Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay: "We Could Be 6-0"

Defjamz26

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not really saying much since we've played mostly below average teams besides the Broncos and, depending on your view, the Texans.

The Chargers are also like this, where they're 2-4 but have only lost their games by a total of 14 points, but that's no excuse. You are what your record says you are.

Just now, csmopar said:

Well, he's not entirely wrong. Weve not really been flat spanked. A few self inflicted wounds and some missed tackles, the only game I think we weren't I was the jags. 

That's been the story for 4 years now. Plus you can say the same about any team that loses a close game by that logic. Hell the Browns could be 6-0

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's been the story for 4 years now. Plus you can say the same about any team that loses a close game by that logic. Hell the Browns could be 6-0

Very true. But if we were 6 and 0, would we be having this conversation? 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No. But we're not which is the point. Should've, could've , would've is loser talk 101. Everyone "could've" won this game or that one in hindsight. Could've doesn't win championships though. Could've won that Patriots game last year too but...

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Bad football teams are more often 2-4 than 6-0.

This has been a bad football team over the first 6 weeks of the season. They have tackled poorly (horribly ?)  , have zero pass rush , often can't protect the QB , weak enough that their coach twice with the game on the line won't run the ball 4th and inches. If that's not enough .. they can't cover RB's or TE's and our guys drop far too many passes.  

Our owner's comments are ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

No. But we're not which is the point. Should've, could've , would've is loser talk 101. Everyone "could've" won this game or that one in hindsight. Could've doesn't win championships though. Could've won that Patriots game last year too but...

to complete that last sentence ..... they have a smart owner , great coach and way better talent.

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

It IS plausible that we could be 6-0. However, this isn't something an owner should say.

It IS also "more plausible " that we could be 0-6. The only team we really outplayed for a majority of the game was Houston. The Bears I would call a toss up.

So blinded by hate that Irsay could end world hunger and you'd complain that he should've spent the money to hire a better GM. His statement is correct. This is the NFL. This is true for most teams. At the very least we should be 5-1. The Denver game being the exception, although drop the two turnovers and you've got yourself a game. It's easy to lose games. 1 plays is all it takes. 

2 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

So blinded by hate that Irsay could end world hunger and you'd complain that he should've spent the money to hire a better GM. His statement is correct. This is the NFL. This is true for most teams. At the very least we should be 5-1. The Denver game being the exception, although drop the two turnovers and you've got yourself a game. It's easy to lose games. 1 plays is all it takes. 

Good teams win more of those close games though. The Patriots don't blow every team out of the water but they win those close games, which is PART of the reason they have 4 rings and haven't missed the playoffs in forever. Youre basically discrediting the skill that some teams have to close out games and saying that most of it is a coin flip. Plus it works both ways. Colts could just as easily be 0-6. Which is precisely why you don't make "could've " statements.

I didnt mind us bringing Pagano back or Grigson I dont believe in complete turnover every 2-3 years, you become the Browns if you do that consistency is a requirement of winning.  That said I think this year is the year that Irsay needs to make that decision, when this season is over if it turns out the way it is currently looking than I think he needs to admit his mistake and right the ship for sure.

I am extremely dissapointed with this team this year and the moves that were made or not made in the off season.  However I do see a little bit of hope, the O Line is actually starting to play better, I am not saying it is good but it is showing improvement every week.  The defense well it is just not good although it did play quite well for the majority of the Houston game so there is hope.

Anyway enough of that, what Irsay said was ridiculous and I would bet he doesnt buy it anymore than we do but he needs to say those things at least I hope that is the case.

Lets see what happens against the Titans, if we lose that game this season is definitely over for us.

16 minutes ago, antipatriot said:

I didnt mind us bringing Pagano back or Grigson I dont believe in complete turnover every 2-3 years, you become the Browns if you do that consistency is a requirement of winning.  That said I think this year is the year that Irsay needs to make that decision, when this season is over if it turns out the way it is currently looking than I think he needs to admit his mistake and right the ship for sure.

I am extremely dissapointed with this team this year and the moves that were made or not made in the off season.  However I do see a little bit of hope, the O Line is actually starting to play better, I am not saying it is good but it is showing improvement every week.  The defense well it is just not good although it did play quite well for the majority of the Houston game so there is hope.

Anyway enough of that, what Irsay said was ridiculous and I would bet he doesnt buy it anymore than we do but he needs to say those things at least I hope that is the case.

Lets see what happens against the Titans, if we lose that game this season is definitely over for us.

