Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shipley

twfish

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Shipley when he was previously on the roster. But i agree it will be interesting to see what happens between him and holmes when holmes is healthy enought to return. my guess is they give Holmes the knod to start and if he does awful well then Shipley will be right back in the lineup.

I liked Shipley when he was previously on the roster. But i agree it will be interesting to see what happens between him and holmes when holmes is healthy enought to return. my guess is they give Holmes the knod to start and if he does awful well then Shipley will be right back in the lineup.

And that's a problem. Why change what's working?

What if Holmes does stink up the joint and he misses a block that leads to one of our RB's getting blown up and then injured?

Or worse..... What is Andrew gets injured?

Why change what's been working for what's now been 3 games straight?

And that's a problem. Why change what's working?

What if Holmes does stink up the joint and he misses a block that leads to one of our RB's getting blown up and then injured?

Or worse..... What is Andrew gets injured?

Why change what's been working for what's now been 3 games straight?

I agree with you 100% "dont fix what's not broken". But at the same token they have a pick invested in Holmes and see him as the future he will be given the oppourtunity to prove his worth. its his position to either win or lose.

I agree with you 100% "dont fix what's not broken". But at the same token they have a pick invested in Holmes and see him as the future he will be given the oppourtunity to prove his worth. its his position to either win or lose.

He's a 4th round pick, it's not that serious. We don't owe him anything

Let him sit this year. He can prove it in preseason next year. Pulling Shipley ruins the chemistry the line has built. There's more to it than just pulling Shipley. You're changing a lot when you change C's

Let him sit this year. He can prove it in preseason next year. Pulling Shipley ruins the chemistry the line has built. There's more to it than just pulling Shipley. You're changing a lot when you change C's

Completely agree with you, personally i like Shipley and prefer him in the lineup. He's been doing a darn good job.

Shipley has been back with the team all of 23 days(He was signed 8/31). Holmes has been practicing with the team since TC, Shipley is back at his natural position, He is obviously very familiar with whats expected of him playing that position,

Am I the only one who sees him as our long term center? I like the guy alot and he seems to be doing a very good job especially given the circumstance of changing position and team from last year and this being the fourth week on the team

Keep Shipley at C, Move Holmes (if healthy) to RG. 

Castonzo, Mewhort, Shipley, Holmes, Cherilus.

Can't be mad at that line.

Shipley has been back with the team all of 23 days(He was signed 8/31). Holmes has been practicing with the team since TC, Shipley is back at his natural position, He is obviously very familiar with whats expected of him playing that position,

23 days yet looks like he's been the one here since TC and Holmes is the 23 day guy

........ Why would you bench Thornton?

Once again, Holmes has shown nothing to warrant starting him. Sit his behind on the bench and leave our current offensive line alone.

It's not broke, so don't fix it

Why do that?  Thornton has been playing good at RG and played a great game against Jax.  And Shipley is still missing some line calls and leaving defenders unaccounted.

I can see an argument for leaving Shipley in, he's been above average to good and I think he will get better at the line calls.  But it makes no sense to change the guards when they've been playing well.

Holmes would be the best guard on the team. Should make him play there.

Its amazing how posters got laughed at for wanting to start Shipley 2 yrs ago. I still believe McGlynn could be a good center for a team. Dont understand why they make him play guard when he says his natural position is center and he plays it well when given the opportunity.

Definitely will be so e healthy competition there. Holmes looks a lot better physically this year but we haven't seen him on the field. This is kind of a good dilemma to have. AQ has been playing well though.

........ Why would you bench Thornton?

Once again, Holmes has shown nothing to warrant starting him. Sit his behind on the bench and leave our current offensive line alone.

It's not broke, so don't fix it

Not quite sure how you can say it's not broke.  The line has been playing better but Shipley has been the weak link along the line.  If Holmes can provide improvement there than I say, switch he and AQ.  AQ is just a stop gap player.

