Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seeing Peyton throw

Peyton and Eli fan

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll get your chance on Monday - Broncos OTA will start on Monday and open to the media.

Champ Bailey on Manning-

“What I saw today, he’s going to give us some good work. Man, we might not see a quarterback like that all year, so that’s something that’s going to get us prepared for games,” Bailey said. “This was definitely one of the most intense first days of OTAs I’ve had in a while. It was good. I love to see those guys running hard as they have been, and I know they’ll be ready to go.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/21/bailey-noticing-improvement-broncos-receivers/13524/

I'm going off he wasn't worth the money because of his arm.

One excuse down the drain.

Is that Irsay's reasoning or something we assume on the boards. You do have point against those who thought that. It might have been that they just wanted Luck to start his career the right way, starting week1. They did say it was a combination of issues.

Champ Bailey on Manning-

“What I saw today, he’s going to give us some good work. Man, we might not see a quarterback like that all year, so that’s something that’s going to get us prepared for games,” Bailey said. “This was definitely one of the most intense first days of OTAs I’ve had in a while. It was good. I love to see those guys running hard as they have been, and I know they’ll be ready to go.”

http://blogs.denverp...eceivers/13524/

I've said it before & I'll say it again. No one is doubting Peyton's work ethic. The question is: How well will #18 respond to hits & punishment during the regular season. His tremendous work ethic is not news IMO.

I'm going off he wasn't worth the money because of his arm.

One excuse down the drain.

I have had zero question from the day the talk of letting him walk. I knew his arm would be fine, better than it has been was what i have been saying. Oh well, time to go through some growing pains with a young team. I hope its worth it, I will be watching all of the broncos games this year as well as colts games, i guess i just like to torture myself..

Is that Irsay's reasoning or something we assume on the boards. You do have point against those who thought that. It might have been that they just wanted Luck to start his career the right way, starting week1. They did say it was a combination of issues.

Irsay did say at one point Peyton needs to restructure,

I was all for keeping Peyton...it likely ment some others had to go and we would have had to rebuild around him or without him. That was Irsay's decision. I very much disliked how he kept talking about Peyton is staying and then he cuts him and I would have loved to have Peyton for however long he had because I so thoroughly enjoyed how he played the game...class, heart, intelligence, and winning. He brought that to the game every sunday and we see all over the league how difficult it is to replicate that. Time will only tell if we can. I hope and pray we do. No doubt in my mind he would be back and play at a high level....yet to see but little doubt left now. Would have been interesting to see if we kept him and traded the pick what we could have ended up with. I still think we could have rebuilt for the future and still won with Manning while doing it. This one pick could have translated into several first rounders that could have given us youth and a future qb to replace Manning.

The what ifs......lol....looking at what the Redskins gave up (3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder) if we got that from the Browns we could have had Richardson in the backfield to take off some of the load from Manning like Edge did....or Blackmon to pair with Reggie. We would have had the 22nd too so that could have been Decastro to play G for us or Reiff at T. At 34 we could have taken Upshaw to likely replace Freeney who would have to be cut for cap reasons. We still could have got Fleener with Browns second round pick very likely to pair with Tamme who we would likely brought back or got Stephan Hill if we didn't take Blackmon. In the third round there we could have went with just about anyone but likely the whole draft for us would have changed. We could have got a corner or OL or DT I mean everything changes up. We still could have had Clevelands first rounder and ours next year to look at a future qb to replace Manning. It would have been different thats for sure....I would have went this route. Would it have been better...don't know in the long run but I just have a hard time letting PM leave. Anyways...we can all play the what if game. We have Luck and we just have to make the best of the future with him. Perhaps it will be a win win for Luck and Manning.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. No one is doubting Peyton's work ethic. The question is: How well will #18 respond to hits & punishment during the regular season. His tremendous work ethic is not news IMO.

Your so right my Freind ,to this point his work ethic unparalled,except maybe by the late great Walter Payton,and i know you will see where im coming from,Walters was more of a physical nature,but still the same dedication.And you are right again ,how well will he take a hit?As with any team it is of the utmost importance of protection,that will be a big key also

Your so right my Freind ,to this point his work ethic unparalled,except maybe by the late great Walter Payton,and i know you will see where im coming from,Walters was more of a physical nature,but still the same dedication.And you are right again ,how well will he take a hit?As with any team it is of the utmost importance of protection,that will be a big key also

Excellent point Jay!!! People tend to forget the greatness of "Sweetness" as a RB in Chicago especially in 1985 under Coach Mike Ditka. That NFL squad was a juggernaut that year & #34 was exceptional in his commitment to excellence.

it was my mistake, I failed to realize what section I was in, I apologize Peyton and Eli Fan, but as for being over the release, their wasnt much to get over for me, was sad to see him go but I didnt take it as hard as most others did

I don't think you should feel you have to apologize (whether in the wrong section or not). I don't think you have an agenda here, and I don't think you're "trying to make [others] uncomfortable". There's nothing wrong with continuing to show you support for your new QB you love. People practically saying you're trying guilt tripping them into thinking they're not true Colts fan because they still really love Peyton is putting words in your mouth and it's not fair to you as a considerate, dedicated member of this forum. I just think it's upsetting I can't say, "It'd be nice to hear he's throwing well, but I hope Luck throws 10 times better." Without having a host of people thinking I'm just trying to destroy all traces that P-money was ever our latest and greatest QB before Luck.