Every 2-3 years?  Last season was year 4.  That's more than enough time to evaluate Chuck and Grigson......especially Grigson.

54 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

The bears kicker cost them the win.

And a late TD to Hilton won us the Chargers game. Two sides to a coin. Man what's with our from office people making ridiculous statements all of a sudden? First Grigson with "It's going to take some time to build the D because of Luck's contract" and now this. Next week it'll be Pagano saying we're the best team in the AFC.

Irsay loses no matter what he says.  Look, I'm very disappointed too, kinda in a daze about how the season has gone.  But a couple months ago, almost all of us were excited about the potential of the team.  Sure, LB was a concern, and still is, but most of us were excited about the OL, DL, CBs, WR, etc.. We were hit with a TON of injuries, and I just don't see a chemistry on D.  Perhaps partly players, a new coaching staff, etc has had a part of that but just better tackling would go a long way too. 

On the bright side, the OL, imo, has done as well as could be expected.  Our main problem is at the defensive point of attack (DL) , where we've had injuries. And at pass rush which we knew we were weak going in.

I' thinking (or hoping) that the OL will improve more, and so will the DL (somewhat) with Anderson and Jones getting back in the swing (hopefully).

Sure we're gonna have to count on Andrew "slinging it", but that's who we are right now.

If we win this week, we still have a chance if we get healthy or at least healthier, beat all three at home later, and win 60% to 70% of the rest.  At this point , that's where we're at.  We really don't need much more from the D.  I feel it's achievable.  The D could not have played any worse at times.  And don't forget the unknowns we've had in the secondary.  If these guys just tackle on an average level, we're a dangerous team again.  I, for one, am hoping for that outcome. (Crazy or not)

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He really isn't wrong.  We scored to go ahead against the Lions with 37 seconds left, we should have won that game. We were up 14 in the 4th quarter vs. Houston, we should have won that game.  We lost by 3 to Jax, and we were right in the Denver game until late turnovers.

We most certainly should be 4-2.  Our team isn't terrible, we've had some bad breaks, done a poor job tackling, and have had a ton of injuries across the board.  If we get healthy, we have the luck of being in the AFC South and if we can string 2 wins in a row, we have a shot at having the same record as the Texans.  We have 2 very winnable games coming up, whereas the Texans are going to Denver this coming week.  We've got a tough one in 3 weeks vs. Green Bay (Aaron Rogers looked like he found his old self Thursday), but if we can go 2-1 or 3-0 to take us to the bye week, we should be in very good position to contend for the AFC South championship.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Bad football teams are more often 2-4 than 6-0.

This has been a bad football team over the first 6 weeks of the season. They have tackled poorly (horribly ?)  , have zero pass rush , often can't protect the QB , weak enough that their coach twice with the game on the line won't run the ball 4th and inches. If that's not enough .. they can't cover RB's or TE's and our guys drop far too many passes.  

Our owner's comments are ridiculous. 

Your comments aren't way off, but neither are Irsay's.  We literally gave 2 games away (last week vs. HOU and also against the Lions).  We have faced a ton of injuries to key players.  We have a totally new blocking system for the OL and a new defensive coordinator.  Despite all this, we should easily be 4-2 and we had chances to win vs. Jax and vs. Den.

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

It IS plausible that we could be 6-0. However, this isn't something an owner should say.

Why should an owner not say something like this?  I'd rather him say this than "The team is garbage, we could be 0-6, all hope is lost, etc....".     The fact of the matter is, we still have a very good shot at competing for the AFC South.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

It IS also "more plausible " that we could be 0-6. The only team we really outplayed for a majority of the game was Houston. The Bears I would call a toss up.

I don't think we've been 'outplayed' for the majority of games, though.  You are right, we have struggled to put together 4 solid quarters, whether it is getting off to a slow start (like usual) or folding in the 4th (like last week), we have yet to play a solid 60 minutes.  That said, I don't think there are any teams that made it seem like the Colts don't belong to be on the field with them.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Well when we could have been 6-0 AND we are 2-4 instead thats more reason to fire pagano!!!

Good coaches win close games, Bad coaches lose them.

Look at the injuries Pagano has had to deal with, and look at some of the talent across this roster.  Robert Mathis is our best pass-rusher and he certainly looks to have lost a step -- that isn't on Pagano, IMO, going into last offseason, everyone knew pass-rusher needed to be addressed due to an aging Trent Cole and Robert Mathis being the best options we had on the roster -- how was it addressed? By drafting a guy in the 7th (Bates) and signing 2 undrafted free agents (Maggit and Ron Thompson).  

