Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Romo Retires

King Colt

24 minutes ago, King Colt said:

At 6:47AM on 04/04/17 on Mike & Mike it was announced by Adam Schefter that Romo will hang it up and move to the broadcast booth. Too bad Texans.

It Don't Make Sense!

Surely he's. saved enough $$$ to live in a house....Or at least a nice apartment.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Love or hate the guy, he was one of the better qbs. HOF I doubt, but he's a name worth mentioning

His name wont even get brought up, zero rings, choked in big games, hurt half his career.  No way he even sniffs the ballot

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

His body is giving up.  I don't think he can last a season anymore.

He can't even last a game, he got hurt without taking but a handful of snaps in the preseason.  Sad to say, but he was done years ago.

My OP was @6:47 and I turn on NFL Network at 1 PM to see what classic game is showing and it is Tony Romo news and will be for the next 5-6 days!! To quote Charley Brown, "good grief". I just love the media ramming 1,000 versions of the same #$%&ing* news 24 hour a day.

5 hours ago, MTC said:

"Retires".

He'll be back. 

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Doubt it.  But if he does,  the cowboys still own his rights

I thnk MTC has a point.  And, the Cowboys have cut  Romo (and also releasing his rights).

So it's not even an official retirement, it's just a "stepping away", as Schefter puts it-

http://www.mlive.com/sports/2017/04/tony_romo_stepping_away_from_f.html

Since the Cowboys have released Romo (from the team and their rights to him) and he is now a Free Agent, the Cowboys will have to address the dead cap hit, most likely as a post June 1 release.  Superman will probably clarify this for us.

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Cowboys-officially-cut-Tony-Romo-relinquish-rights-52139184

Since many peole thought the Texans with Romo was a Super Bowl contender, its not the ring that draws him, but where he gets it from.  A few years back, he posed his own hypthetical to a local Dallas radio show.  He said what if, on his last contract, he is no longer a Cowboy, but say, (hypothetical, remember?  We all know about Wilson) becomes a Seahawk.  And say they win the SB.  What dores he have besides a ring?  A lot of people in Seattle liking him.  But he is rooted in Dallas, and will live there, even when football is over. So money and a ring don't appear to be motivators anymore.

But what happens later when the rubber meets the road?  A SB bound team loses it's starter (Derek Carr / Raiders anyone?) late in the year or while in the playoffs.  If Romo stayed in great shape, would he answer the phone?  And yes, that phone will be ringing all season.  But he'll probably have the sound on mute until later in the year.  I thought his team (Agents, etc...) were awfully quiet during this 'interesting' period. Now we know a some reasons why.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

My OP was @6:47 and I turn on NFL Network at 1 PM to see what classic game is showing and it is Tony Romo news and will be for the next 5-6 days!! To quote Charley Brown, "good grief". I just love the media ramming 1,000 versions of the same #$%&ing* news 24 hour a day.

Not everyone watches all day.  They are assuming they are getting a new audience periodically who may not have heard the news

1 hour ago, buffalo34 said:

Not only did Romo retire, he's replacing Phil Simms on CBS.

I couldn't stand Simms, but seriously, replacing him with Romo?

Rumor has it Manning turned them down so Romo is the backup

I just heard and I didn't think this was what was going to happen, and certainly not this soon! I wouldn't rule out a return either. This just doesn't seem like it's going to stick. Retiring just like poof? And even if that's the plan the phone could start ringing as soon as there's a problem somewhere like somebody above said.

I don't know what the jones for him in the AFC broadcast booth (or the Nants...no pun intended) has been. Putting guys from 1 conference in another conference's booth has always stunk.

He won't be back and if he did return, it would be for the worst. 

He will be 37 years old very soon, has a history of bad injuries that have shortened his last two seasons. The Cowboys have the best young quarterback in the league by a mile. Romo couldn't have passed the torch to a better candidate, Dak is going to be awesome for years to come in Dallas (as long as Jerry Jones don't manage to screw it all up for him)

Happy retirement...A Sean Payton find, decent quarterback in his prime, always plagued from horrible mismanagement from a team owned by Jerry Jones.