Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cuts..

MarquisJ

39 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Arthur Jones would be cut before Kerr. Kerr has been healthy and has position flexibility. He's also cheap.

Jones would have to stink it up in camp. They reworked his deal with incentives, presumably to give him a chance to get back and play well. If it were me I probably would have chopped him, just to make sure I don't get stuck paying him if he hits IR again.

On offense: Hugh Thornton -- starter last year, last remaining guy from the 2013 class, I think he can play but if he doesn't perform in camp, he's outro

On defense: Darius Butler -- several young DBs that the team likes, and Butler didn't have a very good year 

I've been saying Kerr and I'll stick with him. Ridgeway does what he does and has future starter potential. I'll also add:

Harrison-Blythe is better and is flexible.

Quan Bray-I know Dorsett wasn't great in the return game but he should get return duties. Plus Green can play a few STs spots. Makes Bray expendable.

Amarlo Herrera- There's going to be a lot of competition at LB and he may be the odd man out. Maybe he lands on the PS again

Nate Irving-Injured too often and I think Monachino wants to groom Morrison as the future starter at ILB.

Tyler Varga- Great story last year but I think they give Robinson another shot with an improved line and roll with Ferguson and one of the vets they brought in.

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

Name a surprise cut/s that will happen or someone who was on the roster last year that wont be here.. mine is

Zach Kerr

Tyler Varga

Jonathan Harrison

TY McGill, Kelcy Quarles, Josh McNary, Trey Williams, Winston Guy, Jonathan Harrison, Jalil Brown.

Not sure any of them are surprises, but all are guys who played (at least a little) for us last year who I don't think will be back.  I tend to agree with you on Varga, although, if he is fully healthy I could see him making it for his ability and willingness to do some of the 'grunt work' (i.e., special teams, blocking as a fullback, etc.).

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Arthur Jones would be cut before Kerr. Kerr has been healthy and has position flexibility. He's also cheap.

When healthy, I'm convinced A. Jones is our best DL.  I agree with Superman -- they reworked his deal and made it more of an incentive-based contract -- I don't think they did that with intent to cut him (of course, if he gets hurt in pre-season, it's probably time to move on).

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Tyler Varga- Great story last year but I think they give Robinson another shot with an improved line and roll with Ferguson and one of the vets they brought in.

I might be mistaken but I didn't think Robinson was still on the team?? Didnt we waive him late last yr? 

4 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I might be mistaken but I didn't think Robinson was still on the team?? Didnt we waive him late last yr? 

Yes, Robinson was cut lasyt year, I think our 3 rbs will be Gore, Turbin and Furguson. I really like Varga but IMO Turbin makes him expendable, unless we keep 4 for some reason, basically the same style of player.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

On offense: Hugh Thornton -- starter last year, last remaining guy from the 2013 class, I think he can play but if he doesn't perform in camp, he's outro

On defense: Darius Butler -- several young DBs that the team likes, and Butler didn't have a very good year 

Vontae had a worst year than butler to me but the pass rush and being on the field did the damage to both of em

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Quan Bray-I know Dorsett wasn't great in the return game but he should get return duties. Plus Green can play a few STs spots. Makes Bray expendable.
Nate Irving-Injured too often and I think Monachino wants to groom Morrison as the future starter at ILB.

I don't agree with these 3. However, i believe they are plausible. I do not want to see Dorsett returning punts, he doesn't have the knack and he'll be too valuable on offense. Bray is much more natural a return man and might have been our best returner in years.

Irving IMO is penciled in as the starter right now, the staff was high on him last year even knowing he was still recovering from injury. The depth is too thin at the position to cut a capable veteran.

Varga, I see as the most likely, but I think if he gets cut it'll be because of an inability to stay healthy. He runs hard and has great hands out of the backfield, could even play FB in a pinch. Maybe im just rooting for the guy too hard, but I see the backfield as Gore, Turbin, Varga, and Ferguson.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They put him on the PS. If he got waived off the PS then that's news to me.

I don't think they ever really cut him from the PS.  However, at the end of the season, the PS is dissolved and anyone the team wants to keep gets offered a Futures contract.  I think they just chose not to offer him a Futures contract.  Bottom line though is he is no longer on the roster.

