Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Nate Hairston, CB, Temple

MTC

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nate-hairston?id=2558108

BOTTOM LINE

Raw but very moldable prospect. Hairston shows good awareness from zone and his physical style and willingness to come tackle make him an immediate fit for primarily zone cover teams. However he may have the tools to eventually become a solid bump-and-run cornerback as he becomes more experienced at the position. Hairston is a projection-based talent who should become a much better player in two years than he is today.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Topped it off with a cherry Baby! Anthony Walker Jr. Outstanding draft Ballard. Outstanding. Kudos!

It's not done, we got another 5th from San Fran by trading down in the 4th to get Mack

Edit: Just realized you were talking about that last pick, I am a dumb lmao

1 minute ago, I'm Negan said:

People think because the guy is a 5th round pick that he's no good.

Richard Sherman was a 5th RD pick.

I rest my case..

He's talented man. The only reason he's a 5th round pick is b/c he's a one year starter. If he would've been a 3 year starter, he would've been a 1st or 2nd round pick. We got a steal. 

NATE HAIRSTON–TEMPLE
5117|196 lbs|5SR Frederick, Md. (Gov. Thomas Johnson) 6/30/1994 (age 22) #15
YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT GRADE 6th Round
2012: Redshirted MEASUREABLES Arm: 31 | Hand: 09 1/2 | Wingspan: 73 7/8
2013: (8/0) 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 (WR) COMBINE 40-YD: 4.52 | 10-YD: 1.59 | 20-YD: 2.65 | BP: 14 | VJ: 35 1/2 | BJ: 09’10”
2014: (7/1) 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 (WR) PRO DAY SS: 4.47 | LS: 11.56 | 3C: 6.85
2015: (14/1) 11 0.0 0.0 0 1 0 (CB)
2016: (14/14) 27 3.0 0.0 0 5 2 (CB)
Total: (43/16) 38 3.0 0.0 0 6 2
BACKGROUND: A two-star wide receiver recruit out of high school, Nathan “Nate” Hairston played both receiver and cornerback at Thomas Johnson and impressed enough at a Temple football camp to earn a scholarship as a wideout, his only FBS-level offer. After redshirting in 2012, he competed for playing time on offense as a freshman and sophomore, combining for 20 receptions for 150 yards over those two seasons. Hairston moved to defense prior to his junior season and started one game at cornerback in 2015, recording 11 tackles and one pass break-up. He earned a starting cornerback job as a senior (14 starts) and finished with 27 tackles, 3.0 tackles for loss, five passes defended and two interceptions. Hairston accepted his invitation to the 2017 East-West Shrine Game.
STRENGTHS: Checks the size boxes with adequate height, length and frame for the position…diagnose skills of a former wide receiver, recognizing route indicators and play design…quick trigger downhill to get past blockers and destroy receiver screens…good-enough speed to turn, run and stay with receivers vertically…smooth hips and body control to stay balanced when changing directions…grab-and-drag tackler to eventually get his man on the ground…always ball searching to make a play before the reception is recorded…graduated with a degree in finance (Aug. 2016)…admirable work ethic to make the improvements needed on defense after focusing on offense most of his football life…started all 14 games as a senior and experienced on special team coverages.
WEAKNESSES: Awkward backpedal and transition with undeveloped technical skill…plays tall and out of control in his movements…too easily turned around and out of position in coverage – savvy route runners will be licking their chops…immature cover awareness, especially with his back to the line of scrimmage…tends to panic at the top of routes and doesn’t have a great feel for timing…makes early contact and will be a flag magnet until he figures out how to use his hands downfield…not a proven playmaker with the ball in the air – only two career interceptions and both were gifts…needs to refine his tackling mechanics…too often lost contain to his side of the field…lacks the upper body power to tear through wide receiver blocks on the perimeter…only two seasons focusing strictly on defense and only one as a full-time starter at cornerback.
SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Temple, Hairston is a receiver-turned-cornerback who started every game as the field corner in 2016 for the Owls in both man and zone coverage. He needs an overhaul with his footwork and overall mechanics in coverage, often relying on side-saddle technique to hide those issues and keep an eye on the pocket. He plays quick, but not explosive and lacks the elite athleticism to make up for the wasted movements he shows on tape. Overall, Hairston has the toughness and competitive mentality to play on the defense, but requires a prepared coaching staff who will invest the time to develop his instincts, technique and consistency at cornerback.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/notes/2017-nfl-draft-positional-superlatives-cornerback/2/

Top Sleeper:  Nathan Hairston, Temple

Hairston entered Temple as a wide receiver and is leaving an NFL prospect at cornerback. With just two years under his belt playing the position, Hairston offers an appealing skill set that gives him a chance to get drafted. Hairston plays with smooth feet, balance, and loose hips to cleanly transition and match patterns. He is an aggressive tackler and never turns down chances to be physical.

He does need continued development, primarily in his ball skills, where he has yet to show consistent ability to play the football in the air and stay connected to his man. He is late to find the football and he has limited targets against him in game situations. His press coverage ability tends to yield mixed results, as he quickly bails before doing anything to disrupt timing. Hairston initially projects as a backup and core special teamer but it would not be a surprise to see him compete for a starting position by year three.

