Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does our GM realize that there are 31 other teams in the NFL?

BaltimoreColt1973

Am I the only one that can see that 90% of are trades or free agent signings come from the Eagles? Just because he came from there doesn't mean we have to deal with only them. Come on now.

He knows about the Ravens too. So there are only 29 other teams he has to learn about.

No biggie bubba.

Of course he does. However, he's new to being a GM. He has a much more intimate knowledge of the Eagle's roster than any other team because that's where he came from. Now that he's a GM, he'll do more research on the rosters of all other teams but as of right now, he's most familiar with the Eagles' players so that's where he's dipping into to try to bring some more talent to the colts team. I doubt we'll see as many transactions including Eagles' players after this year because he'll have had time to do far more research on the players of the other teams.

I'm cool with it! Go with what you know. Picking up free agents has a good element of risk as it is already, so if you are to take the risk you might as well do it with players you have seen playing not only in games, but also in practice and you know them intimately on a personal level.

Am I the only one that can see that 90% of are trades or free agent signings come from the Eagles? Just because he came from there doesn't mean we have to deal with only them. Come on now.

This strikes me as someone looking for something to complain about. It has been stated throughout this thread - low risk & very low cost, knowledge of players, etc. The other thing to consider is that these are moves to just get them through this year and the likelihood of them making a long term contribution to the team are limited.

As others have said, it boils down to what he knows. He knows the Eagles. Pagano knows the Ravens.

At this point, we're coming off a 2-14 season. That likely means that we are lacking in a lot of areas. He's brought in a good amount of talent, for next to nothing. Most of the talent he has brought in are likely to be stable veteran players, but not necessarily game changers (ala Ray Lewis). Just guys that can solidify our roster, and make the team more competitive.

I just hope he keeps enough picks to work with next year. Honestly, the way it seems, he might be working on getting a few less picks so they're ready to trade the 1st pick (if it does end up being a high one) and stock pile in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Maybe not, just a hunch. It seems we're already without our 5th and 7th (I think). So perhaps we trade back in the 1st and grab a 2nd and/or 3rd. Wild guess, but I wouldn't be sad to see it happen.

Personally I dont think it makes much since to trade our first round pick if its a high one, I would use that pick on a Corner or OLB/DE unless we get the 1st pick in the draft and can trade that for a kings ransom of draft picks and can still get our OLB/DE and Corner while still have multiple other picks in the second or third

Its cool...That's the team he knows....and its his first season....

He wants guys he knows well...

I'd let him do things his way and see how it goes

Personally I dont think it makes much since to trade our first round pick if its a high one, I would use that pick on a Corner or OLB/DE unless we get the 1st pick in the draft and can trade that for a kings ransom of draft picks and can still get our OLB/DE and Corner while still have multiple other picks in the second or third

David Amerson maybe in the 1st Round? Don't know any Top LB's right now. And don't know any BIG DE's who will play DE in our system instead of being converted to OLB like Hughes did

Its cool...That's the team he knows....and its his first season....

He wants guys he knows well...

I'd let him do things his way and see how it goes

I agree with Unc......the Eagles had talent last year. They had one stupid QB call them "the Dream Team!" Many analysts jumped all over this 'jaw jacking' and all of a sudden there were Super Bowl predictions. The games are played on Sunday fellas.

The Eagles still went 8-8 last year with QB injuries and a DC who was the OL coach from 1998-2010. Talk about a change....some of the Eagle failures were coaching related....specifically the aforementioned Juan Castillo as well as a very confused looking and acting Andy Reid.

Moises Fokou will run over you....back-up LB, special teams...who does not want intensity in a Pagano defense. Pagano said "If you suck, we will ship you out." Thomas in his eyes must have sucked. I applaud a coach and GM who see that someone is not a 'fit' and are not afraid to make a move.

Pagano said "If you suck, we will ship you out." Thomas in his eyes must have sucked. I applaud a coach and GM who see that someone is not a 'fit' and are not afraid to make a move.

He also Said.......... "Like I told these guys when I first got here, there’s a lot of players here that, if someone didn’t see something special in them they wouldn’t be in an NFL football facility,"- Coach Pagano

I think we only signed on former Eagle as a free agent. What's wrong with that? He knows who has talent on the Eagles. You want him to trade for some player he knows nothing about do that you can feel better? And we got a lot of players from Baltimore, Baltimore.

Any GM will always want guys he scouted. As I don't think his job was to necessarily look at the rest of the league for talent last season, the bulk of guys he personally scouted at that time were probably young draft picks, young UDFAs, or guys from other leagues. If he was trusted enough (and all reports say he was), guys he liked had a real chance of making the roster. It only makes sense that he'd take guys he was high (enough) on, especially if he can get them on the cheap.

I think he'll broaden his scope as time goes by. Just having the larger job requires he look in far more places. He's no longer just in charge of a region or personnel on his own team, and I have no doubt he'll grow into that role and look more places as time goes by.

Jeff Burris and Tyrone Poole.

That's what I was looking for.

Poole was a trade from Polian's previous stop, whom we then extended. Former first rounder. Burris was a highly rated free agent. The defense wasn't better right away, but that's not the fault of those two players (Vic Fangio, anyone?) They were still very decent players. Got a lot of money by 1998 standards, but I don't know why they'd be considered overrated.

The Colts were 6-26, and suddenly turned it around and we were 13-3. Manning was a huuuuge part of that, but Polian gets zero credit? All he did was sign overrated players to bad contracts.

It's laughable, really.

Polian needed to go. I think Irsay did the right thing. Whether he lost it or not, I can't say, but whatever was going on was hurting the franchise ... did hurt the franchise, in fact. And that's just football related. His demeanor didn't help one bit. I just don't get the need to stomp on his grave. I'm happy with where we are now, save for the Manning situation. But I get that decision as well. Let Polian go quietly into the night. The New Era Colts look to be laying a very solid foundation.