Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trying to trade for Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins [Merge]

MTC

Is jenkins one of the Best? Looking at the Ravens CBs Pagano had to work with: Smith 4.42f,37v,4.06s and 6.93c. Webb 4.35f,36.5v,4.10s, and 6.77c. The Giants have a good group with Webster 4.50f,39v,4.01s, and 6.91c. Ross 4.44f,34v,4.15s, and 6.72c. Forty Niners have Rogers 4.44f,40.5v,3.82s,and 6.48c. Brown with 4.42f,33.5v, 4.37s, and 7.00c. Jenkins was 4.38f,34v,7.21c and 4.40s. Cassius Vaughn is similar to Jenkins with 4.42f,38.5v,4.50s, and 7.23c. Jeraud Powers, Kevin Thomas, and Antonio Fenelus all have similar results. Pagano's CBs at Baltimore all ran their 40s under 4.45. Chism, Johnson and Rucker are higher than the 4.50 for their 40s. If Fenelus was 3 inches taller he would have probably been picked in round 3. Fenelus said scouts told him he could go between rounds 4 and 7 to FA because of his height. This group seems as athletic as Jenkins. Powers and Thomas have injury issues but so does Jenkins.

I dont think we need to rush this deal whatsoever by bending over backwards too much to accomodate the Cowboys' demands. If anything, this should motivate the ones on the roster to take the next step and prove that they belong on the starting roster of an NFL team. Like you said, Fenelus and Chrism are the ones I have high hopes for among the UDFA CBs, let us hope those two along with Vaughn, Thomas and Rucker surprise us. Sometimes, a good unheralded group with few stars can have better chemistry than one with two or more stars in the secondary. These guys have a chance to learn a new system together and have everything to prove, more to gain than to lose in terms of expectations.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

believe it or not we have a little speed on the team at cb just needed a new system

mike jenkins 40yd, 4.38 20yds, 2.53

jerraud powers 40yd, 4.43 20yds, 2.59

kevin thomas 40yd, 4.41 20yds, 2.50

buddy jackson 40yd, 4.37 20yds, 2.58

cassius vaughn 40yd, 4.42 20yds, 2.59

not that much different so these guys have speed some have talent just never had coaching ,

Teams like the Bengals and Ravens might cut a serviceable CB. Maybe for whatever reason the Packers cut Casey Hayward and we pick him up

I thought I had a dry sense of humor. You are kidding when you talk of Hayward being cut...right ?

what makes you think he can come over an be our number 1 Corner? I mean granted our Corners havent shown anything to this point but the Cover 2 we were running didnt exactly allow that, I'd rather keep the pick and draft a Corner, besides I bet drafting a Corner would be cheaper now then getting Jenkins although I dont know how much hes making this year

Even if you only gave us a 3rd or even 4th you won't get off cheap with Jenkins. He'll want a long term deal for Deion money. As stated earlier his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. There is nothing in his body of work if you had watched him that would even remotely suggest that kind of deal. Here's a big big clue - if Jenkins was so great then why did Dallas acquire two new starting corners? Its because the dirty little secret is that Jenkins is a liability in coverage far more often than not.

Someone also mentioned earlier that they weren't worried about Jenkins refusing to tackle because Deion Sanders was known for it. Well, Deion gave you all time great shut down corner skills, as well as one of the all time great kick and punt return skills, as well as ball hawk turnover instincts. You get NONE of that with Jenkins in exchange for refusing to tackle.

If you are going to play zone that is a whole other matter. Jenkins is even worse in zone coverage than he is man to man. He didn't seem to know where he needed to be or when to pass a receiver off to a safety and cover the swing pass. The Cowboys got absolutely killed by swing passes the last two seasons. Whether it was Wade Phillips or Rob Ryan calling the D, Jenkins was getting burned (so was Newman to an even worse degree, thus the Cowboys total makeover at CB). The Cowboys lost at least 3 games due to horrendous secondary causing the inability to get key stops late in games. That turned a potential 11-5 team into an 8-8 team watching the playoffs on TV.

I hope you guys heed what I say. I don't have any animosity towards the Colts because I am a fan of an NFC team, and we rearely ever play each other. I'm just giving you the story on Jenkins from a person who has seen every snap of his.

Even if you only gave us a 3rd or even 4th you won't get off cheap with Jenkins. He'll want a long term deal for Deion money. As stated earlier his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. There is nothing in his body of work if you had watched him that would even remotely suggest that kind of deal. Here's a big big clue - if Jenkins was so great then why did Dallas acquire two new starting corners? Its because the dirty little secret is that Jenkins is a liability in coverage far more often than not.

Someone also mentioned earlier that they weren't worried about Jenkins refusing to tackle because Deion Sanders was known for it. Well, Deion gave you all time great shut down corner skills, as well as one of the all time great kick and punt return skills, as well as ball hawk turnover instincts. You get NONE of that with Jenkins in exchange for refusing to tackle.

