Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL ratings have declined each week this year

Happy2BeHere

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the NFL as a TV product regarding viewership will be fine & bounce back after November 8th. 

Part of the issue was that neither the Saints nor the Falcons excite fans as Playoff or SB contenders on MNF. 

No disrespect to either franchise or fan base BTW. It's like the LA Rams or preseason football. I'll check it out, but am I riveted or mesmerized by it? No, not really. 

Anthem protests before games have a limited shelf life in my opinion. Fans get to a point where they just wanna see the kickoff, monster collisions, & touchdowns as the weeks progress. Not to say that events outside of football don't matter. They do. It's just that a number of fans enjoy the NFL as a form of escape from their daily obligations like a live concert, a movie, or just a place to forget about your troubles for a few hours. 

I think the over saturation of the NFL has taken a toll on viewership.

A lot of borderline NFL fans get put off by what is perceived as prima donna NFL players.

Yes it does rub a lot of people the wrong way for super rich NFL players claiming they are being oppressed. These players live in multi million dollar mansions and drive multi high dollars cars. Most of them can't and don't relate to what they are protesting because they have been catered to since high school.

Right or wrong none of us can do anything about what is perceived.

For the die hard NFL fans all we want to do is watch football. Most of us use football as an escape from the everyday grind. Most are not really interested in the problems of the everyday world as we all live it. The time we spend in front of the TV watching football is when we don't have to worry about life's problems. It's a turn off when our only escape is now saturated with reminders of our everyday life.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

These players live in multi million dollar mansions and drive multi high dollars cars. Most of them can't and don't relate to what they are protesting because they have been catered to since high school.

Beautifully stated CC1. Not that this situation applies to every NFL player of course, but there is something to be said for athletic individuals pampered a significant portion of their lives due to their speed, strength, & agility. I agree. 

Yes, I know. There are gritty, humble, undrafted success stories out there too. 

In terms of calculating ratings, I've always wondered how viewership is tabulated in an era when fans can record games to watch later at their leisure as opposed to the designated time slot on a specific network. 

We live in an on demand era now where networks don't get to call the shots anymore meaning consumers can now control when programming is watched & consumed. I think about this a lot. When there was only NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, & the broadcast day ended at midnight literally vs now with cable, satellite, streaming services, & entertainment options tailored to the specific person etc. etc. 

Heck, I even remember when TV programming directors tried to sue VCR companies for copyright infringement just because new technology allowed customers to record & play back programming on the original antenna based networks growing up. 

A pet peeve of mine is laptops & cell phones that allow programming on the go at airports, in cars, & on trains because I miss how important TV & radio used to be as a family event & bonding experience, which doesn't exist anymore--the mystique & magic of TV & radio as a communal event. I'm a historian/archivist by profession so I always notice generational changes over time. I grew up with a radio straight out of FDR's "Fireside Chats" too until a tornado demolished it. I miss that radio too. 

4 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Supposedly because of the National Anthem protests of players...it's definitely plausible and I think it has contributed to people reducing or stopping altogether watching.

Here's the article: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/09/28/nfl-ratings-continue-plunge-third-week-national-anthem-protests/

Well, I can't speak for others, but I have been watching less NFL games this year and that is the reason why.

18 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Well, I can't speak for others, but I have been watching less NFL games this year and that is the reason why.

I have a friend that has watched Football similarly to me over the last 30 years or so and he even hasn't watched it as much. He usually wants to go BW3's and does go and watch games. I talked to him last night and he told me hasn't gone out once all season. He thinks Kaepernick is a joke to put it as nicely as I can. He wasn't happy with Cromartie kneeling either and told me he may not even watch the game Sunday.

32 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I hate the game being used as a political platform & those that do it , IMO its like Hollywood telling me who to vote for I don't care about there damn opinions , The more I hear the less I like them I will not stop watching the games .

IMO there welcome to do whatever before & after the game but to doing it drawing attention to themselves just further divides people which IMO is stupid it was started by a * & now that bandwagon is quickly filling up .

46 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Oh boy. If people are that sensitive about the National Anthem, they should have stopped watching when the dog killer, rapist, and wife beaters were allowed to play. 

Those players were punished were they not?  This younger generation has no respect for the flag or the anthem.    Pretty sad considering what was lost to have the things we have.   Pick up a history book 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Those players were punished were they not?