Pagano has made some bad clock management decisions, but given the injuries and talent level he is dealing with, I don't think we should be calling for him to be fired this early in the season.  If we get healthy and fix a few minor mistakes, there is no reason we should not be in a pretty good position to win the AFC South.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And a late TD to Hilton won us the Chargers game. Two sides to a coin. Man what's with our from office people making ridiculous statements all of a sudden? First Grigson with "It's going to take some time to build the D because of Luck's contract" and now this. Next week it'll be Pagano saying we're the best team in the AFC.

Agreed.

I have no idea what he's saying when he praises Grigs saying he's done so much good these last few years. 

This roster is trash if you're 100% honest. Nobody to gamelan for on D and 2 stars on O essentially.

He makes it sound like it's a 10 year plan they have. Better hope Luck doesn't get killed by then or we might need another 10 year plan.

I'm a huge Jim fan, but he'd be better off if he'd just shut up right now or simply say we're struggling and we need to do better and we all know that and we see what the fans are seeing.

Irsay is smart to know that this team could also be 0-6 as well.      He knows all that.

I suspect he's simply trying to keep up some level of optimism so fans continue to come to the games and the team doesn't lose its home field advantage.

By the way,   and to be clear,  anyone who thinks Irsay is a bad owner,  simply doesn't know what they're talking about.    Doesn't know football.     Doesn't know sports.

You do not have the kind of success the Colts have had for as long as the Colts have had success with a terrible owner.     Its simply doesn't happen.      Teams that win as much as the Colts do win because it comes from the top down.       If we're struggling now,  then we tough it out and rebuild.     That's what good franchises do. and that's what the Colts will do.

Drop the Irsay bashing,  it's embarrassing for those who are just running their mouth.     :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Derakynn said:

6 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

If we was a well coached team ,had any discipline and play good fundamental football we could be 6-0 .he'll 5-1 at worst but we are not any of them things above so we are what our record say we our a undisciplined and badly coached team 

C'mon now, football isn't all about being disciplined or solid tackling and good game planning or playing for 60 minutes.

It's about chopping wood, being gritty and making the proper corrections from watching film.

It's a 10 year plan bro, be patient, we'll get there by 2022.

I'm so sick of this owner, front office, and coaching staff right now. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Mostly from Pagano, Grigson, and now Irsay.

When will Irsay stop settling for mediocrity and actually want to build a well balanced "team" that punches people in the mouth?

With the QB talent that you currently have, Irsay you should realize that people around him are the reason you as an organization suck right now. Bad coaching, and a lack of talent especially on defense is plaguing this team.

12 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm so sick of this owner, front office, and coaching staff right now. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Mostly from Pagano, Grigson, and now Irsay.

When will Irsay stop settling for mediocrity and actually want to build a well balanced "team" that punches people in the mouth?

With the QB talent that you currently have, Irsay you should realize that people around him are the reason you as an organization suck right now. Bad coaching, and a lack of talent especially on defense is plaguing this team.

That's also what's killing me as well. Everything has an excuse. Regardless of how dumb it is or sounds.

Bad play..oh it's because of..

Melting down at the end..oh it's because of..

No D...oh it's because of..

4th and a foot..oh it's because of..

Fake punt play..oh it's because of..

Just fix it and stop with the excuses.

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay is smart to know that this team could also be 0-6 as well.      He knows all that.

I suspect he's simply trying to keep up some level of optimism so fans continue to come to the games and the team doesn't lose its home field advantage.

By the way,   and to be clear,  anyone who thinks Irsay is a bad owner,  simply doesn't know what they're talking about.    Doesn't know football.     Doesn't know sports.

You do not have the kind of success the Colts have had for as long as the Colts have had success with a terrible owner.     Its simply doesn't happen.      Teams that win as much as the Colts do win because it comes from the top down.       If we're struggling now,  then we tough it out and rebuild.     That's what good franchises do. and that's what the Colts will do.

Drop the Irsay bashing,  it's embarrassing for those who are just running their mouth.     :facepalm:

You know I can't stand Grigson and I'm not too thrilled with Pagano either but your right NCF. I don't get the Irsay hate he really is an awesome owner. I hope your right tho and this is all just talk and if we happen to keep struggling then Jim will do what needs to be done.

You know I'm not happy but the Irsay bashing and blaming Luck for everything is terrible.