21 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

if he gets hurt in pre-season, it's probably time to move on).

That's the thing, can't cut him once he's hurt, and his salary is fully guaranteed as of Week 1. They're playing with fire, but at least they reduced his salary in case he does get hurt.

3 minutes ago, will426 said:

Vontae had a worst year than butler to me but the pass rush and being on the field did the damage to both of em

Not at all, IMO. Vontae didn't have a great year, but he was better than Butler, and obviously has a tougher job. I also didn't think Butler had a very good year in 2014, and was ready to move on then. Not in a rush to push him out the door, but he'll have some competition, I think.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They put him on the PS. If he got waived off the PS then that's news to me.

No one is on the practice squad right now.

Robinson is not on the team. We waived him back in November (I think) of 2015.

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

No one is on the practice squad right now.

Robinson is not on the team. We waived him back in November (I think) of 2015.

He was waived from the active roster in November, but was signed to the PS the next day after clearing waivers.  

9 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

He was waived from the active roster in November, but was signed to the PS the next day after clearing waivers.  

He was placed on PS injured reserve, then when the season ended, he wasn't signed to a futures contract, so he became a free agent.

24 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I don't think they ever really cut him from the PS.  However, at the end of the season, the PS is dissolved and anyone the team wants to keep gets offered a Futures contract.  I think they just chose not to offer him a Futures contract.  Bottom line though is he is no longer on the roster.

Okay thanks for clearing that up. If that's the case, maybe Varga stays. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's the thing, can't cut him once he's hurt, and his salary is fully guaranteed as of Week 1. They're playing with fire, but at least they reduced his salary in case he does get hurt.

Good point.  The thing that keeps me optimistic about Jones is that the injuries occurred on 2 different ankles, and he doesn't really have much of an injury issue prior to coming here.  Also, in 2014, I think they brought him back too early -- I tend to think that the 'bigs' in the league should have a bit more time to rest/recover from ankle/knee injuries because they are constantly using them with force being applied from another big guy.

I hope, with a full year to recover, plus with our new strength/conditioning coach, he can stay healthy for once.

3 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Good point.  The thing that keeps me optimistic about Jones is that the injuries occurred on 2 different ankles, and he doesn't really have much of an injury issue prior to coming here.  Also, in 2014, I think they brought him back too early -- I tend to think that the 'bigs' in the league should have a bit more time to rest/recover from ankle/knee injuries because they are constantly using them with force being applied from another big guy.

I hope, with a full year to recover, plus with our new strength/conditioning coach, he can stay healthy for once.

Last year's injury was just a freak occurrence on what I thought was a dirty play by the OL. Hopefully he recovered fully, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has some long term issues from that injury. It was ugly.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Those would both be very surprising.  I'd say experience would give them the edge over any rookies that perform equally.  

Like me you said, if they stink it up in camp, or more likely, have nagging injuries, I could see them getting beat out.  

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Okay thanks for clearing that up. If that's the case, maybe Varga stays. 

I think we sign another veteran running back. Now that the draft is over there will be more cuts to come...add the fact that teams will have to get down to 53 by week 1...there will be a surplus of cheap veteran running backs on the market. I'm fairly confident we scoop one up. A lot of teams will let go of some quality veterans now that they have their replacements from the draft on their roster and when those guys clear waivers I believe we will fill in a few wholes left on the roster. Running back will be one that shouldn't be hard to find some additional help.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

TY McGill, Kelcy Quarles, Josh McNary, Trey Williams, Winston Guy, Jonathan Harrison, Jalil Brown.

Not sure any of them are surprises, but all are guys who played (at least a little) for us last year who I don't think will be back.  I tend to agree with you on Varga, although, if he is fully healthy I could see him making it for his ability and willingness to do some of the 'grunt work' (i.e., special teams, blocking as a fullback, etc.).

When healthy, I'm convinced A. Jones is our best DL.  I agree with Superman -- they reworked his deal and made it more of an incentive-based contract -- I don't think they did that with intent to cut him (of course, if he gets hurt in pre-season, it's probably time to move on).

