Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Allen and Fleener

YOUR GM

I have to say, I was as much impressed by those two as I was Luck in last night's game. Dwayne Allen is a MAULER & showed the ability to be a dual threat at receiver as well. Fleener played much better this game. Better hands and solid blocking.

I know it's still early but I think we've seen enough from both of them to say that this 2-TE offense has the potential to be a juggernaut, and SOON. It won't work without the ability to be solid blockers in the run game, and that's what we were missing from our TE's from the last regime.

At first, I was skeptical of the Arians hiring and going back-to-back TE in this past draft. I have to say, however, that I think they have proven my doubts to be completely wrong so far, and I'm glad. Maybe Arians struggles as a coordinator in Pitt all these years really did come down to lack of personel on the o-line.

Kudos to our O-line as well, for a solid effort

Go Blue! :blueshoe:

Fleener did look better yesterday than the 1st preseason game. Maybe because he was just targeted more, but I guess we'll see.

I'm one of those that felt we should have drafted an offensive/defensive lineman in the 2nd rather than Fleener. I'd love to be proven wrong at the year's end.

Fleener did look better yesterday than the 1st preseason game. Maybe because he was just targeted more, but I guess we'll see.

I'm one of those that felt we should have drafted an offensive/defensive lineman in the 2nd rather than Fleener. I'd love to be proven wrong at the year's end.

I thought the same in April, but I'm SHOCKED by how solid this team looks already. I'm by no means ready to crown them as champs of anything yet, but they appear to be ready to be competitive already. I thought that was at least a year off still.

If for that reason only... I give Irsay, Grigson and Pagano huge props for what they've accomplished so far, and give them the benefit of the doubt for grabbing Fleener over several choices I thought the team needed more.

Could be why they get the big bucks, and I spew my drivel here...?

I agree that this could be a HUGE Threat to defenses. but Fleener's run blocking has to get better you guys. I understand he not the body frame of allen, but he still has to put his body or hands on someone. He did have some good blocks last night, but he also had plays where he got BLOWN up. He has to learn how to attack. Cause one play he got blown up cause he sat still waiting for the defender to get to him therefore, the defender had more momentum and won that contest. But I'm sure this is something Arians will emphasize on in Practice. After last night's game, there's a lot we need to work on

-_- when Collinsworth said Fleeners was driven back on a early run play, he even says it when theyre showing the replay, Fleeners is already in the backfield and blocks his man.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was like, what are you talking about Collinsworth? lol

Lots of potential in these two guys...they'll only get better with experience. I like the direction we're going and was impressed with the game last night. We out-played Pittsburgh and the game came down to mistakes we made that cost us. Those mistakes will hopefully dwindle as the season progresses.

Allen is a frickin' bully though I love it....Have you all noticed how mean the team is a whole??? Dressed in all white like some angels but they're chippy, mean, like the whole team has a chip on their shoulder...never seen a Colts team like this...I feel like we're an AFC North Team

Allen is a frickin' bully though I love it....Have you all noticed how mean the team is a whole??? Dressed in all white like some angels but they're chippy, mean, like the whole team has a chip on their shoulder...never seen a Colts team like this...I feel like we're an AFC North Team

I have always been a colts fan but I loved the attitude and the way the steelers and ravens play the game especially on D. I'm real excited for this season but i can't wait to see what this team can be with a good offseason or two. Allen certainly plays with a fire and is fun to watch, I thought Fleener blocked better so thats a good sign.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was like, what are you talking about Collinsworth? lol

Take a look at this thread.... Fleener **was** blown-up. He may have started in the backfield, but he handled **that** play badly. It's something he never did at Stanford, try to block as the fullback in the backfield. Collinsworth wasn't wrong on his description of that play.

But Coby's blocking from the line-of-scrimmage, as the tight end, was respectable. There he was OK.

Fleener's got plenty of work ahead of him to improve to where everyone wants him to be.

We haven't seen the real sets the Colts are doing yet...I dont think Fleener will be a hard core blocking TE like he has been in the preseason, I really believe he'll be split out more and Jones will play the FB style TE moreso. The sets the Colts have shown are the tip of the iceberg...

We haven't seen the real sets the Colts are doing yet...I dont think Fleener will be a hard core blocking TE like he has been in the preseason, I really believe he'll be split out more and Jones will play the FB style TE moreso. The sets the Colts have shown are the tip of the iceberg...

Certainly hope you're right. I like what Dom Jones has shown so far too

Take a look at this thread.... Fleener **was** blown-up. He may have started in the backfield, but he handled **that** play badly. It's something he never did at Stanford, try to block as the fullback in the backfield. Collinsworth wasn't wrong on his description of that play.

But Coby's blocking from the line-of-scrimmage, as the tight end, was respectable. There he was OK.

Fleener's got plenty of work ahead of him to improve to where everyone wants him to be.