Lastly, My apologies to everyone for getting a bit off topic, I just felt it was worth noting. And I believe as Mac even admitted himself, there is clearly discomfort on both sides of the issue. Let's show some consideration to both sides, okay?

Anyone see Heath Evans on NFLN say Peyton is a below average player if he doesn't have a line? Who is Heath Evans? I didn't even know he was on the Saints in '09.

apparently that a** clown hasnt noticed the guys we've trotted out as our starting o-line over the past 5-6yrs...perhaps he meant to say that Peyton makes below average linemen look like NFL starters?

I don't think you should feel you have to apologize (whether in the wrong section or not). I don't think you have an agenda here, and I don't think you're "trying to make [others] uncomfortable". There's nothing wrong with continuing to show you support for your new QB you love. People practically saying you're trying guilt tripping them into thinking they're not true Colts fan because they still really love Peyton is putting words in your mouth and it's not fair to you as a considerate, dedicated member of this forum. I just think it's upsetting I can't say, "It'd be nice to hear he's throwing well, but I hope Luck throws 10 times better." Without having a host of people thinking I'm just trying to destroy all traces that P-money was ever our latest and greatest QB before Luck.

Lastly, My apologies to everyone for getting a bit off topic, I just felt it was worth noting. And I believe as Mac even admitted himself, there is clearly discomfort on both sides of the issue. Let's show some consideration to both sides, okay?

I agree!

Anyone see Heath Evans on NFLN say Peyton is a below average player if he doesn't have a line? Who is Heath Evans? I didn't even know he was on the Saints in '09.

Most quarterbacks are below their avg if they get pressured. I know Drew Brees and Tom Brady look a lot like Kyle Orton and others when they have 300lb lineman hanging on them and at their feet. No qb looks BETTER when they have someone knocking the snot out of them. That is the point of the NFL is to get after them and knock them off their spot when they take their drop. To say Peyton is different would be stupid but also to imply he is different from any of those others is stupid as well. Peyton is so great at getting rid of the ball he rarely feels the rush. He certainly isn't nervous in the pocket with the rush bearing down like say Blaine Gabbert. The guy has great pocket presence and an unrivaled clock in his head to get rid of it.

I don't see that as a problem. The fusion surgery means he has a plate fusing the two vertebra meaning they are twice as strong. Sure he could get hurt some how but there is even less chance he has a problem with his neck. I agree that Denvers offensive line is anything but all pro. He doesn't have the Patriots or Saints OL in front of him but then again he never holds onto the ball too long as he usually knows where he is going with it before the play snaps. The real question was would his arm strengthen back up after the surgery...and it did. This actually could be his first pain free season in half a decade...imagine a HEALTHY Peyton. That is what we could see. His brain, work ethic, and quick release should keep him healthy. He got by with a couple of terrible offensive line years with us and these guys he has are certainly no worse than them.

His biggest hurdle will be getting the timing and audibles down with his team. Time is what will slow Peyton down this year and familiarity. He really has no one that he has that connection like Reggie or Marvin or even Collie or Garcon or Clark. Running the new offense and getting into a sync with his new crew will be his biggest hurdle. I don't think they will run away with the west because of that. With the hardest schedule in the NFL and those reasons alone I think 9-7 is likely and if they get to 10-6 would be an accomplishment. Year 2 is when I would expect them to be a favorite to be playing for a Super Bowl.

I was all for keeping Peyton...it likely ment some others had to go and we would have had to rebuild around him or without him. That was Irsay's decision. I very much disliked how he kept talking about Peyton is staying and then he cuts him and I would have loved to have Peyton for however long he had because I so thoroughly enjoyed how he played the game...class, heart, intelligence, and winning. He brought that to the game every sunday and we see all over the league how difficult it is to replicate that. Time will only tell if we can. I hope and pray we do. No doubt in my mind he would be back and play at a high level....yet to see but little doubt left now. Would have been interesting to see if we kept him and traded the pick what we could have ended up with. I still think we could have rebuilt for the future and still won with Manning while doing it. This one pick could have translated into several first rounders that could have given us youth and a future qb to replace Manning.

