Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Again: Close to getting Luck deal Done....

NewColtsFan

Irsay sent out a tweet this morning that NFL.com picked up.... they're close to a deal and it will get done....

The story also has a short tape from NFL Network.... two former players saying Luck will have a successful career but the Colts have to get him lots more help for him to live to up to the hype.

DUH! And both players and the host realize they're saying the obvious.... this is what happens when it's the off-season and you have to fill lots and lots and lots and lots of time....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a67a82/article/jim-irsay-we-are-close-to-andrew-lucks-colts-deal

haha some of the things these "experts" say are so ridiculous. "Andrew Luck will be a good QB if the Colts can protect him and give him weapons. The Colts defense will be good if they can prevent offenses from scoring. If the offense can put up points, they will have a chance to win their games."

haha some of the things these "experts" say are so ridiculous. "Andrew Luck will be a good QB if the Colts can protect him and give him weapons. The Colts defense will be good if they can prevent offenses from scoring. If the offense can put up points, they will have a chance to win their games."

absolutely....They have less of an idea that we do because they havent focused on us yet...

...2 jamokes saying we've got get Andrew help...What was our entire draft???

The NFL Networks have so many teams to look at...they give very superficial analysis of ALL of them.

.....They still think of us as the Colts of 2011 without Manning

I wonder what the hold up is? I thought with the rookie wage scale, it would have been done weeks ago.

There's plenty of time

How many 1st rounders have signed???

..and Andrew Luck and Coby are not involved. I'm sure they're getting ready.

It agents vs/ Finacial geeks now

Hmm...it seems last time I heard this Irsay was saying it wasn't being held up due to marketing wording in the contract and that a deal was imminent....sadly that was what a week or so ago. Clearly the reporter didn't have the facts right because Irsay said so. Anyways the deal will get done and that will help other teams get their deals done because several try to base their guarantees off the first contract. First picks in the draft can break precedences and open up other things to the rest of the draft picks because of their bargaining power...it isn't all about pure money. This should be getting done soon....but I don't believe that just because Irsay said so.

It always makes me laugh when commentators are having these serious debates and they point out that Team A can only run the ball. But team B can do SO many more things than Team A. Namely that they can pass the ball. There's only two things that you can do on offense, and we all know that you are far more likely to succeed if you can do both. But the commentators always get stuck in a situation where it sounds like they are suggesting that Team B can do about six different things. Then they try to list them. They can run, they can pass, they can run, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

I enjoy the broadcasts when I can actually learn something, but there is really WAY too much noise signifying absolutely nothing.

It always makes me laugh when commentators are having these serious debates and they point out that Team A can only run the ball. But team B can do SO many more things than Team A. Namely that they can pass the ball. There's only two things that you can do on offense, and we all know that you are far more likely to succeed if you can do both. But the commentators always get stuck in a situation where it sounds like they are suggesting that Team B can do about six different things. Then they try to list them. They can run, they can pass, they can run, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

I enjoy the broadcasts when I can actually learn something, but there is really WAY too much noise signifying absolutely nothing.

I beg to differ....there may be two distinct differences like running and passing but there are tons of different passing attacks and ways to move the ball....there are vastly different running games. To act like offense is so cut and dry is to undervalue all the different types of offenses. Why do you think that PM says in Denver he wants the offense to be 3 dimensional....in your simple estimation there is only 2 dimensions to an offense. He wants the offense to also be able to play action. Which is a passing attack that is vastly different than a traditional drop back or sit in the gun and pass. A screen pass is essentially a running play but its a forward pass. Sometimes thats to a running back...others its a bubble screen to a wr...even to a te at at times...I know what you are saying and I do think commentators can sound stupid but you can't say teams that Detroits passing game is anything similar to San Francisco's. Its like New England adding Brandon Lloyd. Adding that threat over the top will vastly change the passing game. All I am saying is saying all you can do is run the ball or pass is true but that is over-simplifying things...running a zone running game vs a straight ahead man power game is different....and so is running the option style that Denver ran last year as well. Passing games that rely on short concise routes and timing with few receivers is vastly different than say like New Orleans spread style and verticle threat offense. Now..teams that can have multiple dimensions to their passing game like Green Bay and NY Giants and others have a lot more flexibility and to me are harder to stop than say Cleveland who have a less diverse offensive playbook.

That is what the commentators are trying to get at...that having an offense diverse in their options of how to move the ball by either short, middle, deep passes, screens, power, stretch running and especially the threat of play action where they are a threat to run or pass on particular downs and distances are very much more of a threat than say one that can't or is not efficient in all those phases.