He blocked a guy that entire play, what did you want him to do?

I have to say, I was as much impressed by those two as I was Luck in last night's game. Dwayne Allen is a MAULER & showed the ability to be a dual threat at receiver as well. Fleener played much better this game. Better hands and solid blocking.

I know it's still early but I think we've seen enough from both of them to say that this 2-TE offense has the potential to be a juggernaut, and SOON. It won't work without the ability to be solid blockers in the run game, and that's what we were missing from our TE's from the last regime.

At first, I was skeptical of the Arians hiring and going back-to-back TE in this past draft. I have to say, however, that I think they have proven my doubts to be completely wrong so far, and I'm glad. Maybe Arians struggles as a coordinator in Pitt all these years really did come down to lack of personel on the o-line.

Kudos to our O-line as well, for a solid effort

Go Blue! :blueshoe:

I believe I saw the three-TE lineup near the goal line as well....

Fleener is not a great blocker....but he's not going to be blocking often between the hashmarks...

Clearly but we're going to get him down the field..and Allen IS a good blocker...

I love the use of the TE in the backfield.....

..and I'd even hand Allen the ball once in awhile as a 'change-up'

We could have scored 40 points had the first string stayed on the field

-_- when Collinsworth said Fleeners was driven back on a early run play, he even says it when theyre showing the replay, Fleeners is already in the backfield and blocks his man.

He's referring to Fleener needing to be more of a fullback when blocking in which case Collinsworth's point is valid. Fleener does get pushed back in the back field, not blocking his man at the LOS and driving his feet to push the defender further away from the play.

He's referring to Fleener needing to be more of a fullback when blocking in which case Collinsworth's point is valid. Fleener does get pushed back in the back field, not blocking his man at the LOS and driving his feet to push the defender further away from the play.

I agree he needs work when playing H back but I didn't see it on that play. I think CC was waiting to mention something about Fleener as a blocker but spoke too soon.

I agree he needs work when playing H back but I didn't see it on that play. I think CC was waiting to mention something about Fleener as a blocker but spoke too soon.

If you watch the play again, look for Fleener to get driven back and over behind the right guard. He didn't "block" his man according to his assignment, he just happened to get the defender far enough from the draw that you could consider it somewhat of a block. If that wasn't a draw play it would have been a big problem. That is the exact opposite of what you want in that play. He needs to get low and drive the defender the other way (not in the Colts backfeild!). I think CC's comment was on point.

Fleener is small for a TE and will not become a mauler. He needs to get better at position blocking. It was one run where he didn't drive the guy back but he took him out of the play by cutting him off for 1 second. He would be very effective.

Small? 'scuse me? 6'-6" is small for an NBA Forward ... mebbe. At 252 lbs, he'll probably gain a couple ( to a dozen) pounds over his career.

If you watch the play again, look for Fleener to get driven back and over behind the right guard. He didn't "block" his man according to his assignment, he just happened to get the defender far enough from the draw that you could consider it somewhat of a block. If that wasn't a draw play it would have been a big problem. That is the exact opposite of what you want in that play. He needs to get low and drive the defender the other way (not in the Colts backfeild!). I think CC's comment was on point.

I thought Fleener was already behind him, lined up as a FB. He didn't get low though.

I was really impressed with Allen, dude is a beast and has the attitude to boot. Fleener is starting to settle in and will only get better. I cant believe these guys are rookies btw theyre playing. I thought we were going to do good this year but they may exceed those expectations as well :)

I don't expect massive yardage from either of our new tight ends, but they will certainly be a useful tool.

Well, that depends on what you consider 'massive,' I'm not expecting Gronk or Graham type numbers from either, but I could see Fleener ending up with 700-800 yards, 8-10 TD's. Allen won't have as many receiving yards but he might end up being one of our most valuable players on offense because of his versatility. He could be our 'knight' on the chess board, so to speak. 500 total yards receiving isn't out of the realm of possibility for him either. If Collie misses significant time, I expect one or both TE's numbers to spike as a result.

You gotta love how Grigson appears to have killed this draft, at least on offense. Six players; Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Ballard, and Brazill, all look like they're gonna play pretty significant roles for this team, even as rookies. One can only hope next draft he does the same thing on the defensive side.

Both players are evolving young talents but I don't see either ever being pro-bowl talents. They will be heavy cogs to the offense for the next five years though. And for the record Fleener is small. He has no upper body build at all.

Too soon to say eitherway, at this point. Dallas Clark didn't look pro-bowl caliber starting out either

I thought the same in April, but I'm SHOCKED by how solid this team looks already. I'm by no means ready to crown them as champs of anything yet, but they appear to be ready to be competitive already. I thought that was at least a year off still.

