Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest needs?

backshoulderfade

I am sick of talking about the future of this team's leadership, so as a change of pace lets talk about needs.What positions do the Colts need to return to being a winning franchise in 2017?

As I see it, our top 5 is;

1. Edge Rusher

For the last 4 seasons this has been a top 3 need. With nearly all our edge players gone this offseason, they need to invest heavily here. I am happy with Akeem Ayers on the strong side. I feel we should address this need early in the draft. Garrett or Barnett are the dream but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

2. Linebacker

Tackling wasn't good enough for most of last season. They still struggle to cover tight ends and running backs. Our run defense has been pathetic.

3. Cornerback

Colts need more talent at corner. Most can't stay on the field. Vontae hasn't played like a #1 the past 2 seasons.

4. Running back

Gore is very old, he could fall off a cliff at any time. Our offense in 2014 was bolstered by Bradshaw's blocking and recieving in the backfield. A weapon here could make the O more potent than ever.

5. Nose tackle.

Can't. Stop. The. Run.

OL is a need too, but wasn't in my top 5 after heavy investment last season. Hoping they can develop some.

I still feel like edge rusher is a need above all else.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your list.  Its in the proper order, IMO.  I would pick any player in your top 3 positions at pick 14, if they were clearly superior than a player at the other 2 spots.

NT and RB can be gotten later than round 1.  Neither the need nor the positional value supersedes the other needs and positions this year.

24 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I am sick of talking about the future of this team's leadership, so as a change of pace lets talk about needs.What positions do the Colts need to return to being a winning franchise in 2017?

As I see it, our top 5 is;

1. Edge Rusher

For the last 4 seasons this has been a top 3 need. With nearly all our edge players gone this offseason, they need to invest heavily here. I am happy with Akeem Ayers on the strong side. I feel we should address this need early in the draft. Garrett or Barnett are the dream but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

2. Linebacker

Tackling wasn't good enough for most of last season. They still struggle to cover tight ends and running backs. Our run defense has been pathetic.

3. Cornerback

Colts need more talent at corner. Most can't stay on the field. Vontae hasn't played like a #1 the past 2 seasons.

4. Running back

Gore is very old, he could fall off a cliff at any time. Our offense in 2014 was bolstered by Bradshaw's blocking and recieving in the backfield. A weapon here could make the O more potent than ever.

5. Nose tackle.

Can't. Stop. The. Run.

OL is a need too, but wasn't in my top 5 after heavy investment last season. Hoping they can develop some.

I still feel like edge rusher is a need above all else.

i agree with you, just hope they have better luck at judging talent level this off season

Now that Mathis is retired, who is our defensive Tone Setter? (Defensive leader?) We need one of those, and one under 28 might be worth FA money (which is always overpriced) to get one for a few years; since I see no bellwether player on our D right now that could cause issues.

We need pass rush, but they usually take time to develop, so we need a solid CB prospect right behind that.Edge rusher.

A running back that can  slip through skinny holes bust out past 2nd level would be nice.

Solid right tackle, athletic ILB, safety depth, any decent depth in latter rounds.

So many needs for this team.

Top 5 would be:

1.) OLB (pass rusher)

2.) ILB (balanced)

3.) CB (The only "priority" FA singing the Colts had was Robinson and that didn't work out at all. Also Butler wants to play safety.)

4.) DL (need more playmakers/ depth isn't terrible.)

5.) RB ( If Cook or Fournette are available in 1st when the Colts are picking they are must drafts.)

53 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

We run a 3-4 and we need all four LBs

All 4 spots. I'd say we have some very capable backup depth in Ayers, Morrison, Walden, & Jackson, but we need starters in front of them. I know Walden had 10 sacks last year, but I don't see that type of production from him 2 years in a row.

Imo,  Id see if we can move up or pick a franchise LT. Move Costanzo to RT or trade or cut him to save money if possible. I think were an OLine from at least being a dominant offense. If u can at least dominate 1 side of the ball,  thats an improvement. 

I believe u can generate pressure by becoming more blitz happy. 

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

So many needs for this team.

Top 5 would be:

1.) OLB (pass rusher)

2.) ILB (balanced)

3.) CB (The only "priority" FA singing the Colts had was Robinson and that didn't work out at all. Also Butler wants to play safety.)

4.) DL (need more playmakers/ depth isn't terrible.)

5.) RB ( If Cook or Fournette are available in 1st when the Colts are picking they are must drafts.)