Jones has never played at the level Anderson did in his rookie year. I doubt he ever regains his previous form with basically 2 years without football. 

15 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Jones has never played at the level Anderson did in his rookie year. I doubt he ever regains his previous form with basically 2 years without football. 

When Jones was with the Ravens, their D allowed 3.4 yards per carry with him on the field on run plays compared to 4.6 yards per carry when he was off the field. 

In 2014, the Colts D allowed <4 yards per carry when Jones was on the field, but wound up tied for 9th worst in the league giving up 4.3 ypc on average over the season (suggesting we gave up over 4.3 ypc when Jones was off the field).

Not to take anything away from Henry, because I think he is a very solid player, but Jones (when healthy) has been more of an unsung beast for us.  Also, for a good chunk of 2014, Jones was playing well below 100%.

I think Jones will be healthier to start this season than Anderson will be, also.  I hope they both come back healthy, as both of them can play multiple positions along our defensive front and our D will be that much better with the 2 of them healthy and active.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

He was placed on PS injured reserve; Not the actual PS. 

We did not offer him a deal after the season was over, so therefore he is no longer with us.

36 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

When Jones was with the Ravens, their D allowed 3.4 yards per carry with him on the field on run plays compared to 4.6 yards per carry when he was off the field. 

In 2014, the Colts D allowed <4 yards per carry when Jones was on the field, but wound up tied for 9th worst in the league giving up 4.3 ypc on average over the season (suggesting we gave up over 4.3 ypc when Jones was off the field).

Not to take anything away from Henry, because I think he is a very solid player, but Jones (when healthy) has been more of an unsung beast for us.  Also, for a good chunk of 2014, Jones was playing well below 100%.

I think Jones will be healthier to start this season than Anderson will be, also.  I hope they both come back healthy, as both of them can play multiple positions along our defensive front and our D will be that much better with the 2 of them healthy and active.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. I'm sure there were other factors at play as to why our run defense was better than just Arthur Jones limping all over the field for the 5 games he played. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Those would both be very surprising.  I'd say experience would give them the edge over any rookies that perform equally.  

Like me you said, if they stink it up in camp, or more likely, have nagging injuries, I could see them getting beat out.  

OP asked for surprise cuts. I could have name some fringe guys who probably don't make it past first cuts, but I didn't think that was the point. ;)

I'm pulling for Thornton, but I'm either way on Butler. Again, not trying to get rid of him, but I think he's been trailing off for two years now.

50 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation. I'm sure there were other factors at play as to why our run defense was better than just Arthur Jones limping all over the field for the 5 games he played. 

Correlation doesn't equal causation, you're right.  Fact of the matter, over Jones' entire career, whether be it on Baltimore or Indy, the defense he has played on is better against the run when he is on the field than it is when he is not on it.  Jones demands double teams, freeing other people up to make plays, and when he isn't being doubled he is collapsing the pocket or driving the OL back, creating havoc himself.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Jack Doyle is going to get cut?!?

Based on...................?

The opportunities he got last year he did not have a good year last year blocking and the chances he got to pass block he was atrocious. Though I admit this staff may want to go with experience.

12 minutes ago, Gavin said:

The opportunities he got last year he did not have a good year last year blocking and the chances he got to pass block he was atrocious. Though I admit this staff may want to go with experience.

I assume you have stats to back that up?

Because everything I've read here about Doyle has been positive.      Not that he's been a difference maker,  just that he's a good solid professional NFL player.

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation, you're right.  Fact of the matter, over Jones' entire career, whether be it on Baltimore or Indy, the defense he has played on is better against the run when he is on the field than it is when he is not on it.  Jones demands double teams, freeing other people up to make plays, and when he isn't being doubled he is collapsing the pocket or driving the OL back, creating havoc himself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Henry Anderson had something like the most tackles for loss/stops in football prior to his injury (at least amongst 3-4 DEs). Henry was in the backfield more on one series than Jones ever has been as a Colt. His impact during his short stint was far, far better than Art Jones'.

Art Jones was not very impressive prior to his injury, I don't care what the aypc says.