Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trying to trade for Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins [Merge]

MTC

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And one of our key needs is a CB......so not really crazy....

what makes you think he can come over an be our number 1 Corner? I mean granted our Corners havent shown anything to this point but the Cover 2 we were running didnt exactly allow that, I'd rather keep the pick and draft a Corner, besides I bet drafting a Corner would be cheaper now then getting Jenkins although I dont know how much hes making this year

Like hoosier stated he was talking about next year and then the Col.ts would get a comp. I assumed (I know I should never assume) that he was talking about being released this year.

I don't know all the ins and outs of comp but if you lose more FA than you sign and those FA than you get comp picks for those FA. If those FAs that you lost do well on their next team then you get higher comps. Thus the joke about the Colts NOT getting a first round comp pick for Manning.

That was my fault, should have been more clear about that. I meant if Dallas held on to Jenkins until he becomes a free agent at years end, then he signs somewhere else. How the league awards comp picks is a little confusing (like what round), to say the least. But you were right, if they let him go under contract they wouldn't get one. I agree w/what you say about Manning btw, don't understand the comp situation there??

Mike Jenkins is making 1.052 million dollars this year according to RotoWorld in his final year of what was his 5 year rookie contract deal, given what rookies are making now I am sure we can sign a first round draft pick Corner (Amerson) for alot less

Mike Jenkins is making 1.052 million dollars this year according to RotoWorld in his final year of what was his 5 year rookie contract deal, given what rookies are making now I am sure we can sign a first round draft pick Corner (Amerson) for alot less

Wrong. Anthony Castonzo drafted 22nd overall under new CBA signed a 4 year 8 million dollar deal. 1 million is extremely cheap.

what makes you think he can come over an be our number 1 Corner? I mean granted our Corners havent shown anything to this point but the Cover 2 we were running didnt exactly allow that, I'd rather keep the pick and draft a Corner, besides I bet drafting a Corner would be cheaper now then getting Jenkins although I dont know how much hes making this year

I do not think that he can come in and be a no 1 corner. I never said that. If Pags thinks he will be, then it is not a crazy idea, as we might get a bust in next years draft. Like we have done quite ofter recently. In one hand you have a proven player at NFL level, and on the other, we are drafting someone who is unproven. Doesn't seem like such a mad idea to me.....

I'm also a Cowboy fan, but I have a different take than some others. Mike Jenkins is an excellant CB and I don't want the Cowboys to trade him. He was our #1 CB last year and likely would be again this year, regardless of Carr and Claiborne aquisitions. Not sure where all the rumors started regarding a holdout, he's rehabbing in FL following shoulder surgery and would not be participating regardless.

It's not hard to figure out why the Cowboys are reluctant to trade Jenkins. His contract this year is $1m, + a cap hit of slightly more than $500k from his rookie signing bonus. So let's assume they let him play out his contract this year and he leaves. They've only paid $1.5m for a top 20 CB when these guys are going for about $10m a year and they almost certainly would receive a compensatory draft pick no lower than a fourth rd.

If they trade him for a draft pick, they still take the cap hit for $500k (already paid) and have to replace him with another player. Even at minimum wage, they only save about $550k. Where are they going to find a replacement 1,2, or 3 CB for that price? Not! When all is said Jenkins only costs Dallas $550 k to be on the roster this year.

Conversely, a team that trades for him essentially gets a top flight CB for free this year when you factor in a team would not trade unless they were sure he would sign an extension, say 5 years. They really get him for 6 years. Pretty simple to see why the Cowboys don't want to trade him and the Colts want him.

I do not think that he can come in and be a no 1 corner. I never said that. If Pags thinks he will be, then it is not a crazy idea, as we might get a bust in next years draft. Like we have done quite ofter recently. In one hand you have a proven player at NFL level, and on the other, we are drafting someone who is unproven. Doesn't seem like such a mad idea to me.....