I agree if Cook or Fournette are available in the 1st, the Colts almost have to take them.  If not, I honestly wouldn't have a problem with trading down in the first to get more picks in the mid-rounds.  This team has a lot of needs on defense and I don't see just 7 picks being enough.  Besides, not every pick is going to be a starter so that is really just 3-4 starters even if it is a good draft. 

NT is an underrated need. Parry gets abused in the run game. He got exposed when Anderson was out. I'd put it that need at number 2 right under OLB. I think the top needs are 

1.OLB

2.NT

3.LB

4.RB

But Cook Or Fournette at our pick could see us take a RB early.

Most Mocks have us having a choice between Williams and Cook. Both areas of need. The question is which is the better football player. If you draft Williams and he is a bust and Cook tears up the league then the GM is an *. If you drat Cook and he is a bust and Williams is the real deal then the GM is an *. Grigson has to get this right.

If both are great players I take Williams but I believe based on my very limited knowledge that Cook is the better player at this position then Williams.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

All 4 spots. I'd say we have some very capable backup depth in Ayers, Morrison, Walden, & Jackson, but we need starters in front of them. I know Walden had 10 sacks last year, but I don't see that type of production from him 2 years in a row.

Me either. He did have 10 sacks, but had like a 47 pass rushing grade. 

With all of our defensive needs l would make RB to groom behind Gore a lower priority for this year and try to get lucky with a later round RB pick. We can make do with Gore and Tobin if the draftee doesn't work out. I wanted to see more use of Todman too. I thought he was getting to the 2nd level better than the other 2. And forget Ferguson!

We sorely need all the young defenders we can get.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Guys like Cook and Fournette are not a dime a dozen.

Agreed.  I'm never for drafting a RB in round one, unless the team is already loaded.  

But if we took either of those guys, especially Cook, I wouldn't complain.  

3 hours ago, 12to13 said:

There's a lot of talented LBs in this draft. It could be a really good draft. 

This won't be popular....

But.....

I'm not sure how much talent there is at outside linebacker.       I much of the top EDGE talent are 4-3 DE's,  some of whom will be asked to convert to 3-4 OLB's.      And not all of them will make that conversion.

It's a very good year for EDGE,  but pure 3-4 OLB's....     I have serious doubts.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

But.....

I'm not sure how much talent there is at outside linebacker.       I much of the top EDGE talent are 4-3 DE's,  some of whom will be asked to convert to 3-4 OLB's.      And not all of them will make that conversion.

It's a very good year for EDGE,  but pure 3-4 OLB's....     I have serious doubts.

The best 3-4 OLB is probably Williams. The next guy that I think could make the transition easy is Carl Lawson. But I'm also a big Demarcus Walker fan.

The theme for this draft and off season should be making sure that we are a much better defensive team, specifically pass rush and making sure we are a whole lot better at being able to run the football consistently. By any means necessary!

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The best 3-4 OLB is probably Williams. The next guy that I think could make the transition easy is Carl Lawson. But I'm also a big Demarcus Walker fan.

Understood.

But numbers....    where are the numbers?    I'm not sure there's as much depth as you'd want....   and there are 32 teams and EVERYONE wants more pass rush.      Teams always say you can never have enough pass rush.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Good OP. I'd say:

1) Edge rusher

2) ILB

3) RG

4) CB

5) FS (assuming Mike Adams leaves)

6) RB

7) Edge rusher

8) OL depth

I agree with RG and was surprised  that spot wasn't mentioned more often.

You left NT off your list. You don't think that spot needs to be upgraded?

DL isn't mentioned at all. Our top I think we  have questions there too. Anderson has yet to get all the way back. He looks to be on track but didn't make it through his rookie year.

Ridgeway should continue to improve. I like Ridge looks like a a steal. The lazy label at UT is stuck in the back of my head. 

Langford will be back at $4M. He's going 31 off a knee injury. Then we are looking at Kerr Parry and McGill. Jones is surely gone. Am I missing someone?  I value you opinion I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the DL. 

I have RB down the list too. I would grab Boom Williams Kentucky late. He would be what we thought we were getting in Ferguson and more.

Small school players Hop Henderson and McGuire will be there the end of day 2. This class will have some help in the UDFA class too. I wouldn't mind seeing Todman more involved. 

It would be great to have Hunt slip to late day 3. You put him on a team like Wisconsin he'd be getting 1st round talk. He might end up the 3rd best NFL back from this class. I think he moves up boards the closer we get to the draft. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

But.....

Im talking linebackers in general.  But there is plenty of pass rushers.