Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trying to trade for Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins [Merge]

MTC

The reason Jenkins will probably bring more in trade value than Assante Samuel did is two fold. One as someone already mentioned a]is the difference in age. Two , which is probably a bigger factor , is the Eagles had no "leverage" in the Samuel "situation." He was the number 3 CB with a huge contract. Teams knew that the Eagles had little chioce but to just release him if they coudn't trade him. We were in much the same boat if we wanted to move Freeney this year. He had a base of 14 million and that pretty much made it impossible to get the proper compensation if we indeed did want to part ways with him. IMO , the Cowboys are doing a nice job of posturing with Jenkins. If he brings more than a 4th , it would be a real >>> job. Also why is no one mentioning the bad shoulder he is reported to have ?

We can use it as a conditional pick clause. If he plays without injury and plays 12 games, it is a 4th rounder. Otherwise, it is a 5th rounder. Something like that.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Jenkins? He's good, but...nothing more than a great #2 CB, imo. IIRC, he's had injury problems (aforementioned shoulder comes to mind) However, talent wise he's at least on par with powers, so it would be a huge upgrade to our pitiful secondary.

The reason Jenkins will probably bring more in trade value than Assante Samuel did is two fold. One as someone already mentioned a]is the difference in age. Two , which is probably a bigger factor , is the Eagles had no "leverage" in the Samuel "situation." He was the number 3 CB with a huge contract. Teams knew that the Eagles had little chioce but to just release him if they coudn't trade him. We were in much the same boat if we wanted to move Freeney this year. He had a base of 14 million and that pretty much made it impossible to get the proper compensation if we indeed did want to part ways with him. IMO , the Cowboys are doing a nice job of posturing with Jenkins. If he brings more than a 4th , it would be a real >>> job. Also why is no one mentioning the bad shoulder he is reported to have ?

Because doctors said he would be more than ready to go for training camp. And ppl are so quick to give up a 4th pick. Me personally would give up Antonio Johnson,Kevin Thomas, and a 6th rounder for Mike Jenkins and their 6th rounder but that's just me

If we pull this trade off, we will have some pieces to work with in the secondary for Manusky.

Getting Cassius Vaughn was for depth. Getting Mike Jenkins would probably be a ringing endorsement that they dont want to hedge their bets on Thomas and Rucker as much as we'd like to believe.

Isn't this the last year on his rookie deal? I wouldn't want to waste a pick for just a rental.

It is his rookie deal and his last contract year. He will be playing for a new contract, and if he does well, we will have both Powers and Jenkins as free agents in 2013.

That video 21issuperman posted is very worrying. I dont want him on my team if hes not gonna tackle. It was a very important game vs a divisional opponent and he lets him walk in for a TD.. No heart

I've seen Deion Sanders pass up on plenty of tackles and that doesnt change my mind on Deion Sanders

Jenkins has Talent, but he also has a Bad Attitude & Causes Pass-Interference (15 Yards) if he's about to get Burnt. But with Pagano being our HC.... He'll discipline him & Jenkins could be in the Top 10 CB's

Pass interference in the NFL is at the spot of the foul. In the NCAA it's 15 yards. In college it's smart to give it up if you're going to get burnt.

That was most likely because of Asante Samuel's contract, which was huge, no bargaining front for the Eagles. Michael Jenkins is younger and his contract is not as high:

7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $9.725 million contract. The deal contains $6.75 million guaranteed, including a $3.1 million signing bonus. 2012: $1.052 million, 2013: Free Agent

Click on view contract details on this link: http://www.rotoworld...73/mike-jenkins

That is why it is a very doable contract for the Colts as a one year plan. If he does well, we will have both Powers and Jenkins as free agent CBs to re-sign in 2013. Very good press CB, more physical than Asante in tackling and in press, just does not have the same ball skills in space or zone like Asante.

I expect a 4th or 5th rounder given up for Jenkins.

All good points. I obviously don't expect anyone to get Jenkins for a 7th rounder.