Holmes would be the best guard on the team. Should make him play there.

Its amazing how posters got laughed at for wanting to start Shipley 2 yrs ago. I still believe McGlynn could be a good center for a team. Dont understand why they make him play guard when he says his natural position is center and he plays it well when given the opportunity.

So many things wrong with this post.  I don't remember anyone laughing 2 years ago at starting Shipley, I remember most thinking he should start over Satele.  McGlynn was not a good center and did not play the center position well when he did and McGlynn is no longer on the team, he is currently letting defenders through for the Chiefs now.

Lastly, Holmes played one year as guard and two years at center at USC, Thornton and Mewhort have both been playing good to great at guard... to say Holmes would be the best guard on the team is just making stuff up.

This is my first post and I am a total newbie, but I did notice these ranking on Pro Football Focus grading all NFL Centers for Week 3.

rank player team snaps score

1  A.Q. Shipley IND 77 3.1

2  Russell Bodine CIN 62 2.8

3  Daniel Kilgore SF 64 2.7

4  J.D. Walton NYG 72 2.5

5  Eric Wood BUF 70 2.3

6  Kory Lichtensteiger WAS 80 1.7

7  Rodney Hudson KC 72 1.5

8  Tim Lelito NO 30 1.3

9  Stefen Wisniewski OAK 60 1.2

9  Luke Bowanko JAX 60 1.2

11  Joe Hawley ATL 52 1

12  Dominic Raiola DET 75 0.6

13  Maurkice Pouncey PIT 65 0.3

14  Alex Mack CLV 61 0.2

15  Jeremy Zuttah BLT 70 0

16  Brian Schwenke TEN 71 -0.1

17  Jonathan Goodwin NO 42 -0.3

18  Scott Wells SL 76 -0.4

19  John Sullivan MIN 57 -0.9

19  Ryan Kalil CAR 62 -0.9

21  Corey Linsley GB 54 -1

22  Jason Kelce PHI 28 -1.3

23  Max Unger SEA 80 -1.8

24  Dan Connolly NE 77 -1.9

25  Manuel Ramirez DEN 75 -3

26  Samson Satele MIA 71 -3.1

27  Chris Myers HST 66 -3.2

28  Lyle Sendlein ARZ 69 -3.6

29  Travis Frederick DAL 56 -4.4

29  Evan Dietrich-Smith TB 60 -4.4

31  Rich Ohrnberger SD 69 -4.6

32  David Molk PHI 46 -4.8

This is my first post and I am a total newbie, but I did notice these ranking on Pro Football Focus grading all NFL Centers for Week 3.

5  Eric Wood BUF 70 2.3

8  Tim Lelito NO 30 1.3

11  Joe Hawley ATL 52 1

14  Alex Mack CLV 61 0.2

Yeah, and through 3 weeks Shipley is their number 2 overall rated center with a +5.2 (2.6 PB, 1.3 RB).

Also, nice to see Samson has returned to normal. He was +3.1 first game, +0.1 second game, and now...

5  Eric Wood BUF 70 2.3

8  Tim Lelito NO 30 1.3

11  Joe Hawley ATL 52 1

14  Alex Mack CLV 61 0.2

Welcome to the board.  And thanks for posting.  I like seeing the PFF grades even though, I personally, don't think they are a good gauge for olineman.

If the coaches stick to what they said many times (starters don't lose their spot due to injury), when holmes is healthy, he will start..

And i think that's the right move in this case.. i really want to see him play for real, he looked good on that first drive in preseason..

really ask  Alex Smith that...  I for one am thankful that we have Shipley back and that the Oline is improving.... I hope they don't rush Holmes back until he is a definitely 100%,,, and then the best man wins

Here are the PFF overall cumulative Center Rankings for all (3) games this regular season. The number one ranked Center (Brian De La Puenta) only has two games played so far this year and plays tonight on Monday Night Football. If he does not have a very stellar game, Shipley will be the number one rated Center in the NFL after (3) games - after coming in with one week to prepare.