Might not be a crazy idea but he certainly comes with question marks, such as will he work hard and not quit on his team, hes good when he wants to be but thats part of the problem, the other problem being he is in his final year of his rookie contract so hes going to want to get paid who knows how much, I think your better off taking a guy like Amerson if he is available and signing him to a 5 year deal worth 9 million or so

Might not be a crazy idea but he certainly comes with question marks, such as will he work hard and not quit on his team, hes good when he wants to be but thats part of the problem, the other problem being he is in his final year of his rookie contract so hes going to want to get paid who knows how much, I think your better off taking a guy like Amerson if he is available and signing him to a 5 year deal worth 9 million or so

I accept question marks! I'd rather not trade a 2 as well for him, but I could see why he would do it...

Wrong. Anthony Castonzo drafted 22nd overall under new CBA signed a 4 year 8 million dollar deal. 1 million is extremely cheap.

That was before the new rookie cap. However, a top 10 pick will probably coast us a little more than that ( I haven't looked at the salaries from this year )

I don't know enough about this guy to have much of an opinion, but the quitter label does make me nervous.

That was before the new rookie cap. However, a top 10 pick will probably coast us a little more than that ( I haven't looked at the salaries from this year )

I don't know enough about this guy to have much of an opinion, but the quitter label does make me nervous.

Rookie cap was in place. It was last year 2011, same year the number 1 pick, Cam Newton, got a 4 year 22 million dollar deal.

I think were just best off waiting untill next offseason. Were supposedly gonna have about 40 mil in Cap space available but I would assume that will be before we resighn anyone. After were done resighning Id still say we will have 15-20 mill left at least to be used on free agents. So we could go get a guy like ** 1A Dominique Rodgers Cromartie**, Aquib Talib, Revis possibly or Bryant Mc Fadded. But Id really hope we focus on DRC first off because he is young and has alot of potential as he has shown in Arizona. Then there is Revis if becomes available which would be my 1B option. If we pull one of those guys and depending on how our corners this year play maybe snag another decent one in the first three rounds of the draft, we would look pretty good there. Plus if we go get a Jarvis Jones to mix into our LB Core and Maybe a Chase Thomas in the second. I think we could come out of next offseason with pretty much all the peices in place to have a good defense if we play it right. No need to rush a move for this Jenkins in my opinion we should have plenty of options next off season.

There is still a chance the cowboys trade him... they may be fishing for the right price... if there was a certainty of not trading him I don't think the colts would have let out a second offer and as far as we know the cowboys haven't turned that down.

It wouldn't be smart for us at the price the Cowboys are wanting, that's to much to give up for a second Corner, just get Amerson in next years draft and the worst case you will have their is move Powers to #2 if Amerson continues to show shutdown capabilities

I'm hearing we offered a 2nd round pick. that's too steep a price and it's hard to believe the cowboys didn't jump right on that offer considering he still has to be given an extension and that's what he is ticked about even though his contract is not up.

It wouldn't be smart for us at the price the Cowboys are wanting, that's to much to give up for a second Corner, just get Amerson in next years draft and the worst case you will have their is move Powers to #2 if Amerson continues to show shutdown capabilities

Us getting Amerson is far from a guarentee though. There is probably a real good chance we are not gonna be in a position to get him. Yes he is a great player and heck probably go top 3 or 4 next year if he doesnt have a drop off year. I just have a very good feeling we wont be picking any higher than the 6 or 7 pick. Not saying there is no chance of us getting him but more than likley very small so I wouldnt get the hopes up too much.