That video 21issuperman posted is very worrying. I dont want him on my team if hes not gonna tackle. It was a very important game vs a divisional opponent and he lets him walk in for a TD.. No heart

Did you see the score? I know he gave up, but still, it wasn't the game winning TD or anything.

Apparently it's a second, Cowboys want a first...

WHAT? It's the final year of his contract, and they think we would give them a first? That's a top ten pick! Heck, a second or third is too high! A fourth at the highest.

Pass interference in the NFL is at the spot of the foul. In the NCAA it's 15 yards. In college it's smart to give it up if you're going to get burnt.

Or if you get burnt just hold him for a 5yrd penalty and automatic first down rather than a 40yrd bomb

Isn't this the last year on his rookie deal? I wouldn't want to waste a pick for just a rental.

Jenkins wants to be traded . Sometimes in similar situations the team and player will agree to a new contract befofre the trade is completed. Almost always the case if the compensation is significant. Hard to say in this case as we dont really know how much the Colts value him.

A Cowboys fan here; I'd say that Jenkins has the potential to be a solid #1 corner. In 2009, he was more along the lines of a ballhawk CB, and I criticized him heavily at the end of the that season, and during his disastrous 2010 season. However, he surprisingly bounced back in 2011 and played very well, when on the field. His biggest setback last season was injury, but you could see him evolving from a risk-taking CB to a coverage CB. I'd recommend checking out his performance in the Arizona game last season where he was playing injured, and for the most part, kept Fitzgerald in check. He's still relatively young and coming into his own as a CB, the only risk is that he has been prone to injury the past two seasons here in Dallas.

Jenkins wants to be traded . Sometimes in similar situations the team and player will agree to a new contract befofre the trade is completed. Almost always the case if the compensation is significant. Hard to say in this case as we dont really know how much the Colts value him.

May I ask why everyone has the same picture next to their names?

Source??

I do not want to trade a away a first and or second.

I think our FO realizes that's too much... That's just crazy. The Cowboys couldn't honestly think that we would give them a first for a disgruntled, injury plagued CB?

Source??

I do not want to trade a away a first and or second.

Dan Graham, a Colts insider on Twitter... not the most reliable sounding but he's normally right. I'm sure we'd not be stupid enough to give up a first.

WHAT? It's the final year of his contract, and they think we would give them a first? That's a top ten pick! Heck, a second or third is too high! A fourth at the highest.

Which is why this isn't a done deal it looks right now the asking price is just too high

About his contract situation, he's only due to get $1 million this year, so more than likely we'd resign him to a longer deal. He won't play for $1 mil.

Which is why this isn't a done deal it looks right now the asking price is just too high

I question that they even asked for a first rounder.

The cowboys were losing that game, and he just lets him walk in for a score, before that td they were down 2 tds with 8 mins left. You never know, the runner could fumble, or they could throw a pick on the ensuing play. If we came back from 21 points down with 4 mins left before i have no doubt a team could come back from 14 points with 8 mins left. He just gave up

About his contract situation, he's only due to get $1 million this year, so more than likely we'd resign him to a longer deal. He won't play for $1 mil.

I question that they even asked for a first rounder.

Nothing wrong with asking for it worst that can happen is the other party says no. You have to start high or you can't talk down my guess is the cowboys are really hoping they can talk us out of a second. Personally I think that is still too high

I'm not understanding how Dallas is tryna Hustle us out of a 1st-3rd Round Pick for a Player who doesnt even want to Play for them. What sense does that make? Don't they realize that if they don't give him up, we'll probably just take him in Free Agency this Year? Cause he's NOT gonna sign a Tag or Re-Sign with Dallas. So they might as well give him to Us for a 4th-7th Pick & move on with their Lives

The only thing that scares me is that the Cowboys say that they are not interested in trading Jenkins, which means they won't give him up for cheap.

Like I said before, it would be a great addition, but the Colts should not give up that much for him.