Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Ben concussed, could change things next week vs colts

csmopar

Here is the protocol that must be followed before clearance to play is granted-

Rest and recovery. Players may stretch and work on their balance, but they don’t work out beyond that. In addition, they’re advised against spending time on computers, any electronic device and social media. They don’t take part in team meetings.

Light aerobic exercise. Under supervision of the team’s medical staff, the player can start cardiovascular exercise, such as riding a stationary bike and using a treadmill, and work on more dynamic stretching and balancing. The workload is increased gradually and halted entirely if concussion-related symptoms recur. Players can attend team meetings and study film.

Continued aerobic exercise, introduction of strength training. Building gradually on the work of step 2, the player can start weight training.

Football-specific work. The player adds non-contact football drills, such as throwing, catching and running to his repertoire of exercise. No contact allowed with other players, tackling dummies or sleds.

Full football activity, full clearance. The player resumes practicing with the team, with no limitations. Once the team physician clears him to compete, the player is examined by the independent neurological consultant, who also reviews any relevant neurological tests.

The Colts are really about to stumble their way to 11-5 huh?

No one formidable left on the schedule, so it's conceivable. Assume Ben misses next week, then it's @ Jags, home vs Texans, @ Dolphins, home vs Titans. Any given Sunday, but all of those games are winnable even with MH.

Let's go into Pittsburgh and beat them at full strength with Big Ben.  MH is starting to really gel with our receivers.  I would think that Chud will dial up some additional plays for Fleenor and Allen with plenty action going to 10, 13, & 23 (Could there possibly be a #15 sighting as well?)

Told by a source that #Steelers Roethlisberger expected to be cleared in concussion protocol. No concussion.

Jason Cole is awful. His sources must be his pets.

But it's important to remember that a player going through concussion protocol doesn't necessarily mean he had a concussion. In this case, since Roethlisberger was held out of the end of the game, I assumed that he was concussed. I guess we'll see what happens as the week goes on.

Jason Cole is awful. His sources must be his pets.

But it's important to remember that a player going through concussion protocol doesn't necessarily mean he had a concussion. In this case, since Roethlisberger was held out of the end of the game, I assumed that he was concussed. I guess we'll see what happens as the week goes on.

He could have been held out because there was no way the Steelers could win the game anyway.. but yeah we'll see on Wednesday.

No the final score of the game was when he left. Seahawks scored an 80 yard touchdown and it was a nine point game when Ben went to the locker room.

Just looked at the play by play. His last snap was at 3 minutes, and the score was 32-30. The Seahawks scored again and made it 39-30. Landry Jones played the last series, which started with two minutes left and two timeouts. The game wasn't technically over yet when Ben left.

Just looked at the play by play. His last snap was at 3 minutes, and the score was 32-30. The Seahawks scored again and made it 39-30. Landry Jones played the last series, which started with two minutes left and two timeouts. The game wasn't technically over yet when Ben left.

It wasn't looking good but definitely wasn't over.  The announcers even said he wasn't going to come back in, I believe before Seahawks scored that TD.  I may be wrong, but they had to of been concern at the least because he has been injured several times this season.

Yeah his last snap was when the score was 32-30 but he didn't leave from the sidelines until after the Seahawks made it a two score game. I think he would have finished if the defense stopped them.

Man that hit that he took didn't look good.  I've seen players come back in a week, I've seen players forced to sit out a few weeks.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  Big Ben's a tough guy but that doesn't pass him threw the concussion protocol.  The only thing kind of in his advantage is he will have a little bit more time to recover because it's a night game.

players have recovered in less than a week but i believe probably less than 10% return in less than 7 days

Considering Big Ben played through the rest of that series and then pulled himself out, I say there is a high chance he plays on Sunday.

The fact that he wasn't pulled out by the doctors means that they didnt think it was that serious. If I had to bet on it, i'd bet on him playing.

Considering Big Ben played through the rest of that series and then pulled himself out, I say there is a high chance he plays on Sunday.

The fact that he wasn't pulled out by the doctors means that they didnt think it was that serious. If I had to bet on it, i'd bet on him playing.

Yeah he will play IMO. That will be a tough game to win.

Fully expecting him to play. It's Big Ben. It's the Steelers. Heath Miller broke ribs today and will play.

I agree that if any QB in the league can overcome about any injury, it is Ben.  This game is beyond critical because if we lose to Houston, we could miss the playoffs this year entirely as we wouldn't have the tie breaker against the Jets or Pitt if we lose next week.  Our season really comes down to the next two games which are more important than the last 3.   Plus, Houston plays only NE who could beat them, so if we both lose next week, the Houston game is essentially a playoff game.  On the other hand, if we beat Pitt, we have the tie breaker over them, a better record and so even if we lose to Houston, we could still win the division or at least fall back into the 6th seed.  

If Matt H leads us to win the next two weeks, he should get MVP votes and a Pro Bowl appearance.  (He won't of course, but at his age, he should).  Houston is playing as good as anyone right now... things are heating up.  I expect both teams to win against the other AFC South teams, so our head to head likely determines the division and playoffs something I actually predicted pre-season though I never imagined any of the actual scenarios that have played out.  We're already locked into either the 4th, 5th or 6th seed in reality (as I doubt Den, Cin or NE are going to lose out).  

He'll be ready, I'm sure. It wasn't even confirmed that he suffered a concussion. 

It's not so clear cut yet. 

"Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will continue to proceed through the NFL’s concussion protocol and will be evaluated as the week progresses, but the team has not yet announced that he has been diagnosed with a concussion."

"If Roethlisberger is not diagnosed with a concussion, his return to play will be a quicker process. If a player passes his initial exam and is not diagnosed with a concussion, follow-up exams are conducted at the discretion of the team’s medical staff"

I posted the protocol in post #7 above, and it and more is in the Big Ben's article here-

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/30/Without-saying-he-s-hurt-Steelers-quarterback-Ben-Roethlisberger-will-proceed-with-NFL-concussion-protocol/stories/201511300202

On 11/30/2015, 10:00:18, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he will play IMO. That will be a tough game to win.

The NFL and NFLPA are both investigating why a medical timeout was not called by the ATC spotter {again!}, or anybody from the Steelers medical and trainers team.

From the book "Big tough players can't declare themselves good and play" anymore, Ben says he feels great now and ready to play. He mentions “I’ll play through any injury but brain”, but doesn't even know when brain injury is suffered or healed; just says he feels good to go, and didn't have a concussion.

Mike Tomlin says 'Slow your roll, big fella...  you had a concussion and you must pass through all of the steps of the NFL concussion protocol'.  Steelers will wait until all of the medical team has cleared Big Ben before deciding he's ready.  So we have to prepare for both Ben and Landry.  But this is not a ploy to hide the starter until the last moment, this is a will Ben really be recovered in time to play by Sunday deal.

SQPdkfuEAKgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=