If you are going to play zone that is a whole other matter. Jenkins is even worse in zone coverage than he is man to man. He didn't seem to know where he needed to be or when to pass a receiver off to a safety and cover the swing pass. The Cowboys got absolutely killed by swing passes the last two seasons. Whether it was Wade Phillips or Rob Ryan calling the D, Jenkins was getting burned (so was Newman to an even worse degree, thus the Cowboys total makeover at CB). The Cowboys lost at least 3 games due to horrendous secondary causing the inability to get key stops late in games. That turned a potential 11-5 team into an 8-8 team watching the playoffs on TV.

I hope you guys heed what I say. I don't have any animosity towards the Colts because I am a fan of an NFC team, and we rearely ever play each other. I'm just giving you the story on Jenkins from a person who has seen every snap of his.

Dont have to convince me not to take him, I was against it the minute I heard giving up a 3rd and a 4th, thats just ridiculous especially since we dont have a 5th, I like man corners over zone but I am hoping for Amerson next year or Xavier Rhodes

Yes,by all means, lets watch the waiver wire. That is the way to build championship teams by taking other teams rejects.

Its a band-aid for now, were gonna go defense next year. We had to put weapons around Luck(which we did) our d was only bad due to the situations our offense put us in (for the most part)

Its a band-aid for now, were gonna go defense next year. We had to put weapons around Luck(which we did) our d was only bad due to the situations our offense put us in (for the most part)

I disagree our defense hasnt been able to stop the run in years, last year our offense put the defense in bad spots but given past history with the defense that wouldnt have helped much as anyone can tell by all of the releases we have been through and additions especially on defense

Dallas should just trade him and get something out of it. If I knew I had a player who wanted out and I could get something useful in exchange for him, I'd do it. It isn't like losing one of their 893536346 cb's is going to hurt anything. Jerry Jones is just too full of himself.

Dont have to convince me not to take him, I was against it the minute I heard giving up a 3rd and a 4th, thats just ridiculous especially since we dont have a 5th, I like man corners over zone but I am hoping for Amerson next year or Xavier Rhodes

How about Amerson in the first and then Rhodes in the second(not but who knows what will happen) then Carrington Byndom from Texas

Yes,by all means, lets watch the waiver wire. That is the way to build championship teams by taking other teams rejects.

That's a little simple.. You can't have a team made up of superstars and first round draft picks. A team might have to many players in one particular position, and another team can have a need in that position due to having needed to draft at other positions or because of injuries or players not living up to expectations.

A linebacker that isn't a starter for the Ravens defense, can very well be a very capable linebacker and do a great job for another team as a starter.

Because a player didn't become a starter for Team A, doesn't mean that he can't improve Team B.

I'm not sure that Jenkins is the perfect guy for us, but he sure would be a step up compared to our current CB line up.

How about Amerson in the first and then Rhodes in the second(not but who knows what will happen) then Carrington Byndom from Texas

Can't really imagine Grigson going for CB with our first two or three picks next year. There are lot's of other areas that needs to be adressed other than CB. Especially if Freeney is no longer with us by then.

Xavier Rhodes is a top 15 pick..would've went in the top 20 of this draft that just passed but he decided to stay

There is no guarantee that we will be in position to take Amerson. Pagano is no fool, he knows he's got 3 years max to turn this thing around or he may be shown the door much like Steve Spagnolo who was put in a similar situation. He wants to win now and stake his claim that he's here to stay.

lol how about just Amerson and then Jenkins, Jenkins Devin Taylor or Mingo

I know you are crazy for CBs so I thought we would just go all out on CBs

From what I saw last year he was projected as late 1st and early 2nd. I realize he will have his stock raise and how good he is.

As for all the other replies I was joking. I know we have more needs not just CBs. You all know how Gavin is crazy for CBs so I was messing with him

I know you are crazy for CBs so I thought we would just go all out on CBs

From what I saw last year he was projected as late 1st and early 2nd. I realize he will have his stock raise and how good he is.

As for all the other replies I was joking. I know we have more needs not just CBs. You all know how Gavin is crazy for CBs so I was messing with him

a passing league requires Corners that can cover and Ill take my number 1 Corner to be a shutdown Corner over one in the middle to late in the draft

a passing league requires Corners that can cover and Ill take my number 1 Corner to be a shutdown Corner over one in the middle to late in the draft

That is why I like the Cowboys' chances this year (hate to say it) with Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne on the outside and possibly Mike Jenkins on the inside, they have the talent in the secondary now to compete in the QB rich NFC, IMO.

Is it safe to say the AFC is the lesser conference

Yes, from top to bottom, it is safe to say. The heavyweights like the Steelers, Ravens, Pats etc. can still hang with the best of the NFC though the NFC would win 2 out of 3 most times. In a one game elimination however, those things are out the window.

That is why I like the Cowboys' chances this year (hate to say it) with Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne on the outside and possibly Mike Jenkins on the inside, they have the talent in the secondary now to compete in the QB rich NFC, IMO.

Agree. And don't forget they play in the NFC East. *coughpatterncough* So hope is alive for old Jerry this season. ;)