I beg to differ....there may be two distinct differences like running and passing but there are tons of different passing attacks and ways to move the ball....there are vastly different running games. To act like offense is so cut and dry is to undervalue all the different types of offenses. Why do you think that PM says in Denver he wants the offense to be 3 dimensional....in your simple estimation there is only 2 dimensions to an offense. He wants the offense to also be able to play action. Which is a passing attack that is vastly different than a traditional drop back or sit in the gun and pass. A screen pass is essentially a running play but its a forward pass. Sometimes thats to a running back...others its a bubble screen to a wr...even to a te at at times...I know what you are saying and I do think commentators can sound stupid but you can't say teams that Detroits passing game is anything similar to San Francisco's. Its like New England adding Brandon Lloyd. Adding that threat over the top will vastly change the passing game. All I am saying is saying all you can do is run the ball or pass is true but that is over-simplifying things...running a zone running game vs a straight ahead man power game is different....and so is running the option style that Denver ran last year as well. Passing games that rely on short concise routes and timing with few receivers is vastly different than say like New Orleans spread style and verticle threat offense. Now..teams that can have multiple dimensions to their passing game like Green Bay and NY Giants and others have a lot more flexibility and to me are harder to stop than say Cleveland who have a less diverse offensive playbook.

That is what the commentators are trying to get at...that having an offense diverse in their options of how to move the ball by either short, middle, deep passes, screens, power, stretch running and especially the threat of play action where they are a threat to run or pass on particular downs and distances are very much more of a threat than say one that can't or is not efficient in all those phases.

What are you on about? You sound like you are personally insulted by my ignoring nuance in the game. You're arguing against a point that I wasn't remotely trying to make in the first place, and providing a "lesson" that I neither need nor welcome.

Commentators frequently do EXACTLY what I depicted. There wasn't one iota of exaggeration, and I didn't mention any commentators by name. For you to defend "them" and tell me what they "are trying to get at" only emphasizes how ridiculous the entire thing is, how poor "they" are at their jobs (analyzing, communicating, informing, entertaining), and what a waste of time it typically is to listen to them in the first place - which IS, by the way, the point that I made.

They are trying to fill time, keep us involved and excited about the game and collecting there checks its that simple, there isnt alot of Colts news to be had right now. But the next bit of Colts news I expect to hear has to do with Lucks deal being signed sealed and delivered or that Castonzo is healthy and ready to go, the rest will work itself out either after Luck is signed (meaning our other draft picks that have yet to be signed) or come the start of the season (meaning who is starting where and more cuts).

What are you on about? You sound like you are personally insulted by my ignoring nuance in the game. You're arguing against a point that I wasn't remotely trying to make in the first place, and providing a "lesson" that I neither need nor welcome.

Commentators frequently do EXACTLY what I depicted. There wasn't one iota of exaggeration, and I didn't mention any commentators by name. For you to defend "them" and tell me what they "are trying to get at" only emphasizes how ridiculous the entire thing is, how poor "they" are at their jobs (analyzing, communicating, informing, entertaining), and what a waste of time it typically is to listen to them in the first place - which IS, by the way, the point that I made.

My bad...there are some that come off that way but I find most very insightful and appreciate their expertise. Not everyone on the board is as familiar with the nuances of the game and I apologize if you thought I was being condescending. All I was trying to say was there is a lot more to it than just run or pass. I don't know you or your knowledge of the game. I was simply trying to expound on what they were trying to get at but simply because they have only 20 and 30 second sound bites make it hard for them to do. Many people on this forum have varying degrees of background with the game of football and I was just trying to give more insight. It wasn't directed necessarily at you...you made an overly simple comment that there are only two things a team can do and acted like the commentators are dumb because they talk as if there are more...I just was trying to expound on what they are meaning. I apologize.

"Irsay sent out a tweet this morning that NFL.com picked up.... they're close to a deal and it will get done...."

Until Luck is signed, sealed, & delivered for real, I don't want to hear about it period. This is what drives me nuts about Twitter. I want facts not speculation, second guesses, or hyperbolic rhetoric Mr. Irsay. Thank you.

"We've revamped Strength program,more power/explosive lifting;guys moving heavy iron,BULK MONSTERS!"

I don't want any more Bob Sanders..

Glass Bob was just an undersized skinny guy who took 'roids. Totally different. Now where did I put that flame shield...