Yes, I am an old Penn State fan and have followed him, but I am not doing the grading. PFF is a very respected grading service. If they bench Shipley, the Coaches must really think they have a superstar in Holmes, and maybe they are correct. That is why they get the big bucks. Either way, it looks like the Colts have seriously upgraded their line. I know (3) games does not make a season, but Shipley had positive scores for every game he started for the Colts two years ago and they won (4) out of his (5) starts and they avenged the only loss he started with a victory against Watt and Company a couple weeks later. Then, the Coaches took Shipley out for the playoffs and started Satele.????

Shipley was playing out of position in Baltimore. He is a much better Center than a Guard, but after he lost the preseason position battle to Gradkowski last year, he was never given another opportunity to play Center.

Here are the position rankings from PFF for the first (3) regular season games this year:

rank player team snaps Score

1 Brian De La Puente CHI 106 5.4

2 A.Q. Shipley IND 228 5.2

3 Nick Mangold NYJ 143 4.5

4 Jason Kelce PHI 184 4.4

5 Kory Lichtensteiger WAS 233 3.9

6 Daniel Kilgore SF 194 3.8

7 Jeremy Zuttah BLT 228 3.3

8 Max Unger SEA 192 2.9

9 Alex Mack BUF 187 2.5

11 Maurkice Pouncey PIT 197 2.4

12 Luke Bowanko JAX 74 1.1

13 Joe Hawley ATL 196 0.8

14 Jonathan Goodwin NO 190 0.6

14 John Sullivan MIN 187 0.6

16 Stefen Wisniewski OAK 179 0.5

17 Ryan Kalil CAR 198 0.3

18 Samson Satele MIA 228 0.1

19 Corey Linsley GB 188 -0.4

20 Dominic Raiola DET 216 -0.6

21 Rodney Hudson KC 216 -0.7

22 J.D. Walton NYG 207 -1.3

23 Brian Schwenke TEN 203 -1.5

24 Lyle Sendlein ARZ 212 -2.2

25 Dan Connolly NE 218 -2.6

26 Manuel Ramirez DEN 204 -2.8

27 Chris Myers HST 201 -3.9

28 Rich Ohrnberger SD 197 -4

29 Travis Frederick DAL 210 -4.2

30 Russell Bodine CIN 201 -4.4

31 Scott Wells SL 209 -5.6

32 Evan Dietrich-Smith TB 174 -6.7

33 Jacques McClendon JAX 114 -8.6

really ask Alex Smith that... I for one am thankful that we have Shipley back and that the Oline is improving.... I hope they don't rush Holmes back until he is a definitely 100%,,, and then the best man wins

Alex smith has nothing to do with my comment, since we're talking about the colts here.. and our coaches (pagano, to be precise) has said several times that his starters don't lose their starting spot due to injury..

So based on that statement, one would think the starting center spot is waiting for holmes to get healthy, no??

I have nothing against shipley, he played better than i expected, but i would just like to see if holmes can do even better...

So many things wrong with this post. I don't remember anyone laughing 2 years ago at starting Shipley, I remember most thinking he should start over Satele. McGlynn was not a good center and did not play the center position well when he did and McGlynn is no longer on the team, he is currently letting defenders through for the Chiefs now.

Lastly, Holmes played one year as guard and two years at center at USC, Thornton and Mewhort have both been playing good to great at guard... to say Holmes would be the best guard on the team is just making stuff up.

He was a guard in hs and played guard last yr. Guard was his position and he can nost definitely play it better than the 2 starters. McGlynn was center vs SF last yr and played great.

Holmes is the greatest C to never snap a ball in the NFL. I doubt this guy could stay healthy an entire game.

I have been told how great he is and ready to dominated by Grig's and Pagano I just want to see. We go always go back to Shipley the second drive with out losing much in the way of continuity.

Our Line is not getting better with a swinging door at C.