Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trying to trade for Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins [Merge]

MTC

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7972613/indianapolis-colts-making-bid-dalllas-cowboys-mike-jenkins-source-says

The Indianapolis Colts have made multiple trade offers to the Dallas Cowboys in an effort to acquire disgruntled cornerback Mike Jenkins, and the last one remains on the table, according to a league source.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said this week that Dallas would not trade Jenkins. But another NFL source familiar with the situation said he believed a trade could be worked out for the right price.

The Colts already traded for one cornerback this week, acquiring Cassius Vaughn from the cornerback-rich Denver Broncos, and Indianapolis is not through trying to upgrade at the position.Jenkins has declined to participate in the Cowboys voluntary Organized Team Activities and would like to be traded.

A Colts official declined comment, yet a person connected to the team said Indianapolis has been trying to pry loose Jenkins with an offer that one source said "many teams would think is compelling."

Jenkins is in the last year of his contract at a time when Dallas awarded free-agent cornerback Brandon Carr a $51 million contract and also traded up to the sixth spot in the draft to select cornerback Morris Claiborne.

Within the framework of its current roster, Indianapolis' starting cornerbacks likely would beJerraud Powers and Kevin Thomas.

Sorry, but I don't keep up with what type of D the Cowboys run.

If it's a 4-3 base, perhaps we'll offer a DL or LB that we're not sure will fit into the new 3-4 hybrid.

Sadly, I must have said something wrong, and Ruksak's booted me from the 'peace, love, football, hippie, something' club.

Sorry, but I don't keep up with what type of D the Cowboys run.

If it's a 4-3 base, perhaps we'll offer a DL or LB that we're not sure will fit into the new 3-4 hybrid.

They run a 3-4 with Rob Ryan and probably offering either Moala or Antonio Johnson w/ a draft pick attached for Jenkins.just my guess

Yea but mike Jenkins(27) and Samuel(31) are in two different age brackets. That's a whole college career separating them age wise

True, however Asante Samuel is better than Mike Jenkins, which works to bridge the gap a little. I honestly thought the Samuel trade was kind of light, so it wouldn't surprise me if Jenkins draws a 4th rounder.

True, however Asante Samuel is better than Mike Jenkins, which works to bridge the gap a little. I honestly thought the Samuel trade was kind of light, so it wouldn't surprise me if Jenkins draws a 4th rounder.

Yea but Jenkins hasn't even hit his prime yet while Samuel has a good 2yrs left in him at a top level.Being that our team went young I would take the younger one who is heading into his prime

I'm pretty sure the Colts been in contact with the Cowboys since Jenkins requested a trade since we already offered multiple trades for him. It's just now getting public that's all. if we indeed pick up Jenkins our starting D shoul be solid just have to develop quality backups now

Asante Samuel brought a 7th rounder.

That was most likely because of Asante Samuel's contract, which was huge, no bargaining front for the Eagles. Michael Jenkins is younger and his contract is not as high:

7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $9.725 million contract. The deal contains $6.75 million guaranteed, including a $3.1 million signing bonus. 2012: $1.052 million, 2013: Free Agent

Click on view contract details on this link: http://www.rotoworld...73/mike-jenkins

That is why it is a very doable contract for the Colts as a one year plan. If he does well, we will have both Powers and Jenkins as free agent CBs to re-sign in 2013. Very good press CB, more physical than Asante in tackling and in press, just does not have the same ball skills in space or zone like Asante.

I expect a 4th or 5th rounder given up for Jenkins.

The reason Jenkins will probably bring more in trade value than Assante Samuel did is two fold. One as someone already mentioned a]is the difference in age. Two , which is probably a bigger factor , is the Eagles had no "leverage" in the Samuel "situation." He was the number 3 CB with a huge contract. Teams knew that the Eagles had little chioce but to just release him if they coudn't trade him. We were in much the same boat if we wanted to move Freeney this year. He had a base of 14 million and that pretty much made it impossible to get the proper compensation if we indeed did want to part ways with him. IMO , the Cowboys are doing a nice job of posturing with Jenkins. If he brings more than a 4th , it would be a real >>> job. Also why is no one mentioning the bad shoulder he is reported to have ?