1. 1. Grade You Give the Colts 2017 NFL Draft

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • Other

I gave it an A-.  Jumping up 5 spots and getting Lawson or Dorian Johnson would make it an A+ for me. 

If we could have gotten 1 of them, Mack and called it a day it would have been a near perfect draft in my eyes. 

My absolute perfect draft:

Hooker

Cunningham

Tankersley

Lawson 

Mack

Hairston

Hooker was a steal and a great pick up.

Wilson was a good choice.

Basham was a decent choice.

Banner is a bit of a head scratcher. We really don't need another project on the O-line, and that's what he is. I don't hate the pick but I can't say it makes any sense to me. 

Mack was an okay choice. I'm kind of "meh" on him, but he's okay and most of the good running backs were of the board.

Stewart is an okay pick. We can use another big D-lineman I guess.

Don't know anything about the Temple CB we took in the 5th. 

Walker seems like more of a 4-3 LB on the surface, but he's a play maker so I'll take it. Pretty good pick in round 5. 

All in all I guess that sounds like a B+ to me.

• Like 1

I went B+.  For me that is high because I'm a tough grader.  Only way someone gets an 'A' is if you get 3+ 1st round talents and no other head scratchers.  IMHO, I don't fully understand the Hairston pick.  The Banner pick I at least get in terms of size and the ability to play G and T.  Time will tell how he works out.  I LOVE Walker's value in the 5th round.  Great value there.  Grabbed a guy Mayock loved in Stewart, but I just wonder how he will translate coming from Albany St.  The first 3 picks were all 'A' though IMHO.

I honestly find it tough to complain about anything, even Banner will be interesting to watch because of his size LOL. There was a couple of guys I wish Ballard would've took that he didn't take when he had a chance but overall as a whole most of his picks were very solid. I went A- on his drafting , not an A+ or A but still damn Great. I think anyone would be happy with an A-. Hooker has Great potential - Wilson, Basham, and Mack all have Good potential. Those are 4 picks Ballard nailed for where we picked IMO.

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

Hooker was a steal and a great pick up.

Wilson was a good choice.

Basham was a decent choice.

Banner is a bit of a head scratcher. We really don't need another project on the O-line, and that's what he is. I don't hate the pick but I can't say it makes any sense to me. 

Mack was an okay choice. I'm kind of "meh" on him, but he's okay and most of the good running backs were of the board.

Stewart is an okay pick. We can use another big D-lineman I guess.

Don't know anything about the Temple CB we took in the 5th. 

Walker seems like more of a 4-3 LB on the surface, but he's a play maker so I'll take it. Pretty good pick in round 5. 

All in all I guess that sounds like a B+ to me.

I think they are all good pickups best draft we have had in a long time.

• Like 1

My personal A+ in parentheses, meaning who I would have picked at the time.  Which ignores when they were eventually picked.

Hooker A+ (or Jonathan Allen)

Wilson A (Joe Mixon)

Basham B+ (Carl Lawson)

Banner C (Marlon Mack)

Mack A+

Stewart D+ (Bucky Hodges)

Hairston C (Brian Allen)

Walker A+

B+ overall since higher picks are weighted more.

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'm real upset we didn't get Eric Wilson(lol)

But it was a great draft. Confused about Banner because I thought we needed guard, but what do I know  

After reading a film study on Brian Schwenke I'm confident that he will be the guard that takes over Jon Harrison's role last year and may even beat out Haeg.

• Like 2

I know most everyone is unhappy with the Banner pick in the 4th.  Maybe the coaches felt none of the linemen left were better than Haeg or Clark.  So, why not go with a monster from an incredible bloodline with great intelligence.  Give him a year with a strict diet, workout plan, and technique work and who knows, maybe we will have the next Alajandro Villanueva or John Ogden.  CB took one calculated risk in this draft on a mountain of a man with huge upside.  I think he will prove to be worth the small risk that comes with reaching on a 4th round pick.

On 4/29/2017 at 10:00 PM, Bluefire4 said:

After reading a film study on Brian Schwenke I'm confident that he will be the guard that takes over Jon Harrison's role last year and may even beat out Haeg.

Yeah I was also convinced that Schwenke could be the RG of the future. I think Haeg is your backup swing tackle who can play guard in a pinch. Banner has the tools to be a backup LT or RT. If he gets to a good playing weight. 

But who knows. Maybe we're all underestimating him. Maybe he drops down to like 315, responds to coaching well, and competes with Clark for the starting RT spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't grade the draft at this time.  As Gil Brandt says, you really don't know about a player until 2 1/2 year mark. He also says you can't use season one as a watermark, either.  Then he gives an example (has many, but this appears to be his favorite).

He says Randy White was drafted 2nd overall in round one 1975, and did not earn a starting job at middle linebacker his 1st two years (Lee Roy Jordan was the MLB) on the team. In year 3, Bob Breunig took over the Mike position and he held it for 9 years.  Also sometime during that year 3, White was moved to right DT. White then had a breakout year, garnering a Pro Bowl, All-Pro, and Co MVP of Super Bowl XIII.  HOF came after a posting fantastic career.

Burton Lawless was drafted round 2 that year (1975, 44th overall).  He won a starting job (Lt. Guard) right away, but was a platoon player the next season. The following year after that, injuries gave him a starting role again, but then the year after that he was just a messenger guard once more and retired a year or so after that.

So Round 1 guy Gil drafts doesn't start until mid year of his 3rd, and Round 2 guy starts right away, but next season loses his starting job and can't ever fully regain it.

He says things are really not different today...

Except we all know pressure to succeed right now is at an all time high.  Thus the cut TJ Green talk out of some... which is nonsense.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I can't grade the draft at this time.  As Gil Brandt says, you really don't know about a player until 2 1/2 year mark.

Pretty sure everybody here giving grades knows that :) .  

• 10 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, Matthew Gilbert said:

Colts best draft in a long time. Banner was the only pick that I didn't love. I don't think it was a terrible pick but I liked a couple of other lineman more that were still on the board. Every single one of our picks can contribute at some capacity this season, IMO.

Apparently Banner saw time in Cleveland this past season. Again, the only pick I didn't love.