Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden..

MarquisJ

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724248-jon-gruden-on-potential-return-to-nfl-every-day-im-preparing-to-come-back

Thought this was interesting considering many people thought that Jon might be available to us months back.. What are you guys thoughts on him publicly admitting he wants to come back and coach? Would he be a good fit in Indy? Personally I think it would be dumb if the Colts didn't explore the idea... CB might have some ideas on who he wants already if coach Pagano doesn't work out but Id love to have Jon Gruden if thats the case.

27 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

If Ballard wants gruden I would be ok with it. 

I'm with you Nanny, Ballard is the first Colt GM that I haven't questioned any decision he made in the off-season.

His philosophy mirrors mine in building the lines first and defense. Having a franchise QB does'nt hurt either.

I am not interested in a coach who has been out of the NFL this long and was fired at his last stop.  I think it's very possible the game has passed him by.  The only time if fairly recent history that I can think of that this worked out was Dick Vermeil.  Just about every other time a coach has comeback after taking significant time off they have failed in recent NFL history. 

I could definitely see him & Ballard working well together. Gruden was always known for physical & competitive practices from what I remeber when he was in Tampa, and I also think he'd do wonders with Luck. But, IMO we've got Pagano through this year no matter what, so might as well embrace it.

Gruden does pretty well with a team that was built before his arrival but not too good when it is up to him.

Like him or not the players who have played for him have not much good to say about him.

Sorry, IMO I don't want a coach who likes the camera better than he does coaching.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not interested in a coach who has been out of the NFL this long and was fired at his last stop.  I think it's very possible the game has passed him by.  The only time if fairly recent history that I can think of that this worked out was Dick Vermeil.  Just about every other time a coach has comeback after taking significant time off they have failed in recent NFL history. 

Tony Dungy was fired from that same Bucs organization before coming here soo...not a great point!  Many coaches when they step away do not consistently break tape down and stay as current with the league as he has.  He isn't just sitting at home looking out the window.  He works with players and still watches and learns what each team is doing.  I think he might of gained a little from his hiatus.  And I have never understood why so many hate on him and call him mediocre.  Not saying you but many in this forum.  

23 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Tony Dungy was fired from that same Bucs organization before coming here soo...not a great point!  Many coaches when they step away do not consistently break tape down and stay as current with the league as he has.  He isn't just sitting at home looking out the window.  He works with players and still watches and learns what each team is doing.  I think he might of gained a little from his hiatus.  And I have never understood why so many hate on him and call him mediocre.  Not saying you but many in this forum.  

Tony Dungy wasn't out of the NFL for close to 10 years before he came here.  He also made the playoffs and had a winning record his last year in Tampa.  Other than the fact both men got fired by the Bucs the situations couldn't be more different.

Also a lot of coaches that get fired and come back do go to work for the media in between coaching jobs and spend hours a week watching tape to prepare for what they do on Sundays.  That's part of why networks want them they see things watching tape that others don't.

22 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Look at his record. He has a record of a mediocre coach. 95-81 in regular season and 5-4 in post season.

Do you think there is a reason he coached at 7 different teams in 12 years? If so what is the reason you think?

If the cultural problems attributed to Grigson v. Pagano v. the FO v. the team aren't solved, I'm not sure we could get Gruden, or any other NFL coach - maybe not even Adam Morris of Muncie Central HS - for HC. Ballard has his hands full with the bigger issues. He's not wearing a cape and red tights. We'll see.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Tony Dungy wasn't out of the NFL for close to 10 years before he came here.  He also made the playoffs and had a winning record his last year in Tampa.  Other than the fact both men got fired by the Bucs the situations couldn't be more different.

Also a lot of coaches that get fired and come back do go to work for the media in between coaching jobs and spend hours a week watching tape to prepare for what they do on Sundays.  That's part of why networks want them they see things watching tape that others don't.

Your original post was that you're not interested in a coach who was fired at his last stop.  In response to that, so was Dungy before coming here.  I do not care about anything else but with that point you are irrelevant with stating that.  And I agree with the second part, most coaches who are fired stay in the league some how or go to the media to help stay current.  From there some come back and others do not.  But I feel like this is something that has possibly made Gruden better in the long run if he does have the desire t o coach.  Also, just to clarify, at no point am I starting a campaign or saying I want Gruden as the Colts next coach.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look at his record. He has a record of a mediocre coach. 95-81 in regular season and 5-4 in post season.