No. Not all of them. And what does it matter? If you slap a man on the wrist for knocking out a woman's tooth, that woman's tooth is still knocked out. Getting raped scars the victim for life. That will never go away. And those dogs are still dead, regardless of how much time the killer spent in prison. But everyone eats their popcorn and cheer these guys on. Then a few guys take a knee for the very real social injustices going on and everyone loses their *. It's beyond ridiculous. 

Just now, QwizBoy said:

No. Not all of them. And what does it matter? If you slap a man on the wrist for knocking out a woman's tooth, that woman's tooth is still knocked out. Getting raped scars you for life. That will never go away. And those dogs are still dead, regardless of how much time the killer spent in prison. But everyone eats their popcorn and cheer these guys on. Then a few guys take a knee for the very real social injustices going on and everyone loses their *. It's beyond ridiculous. 

If they were convicted of a crime,   they were indeed punished by the league.   Big ben was suspended and he wasn't convicted of a crime.   So,  yes.   All of them

Just now, jvan1973 said:

If they were convicted of a crime,   they were indeed punished by the league.   Big ben was suspended and he wasn't convicted of a crime.   So,  yes.   All of them

And yet no one batted an eye. Which was my point of the post you just quoted. Taking a knee is not comparable to raping someone or beating your wife. And people who think that it is are the real problem. 

I think it comes down to a lot of things for declining ratings. 

Injuries all across the NFL, suspensions, some teams people don't want to see being shown all over America every week while some teams are only broadcast in their local market. The use of streaming games online, less people having cable/direct/dish. 

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

I think it comes down to a lot of things for declining ratings. 

Injuries all across the NFL, suspensions, some teams people don't want to see being shown all over America every week while some teams are only broadcast in their local market. The use of streaming games online, less people having cable/direct/dish. 

That's what I was thinking too. There are a lot of star players getting injured this year. It's insanity. 

Did anyone read the article itself?

What a load of biased, hot garbage. 

I was skeptical with the headline that the ratings fell because of the player protests.  That strikes me as big big reach.  But then they actually stated the words regarding Kaepernick he and "a host of other players across the NFL have joined him in his attack on the United States."

I stopped reading after that.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a friend that has watched Football similarly to me over the last 30 years or so and he even hasn't watched it as much. He usually wants to go BW3's and does go and watch games. I talked to him last night and he told me hasn't gone out once all season. He thinks Kaepernick is a joke to put it as nicely as I can. He wasn't happy with Cromartie kneeling either and told me he may not even watch the game Sunday.

3 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I hate the game being used as a political platform & those that do it , IMO its like Hollywood telling me who to vote for I don't care about there damn opinions , The more I hear the less I like them I will not stop watching the games .

IMO there welcome to do whatever before & after the game but to doing it drawing attention to themselves just further divides people which IMO is stupid it was started by a * & now that bandwagon is quickly filling up .

For myself, it comes down to a couple of things.  One I don't care to hear what entertainers issues are during the the actual show/game.  Outside of the show/game, fine.  Mostly though, someone does not get me to listen to an issue they have by being disrespectful.  If everyone that had an issue with something a government agency had done didn't stand for the national anthem , then I doubt there would be 10 people standing standing in the entire stadium.

Well I know why I'm not watching games. I'm not paying for cable, it would be a waste of money to pay 50 a month so I could watch TV 4 days/month. The NFL doesn't provide other ways to watch. I have Sunday ticket. This means I can't watch SNF, MNF, or any game that is actually in my market without going through illegitimate means. So I'm not going to watch any of those. The NFL is not as accessible as it should be. And that is on them. I shouldn't have to pay money to see the games. The fact that I have to sit through 2 1/2 hrs of commercials should certainly be enough payment. 

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

No one is comparing the two except you

He's asking why the heck people will tune in to watch rapists and wife beaters but suddenly change their minds because someone chooses not to stand during the national anthem.  

It's a pretty fair comparison.  It's almost like someone who is doing that is saying that rapists and wife beaters making millions is ok with them, but they can't accept that someone might not stand during the national anthem.  

I want to say that charting NFL viewership over a few weeks is kind of dumb.  Look for long term trends, not short term trends.  

If NFL viewership went down over a few YEARS then maybe I'd think they where losing viewers.  Measuring viewership over weeks is nothing.

Honestly this whole conversation is pointless.  A slight drop in viewers for a couple weeks in a row is a meaningless trend.  And the Patriot symoblism warriors are looking for any reason to believe that people are mad at the NFL for letting people express their free speech rights.  