Definitely a pick looking to the future as replacement depth for Butler. Also keep in mind this is a contract year for Davis. I believe we'll get a deal inked, but it's nice to have something in the works as a potential plan B just in case. Either way, it's hard to complain here.

2 minutes ago, will426 said:

So is he a zone or man corner...cuz we only play zone when we have injuries and mainly play man coverage 

He's neither. He's a converted WR that played zone for 1 year so he's more familiar with it, but has the body and physical ability to play press man if you're willing to teach him from the ground up. This was a pure project pick to provide depth and options down the road.

Just now, SkyBane said:

He's neither. He's a converted WR that played zone for 1 year so he's more familiar with it, but has the body and physical ability to play press man if you're willing to teach him from the ground up. This was a pure project pick to provide depth and options down the road.

Ahh thanks  hopefully we get the db whisperer to work his magic 

6 hours ago, Solon said:

He's talented man. The only reason he's a 5th round pick is b/c he's a one year starter. If he would've been a 3 year starter, he would've been a 1st or 2nd round pick. We got a steal. 

Not just that he just switched from WR to CB what like 2 years ago? Def agree. This guy and Quincy Wilson provide height at CB we needed. Most of our DB are 5'11" or under. Hairston is 6' Quincy is 6'2" great picks and great draft for ballard and the colts.

32 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

Not just that he just switched from WR to CB what like 2 years ago? Def agree. This guy and Quincy Wilson provide height at CB we needed. Most of our DB are 5'11" or under. Hairston is 6' Quincy is 6'2" great picks and great draft for ballard and the colts.

I wonder if that is why it feels like a crowded backfield with the Chiefs with all those tall guys playing safety and CB (Eric Berry, Sean Smith, Marcus Peters etc.), more length to get in passing lanes and tip the balls for INTs or incompletions. That is also the reason why the Steelers chose to run the ball more vs the Chiefs, too bad the Chiefs' offense stunk to high heavens in the playoff game. 

Give something close to the Chiefs' D and the Colts offense, we can go places in the AFC. I bet our next step would be learning to play 60 minute games against the best of the AFC - Steelers and Patriots and make the last couple of minutes matter.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I wonder if that is why it feels like a crowded backfield with the Chiefs with all those tall guys playing safety and CB (Eric Berry, Sean Smith, Marcus Peters etc.), more length to get in passing lanes and tip the balls for INTs or incompletions. That is also the reason why the Steelers chose to run the ball more vs the Chiefs, too bad the Chiefs' offense stunk to high heavens in the playoff game. 

Give something close to the Chiefs' D and the Colts offense, we can go places in the AFC. I bet our next step would be learning to play 60 minute games against the best of the AFC - Steelers and Patriots and make the last couple of minutes matter.

Yup its like imagine the texans will luck or even the browns if they got him  2012 not us. We are very lucky to have the QB already and other elite offense guys and just needing the defense. I would hate to be in texans position this past season. I see good things coming for Colts soon. Defense will def be much better this year and years to come. If Luck can make AFC Champsionship in 2014 and beat broncos out who won superbowl next year with the defense colts had imagine a good defense + luck.

The fact that this guy didn't give up a TD all season is incredible. That's draft worthy alone. Sometimes, most times, at least one play will stump a player. But this guy went the whole season without giving up a TD. He's a CB. That's just mind blowing to me. I love what Chris Ballard is doing and it shows that the Colts are in good hands for years to come

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think TJ Green was more unprepared to play than where Hairston is at. I think he can play some nickel during this season at a minimum in spots.

I think him playing over Butler just being a flex DB that plays either the extra safety or CB (whichever is needed) is pie in the sky year one. I think ultimately he's Butler's replacement, but he'll need at least a year on ST duty while sitting in the DB room before he's truly ready.

40 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

I think him playing over Butler just being a flex DB that plays either the extra safety or CB (whichever is needed) is pie in the sky year one. I think ultimately he's Butler's replacement, but he'll need at least a year on ST duty while sitting in the DB room before he's truly ready.

Nobody gets to sit for a year in the secondary and learn. Injuries always force the hand. Ask TJ Green. I think this guy is farther ahead than Djoun Smith or Green. His role wont be big but I think he will be used for more than special teams.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

It's great knowing that for years to come, our secondary will be the physically bigger guys on the field.  

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I like this kid, could develop into a really good corner by his 2nd or 3rd year, probably nickel, but I wish we had've  stolen Caleb Brantley here. Brantley would have still been better value.

The Browns have already come out and said they may end up not keeping him. There is alot of concern around his off the field issue. Im glad we stayed away.

On 4/29/2017 at 2:00 PM, ColtsBlitz said:

Found this great video analysis of him. I like his tackling and instincts the most 

I love physical corners. I'll take a few penalties early in the game to set a tone and force the officials to adjust how they call a game. More importantly I love  corners that like to tackle. Love how he finished those tackles...he could have just pushed the guy out of bounds in that first one but he obviously likes to wrap up and get guys on the ground. Glad he isn't afraid to stick his nose in there. Like his potential to contribute and make a spot on this team.