The what ifs......lol....looking at what the Redskins gave up (3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder) if we got that from the Browns we could have had Richardson in the backfield to take off some of the load from Manning like Edge did....or Blackmon to pair with Reggie. We would have had the 22nd too so that could have been Decastro to play G for us or Reiff at T. At 34 we could have taken Upshaw to likely replace Freeney who would have to be cut for cap reasons. We still could have got Fleener with Browns second round pick very likely to pair with Tamme who we would likely brought back or got Stephan Hill if we didn't take Blackmon. In the third round there we could have went with just about anyone but likely the whole draft for us would have changed. We could have got a corner or OL or DT I mean everything changes up. We still could have had Clevelands first rounder and ours next year to look at a future qb to replace Manning. It would have been different thats for sure....I would have went this route. Would it have been better...don't know in the long run but I just have a hard time letting PM leave. Anyways...we can all play the what if game. We have Luck and we just have to make the best of the future with him. Perhaps it will be a win win for Luck and Manning.

I think we would have gone Morris Claiborne with the Browns' pick at No.4 and wr with No.22 or OL since DeCastro would have been too good to pass up there.

What we will miss with Peyton is his spontaneous wit and ability to command media presence. Luck may prove to be a bigger football geek than Peyton but I doubt the TV presence can be duplicated. There are few elite QBs who even have that presence. Luck will be himself and should be. He will allowed to be and we fans should let him define his own legacy.

truthfully..though...that's not the issue.

the issue is that his throiwng strength was not NFL calber after his surgery...

He doesn't get hit that much and getting hit may not even have caused his injury..

Lets face. it..Peyton Manning isnt going to get hit that much. he gets rid of the ball before that happens...

Unless he playes New Orleans....he's fine. Clearly ready to go...

But..as others have said....that's not the only reason the Colts fired him.

the $28,000,000 tab and the weight on the salary cap backed the Colts into a corner financially.

I'm just glad Manning will be able to play four or five more years...

I wanted him here too but lets comeback to this at a later time. It's possible either decision is correct.

Joker..that is a very good point...

It could easlily turnout that the Colts madr a mistake in firing Peyton

..but made the correct move in acquiring Andrw Luck...

Just because Manning leads the Broncos to the playoffs NOW

..does not mean that Indy getting Luck and making future playoff runs was an error...

nfl

Peyton Manning directs first Broncos practice at Denver OTA

Posted: 05/21/2012 12:18:54 PM MDT

Updated: 05/22/2012 01:24:21 AM MDT

By Adrian Dater

The Denver Post

Under the gaze of the legendary John Elway and upwards of 60 media members, Peyton Manning completed his first day of minicamp with the Denver Broncos without a hitch. Throwing footballs with his characteristic accuracy, Manning impressed everyone with his day at Dove Valley — most important, perhaps, himself.

"It felt good to be out there. I haven't really been out there like this for a year and a half. It's a day I've been waiting on for a long time," Manning said. "I've always believed you develop your timing for the passing game in the offseason. You can't just show up in September and expect to be on the same page. Offseason workouts, it's a great time to make an impression on the coaches. Coaches are always evaluating,

so there are a lot of benefits from this work."

Manning's arm looked strong, and he was very vocal at times on the field with teammates in drills.

"I thought the tempo of the practice was excellent; guys flying around, fast-moving practice, upbeat," Manning said. "That's the way that I like to work, and it was good to see that from everybody today."

Asked how he's progressing physically, from the neck injury that sidelined him all of last season with the Indianapolis Colts, Manning said: "It's hard to say. I try to get better every day. That's my goal. I really need to use this time. I do think there's a difference when you are on the field, in helmets, going up against the defense. Up until now we haven't been able to go against a defense, so this will be great work for me. This was one step, and there are different phases; training camp will be your next phase, putting on shoulder pads, then preseason and regular season. I'm just taking it one day at a time, but I was excited for this day to get here."

Asked if wearing his new orange and blue uniform felt strange, Manning said: "No, I'm kind of past that part of it. I've been here enough time, and worked with the same guys enough now not to feel (out of place)."

Asked if he considered the offensive scheme of coach John Fox a "radical" departure from that of the Colts, he said: "Uh, yeah. There's no question it's different. You've got different terminology and different players. The more repetitions you get, the better.

I do feel that on-the-field reps are the best reps. You can do your classroom work, which is important and you have to study and take your notes, but there's nothing quite like going out on the field and executing the play, going against fast, defensive players."

Asked how he thought Manning looked, Fox said: "He's getting better every day. His progress has been outstanding. We're excited where he is. I think he's pretty good right now, and we think he'll get better. He definitely raises all boats, that's for sure. That's not just with the young players, but with the veterans."