Just now, BloodyChamp said:

The prime time games have stunk this year. Thursday night football just needs to go. A Thursday night football game used to be a special occasion. Now it's the equivalent of Thursday night college football. 

I agree.  I hate the Thursday night games.     Not a big fan of the overseas games either.

I know that my viewing habits have changed along with my responsibilities.  Two kids under the age of 4 will do that to you.  Plus I find myself not really caring two-cents about NFC games.  And tonight for instance - my previous routine was to watch those from start to finish.  I simply cannot do that anymore.  

Signed, 

Gramps

47 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I want to say that charting NFL viewership over a few weeks is kind of dumb.  Look for long term trends, not short term trends.  

If NFL viewership went down over a few YEARS then maybe I'd think they where losing viewers.  Measuring viewership over weeks is nothing.

Honestly this whole conversation is pointless.  A slight drop in viewers for a couple weeks in a row is a meaningless trend.  And the Patriot symoblism warriors are looking for any reason to believe that people are mad at the NFL for letting people express their free speech rights.  

I largely agree with this, but I would imagine e that advertising execs and marketing peeps analyze the short term, long term, and consider as many factors as possible in tracking trends, etc...

But your point about those enraged about the iconoclasm against the flag is spot on...

I just looked at the TNF schedule. I think this is how the league wants it (another reason they should just scrap it or go back to the occasional game). The Rams, Dolphins and Texans each have 2 games. That certainly wasn't a big game selection strategy lol!

As for everything else, it will all come out in the wash. Flex scheduling will kick in for the night games and it can for the other games to if, say, the Jags are 0-10 lol!

It has absolutely nothing to do with the national anthem protests. That in general, is one of many examples of the NFL politicizing itself into a form of nationalism. We should just have football games, and not have to constantly see the military and all this other super patriotic stuff that is just there. If you want politics, go to a political subject where it's the major focus. It shouldn't be intertwined into everything in American culture. The players protesting are doing it for a reason and they have every right to make that protest. 

Blaming it on the protests is a complete scapegoat and a cop out. There are many fans out there, myself included who roll our eyes at all the excessive flag waving stuff. 

The rating decline is due to several reasons:

Concussion/brain injury risk - This is going to take a major toll on football in years to come and is already making a pretty big dent. The risk of brain damage from concussions is becoming more and more wide spread. The younger generation before us, simply can see what we did not see 20-30 years ago. Is it really worth the risk? if you get brain damage or life sustaining injuries, the NFL don't have a universal healthcare plan to pay for players health problems. Maybe if they came up with a plan like that, it would soften the blow. But I doubt it. Football is a dying sport right now. 

Roger Goodell - No one likes him and that's a fact. It seems fitting that the ratings are pummeling after he just had to suspend Tom Brady anyway after the whole Deflategate "scandal" proved to be nothing more than two sore bitter loser teams whining that they lost to the Patriots. It's even funnier that the Pats are 3-0 without Brady and can win with backups to laugh in Roger Goodell's face. 

Goodell is simply one of the most unlikable sports commissioners ever. He could learn a lot of things from Adam Silver and how he runs the NBA. Adam Silver moved the NBA's All Star game from Charlotte after the state passed the most transphobic law in the country. Goodell would never do anything like that. Players protest ALL THE TIME in the NBA, and it's never a big deal, ever. Adam Silver even gives them his blessing in support. Goodell is a long ways away from being a good commissioner. 

Right now, Goodell cares far more fantasy football owners than he cares about the average fan. 

Star players - I'm pretty sure the ratings drop had a lot to do with Tom Brady's unneeded suspension. Say what you want about Brady, but he is a star player. Star players are who drive ratings. When you take one of your biggest stars from the game, the one QB who has the most Super Bowl rings of the past 15 years - you're bound to have ratings backfire on you.

Other than Brady, look at other stars and you don't really see any left that a larger part of the majority are going to want to root for. Peyton Manning is retired. Brett Favre has been gone for some years now (and we miss him a lot). Who's left? Rodgers, Newton, Brees, Eli Manning, Flacco - QB's that people in general don't really care for, unless they're a fan of the team that they play for. 

Over saturation - The NFL is an empire that just can't stop expanding. Did we need Thursday night games all year around? Did we need more games in the UK? Do we need more football, really? Add in how widespread the injury risks are and how dangerous we know concussions and brain injuries are from playing the game, and simply put; it's overkill. 

I'm guessing that NFL ratings have slowly been dropping the past few years because this is nothing new. 