Us getting Amerson is far from a guarentee though. There is probably a real good chance we are not gonna be in a position to get him. Yes he is a great player and heck probably go top 3 or 4 next year if he doesnt have a drop off year. I just have a very good feeling we wont be picking any higher than the 6 or 7 pick. Not saying there is no chance of us getting him but more than likley very small so I wouldnt get the hopes up too much.

oh I know, Im hoping we have a good year and grow but wouldnt be disappointed with a poor record just because the worse the record the greater the chance we can get him, I think 4-5 wins maybe 6 is definitly possible but I dont think more then that given all the new pieces and older pieces in new places and new schemes and all that

oh I know, Im hoping we have a good year and grow but wouldnt be disappointed with a poor record just because the worse the record the greater the chance we can get him, I think 4-5 wins maybe 6 is definitly possible but I dont think more then that given all the new pieces and older pieces in new places and new schemes and all that

I see what your saying, Iwould love to have the guy as well and you never really know because If by some chance the worst team in the league has 3 or 4 wins than that would shift things and we could move up. Either way I think we should be able to address the position more than adequetley either by the draft or via Free agency with a DRC or Revis becuase we should have some money to spend next off season for sure.

I see what your saying, Iwould love to have the guy as well and you never really know because If by some chance the worst team in the league has 3 or 4 wins than that would shift things and we could move up. Either way I think we should be able to address the position more than adequetley either by the draft or via Free agency with a DRC or Revis becuase we should have some money to spend next off season for sure.

Yes, its not that I dont want us to win but we dont have all the right pieces to sustain success at this point, I want us to grow as a team and compete hard

Yes, its not that I dont want us to win but we dont have all the right pieces to sustain success at this point, I want us to grow as a team and compete hard

I want us to have success for 15 to 20 years as well but It takes time and I know thats not what we want to hear, but thats how it goes. I beleive we are alot closer to having all the peices in place than people think. If we use free agency and the draft correctly and adress our remaineing needs and add some depth in some areas then I think we are gonna have just about all our peices in place going into the 2013-2014 season. Maybe not all of them but a good majority of them. Definatley enough to have successs.

Have no idea of why you all are dwelling on Jenkin's salary. If the Colts traded for him and gave up a 3 and a four as advertised , it would certainly mean the Colts would sign him to a new deal. Although I think what Amerson would get next year is almost a non issue , I would think it would be similar to Petersons deal who went 5th in the 2011 draft. 18 million overf 4 years.

I want us to have success for 15 to 20 years as well but It takes time and I know thats not what we want to hear, but thats how it goes. I beleive we are alot closer to having all the peices in place than people think. If we use free agency and the draft correctly and adress our remaineing needs and add some depth in some areas then I think we are gonna have just about all our peices in place going into the 2013-2014 season. Maybe not all of them but a good majority of them. Definatley enough to have successs.

Im looking at this as a two year project, I think the Colts are to at least Irsay pretty much came out and said it would take time, so I am thinking two years since we went primarily all offense in the draft with the exception of Chapman and Fugger, things could very well fall into place for us to be competing for the division in the next year or two

Have no idea of why you all are dwelling on Jenkin's salary. If the Colts traded for him and gave up a 3 and a four as advertised , it would certainly mean the Colts would sign him to a new deal. Although I think what Amerson would get next year is almost a non issue , I would think it would be similar to Petersons deal who went 5th in the 2011 draft. 18 million overf 4 years.

Im not dwelling over Jenkins salary, Im just hoping we dont do something I think is silly and give up a 3rd and a 4th for him when we already dont have a 5th, that would mean we would basically be counting on our top two picks to play lights out from the start

You threw me off a bit with this.... First of all it's true that you woud be better off with the highest ranked CB in next years draft. Although there are no 5 year deals anymore. There are a few that contain an option year . I heard that they are being done with the 5th year option to be at the Franchise transition price , which is the average of the top 10 highest paid players at that position. Think that's right but not positive. In any event , you have Amerson's esitmated salary at about half of what it would be. But no big deal as we seem to agree that money is not the issue.

I happen to agree with you and those that would not give up a 3rd and 4th for him. If we offered a 2nd like it's been reported , that is obvs. even worse. That said , his possible contract demands , IMO , are not the issue. We have tons of cap room after this year to sign him to an extension.

