Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not bad for a bunch of C- players!

NewColtsFan

Bradley did blitz more than usual today, but there was a really odd stretch in the 3rd quarter where he just… stopped for a prolonged stretch. Unexpectedly stopped. It was working and we were having success with it and then… poof. The next play they ran one was the Fields TD scramble, and that one may have gotten home had Latu not rushed inside and swung the gate wide open. 

This is one of the main things I’m gonna pay attention to when I watch the all 22 film this week because it felt like a looooong stretch where we just quit blitzing, and I’m perplexed as to why. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

This is one of the main things I’m gonna pay attention to when I watch the all 22 film this week because it felt like a looooong stretch where we just quit blitzing, and I’m perplexed as to why. 

Because the data said to... 

I agree with you, btw. For a team that wants to take away the big play, we sure can't do it when a big play is exactly what the opposing offense needs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bradley’s blitz rate has been up all season compared to last year. It did seem like he backed off on it during the 2nd half. I also thought the effort was great. Too bad Land had that sack taken away on a brutal call. Things evened out on the ridiculous call on the Steelers DB when Mitchell gave the alligator arms attempt. Considering some of the guys they were dressing on defense it was a good job. I hope Paye and Moore are back. Even with their struggles, Jags are a better offense than the Bears and Steelers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Damn proud of the team.  

The players and Steichen gave tremendous effort.  Even Bradley blitzed far more than normal.  Very effective.  

Fans couldn’t ask for more.  

Spot on...the NFL is built in parody. A win is a win despite who or how you play . I'm going to enjoy this win...others will complain. ( The ones complaining, are the ones that predicted the Colts would lose)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Damn proud of the team.  

The players and Steichen gave tremendous effort.  Even Bradley blitzed far more than normal.  Very effective.  

Ballard has built depth and still has 25 mil in cap space...hard for average fans to grasp 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This was a good day for Balllard. With as many defensive injures there were this was a really good game. Gus had his players ready to play. The strength of the team is the trenches and depth there has paid off. Womack is also looking very good.

Nick Cross too…

We better have beat Bustin Fields. He passed for 300 yards on us. Let’s not live in that make believe world about this team. We barely won today. We can ride that “A win is a win” today. Team 2 weeks in a row almost blow a lead 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Damn proud of the team.  

Absolutely! What a hurdle all those injuries were/are. OVERCAME today.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

As sure as calling us playing soft zone defense to end the game. C plus players vs C- minus players. stealers missing 4 out of 5 offensive lineman and Justin Fields at QB… Yay we beat such world beat barely by 3 points…

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This was a good day for Balllard. With as many defensive injures there were this was a really good game. Gus had his players ready to play. The strength of the team is the trenches and depth there has paid off. Womack is also looking very good.

Ballard makes Big Bucks, win,lose, or draw. Every day is a good day for him. Lol

More importantly, it was a Good Day for Colt Fans......something that you can't say every week. A Win and against the Steelers, that's actually more of a great day than good for Colt fans. 

9 hours ago, a06cc said:

We better have beat Bustin Fields. He passed for 300 yards on us. Let’s not live in that make believe world about this team. We barely won today. We can ride that “A win is a win” today. Team 2 weeks in a row almost blow a lead 

Hello, did you watch the game.       The Steelers had to pass to catch up. geez, learn something before you comment. 

8 hours ago, a06cc said:

As sure as calling us playing soft zone defense to end the game. C plus players vs C- minus players. stealers missing 4 out of 5 offensive lineman and Justin Fields at QB… Yay we beat such world beat barely by 3 points…

troll GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This may not be a popular take for some of the Ballard bashers on here. But had we not gone ultra conservative and taken our foot off the gas in the second half we probably would have won the game by approximately a 45-17 score. The steelers are not good and we let them back into the game. We were playing short handed(with a roster some on here say really sucks anyways) and just dominated the supposed big bad steelers. Go Colts!

The very first few plays on defense I could tell the Colts were out for blood. It looked like all their momma’s got slapped before the game and were playing *. Loved it! Somewhere in the late third quarter it started to slow down. But glad they got the win!

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

So maybe Ballard isn’t the bumbling fool some here like to pretend he is?

Never a bumbler, IMO.  He's a high floor GM.  It is interesting that the D has played its best two games with Defo on the bench, and now Moore and Paye.  That's a lot of capital that seemingly had little impact when absent.  Make that what you will.

Good win.  Coming out of the gate strong and aggressive won the game.  Getting outscored 24-7 is disappointing for such a great start.

• Like 1

Colts D looked fast - was great to see 

Franklin (and Speed) finally looked good 

Womack did great....so did Lammons

Jones has a few moments here and there, but is definitely looking better every game

Odeyingbo looked good too 

I'm glad to see more blitzes....FINALLY 

Latu has gotta learn contain 

Let's hope we can keep this momentum up and keep this D playing like this all year 

• Like 1

Maybe you should write to the Commissioner's office and ask them to put an asterisk next to the Colts win record in the event there is a tie in end of season draft order or playoff seedings? I am sure they are open to improving the league with mindful input from the observers.

11 hours ago, a06cc said:

11 hours ago, a06cc said:

Shane was coaching to lose and we got lucky with that high snap/fumble at the end of the game. 

From the first snap, it looked like the defense was out to prove a point. They played hard today.

This felt like the first time in a long time being near the ball when our defense was on the field was a dangerous place to be. I love it and hope this attitude sticks. 

• Like 1

I thought the D looked great in the first half.  Not sure if it was scheme, or what, but letting the Steelers back in the game i. the 2nd half was a little disappointing.   That said, I was very happy for the win, and when it counted most, the D held up at the very end.  Go Colts!!

15 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I thought the D looked great in the first half.  Not sure if it was scheme, or what, but letting the Steelers back in the game i. the 2nd half was a little disappointing.   That said, I was very happy for the win, and when it counted most, the D held up at the very end.  Go Colts!!

The same C- players were used differently in the second half. Tells me Gus Bradley's soft conservative approach took our D's foot off the pedal. They were really bothering Fields with the boot leg blitzes because his passing is limited if he has to stay in the pocket.

• Like 2

For the first 20 minutes, the defense look like the 85 Bears. So dominant and so unrelenting disappointed how the fourth quarter went when the Bears just marched up and down the field. That missed field goal could’ve been a factor but our defense proved steady enough