My bad...there are some that come off that way but I find most very insightful and appreciate their expertise. Not everyone on the board is as familiar with the nuances of the game and I apologize if you thought I was being condescending. All I was trying to say was there is a lot more to it than just run or pass. I don't know you or your knowledge of the game. I was simply trying to expound on what they were trying to get at but simply because they have only 20 and 30 second sound bites make it hard for them to do. Many people on this forum have varying degrees of background with the game of football and I was just trying to give more insight. It wasn't directed necessarily at you...you made an overly simple comment that there are only two things a team can do and acted like the commentators are dumb because they talk as if there are more...I just was trying to expound on what they are meaning. I apologize.

Don't worry about it.

Don't get me wrong, what little I know about football comes from listening to these people for the past 40+ years, so they must be conveying something. But many are horrible, and the more hours that the NFL network (and ESPN) tries to fill the more nonsense we are subjected to. Most of their former coaches, and many of their better spoken former players/analysts can provide a wealth of knowledge. Many others provide virtually nothing, and listening to them makes my brain hurt. The scenario I depicted is something that I've heard way too often.

Luck will be signed before camp. We all know that. This is all just typical posturing from both sides, excluding Luck and Irsay, who have their lackies doing their bidding. Not worth commenting on..........oh.......

:lol: I agree. I don't have a single solitary thing to say on the topic. But I never let that stop me.

Is it sad that Irsay is less accurate than a broken clock?

haharotflmao:lol: And here I thought ESPN's Skip Bayless was the only person to win that honor.

Skip was probably getting lonely all by himself on that mountain top anyway right? Now, he has someone else to talk to. :thmup:

Put Twitter down and deal!

1. If you honestly think Irsay is on twitter rather than working out a contract I don't know what to tell you other than it takes like two seconds to send a tweet it takes much longer to do a contract. I really doubt his tweeting is keeping him from doing a deal.

2. He's not talking the deal to start with. That's what Grigson is for. Yes I am sure Irsay gets up dates from Grigson and has to sign off on it but he's not the one on the phone with Luck's agent trying to work it out so it's not his fault something isn't done right now. People love to complain about Irsay being on tweeter and not doing stuff and then turn around say I hope Irsay keeps his nose out of things. If people don't want him to act like a GM then don't call for him to do things that are the GM's job.

3. As people have pointed out before there is no real must do with getting the deal done right now. Not till camp at the end of the month. As much as people might not like hearing this it probably hasn't been at the top of Grigson's to do list as he is probably focusing on other aspects of his job knowing full well when the time comes to get a deal done they will be able to work out the last few wrinkles and get the contract done.

remember last year at this time it was all about Peyton's neck. They could go all day with experts from every field.Now they don;t have that,so they grasp at straws.

They are trying to fill time, keep us involved and excited about the game and collecting there checks its that simple, there isnt alot of Colts news to be had right now. But the next bit of Colts news I expect to hear has to do with Lucks deal being signed sealed and delivered or that Castonzo is healthy and ready to go, the rest will work itself out either after Luck is signed (meaning our other draft picks that have yet to be signed) or come the start of the season (meaning who is starting where and more cuts).

You keep talking about Castonzos health......what is exactly wrong with him? He has not played in 6 months how could he still be hurt? Did he get hurt in OTA's.....did he tear an ACL?

I'm going to take another approach on this.... I think Irsay is very much involved. And I think Grigson is as well. I think it's very much on their "to do" list...

Here's my guess.......

They don't agree on something or someTHINGS.... and I suspect whatever these issues are they are also applicable to the players right behind Luck as well. The first 8 picks are unsigned. So, I'm guessing that other owners are letting Irsay know not to cave in because then they'll have to with their picks.... and Grigson surely hears about it.... and I'm guessing Luck's Uncle is hearing from other agents as well as the NFLPA to hold out for whatever these issues are because it'll be better for all the other picks. Luck is the standard bearer. What he gets, others will try to get. But if he doesn't, that'll make it next to impossible for everyone else.

I think there's lots and lots going on behind the scenes.

How long this plays out I have no idea. But there are a fair numbers of unsigned rookies... and camp opens (at least for the Colts) in 3 weeks. Again, this is just my Wild *** Guess... a real WAG.... (I censored myself, hope that's OK?)

Tick, tock... that time will go pretty darn fast....

Is the steroids thing real or fake

He's never tested positive, but all the signs are there. One of the side effects of roids is that while your muscles get bigger and stronger, your ligaments and tendons do not, leading to ruptures and tears. And Bob just so happened to have those big ole bicep tendons rupture in consecutive years. Just Sayin'.

