Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What gives with Zbis?

lollygagger8

Please restore my faith in this guy that I had when I heard we got him. Am I not seeing something that I should be seeing?

I really watched (for) him in the Skins game, because I haven't really heard a peep from him all preseason. I found that he mostly enters the play after someone else is already there, or he comes running up after a play is over.

I really want to like the guy, but what gives with Zbis?

I think he'll grow into the role. FOr one it's still pre-season, so this is the time for learning and growing-- he's still probably adjusting to the system. Because honestly, I don't think Pagano would put him out there if HE didn't see something in TOm that he likes.

Maybe he's taking it easy since it is pre-season, and doesn't want to risk an injury. Anyone ever think of that? I'd hate to lose a starting player in a meaningless game.

^I really hope this is the case^

But sadly I feel like a ding dong for getting as excited as I did when we aquired him.

He's as good as Bullit and much more reliable so far. Like they say the best ability is availability.

Exactly. I'd rather slack off in the preseason and be healthy for regular season. No reason to go all out in 4 games that don't count, then risk an injury and be out.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Tom Z. plays the "Safety" position. It is generally a good thing when our other guys get to the ball carrier before the Safety. I think we have gotten so used to Bethea making most of our tackles that it seems normal :) Unfortunately, that is not how things are supposed to work.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Tom Z. plays the "Safety" position. It is generally a good thing when our other guys get to the ball carrier before the Safety. I think we have gotten so used to Bethea making most of our tackles that it seems normal :) Unfortunately, that is not how things are supposed to work.

and someone finally pointed that out. i was waiting to see who would actually mention this haha. and your 100% correct. it would be bad if our safeties had to make the tackles every play, would mean our other 9 guys on defense are horrible tacklers lol

and someone finally pointed that out. i was waiting to see who would actually mention this haha. and your 100% correct. it would be bad if our safeties had to make the tackles every play, would mean our other 9 guys on defense are horrible tacklers lol

You're very correct. I think everyone expects Bethea and Zibi to be like Polamalu. Sorry to say it isn't gonna happen.

I'm with you guys. I can't say I have seen or heard anything outstanding from him, but I do think we are making more tackles up front near the line. I'm not the best at stats or anything like that. I just say what my opinion is. Have we seen many 20-30 runs up the middle against this D? I mean, that was common before. Two major points I notice about our team that I just LOVE. #1) 2nd or 3rd and short are no longer exclusive passing downs for us, and #2) 3rd and 10 are no longer running downs for our opponents. LOL I think it was in the Pittsburgh game maybe, someone broke a significant run, and it looked like we struggled to tackle the runner. Other than that though, it seems we have done a much better run and stuffing the run and "HITTING" the ball carrier, not stopping him and asking him if he'd fall down for us. I like what I see, do I think it is as good as it could be, no, not yet, but I like the direction we are going.

- Eric

I think he'll grow into the role. FOr one it's still pre-season, so this is the time for learning and growing-- he's still probably adjusting to the system. Because honestly, I don't think Pagano would put him out there if HE didn't see something in TOm that he likes.

Growing in the system? It's the only system he knows. He played in Baltimore under this same system for more than one year

ConBro has the answer here..

he played for our new coach 4 years......and he knows exactly what we're getting..

We have worries but 'Z' is probably not one of them

What did you guys expect from Zibikowski? He is a solid back up that is being thrust into the starting position because are safety spot is lacking in talent. He has not been bad, but if you expect him be a dominate force out there you are just expecting to much from him.

To me he is probably just a stop gap until we can address that position next offseason via free agency or the draft.

seems the the members on this board have conditioned to seeing our safety making a ton of plays in the run game...sure we wish he was like a bob sanders but all that clean up duty was designed by the def and bob was just cut loose on a lot of plays. We are playing a new scheme and it appears as if both safeties have been fairly quiet. AB did have a pick last week but for the most part they have been doing there job. The front 7 has been making more of the tackles as they should in this system.

It seems Bethea is playing more like a SS than Zbitkowski. On running plays that have gashed the Colts Zibowski has been missing in action. Against the Steelers Bethea whiffed but Zbitkowski was taken out of the play by a block and did not recover. It does not seem like he will be a playmaker. He could be saving his best for the regular season. Maybe Zbitkowski, Mathis, and Freeney will all turn it on during the regular season.

Players where brought in from a former system to help transition into a new system it works like this for every system that basically installed in the NFL. TZ isn't Ed Reed and he isn't Laundry either. Can he play and make plays until we can upgrade the position via draft and FA? Yes, What are peoples expectations really for this season?

Exactly. I'd rather slack off in the preseason and be healthy for regular season. No reason to go all out in 4 games that don't count, then risk an injury and be out.

If Saturday's game was any indication, this must be what the whole team was thinking.