The biggest concern right now is more than likely the concussions and brain injuries. Within 20-25 years, this is going to be a dead sport cause the new generation simply will choose not to play it and risk life long sustaining injuries. They don't have to risk this if they want to try Soccer (real football), Basketball, or Baseball. 

Monday night game ratings are probably pummeling due to the fact they've all been BLOW OUTS. People in general aren't going to sit glued to the screen when it's not a competitive match and it's just a one way blow out. 

20 minutes ago, Bogie said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with the national anthem protests. That in general, is one of many examples of the NFL politicizing itself into a form of nationalism. We should just have football games, and not have to constantly see the military and all this other super patriotic stuff that is just there. If you want politics, go to a political subject where it's the major focus. It shouldn't be intertwined into everything in American culture. The players protesting are doing it for a reason and they have every right to make that protest. 

Blaming it on the protests is a complete scapegoat and a cop out. There are many fans out there, myself included who roll our eyes at all the excessive flag waving stuff. 

Concussion/brain injury risk - This is going to take a major toll on football in years to come and is already making a pretty big dent. The risk of brain damage from concussions is becoming more and more wide spread. The younger generation before us, simply can see what we did not see 20-30 years ago. Is it really worth the risk? if you get brain damage or life sustaining injuries, the NFL don't have a universal healthcare plan to pay for players health problems. Maybe if they came up with a plan like that, it would soften the blow. But I doubt it. Football is a dying sport right now. 

Roger Goodell - No one likes him and that's a fact. It seems fitting that the ratings are pummeling after he just had to suspend Tom Brady anyway after the whole Deflategate "scandal" proved to be nothing more than two sore bitter loser teams whining that they lost to the Patriots. It's even funnier that the Pats are 3-0 without Brady and can win with backups to laugh in Roger Goodell's face. 

Goodell is simply one of the most unlikable sports commissioners ever. He could learn a lot of things from Adam Silver and how he runs the NBA. Adam Silver moved the NBA's All Star game from Charlotte after the state passed the most transphobic law in the country. Goodell would never do anything like that. Players protest ALL THE TIME in the NBA, and it's never a big deal, ever. Adam Silver even gives them his blessing in support. Goodell is a long ways away from being a good commissioner. 

Right now, Goodell cares far more fantasy football owners than he cares about the average fan. 

Star players - I'm pretty sure the ratings drop had a lot to do with Tom Brady's unneeded suspension. Say what you want about Brady, but he is a star player. Star players are who drive ratings. When you take one of your biggest stars from the game, the one QB who has the most Super Bowl rings of the past 15 years - you're bound to have ratings backfire on you.

Other than Brady, look at other stars and you don't really see any left that a larger part of the majority are going to want to root for. Peyton Manning is retired. Brett Favre has been gone for some years now (and we miss him a lot). Who's left? Rodgers, Newton, Brees, Eli Manning, Flacco - QB's that people in general don't really care for, unless they're a fan of the team that they play for. 

Over saturation - The NFL is an empire that just can't stop expanding. Did we need Thursday night games all year around? Did we need more games in the UK? Do we need more football, really? Add in how widespread the injury risks are and how dangerous we know concussions and brain injuries are from playing the game, and simply put; it's overkill. 

I'm guessing that NFL ratings have slowly been dropping the past few years because this is nothing new. 

The biggest concern right now is more than likely the concussions and brain injuries. Within 20-25 years, this is going to be a dead sport cause the new generation simply will choose not to play it and risk life long sustaining injuries. They don't have to risk this if they want to try Soccer (real football), Basketball, or Baseball. 

Monday night game ratings are probably pummeling due to the fact they've all been BLOW OUTS. People in general aren't going to sit glued to the screen when it's not a competitive match and it's just a one way blow out. 

I will say, I agree with Most of your post.   I agree with you that it has nothing to do with the National Anthem protests, and more to do with alot of the other things you mentioned.

Where I disagree,  and this is neither here nor there in what matters, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions,  but I am of the group that happens to like the National Anthem at the start of the games.  That's just who I am, and what I believe is the right thing to do.

I also like Roger, (go ahead shoot me now)  but I just don't agree that he's to blame for the decline.  

22 minutes ago, Bogie said:

"Not have to see the military and other super patriotic stuff"

You've truly out done yourself with this nonsense sentence.    

I agree,  the players have every right to protest the flag and anthem,  No matter how misguided they happen to be.    The issue at hand has nothing to do with either the flag or the anthem.   But good luck to those who want to get future endorsement deals while kneeling during the anthem