Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FOX Sports 2014 preview: Colts loaded with weapons to take the next step

Douzer

I haven't heard of anyone else we had a couple of black eyes Brazil and Mathis. Unless they are counting Purifoy's arrest before he became a Colt but that doesn't seem right didn't we sign a couple of other problem children? Maybe that is what they are referring to.

Did Moncrief get a ticket for that 40 time?

I love the fact that we have all these weapons I really hope our OC uses them to their fullest potential I can't take another year of running into a brick wall.

There sure are a lot of "if" scenarios in that article (which are true) but heck I could write that. 

"If" Wayne can come back to his old form, 

"If" Nicks can stay healthy, 

"If" Toler can stay healthy, 

"If" the interior O-line holds up,

"If" T-Rich lives up to his draft position,

"If" Luck makes the next step towards elite status,

"If" the Gatorade is replaced by whatever it was during the second half of the KC playoff game,

etc,

etc,

etc.  

There sure are a lot of "if" scenarios in that article (which are true) but heck I could write that. 

"If" the Gatorade is replaced by whatever it was during the second half of the KC playoff game,

etc,

etc,

etc.  

I've said the same thing, that's how you can evaluate a team's chances.  The less number of 'if' scenarios, the better chances to win.

I think if you ranked our "if"'s, the interior O-Line and DB health is a hair before "if someone besides Mathis can provide a pass rush".  We didn't have Wayne or Nicks much last year, we have other RBs besides T-Rich, and as long as Luck doesn't regress, I don't see us being any worse.

The future's so bright we gotta wear shades.

I've said the same thing, that's how you can evaluate a team's chances.  The less number of 'if' scenarios, the better chances to win.

I think if you ranked our "if"'s, the interior O-Line and DB health is a hair before "if someone besides Mathis can provide a pass rush".  We didn't have Wayne or Nicks much last year, we have other RBs besides T-Rich, and as long as Luck doesn't regress, I don't see us being any worse.

The future's so bright we gotta wear shades.

The biggest if for our Team is stopping the run. 

When/IF we do, Press coverage and scheming for QB pressure is Maximized.

We cleaned house & upgraded on the D-line and at ILB and will have MUCH higher Quality depth thank goodness.

IMO we are flipping the switch and will be VG against the run.

Of course being able to run up the middle is 1A in importance.

Our O-Line coaches have not been able to put guys on the field who can execute their blocking schemes for 2 seasons.

Grigson IMO has provided good prospects for developement so I see our O-Line battle tested and Clearly looking GOOD by mid season 2015. lol

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, July 17, 2014 - political
Hidden by Nadine, July 17, 2014 - political

"Everything Fox News says is a lie. Even true things, once said on Fox News, become lies." Lois Griffin.

I like Fox News.  No more slanted than CNN, MSNBC (probably the most slanted), or network news...just slanted to a side that is unpalatable to some.

I like Fox News.  No more slanted than CNN, MSNBC (probably the most slanted), or network news...just slanted to a side that is unpalatable to some.

Yeah. It seems like one needs to sift through the slant to figure it out oneself as to what the facts are WITHOUT the opinions.

I never watch MSNBC knowing their level of slant. A few days of Fox News makes me feeling negative, that probably applies to most networks, IMO, who are interested in only reporting sensationalist stuff. Actually, Fox News reports more NEWS but it is lost in the slant, IMO. I end up watching CNN a bit more than the others in the end.

Where have the days of just reporting things that happened gone? Its crazy that I find the local news stations doing a better job of PURE REPORTING than the major networks, to be honest.

fox news is not news, it's opinion . . . period.  MSNBC is mostly opinion, but does share some news.  CNN is the closest thing to news.  I agree, local news is about the only news left.  I like to read the newspaper.

I find that Jon Stewart and The Onion are the best sources for news.

Now, back to the Colts...

One summary for 2013 would go something like this; Colts offense had about 1 to 2 seconds to execute plays, opposing offenses had about 4 to 5 seconds to execute plays.

Improvements along both lines should improve 2014.

etc,

etc,

etc.  

For a two letter word "if" is the smallest word with the biggest meaning. 

fox news is not news, it's opinion . . . period.  MSNBC is mostly opinion, but does share some news.  CNN is the closest thing to news.  I agree, local news is about the only news left.  I like to read the newspaper.

Most of Fox News is opinion.   But the two shows hosted by Shepard Smith are both news shows and very good.

And the first 20 minutes of Brett Baier's show is also all news and also very good.

But most everything else is opinion.    So, depending on your political views it's either the gospel or it's made-up nonsense.

You decide!      :thmup:

There is no impartial media anymore.  I tend to think Fox is better than MSNBC as far as presenting both sides, though the bias is very palpable on both stations.  Both Fox and MSNBC do present actual news, but with a slant.  Always a slant... 

fox news is not news, it's opinion . . . period. MSNBC is mostly opinion, but does share some news. CNN is the closest thing to news. I agree, local news is about the only news left. I like to read the newspaper.

There all about a complete joke. I cant bare too listen too CNN anymore. Fox news is fastly becoming that way for me. Never tried too sit down for msnbc though. Heck anymore Facebook and twitter are almost more reliable hahahaha. Its all about politics

There all about a complete joke. I cant bare too listen too CNN anymore. Fox news is fastly becoming that way for me. Never tried too sit down for msnbc though. Heck anymore Facebook and twitter are almost more reliable hahahaha. Its all about politics

MSNBC does have an interesting show late on the weekends called Lock Up though

My biggest fear is our QB being good helping us win games might AGAIN mask some of the weaknesses in our roster, it is like deja vu. It also masks the fact that we are still a team being built with the finished product not as mature as the coaches want it to be.

Outside the QB position, the WR position (top to bottom) is the only position I can say the Colts are in the top 5 of the league. Everywhere else (outside Robert Mathis), too many hits and misses. I cannot say the TE position is a position of strength until I see both Fleener and Allen complete a year together.

This technically should mark the year that most of the pieces that Grigson needs are in place (probably outside free safety, IMO). Can't wait for the season to start!!! I am expecting a top 2 AFC seeding from the Colts, if they go 3-1 in the 4 game stretch without Mathis at least.

My biggest fear is our QB being good helping us win games might AGAIN mask some of the weaknesses in our roster, it is like deja vu. It also masks the fact that we are still a team being built with the finished product not as mature as the coaches want it to be.

Outside the QB position, the WR position (top to bottom) is the only position I can say the Colts are in the top 5 of the league. Everywhere else (outside Robert Mathis), too many hits and misses. I cannot say the TE position is a position of strength until I see both Fleener and Allen complete a year together.

This technically should mark the year that most of the pieces that Grigson needs are in place (probably outside free safety, IMO). Can't wait for the season to start!!! I am expecting a top 2 AFC seeding from the Colts, if they go 3-1 in the 4 game stretch without Mathis at least.

I do think Luck masks some weaknesses on the roster but I don't think it's something that slips by the coaches and FO.  During the season I don't think there is a lot of self evaluation, meaning I don't think the coaches evaluate the roster deeply... I think they watch the game and grade performances but they don't relate that to the big picture... like why is this player underperforming and length of time the player has been underperforming that is why fans ask things like why is player X still starting when player Y is clearly better (there is also a lot more that goes into then what we see on Sunday which I know you know).

But then during the offseason is when the coaches review their players and give their reports to the FO.  And no amount of Luck's game saving plays will help the player when the position coach is watching every play of his during the year and grading that player's overall performance.

I wouldn't say TE is top 5 but it is a position of strength.  

But don't fret too much, the team around Luck is improving quickly especially on offense.  

Defense is still pretty meh though.  

I'm hoping the question marks we have on offense will work out so that Grigs can spend at least 3 of his first 4 picks on defense in the next draft.  

Lots of potential on this team especially on offense and I'm excited to see how much of it comes together.  

The defense still really worries me. I think our offense has the chance to be elite, but the defense on the other hand-- especially those first few games without Mathis-- just doesn't look very promising. It's Vontae Davis and everyone else. Admittedly, I don't ever remember watching Jackson play at MLB because I watched probably only a few Browns games in the last few years and wasn't looking for him. However, I don't see him improving our defense by a wide margin, certainly not enough to make that unit good, let alone great.

Maybe our offense is so good that it masks our average D, but we saw what can happen with that type of team if the O has an off night (Broncos vs. Seahawks).

All that said, I am still really excited about this team's potential. Definitely looks on paper like one of our best in quite a few years.