He's never tested positive, but all the signs are there. One of the side effects of roids is that while your muscles get bigger and stronger, your ligaments and tendons do not, leading to ruptures and tears. And Bob just so happened to have those big ole bicep tendons rupture in consecutive years. Just Sayin'.

So you don't admit that this is 100% conjecture?

You keep talking about Castonzos health......what is exactly wrong with him? He has not played in 6 months how could he still be hurt? Did he get hurt in OTA's.....did he tear an ACL?

Offseason ankle surgery, I dont remember when it took place, January maybe

Because the deadline is still three weeks away.

That and all the CBA does is lock in the years and what the numbers can be. What can and is being talked about is how the money is paid out over the contract.

You said it though this a deadline driven league and the deadline isn't here yet and till it's close neither party is going to rush into it.

Is the steroids thing real or fake

There are no official records where Sanders has been proven to be on steroids or you wouldn't need to ask that question and I don't mean that in a mean way. It would have been a major story. So people are pretty much forming their own opinions. If you want to think he did them you can find enough things to make an argument for it. If you want to say hey there is no real proof that he did you can say that as well.

There are no official records where Sanders has been proven to be on steroids or you wouldn't need to ask that question and I don't mean that in a mean way. It would have been a major story. So people are pretty much forming their own opinions. If you want to think he did them you can find enough things to make an argument for it. If you want to say hey there is no real proof that he did you can say that as well.

By all means I wouldn't have taken that as mean statement. I just know that he was never healthy for a season and he had some nice 'ceps on him and all the speculation about HGH and PEDs, maybe it was a discreet story like Harrison's retirement.

I'm going to take another approach on this.... I think Irsay is very much involved. And I think Grigson is as well. I think it's very much on their "to do" list...

Here's my guess.......

They don't agree on something or someTHINGS.... and I suspect whatever these issues are they are also applicable to the players right behind Luck as well. The first 8 picks are unsigned. So, I'm guessing that other owners are letting Irsay know not to cave in because then they'll have to with their picks.... and Grigson surely hears about it.... and I'm guessing Luck's Uncle is hearing from other agents as well as the NFLPA to hold out for whatever these issues are because it'll be better for all the other picks. Luck is the standard bearer. What he gets, others will try to get. But if he doesn't, that'll make it next to impossible for everyone else.

I think there's lots and lots going on behind the scenes.

How long this plays out I have no idea. But there are a fair numbers of unsigned rookies... and camp opens (at least for the Colts) in 3 weeks. Again, this is just my Wild *** Guess... a real WAG.... (I censored myself, hope that's OK?)

Tick, tock... that time will go pretty darn fast....

I agree with You on this. There should be a lot more things behind the scenes on what we have no idea. And perhaps other teams are waiting for Luck-deal, as it can be a "blueprint" for them.

According to John Clayton's opinion, delay is due to agent who tries to get the best concessions for Luck and the deal could have done this week.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8140747&categoryid=2378529

1. If you honestly think Irsay is on twitter rather than working out a contract I don't know what to tell you other than it takes like two seconds to send a tweet it takes much longer to do a contract. I really doubt his tweeting is keeping him from doing a deal.

2. He's not talking the deal to start with. That's what Grigson is for. Yes I am sure Irsay gets up dates from Grigson and has to sign off on it but he's not the one on the phone with Luck's agent trying to work it out so it's not his fault something isn't done right now. People love to complain about Irsay being on tweeter and not doing stuff and then turn around say I hope Irsay keeps his nose out of things. If people don't want him to act like a GM then don't call for him to do things that are the GM's job.

3. As people have pointed out before there is no real must do with getting the deal done right now. Not till camp at the end of the month. As much as people might not like hearing this it probably hasn't been at the top of Grigson's to do list as he is probably focusing on other aspects of his job knowing full well when the time comes to get a deal done they will be able to work out the last few wrinkles and get the contract done.

Excuse me? If you think I don't realize any of that then you don't know me...

1. I have been watching The Colts longer than you probably have been alive and understand the game and the working of contracts just fine thank you. If I need a lesson I willl be sure to ask. :lol:

2. The Twitter nonsense of a deal being close has arose a few times and quite frankly is not news! And yes I understand Twitter takes 2 seconds un-like a deal...there really is no sense re-tweeting the same thing over and over again unless something changes....now is there? :loco:

3. I understand that there is time left and that the top 8 haven't signed, I can read. :slaphead:

4. I also understand that I am not the only one tired of the "tweets" of a deal close yet you chose to single me out :hmm: