Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson 2 minute drive and after

twfish

With the end of the 2nd half looming the Colts really needed to get down the field to stay alive. Something seemed to click in Richardson and he improved quite a bit to help lead the Colts to a win.

He started out with a very sorry 3 completions on 12 attempts for 28 yards.

Then he sharpened up and went 7 completions on 12 targets for 101 yards.

I’m pretty critical of Richardson myself, he’s got a lot to prove before I can feel comfortable as our franchise QB. It’s been looking pretty bad this year outside from the start of the Steelers game and the beginning of this game looked bad but he definitely turned it up and showed that he can hit passes more consistently.

• Like 8

Shane protected him in most of the first half.  But AR isn’t a drop back passer yet.  He started to let him be himself as the game went on.  

Im pulling for this young man, and it may take a lot longer than some expected.  It took Josh Allen some time, and he played a lot more in college.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I like that despite his struggles he wasn't sulking and getting frustrated. He got in on the celebration after that Goodson TD and looked to be in good spirits. Reps, reps and more reps.

He was celebrating long before he got into the endzone.  He knew Nelson was in front

No way to sugarcoat what we saw today and I'm an AR fan but that was terrible..He has regressed IMO badly. That team we saw today wont win another game until December when it wont matter...I just dont know what to think about this team anymore. I'm starting to lose confidence in SS now because this offense falls in his lap and he is already well versed on the "My Bad" crap with no accountibility. How about start benching players or calling a spade a spade like Parcell's used to but this my bad crap every week doesn't cut it when he was brought in for his ability to bring along AR and run a great offense. Anybody that doesn't see a huge step back  with AR and this offense is blind. If we aren't quite sure, watch what happens the next 5 weeks against real teams...I pray I'm wrong but I'm afraid  it's gonna get ugly

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DavePSL said:

No way to sugarcoat what we saw today and I'm an AR fan but that was terrible..He has regressed IMO badly. That team we saw today wont win another game until December when it wont matter...I just dont know what to think about this team anymore. I'm starting to lose confidence in SS now because this offense falls in his lap and he is already well versed on the "My Bad" crap with no accountibility. How about start benching players or calling a spade a spade like Parcell's used to but this my bad crap every week doesn't cut it when he was brought in for his ability to bring along AR and run a great offense. Anybody that doesn't see a huge step back  with AR and this offense is blind. If we aren't quite sure, watch what happens the next 5 weeks against real teams...I pray I'm wrong but I'm afraid  it's gonna get ugly

I miss the aggressive laugh emoji

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

He missed the last 2 games. He is rusty and the only way he will get better is play more. I actually never threw anything at the TV when I saw his poor throws, lol.  I am giving him the full year. Going to be a lot of ups and downs so minds well sit back and let it play out. If this guy only improves like 10 to 20 percent, we will be wowed. He reaches the potential I think he can reach. We are talking about a player we have never seen before.  Can u imagine if he becomes even a 60% passer with those legs? Good luck defending him.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, twfish said:

With the end of the 2nd half looming the Colts really needed to get down the field to stay alive. Something seemed to click in Richardson and he improved quite a bit to help lead the Colts to a win.

I’m pretty critical of Richardson myself, he’s got a lot to prove before I can feel comfortable as our franchise QB. It’s been looking pretty bad this year outside from the start of the Steelers game and the beginning of this game looked bad but he definitely turned it up and showed that he can hit passes more consistently.

Trying to mollycoddle a gifted athlete "in order to protect him" is a recipe for disaster. That's why people think AR has regressed. That may also be said about our entire defensive group. In football, you are either winning or learning. Losing is not an option.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Trying to mollycoddle a gifted athlete "in order to protect him" is a recipe for disaster. That's why people think AR has regressed. That may also be said about our entire defensive group. In football, you are either winning or learning. Losing is not an option.

Actually losing is an option.   It happens to half the teams in the league every week

42 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

If you would have just watched the second half you likely wouldn’t have had this opinion. Which is the whole point of this post.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavePSL said:

As much as I hope I am wrong, I totally agree and have said this since day 1. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I have seen regression except in his running ability. And anyone that knows the NFL knows that a run first QB can not succeed long term, injuries and smart D Coordinators take care of run first QBS in the NFL. It's cool and exciting to see him take off, but the experienced watcher knows it won't last unless he develops a true passing game. There is very little evidence of that this year with 3 TDs and 6 INTs. His attitude seem outstanding and I still hope I am wrong, but even Flacco ran this offense noticeably better and I've never been a Flacco fan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Yeah, on that drive he made two really nice throws: one Pierce dropped, but he came back and dropped the ball nicely in the hole in the zone coverage on the one to Pittman.  I agree with you that he was much more on target in the 2nd half.  Hopefully, its an indication that maybe he figured some things out.  

Its interesting that a lot of his accuracy issues IMO shows up on throws that are in the short, intermediate range (think about the miss to AD Mitchell on the 1st drive: he was open and that should have a 1st down conversion on that third down) He seems to do better with being accurate on the stuff that pushes the ball downfield which is opposite than what you see with most other QBs.  

In limited time he has played both this year and last year, I definitely see the talent that made him an appealing prospect.   The things he struggles with on the field are things that can be fixed/improved/corrected with repetitions and practice.  He just has to stay on the field (both in games and in practice) so he can get work on it which means they really have to take out the Cam Newton run up the middle, play battering ram stuff out because that will eventually get him injured again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twfish said:

If you would have just watched the second half you likely wouldn’t have had this opinion. Which is the whole point of this post.

Just because he went from absolutely terrible in the first half to just below average in the second hald doesn't change my opinion and it's not just his accuracy. He let a CB (Ramsey) blitz him on back to back plays without making any adjustments and that's his read. Better believe we will get a big dose of that the next few weeks probably causing turnovers because AR isn't reading anything but his first read. He just throws it anyway instead of going through progressions and I felt he did a good job of that in the past. I cant explain it but he has definately regressed. His first game as a pro last year was wayyyy better than what he is showing now. You want to see natural progress from week to week and that is NOT what we are seeing. Not even close......Remember a few weeks ago when he asked the team to hang in there with him because he is going to play better . Hasn't come close to happening. BTW, SS is screwed because he can't even call easy throws for AR to get him going because he cant hit easy throws consistent enough to keep a drive going....Ughhhhh!

• Like 1

AR5 is still a rookie in terms of NFL experience and is coming off an injury that cost him to miss the past two games. I expected him to look rusty for a little at least the first QTR heading into today's game. The offense line didn't pass block as well as I wanted them to today, allowing the Dolphins to get a lot of pressure on AR5 throughout the game. How he was able to come out of the game without giving up a sack is beyond me but I'll take the win. It wasn't a pretty performance by any means but there were small flashes mixed in the messy performance to give me hope for the future of AR5.

• Like 2

The most encouraging thing for me about his second half throws is they were the intermediate throws he’s been struggling on.  I think once they let him run a little and move around it made him stop thinking so much and just play and that’s when players do their best.  Hopefully the Colts notice and let him do that because that’s where he’s comfortable.  He’s not comfortable being a drop back passer like Manning was.  Yes there is a risk of injury with letting him move around but that’s the player the Colts drafted.  You can’t take away what makes him special because you are scared he’s going to get hurt.  You have to teach him to protect himself and we saw signs of that too, the slides and when he did get hit rotating his body so he landed more on his back than his shoulder.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavePSL said:

Just because he went from absolutely terrible in the first half to just below average in the second hald doesn't change my opinion and it's not just his accuracy. He let a CB (Ramsey) blitz him on back to back plays without making any adjustments and that's his read. Better believe we will get a big dose of that the next few weeks probably causing turnovers because AR isn't reading anything but his first read. He just throws it anyway instead of going through progressions and I felt he did a good job of that in the past. I cant explain it but he has definately regressed. His first game as a pro last year was wayyyy better than what he is showing now. You want to see natural progress from week to week and that is NOT what we are seeing. Not even close......Remember a few weeks ago when he asked the team to hang in there with him because he is going to play better . Hasn't come close to happening. BTW, SS is screwed because he can't even call easy throws for AR to get him going because he cant hit easy throws consistent enough to keep a drive going....Ughhhhh!

In his defense, he is still very inexperienced college & pro. So he does have that going for him AND play calling hasn't exactly put him in the easier position to succeed. 

However, green as he may be, he's looking like the worst QB in the league. 

Hopefully, for colt fans he'll develop because colts are not moving on from him anytime before his rookie contract is up. 

In fact, if he doesn't develop, that's a good excuse for colts the next few years. 

Bear fans lucked out. They were able to move on from Justin Fields having the #1 pick in a draft class that included a  Caleb Williams...... doubt colt fans will be that lucky if he doesn't develop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR accounted for 185 yards of offense, nothing special but above average. 185 yards total yards = passing and running. He had no Turnovers, that is the key. I will take a game manager that can win over someone that throws for 250 yards and loses, that is just me.

He did have a turnover.  The fumble.  Not blasting Richardson for today.  I saw progress in major ways in the second half just keeping the facts straight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The most encouraging thing for me about his second half throws is they were the intermediate throws he’s been struggling on.  I think once they let him run a little and move around it made him stop thinking so much and just play and that’s when players do their best.  Hopefully the Colts notice and let him do that because that’s where he’s comfortable.  He’s not comfortable being a drop back passer like Manning was.  Yes there is a risk of injury with letting him move around but that’s the player the Colts drafted.  You can’t take away what makes him special because you are scared he’s going to get hurt.  You have to teach him to protect himself and we saw signs of that too, the slides and when he did get hit rotating his body so he landed more on his back than his shoulder.  

He seems to get much more comfortable after a few runs. I hope the coaches take note of that. 

During post-game AR started on that tired crap boasting about his unique skillset (“I’m one of one”). He also said he heard the first half booing while on offense but didn’t know who was being booed. 

Obviously most qb’s aren’t Andrew Luck-intelligent and it probably isn’t necessary. Luckily for the Colts.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

During post-game AR started on that tired crap boasting about his unique skillset (“I’m one of one”). He also said he heard the first half booing while on offense but didn’t know who was being booed. 

Obviously most qb’s aren’t Andrew Luck-intelligent and it probably isn’t necessary. Luckily for the Colts.

Wellll he kinda is one of one…. We’ve never seen anything like him in the league…. We’re just banking on his development as a passer….. the announcer made a statement that really opened my eyes a bit more…. He was speaking about fiascos influence and mentorship… Flacco told him “ he doesn’t even know what questions to ask yet, that only comes with experience”…..  dude is Gonna tear the league up once it clicks 

To be honest, AR will develop more quickly as the mobile QB he is. It's a part of his rhythm. To force him to be a pocket passer, would be basically starting from scratch. It's been tried before with other mobile QBs with negative results. If he gets dinged up in the process, we have a very good backup in Flacco.

RELEASE THE BEAST! 😁

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They finally started letting him be AR rather than trying to make him Peyton Manning.  Richardson is not a drop back passer right now.  He’s at his best when he’s moving around and him running is a threat.  They need to be smart with it but you have to let him move around.

He looked like Lamar yesterday at times. 

49 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

The Colts won, that is all that matters.  

Yep. Scoreboard!

1 hour ago, jemack said:

To be honest, AR will develop more quickly as the mobile QB he is. It's a part of his rhythm. To force him to be a pocket passer, would be basically starting from scratch. It's been tried before with other mobile QBs with negative results. If he gets dinged up in the process, we have a very good backup in Flacco.

RELEASE THE BEAST! 😁

I don't disagree, I would probably sit him down and force him to watch Marvin Harrison or T.Y Hilton film though. Those guy's just always knew how to avoid the big hits for the most part. Once you've crossed the first down line it doesn't really matter if you got 2 yards past or 8 yards past the next play is going to be a 1st and 10 (unless its in the red zone). Take the 2 yards and get out of bounds. Don't take the unnecessary hits is what he needs to realize IMHO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Josh Allen still looks awful in a lot of games, in my opinion.  One week he will look like an MVP and the next he looks horrible...so to me at least, Allen is also still a work in progress

So does Mahomes. It’s the nature of the game. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, azcolt said:

If I were the lowest rated QB in the NFL I dont think I'd be talking about being "one of one".... You can look it up, since 2000 there have been 1,107 QBs in the NFL with at lest 100 snaps... Richardson ranks 1,097 with a 46.3% completion percentage.    Maybe he will end up being a good QB  one day...but right now he is historically bad.

• Like 2

Hey a win is a win but someday the excuses are going to run out for AR. “He’s a rookie”….” He doesn’t have JT”…..”Steichen isn’t using him right” If Flacco was in there we would have won by two scores or more against that woeful dolphins team.  I hope something clicks for AR and he gets better…I really do but man….some of those throws were so bad. He looks like a rb trying to play qb.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Hey a win is a win but someday the excuses are going to run out for AR. “He’s a rookie”….” He doesn’t have JT”…..”Steichen isn’t using him right” If Flacco was in there we would have won by two scores or more against that woeful dolphins team.  I hope something clicks for AR and he gets better…I really do but man….some of those throws were so bad. He looks like a rb trying to play qb.

We are not going to know what we have until after next season. Not 5 games 

• Like 1