Do you think there is a reason he coached at 7 different teams in 12 years? If so what is the reason you think?

A coach who built the Raiders and then went to another program and faced that same team in the SB has some skill behind it.  You can say what you want but even the solid Bucs had to have a good coach and scheme to stay consistent.  Teams can fall off at any time but they stayed solid under Gruden and even excelled to win the SB.  Also, I am not saying he is the greatest thing either.  I am just saying I do not believe him to be mediocre.

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

A coach who built the Raiders and then went to another program and faced that same team in the SB has some skill behind it.  You can say what you want but even the solid Bucs had to have a good coach and scheme to stay consistent.  Teams can fall off at any time but they stayed solid under Gruden and even excelled to win the SB.  Also, I am not saying he is the greatest thing either.  I am just saying I do not believe him to be mediocre.

But the Bucs didn't stay consistent under Gruden. Gruden knew exactly what the Raiders were doing. That don't take a lot of skill IMO.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But the Bucs didn't stay consistent under Gruden.

I mean in 7 seasons he only had 3 bad years but won a SB.  Plus they had a terrible salary cap situation and no QB for a little.  So I would say they stayed pretty decent in my eyes.

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I mean in 7 seasons he only had 3 bad years but won a SB.  Plus they had a terrible salary cap situation and no QB for a little.  So I would say they stayed pretty decent in my eyes.

His team made the playoffs 3 years out of 7. He was 57-55 at Tampa

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Tampa finished 3rd two times and 4th two times in his four seasons he didn't make the playoffs.

Again if he is 9-7 that is a winning record correct?  I mean being a colts fan you should understand that with Pagano as the coach.  I already mentioned his 3 bad years so the two season in 4th means nothing.

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Again if he is 9-7 that is a winning record correct?  I mean being a colts fan you should understand that with Pagano as the coach.  I already mentioned his 3 bad years so the two season in 4th means nothing.

So making the playoffs 3 out of 7 years cant be considered average or below? Even when one of those years he had a super bowl team already built for him? 

If you compare Grudens record with Pagano's record their first five seasons you will see Pagano's is better. But Pagano is not as good?  Pagano didn't come close to have a super bowl caliber team handed to him but yet took his team to the AFC championship game his third year.

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So making the playoffs 3 out of 7 years cant be considered average or below? Even when one of those years he had a super bowl team already built for him? 

If you compare Grudens record with Pagano's record their first five seasons you will see Pagano's is better. But Pagano is not as good?  Pagano didn't come close to have a super bowl caliber team handed to him but yet took his team to the AFC championship game his third year.

You for some reason are only focusing on Tampa Bay.  He was a little better than average in my eyes there and had some stuff hinder him and those teams.  In Oakland he was solid and built a SB team there.

I have never mentioned Pagano not being good so where is that from?  Pagano to me has had the pleasure of some Luck plays and heart to get him some good seasons.  And take out the first season of 11-5 because that was not him, that was Bruce Arians, but your stat sheet shows Pagano.  Pagano to me just makes the same stupid mistakes day-in and day-out and lacks the ability to adjust a game plan for a given Sunday.  He has been able to produce though and I will not argue that.

Right now the Colts have little chance of a SB for this season and may not make the playoffs. I think to switch the head coach now would be arsenic. I think Gruden is better off being a TV personality and I believe he thinks so as well. Does anyone believe the Colts failures to make it to the SB lie on Paganos shoulders?

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Right now the Colts have little chance of a SB for this season and may not make the playoffs. I think to switch the head coach now would be arsenic. I think Gruden is better off being a TV personality and I believe he thinks so as well. Does anyone believe the Colts failures to make it to the SB lie on Paganos shoulders?

I agree with you and would say that this roster is still not to that level yet and Pagano can hopefully show promise this year with more talent on the D side.  Plus CB might have 0 desire to change coaches or even bring in someone like Gruden.  And if we do not make it to the SB I do not think it would squarely be on Pagano for that.  Unless we are in the AFC Championship game and his coaching hurts us haha.