You threw me off a bit with this.... First of all it's true that you woud be better off with the highest ranked CB in next years draft. Although there are no 5 year deals anymore. There are a few that contain an option year . I heard that they are being done with the 5th year option to be at the Franchise transition price , which is the average of the top 10 highest paid players at that position. Think that's right but not positive. In any event , you have Amerson's esitmated salary at about half of what it would be. But no big deal as we seem to agree that money is not the issue.

I happen to agree with you and those that would not give up a 3rd and 4th for him. If we offered a 2nd like it's been reported , that is obvs. even worse. That said , his possible contract demands , IMO , are not the issue. We have tons of cap room after this year to sign him to an extension.

Money not the issue, what we would be giving up is the issue

Money not the issue, what we would be giving up is the issue

Right Gavin , that was my point . Some were bringing up salaries for players we might be able to draft in 2013 and throwing figures out there that were totally off. But hopefully you and I have straightened that guy out

Right Gavin , that was my point . Some were bringing up salaries for players we might be able to draft in 2013 and throwing figures out there that were totally off. But hopefully you and I have straightened that guy out

by that guy you mean me lol, I failed to take into account what a first rounder would probably cost high in the draft especially a Corner but the bigger concern would obviously be this year what would we be giving up to get Jenkins and the loss is greater then the reward

Where would he play on the Cowboys? Unless you suspect a multiple team trade. Freeney really does make sense in the Colt's Hybrid and I don't think anyone but the fans are in a hurry to trade him. It is all for sale, but Freeney fits.

I just thought that the FO would try to unload his contract onto someone else. But then I looked at the Cowboy's roster and realized the trade wouldn't make sense to the Cowboys to trade for Freeney

by that guy you mean me lol, I failed to take into account what a first rounder would probably cost high in the draft especially a Corner but the bigger concern would obviously be this year what would we be giving up to get Jenkins and the loss is greater then the reward

Hopefully this deal is dead but I have a feeling it's not. My belief is the Cowboys would be glad to get something like a 3rd and 4th from a team figuring to draft in the top 5. So I'm hoping the reports of us offering that are false. If we really did offer a 2nd as some report , I'll begin to worry about Grigson. If we are loooking at giving up a 4th , I could live with that.

Hopefully this deal is dead but I have a feeling it's not. My belief is the Cowboys would be glad to get something like a 3rd and 4th from a team figuring to draft in the top 5. So I'm hoping the reports of us offering that are false. If we really did offer a 2nd as some report , I'll begin to worry about Grigson. If we are loooking at giving up a 4th , I could live with that.

I wouldnt give up any pick, got to remember we dont have a fifth, we still have plenty of holes on the defense

funny.......Colts web-site roster has listed a CB, Buddy Jackson, as a 31 year old rookie.....I thought , "What are they doing? Going out in the street and asking people if they want to play CB for the Colts?"......roto world has him listed as 23.....

Is jenkins one of the Best? Looking at the Ravens CBs Pagano had to work with: Smith 4.42f,37v,4.06s and 6.93c. Webb 4.35f,36.5v,4.10s, and 6.77c. The Giants have a good group with Webster 4.50f,39v,4.01s, and 6.91c. Ross 4.44f,34v,4.15s, and 6.72c. Forty Niners have Rogers 4.44f,40.5v,3.82s,and 6.48c. Brown with 4.42f,33.5v, 4.37s, and 7.00c. Jenkins was 4.38f,34v,7.21c and 4.40s. Cassius Vaughn is similar to Jenkins with 4.42f,38.5v,4.50s, and 7.23c. Jeraud Powers, Kevin Thomas, and Antonio Fenelus all have similar results. Pagano's CBs at Baltimore all ran their 40s under 4.45. Chism, Johnson and Rucker are higher than the 4.50 for their 40s. If Fenelus was 3 inches taller he would have probably been picked in round 3. Fenelus said scouts told him he could go between rounds 4 and 7 to FA because of his height. This group seems as athletic as Jenkins. Powers and Thomas have injury issues but so does Jenkins.