If for that reason only... I give Irsay, Grigson and Pagano huge props for what they've accomplished so far, and give them the benefit of the doubt for grabbing Fleener over several choices I thought the team needed more.

Could be why they get the big bucks, and I spew my drivel here...?

Could not agree with ,your post more. I have always liked Jim, he is a free spirit and loves Colts fans. I just never took him too seriously as an owner. His choice of Grigson as our new GM must have a lot of owners asking themselves why they didn't take him before Jim had the opportunity. Grigson immediately wanted Pagano as his head coach and offered him the job on the phone, according to Collinsworth. Pagano immediately hires Arians who Pitt let go. These are excellent choices by men who know what they are doing. For the Colts to give Pitt all they wanted in the 2d game of the pre-season proves it.

This team has so many new players, Kravitz needs a roster to keep up with which player is on the field. LOL

Allen is the man he gonna be the te to worry about while Fleener gets the easier match ups

I thought that Fleener was often manhandled, and that if Collinsworth did anything wrong it was to be too kind. I've been much more impressed with Allen in every aspect of the game.

I thought that Fleener was often manhandled, and that if Collinsworth did anything wrong it was to be too kind. I've been much more impressed with Allen in every aspect of the game.

You guys gotta understand that Fleener wasn't drafted to be a mauler. We knew going into the draft that his blocking wasn't that great. No, he won't be pancaking defensive ends or creating massive lanes like Lorenzo Neal... He's a receiver, first and foremost, only meant to provide serviceable blocking to keep the D honest. And I know it's not saying much but he's already a better blocker than Clark or Tamme ever showed themselves to be. Not by much, but still....

You guys gotta understand that Fleener wasn't drafted to be a mauler. We knew going into the draft that his blocking wasn't that great. No, he won't be pancaking defensive ends or creating massive lanes like Lorenzo Neal... He's a receiver, first and foremost, only meant to provide serviceable blocking to keep the D honest. And I know it's not saying much but he's already a better blocker than Clark or Tamme ever showed themselves to be. Not by much, but still....

Wayne threw better blocks yesterday.

You know... all 5-11, 185 pounds of Wayne.

That's interesting.

Geographically, the Colts belong in the AFC North (move the Ravens to the East, Dolphins to the South).

Pagano was an AFC North coordinator, as was Arians. We also tried to get Keith Butler from the Steelers as our defensive coordinator.

Safeties coach Roy Anderson comes from the Ravens. Linebackers coach Jeff FitzGerald was with the Ravens and Bengals from 2004 to 2011. Offensive line coach Harold Goodwin comes from the Steelers. Special teams coordinator Marwan Maalouf comes from the Browns and Ravens. Tight ends coach Alfredo Roberts was with the Browns in 2007-08.

Several of our front office guys are also former AFC North guys. And, of course, we brought several players from the Ravens and Steelers in free agency.

Those are two of the most physical teams in the NFL every year. It's fitting that our team is being built in a way that emulates their philosophies.

I understand your first point completely even if I disagree with the later portion. I was mostly responding because this sounded like yet another "Collinsworth is biased" post.

The problem with Fleener is that he is skinny and according to PFW's draft guide he may not be able to bulk up because of his back. He needs to be exceptional as a receiver to make his mark (using his height and leaping ability to keep the chains moving and score TDs, or busting the occasional big play like Dallas used to with regularity). I've seen one good pass play involving him so far in two games. I'm certainly not labeling him a failure, just waiting to see more. In the mean time the conversation was about blocking, and like it or not his was sub-par for a tight end. Personally I didn't like to see him drafted that high, and despite all the applause for the Colts foresight in doubling up at the tight end position, I can't help but wonder that if they had "known" that Allen would be available later whether they would have drafted him at all.

Wayne threw better blocks yesterday.

You know... all 5-11, 185 pounds of Wayne.

Sealing the outside and blocking from LOS and backfield are not at all similar. Wayne threw a nice block but you're being overly critical of Fleener right now. He'll be fine, chill out...

Sealing the outside and blocking from LOS and backfield are not at all similar. Wayne threw a nice block but you're being overly critical of Fleener right now. He'll be fine, chill out...

Sorry, but Fleener got bullied a couple times just trying to seal the outside. I'm fine with giving him all the time in the world, so no need to tell me to chill out, but it is what it is.

Lots of potential in these two guys...they'll only get better with experience. I like the direction we're going and was impressed with the game last night. We out-played Pittsburgh and the game came down to mistakes we made that cost us. Those mistakes will hopefully dwindle as the season progresses.

I think this will be how the season goes, but I like what I am seeing and the direction of the team, going more into a power ball direction. This team already looks much better than last season and I think there will be alot of close games, but because of the amount of rookies and new system there will be mistakes that will cost this team games. We will see when the games are for real, but I arleady don't think this rebuild will take as long as I originally thought, only a couple of years until they are a contender again.