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You for some reason are only focusing on Tampa Bay.  He was a little better than average in my eyes there and had some stuff hinder him and those teams.  In Oakland he was solid and built a SB team there.

I have never mentioned Pagano not being good so where is that from?  Pagano to me has had the pleasure of some Luck plays and heart to get him some good seasons.  And take out the first season of 11-5 because that was not him, that was Bruce Arians, but your stat sheet shows Pagano.  Pagano to me just makes the same stupid mistakes day-in and day-out and lacks the ability to adjust a game plan for a given Sunday.  He has been able to produce though and I will not argue that.

Look, if you hand pick the bad plays over a season you will find that even the best considered coaches make what are called dumb call or mistakes. Pagano's getting called out is because of him being under the microscope by those who want him fired. His first three years he was not under the microscope because the Colts were winning.

Arians? You really think the players were not playing for Pagano when he was sick?

I see no purpose to go into the reasons Pagano has went 8-8 the last two seasons as we have all been through that too many times.

Adjust a game plan? Isn't that what he did when the Colts would come from behind to win games?

It is simple why the Colts went 8-8 the last two seasons and played from behind at the start of the game. No linebackers and no pass rush. It's not rocket science. We got killed on 5 yard passes that turned into 10-20 yard gains because we had no decent linebackers. It's bad when your defensive backs have more tackles than your linebackers. Had Pagano had better linebackers and a pass rush those two 8-8- seasons would have been different.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look, if you hand pick the bad plays over a season you will find that even the best considered coaches make what are called dumb call or mistakes. Pagano's getting called out is because of him being under the microscope by those who want him fired. His first three years he was not under the microscope because the Colts were winning.

Arians? You really think the players were not playing for Pagano when he was sick?

I see no purpose to go into the reasons Pagano has went 8-8 the last two seasons as we have all been through that too many times.

Adjust a game plan? Isn't that what he did when the Colts would come from behind to win games?

It is simple why the Colts went 8-8 the last two seasons and played from behind at the start of the game. No linebackers and no pass rush. It's not rocket science. We got killed on 5 yard passes that turned into 10-20 yard gains because we had no decent linebackers. It's bad when your defensive backs have more tackles than your linebackers. Had Pagano had better linebackers and a pass rush those two 8-8- seasons would have been different.

Where as I will agree with most of what you said, I will still argue that Pagano is not good at game plans at all.  Has he made some halftime adjustments...yes.  Why? Well I could argue because in some of those it was the lack of any game plan.  I am not here to argue the already over beaten topic of Pagano.  He has shown he is capable but he has also shown flaws just as any coach does.  He is our coach and is watched more by us therefore he is ultimately going to be brought more than another coach.  As far as his first season.  Were they playing for him, yes, but Arians still had the coach spot locked up and won coach of the year for that.

12 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I'm with you Nanny, Ballard is the first Colt GM that I haven't questioned any decision he made in the off-season.

His philosophy mirrors mine in building the lines first and defense. Having a franchise QB does'nt hurt either.

It really doesn't feel like this is his first time as a GM. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

But to truly understand his record, who were the QBs for games he won and who were they for the games he lost?  I think more than many coaches, the alignment between good QBs and victories, and bad QBs and losses, is much closer.  In Gruden's case, it would be a healthy Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson.

IMO, when Gruden had a good QB, he won a lot......a...lot.

I think hiring Gruden would be great for our offense.  I'm not sure how the defense would do, as it depends on his choice of defensive coordinator.  But you can't deny that Gruden really understands the Xs and Os of football.  He and Luck could finish each other's sentences during meetings and game planning

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

It really doesn't feel like this is his first time as a GM. 

In the short time he has been in control 'he gets it'. I don't believe Polian 

'Got it' the whole time he was with the Bills and Colts because the lines 

And defense were largely poo pooed the majority of the time he was in

control.

This problem won't happen under Ballard.

I wouldn’t want Gruden here. He was handed a team in Tampa. After which he was fired from. No thanks to Gruden. He can go coach with his brother who is equally bad. As soft of a coach Dungy is I would prefer him coming back.