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You know I can't stand Grigson and I'm not too thrilled with Pagano either but your right NCF. I don't get the Irsay hate he really is an awesome owner. I hope your right tho and this is all just talk and if we happen to keep struggling then Jim will do what needs to be done.

You know I'm not happy but the Irsay bashing and blaming Luck for everything is terrible.

Thanks.....     appreciate the post....

And I get that Irsay is a bit of a cartoon character.     Big personality.    Big personal problems.     He's embarrassed himself once or twice.       I get all that.

But the man has worked his way up...    equipment guy,  scout,  GM,   owner....   hired good people around him like Polian,  like Dungy, etc.        We've had a great run.      I don't know how long it's going to take to fix the mess we've helped create with bad decisions?     But I believe we will,  I just don't know when.

I try to be optimistic by nature.     But this sure feels like a long, nasty season. 

I'm am not confident about tomorrow's games.     Tennessee's strengths are our weaknesses.      We might be force fed some humble pie tomorrow.      I hope not and would love to be wrong.      But I have a bad feeling about Sunday's game.......

Let's hope I'm wrong....     I'd be very happy to be wrong!         :peek:

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.....     appreciate the post....

And I get that Irsay is a bit of a cartoon character.     Big personality.    Big personal problems.     He's embarrassed himself once or twice.       I get all that.

But the man has worked his way up...    equipment guy,  scout,  GM,   owner....   hired good people around him like Polian,  like Dungy, etc.        We've had a great run.      I don't know how long it's going to take to fix the mess we've helped create with bad decisions?     But I believe we will,  I just don't know when.

I try to be optimistic by nature.     But this sure feels like a long, nasty season. 

I'm am not confident about tomorrow's games.     Tennessee's strengths are our weaknesses.      We might be force fed some humble pie tomorrow.      I hope not and would love to be wrong.      But I have a bad feeling about Sunday's game.......

Let's hope I'm wrong....     I'd be very happy to be wrong!         :peek:

I think Irsay is a real refund owner unlike a lot of the other owners and I like that about him. I'm like you tho I think he's just trying to keep spirits as high as he can by saying this. I agree about tomorrow seems that they are looking like a really bad match up their rushing is gonna be really hard on our D IMO. They got a mobile QB and that has never been good for us.

My take on Grigs and Pags (if anyone cares is (in a nutshell) as follows:

grigs:

. Overall, the draft picks have been good I think.  The Werner pick was , iMovie, the only real miss.  I discount the 1st for Trent as we were desperate for a RB in a year we were making a run.  The free agents could have worked out better but free agents rarely work well for anyone it seems and Grigs at least made contracts that didn't kill us if we chose to let them go sooner rather than later.  I think some underestimate the value of those contracts.  I like the fact that he seems to always be looking at people to bring in.  I'm liking the OL picks so far too.  Overall, I like the talent he has added.  The OL took a while, but we did have many other holes to fill and he brought in free agent OL instead of draft then.  You can't do it all at once.

i guess, summed up, I guess I think he's done alright overall.  Focus on LB next year would go very far for this D.  LB is the reason Pittsburgh had been good for the last 30 years or so.

pags:

. I respect the heck out of the guy, and the players seem to love him.  While I'm ok with whatever Irsay wants (he signs the checks), he's not exactly my kind of coach. (As a fan with a fan's perspective and opinion). My ideal coach is a no-nonsense, stern, cool under pressure, kind of person who CLEARLY defines what is expected and HOLDS players and coaches accountable.  Including and especially himself.  The same type of person I believe is best at running any organization.

I like Pags, I just don't see much of my criteria there. (Keeping in mind I'm no "expert"). I'm not crazy about coaches , or bosses in general, getting too close to subordinates.  Think Belichek for the extreme. I'm not quite thinking drill sergeant, just not a buddy buddy type.  When the crap hits the fan in games, Pags always looks stunned and confused.  For whatever reason, these novice eyes of mine sees him more of a coordinator type.  I want a guy who everybody looks to for strength and calm when things are at their worst and the team is reeling.  Heck, Pags makes ME nervous thru the darn tv.  Some of the calls thru the years , timeout choices, etc have me still shaking my head.  

I love and respect him as a man, but I just have no confidence in him when critical, TIMELY decisions have to be made in the heat of battle.  But then again, few are at their best in those moments.

my view of Irsay:

love him !

if I owned the team , I wouldn't care what us yo-yo's had to say.  I'd do what my heart told me to do.  And I feel that is exactly what Jim is doing.

was that too sugar coated?  Sorry if any of you get cavities!