Manning, 36, said it's too early for people to start wondering if he has a favorite receiver or two already.

"Coaches are the ones who will make (roster) decisions. I have plenty on my plate as far as kind of what I want to get accomplished each practice," he said. "Certainly, you do try to get a feel for certain guys, and not everybody is the same. (Brandon) Stokley runs his slot option routes just a little bit different than (Eric) Decker does, and that's what this work is all about - just who's in there, knowing where to throw it. I mean, Demarius Thomas gives you more flexibility of where you can put the call because of his size. That's where these repetitions really pay off and you get a real feel for each receiver."

Irsay did say at one point Peyton needs to restructure,

He did but I doubt that was the only reason. Back then you have to remember there was a huge risk involved. I think Irsay saw a opportunity to rebuild or whatever they want to call it, instead of waiting for a franchise QB to come around after Manning would retire.

IMO he didn't want to Colts to become what Denver used to be, a franchise jumping from QB to QB for a decade after Elways retirement.

I don't see that as a problem. The fusion surgery means he has a plate fusing the two vertebra meaning they are twice as strong. Sure he could get hurt some how but there is even less chance he has a problem with his neck. I agree that Denvers offensive line is anything but all pro. He doesn't have the Patriots or Saints OL in front of him but then again he never holds onto the ball too long as he usually knows where he is going with it before the play snaps. The real question was would his arm strengthen back up after the surgery...and it did. This actually could be his first pain free season in half a decade...imagine a HEALTHY Peyton. That is what we could see. His brain, work ethic, and quick release should keep him healthy. He got by with a couple of terrible offensive line years with us and these guys he has are certainly no worse than them.

His biggest hurdle will be getting the timing and audibles down with his team. Time is what will slow Peyton down this year and familiarity. He really has no one that he has that connection like Reggie or Marvin or even Collie or Garcon or Clark. Running the new offense and getting into a sync with his new crew will be his biggest hurdle. I don't think they will run away with the west because of that. With the hardest schedule in the NFL and those reasons alone I think 9-7 is likely and if they get to 10-6 would be an accomplishment. Year 2 is when I would expect them to be a favorite to be playing for a Super Bowl.

DG,

You make a number of solid, relevant points. Peyton's pre and post snap analysis mastery that's why I refer to him as Yoda, his lightning quick release of the ball, a successful neck fusion surgery, and a desire to get rhythm down with his o-line, WR's, & TE's. Look, I a realist here. The vast majority of fans out there from his days in INDY seem to be under the false delusion that Yoda will hit the ground running without any glitches or complications...a distorted perspective from my vantage point.

Do I want #18 to succeed? Yes of course I do. Will it happen immediately? No, but I always remember what former HC of the Packers and Seahawks, Mike Holmgren, always said "when you've been out of the game awhile, it's not only rust that needs to knocked off but the ability to take sustained hits over time late in the season." Yes, part of that problem can be negated by rhythm and timing with receivers, a o-line working in unison, superb decision making, & a quick release. People gloss over a year & a half off the field for Yoda like it's nothing, which I find incredibly disturbing and ironically funny.

OTA/training camp speed is a heck of a lot different than regular season/Playoffs speed when games really matter. Real bullets in the NFL "baptism by fire" gun actually matter okay. It's not a forgone conclusion that #18 will hit the ground running people. Yes, I could be proven wrong and I serious hope I am grossly mistaken here, but what if I'm not? At some point this season Yoda will face some adversity...Will he climb over that wall smoothly? Time will only tell I guess. I'm pullin' for Ya Peyton!!! I really am.

I'll agree with that. I am a Peyton fan and he is the Greatest Colt quarterback of all time to this point. But also I want to add that making a decision based on emotion especially when it involves 28 million dollars is truely not a trait I want in my team owner.

I'll agree with that. I am a Peyton fan and he is the Greatest Colt quarterback of all time to this point. But also I want to add that making a decision based on emotion especially when it involves 28 million dollars is truely not a trait I want in my team owner.

Well said Gavin. Well said. We had to revamp our whole defense & secondary & using Peyton's signing bonus money as the means to pull off this squad overhaul. Loyalty is admirable, but business is business. Plain & simple.

I'm gonna blow up my DVR recording DTV NFL pkg games this season.. Colts, Lions, Bears and now Broncos.. I am interested in how Petyon will be doing and I may throw in the occasional "Irsay, how could you" when I see him make an impossible play seem easy.. and I will enjoy every minute of the NFL this season..

Just this once, I don't think anyone would have minded. ;)

Just this once, I don't think anyone would have minded. ;)

*Not directly anyway. People have been crying for a more balanced team for years. You know how it is, fans want everything.

I would've been cool with the old system, it worked when we had the right coaching.