB haters out there.

C_BCFaPV0AAtplu.jpg.8964c12329e7af8f94ebd8639777c868.jpg

When looked at context, each year individually, it's pretty clear that it's not that simple as those stats say. Most RBs drafted in that period weren't in passing era.

Weren't drafting for just next year either at #3. We're drafting (hopefully) for the better part of the next decade.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:20 PM, jshipp23 said:

Hear me out, we have 85 Million in cap, we can grab Norwell and overpay if necessary. ..As far as edge rushers Lawrence from Cowboys or Ziggy Ansah will be available we can get 1, and with eberflous as DC we have inside track on Lawrence...If it all works out we can sign Norwell, resign Mewhort...Sign Lawrence or Ansah as edge..Sign Robinson, Watkins, Amendola, Pryor, or Landry or 2 of them..Draft the MONSTER Barkley,  draft best ILB IN 2nd rd...Resign Melvin, Vinatieri,Desir and watch out...RT can be drafted, signed, or worked out between Clark, Haeg, and Goode..Haeg is a keeper regardless because of versatility. .If we have chance to draft Barkley and pass it will haunt this franchise for a long time, unless we somehow manage to sign Bell, and draft Chubb or Fitzpatrick which is the backup plan...

The problem with Barkely is he doesn't insulate himself from big hits.  Dude leaves the ground to much.  He's gonna get himself hurt early in his career.

27 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The problem with Barkely is he doesn't insulate himself from big hits.  Dude leaves the ground to much.  He's gonna get himself hurt early in his career.

Can't fear injuries, can't predict them either..Look at our last 2 first round picks Kelly and Hooker..Injuries happen..He has seemed pretty durable so far, doesn't miss games..He is built like a bowling ball, one of the reasons he is special...

28 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I noticed that as well.   That and he seems to stumble a lot.

I still like him very much, but those were the things I saw that need attention.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Can't fear injuries, can't predict them either..Look at our last 2 first round picks Kelly and Hooker..Injuries happen..He has seemed pretty durable so far, doesn't miss games..He is built like a bowling ball, one of the reasons he is special...

Well of course you can't predict injuries, but you don't want your #3 pick in the draft increasing the risk of serious injury.  It's not a hard fix at the next level, compared to backs who can't block or don't see the field well.  But you want to curtail the airborne plays to a minimum ( ie. TDs, crucial plays, etc.).

26 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well of course you can't predict injuries, but you don't want your #3 pick in the draft increasing the risk of serious injury.  It's not a hard fix at the next level, compared to backs who can't block or don't see the field well.  But you want to curtail the airborne plays to a minimum ( ie. TDs, crucial plays, etc.).

I remember Edge saying, "I don't do that". 

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

He was asked by a reporter...I believe, as to why he doesn't go "Over the pile', or jump into the end zone. It was in response to the talk about Barkley leaving his feet. 

I don't remember that, but I do remember him getting stopped at the goal line with some regularity, usually because he was too busy trying to juke guys in the backfield instead of running through them.  I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for leaving your feet, but Barkley just does it more than I wish.  Just watch the Akrum game, he did it like 4 times in the first 5 or 6 touches.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:48 AM, krunk said:

What use would we have for Vita Vea over Chubb, Barkley, or Fitzpatrick? Hankins and Woods are more than good enough. Not only that but Chubb, Barkley, Fitzpatrick amongst others I could name would have much more impact than a nose tackle. No way you can just throw out positional value. FACTS

Vea looks like a he will be significantly better than Hankins. More power, more speed.
 Woods won't be here when we are ready to compete.
 Vea won't be a Colt. He will be Great wherever they line him up..

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Vea looks like a he will be significantly better than Hankins. More power, more speed.
 Woods won't be here when we are ready to compete.
 Vea won't be a Colt. He will be Great wherever they line him up..

I do think he'll be a real good player, but like you said I don't think he'll be a Colt.

I don't think he's better than any of the guys we have been discussing though.

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

He was asked by a reporter...I believe, as to why he doesn't go "Over the pile', or jump into the end zone. It was in response to the talk about Barkley leaving his feet. 

He left his feet, jumped over the line, got hit, twisted his body like a cat and landed on his feet.   His balance is incredible.  I didn't want a RB, but man is he special.  I see what some of the others see in him...he looks historically good and I mean his football IQ and how he handles himself too. 

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

He left his feet, jumped over the line, got hit, twisted his body like a cat and landed on his feet.   His balance is incredible.  I didn't want a RB, but man is he special.  I see what some of the others see in him...he looks historically good and I mean his football IQ and how he handles himself too. 

I was talking specifically about Edgerrin James. Sorry, but the quote feature doesn't keep track of previous quotes (I get why...length). I honestly have not watched enough film on Barkley to say one way or the other. 

On 2018. 01. 19. at 4:26 PM, jskinnz said:

To the bolded...

30th in total defense

28th in passing defense

26th in rushing defense

30th in scoring defense

On what planet is that respectable?

Don't be fooled by the numbers. The Jaguars offense was the #5 scoring offense (#8 if only offensive points count) this season. Do you really think that offense is even remotely a top10 offense? This shows how much the 2 sides of the ball influence each other. Better offense means better statistical defense almost automatically, because that means better field positions, less offensive turnovers, etc. So I'd put this years defense already somewhere in the middle of the pack. They were much better than their numbers.

Nevertheless, I by far am not saying Ballard should stop investing on defense. No. Just keep investing, keep improving, there's still much to improve.

On 2018. 01. 22. at 3:18 PM, jcwcoltsfan said:

For all you top 5 RB haters out there.

C_BCFaPV0AAtplu.jpg.8964c12329e7af8f94ebd8639777c868.jpg

These are the running backs who were drafted in the top 5 in the last 15 years:

- Leo Fournette

- Zeke Elliott

- Trent Richardson

- Darren McFadden

- Reggie Bush

- Ronnie Brown

- Cedric Benson

- Cadillac Williams

A heisman winner who didn't live up to the hype, our very own Richardson experiment, etc. If Zeke and Fournette weren't on this list, I'd say Jesus Christ, everything but a RB. But theye are on the list, so I just say no, thanks.