Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson TD to Pierce

CR91

• CR91 changed the title to Richardson TD to Pierce
13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

This throw is absolutely insane. Falling backwards, can't step into the pass, on his back foot and still launches 60 yards in the air with perfect accuracy. This is why you live with the inaccuracies because of ridiculous throws like this. 

His throwing under pressure on madden should be way higher lol

• Like 1

We should throw deep 8-12 times a game, even if you only hit 1/3 of them so what, 4 completions in 12 attempts of over 50 yards, that's a lot of offense. And it would open up the run game. We only threw deep, what 3 or 4 times? Need more than that.

• Like 1

I wanted to see this live so bad. I picked today’s game to ensure I would see AR this season, as the other options for my schedule were late in the season and what we did last year- didn’t want to chance it again. I wanted to feel the energy of a deep bomb, and even called for Pierce to be the recipient of it to several friends through text. Was not disappointed in the least. We have a deep passing game again. Adding Downs into the mix, establishing a better run game, and gettin AD involved will put this offense together over the next month or two. I’m going to be patient and enjoy this team week by week. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

We should throw deep 8-12 times a game, even if you only hit 1/3 of them so what, 4 completions in 12 attempts of over 50 yards, that's a lot of offense. And it would open up the run game. We only threw deep, what 3 or 4 times? Need more than that.

yeah. And I think working to get the run game established will open it up more. We don’t have to force it early and often, especially if they are working… We do need to develop AR into a complete passer, and that has a lot of work to be done. 

I agree with that, Richardson needs time and lots of PRACTICE. Considering how young and inexperienced he is he looks pretty good, a lot better than Justin Fields, and that multitude of other high first round draft picks at the qb position these past 8-10 years. Ballard hit it with the pick.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

yeah. And I think working to get the run game established will open it up more. We don’t have to force it early and often, especially if they are working… We do need to develop AR into a complete passer, and that has a lot of work to be done. 

Stop throwing to Pittman when half of the defense is around him

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Stop throwing to Pittman when half of the defense is around him

I can imagine that will be seen by #5's own eyeballs on review. Trust the process. He's learning. Redshirt Rookie is what they announced on postgame radio, and it's realistic. He needs snaps... Today was good for him. I know he's more disappointed with missing AD for a touchdown than any of us on this forum are right now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

I agree with that, Richardson needs time and lots of PRACTICE. Considering how young and inexperienced he is he looks pretty good, a lot better than Justin Fields, and that multitude of other high first round draft picks at the qb position these past 8-10 years. Ballard hit it with the pick.

He just flashed some big time playmaking ability. I so wanted us to get another stop just to put the ball in his hands for a game winning drive opportunity. He might have failed, but that's as good of experience as he's going to ever get. It'll take time. There are obvious components to work on. There are obvious strengths to keep highlighting and leaning on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s easy to see why the Colts like him.  If he can stay healthy and improve his accuracy he could be very special.  He’s not being a wreck less about running like last year at times.  I have flashbacks to the first game of the season where he just sacrificed his body over and over until it gave at the end of the game.  

I’ve looked at all the replays.   Best as I can tell,  AR throws it from his own 32, and the pass would’ve landed at the goal line had Pierce not caught it…. 

There just aren’t many quarterbacks walking this earth who can throw a pass 68 yards in the air as a perfect strike in the middle of an actual game.   In practice with no pressure?   Sure.    But under pressure? Very very few. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I estimate him throwing from the Colts’ 32 yard line to the Texans’ 2 yard line.  That would be 66 yards.

According to the below video by Next Gen Stats, 66 yards would be the 2nd longest completed pass (air distance) since 2016.  Baker Mayfield completed one that traveled 66.4 yards.

The previous #2 was Russell Wilson - 64.4 yards.  So even if AR’s pass was 65 yards, it would still be the 2nd longest.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/top-25-air-distance-throws-of-the-ngs-era

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s easy to see why the Colts like him.  If he can stay healthy and improve his accuracy he could be very special.  He’s not being a wreck less about running like last year at times.  I have flashbacks to the first game of the season where he just sacrificed his body over and over until it gave at the end of the game.  

If u watch this game and the highlights. There is no one like him in the league. He improves his accuracy and I bleeive he will go down as one of the greatest. He had that much talent. If u were to build a qb, he is what u woule come up with. It's mind boggling the talent this kid has. How u going to stop this kid?? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve looked at all the replays.   Best as I can tell,  AR throws it from his own 32, and the pass would’ve landed at the goal line had Pierce not caught it…. 

There just aren’t many quarterbacks walking this earth who can throw a pass 68 yards in the air as a perfect strike in the middle of an actual game.   In practice with no pressure?   Sure.    But under pressure? Very very few. 

Epic throw. His arm reminds me of Elway, who I consider to have the greatest NFL arm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I estimate him throwing from the Colts’ 32 yard line to the Texans’ 2 yard line.  That would be 66 yards.

According to the below video by Next Gen Stats, 66 yards would be the 2nd longest completed pass (air distance) since 2016.  Baker Mayfield completed one that traveled 66.4 yards.

The previous #2 was Russell Wilson - 64.4 yards.  So even if AR’s pass was 65 yards, it would still be the 2nd longest.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/top-25-air-distance-throws-of-the-ngs-era

One other thing is that I have to remember my Pythagoras.  It wasn’t a straight line 66 yards.  He threw it roughly 5 yards lateral.  I’m sure Next Gen Stats takes this into account.

Dusting off my old geometry textbook, that would make it 66.2 yards in the air.  Still not enough to take #1 from Baker, but pretty amazing nonetheless….especially considering he was still a lot on his back foot.

In small sample size I've seen, especially at the combine, I think he may have better accuracy on long bombs than midrange passes. 

We all suspect the upside in AR's  game is Big Plays. Its throwing accuracy and the cerebral part that elite QBs have that will determine if he ever develops into a elite or even a very good QB. I think he will develop and  acquire the mental part more easily than the  accuracy aspect. 

19 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

In small sample size I've seen, especially at the combine, I think he may have better accuracy on long bombs than midrange passes. 

We all suspect the upside in AR's  game is Big Plays. Its throwing accuracy and the cerebral part that elite QBs have that will determine if he ever develops into an elite or even a very good QB. I think he will develop and  acquire the mental part more easily than the  accuracy aspect. 

Don’t think we will be able to really box score him and be able to tell the impact he has. Despite the accuracy he still  had over 100 rating. Steichen needs to call plays better do it’s not boom or bust.

The place absolutely exploded when he completed this pass. I mean we were all stunned by what we just saw. 

I wish everyone couldve seen it live, in person. It looked like a McAfee punt the way it travelled thru the air. It was a thing of beauty. 

Insane. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Under pressure and not being able to step into it. It was all arm. Seriously impressive throw!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u watch this game and the highlights. There is no one like him in the league. He improves his accuracy and I bleeive he will go down as one of the greatest. He had that much talent. If u were to build a qb, he is what u woule come up with. It's mind boggling the talent this kid has. How u going to stop this kid?? 

Well.   They already did.   RUN the ball.   I'm not taking ANYTHING away from him.    But that's how you stop him.   Keep him on the bench.  

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Well.   They already did.   RUN the ball.   I'm not taking ANYTHING away from him.    But that's how you stop him.   Keep him on the bench.  

One thing that everybody needs to remember about the Time of Possession imbalance is that it wasn't all due to the Texans running roughshod over our run defense.  They did do that, of course.  And I certainly hope that they get a lot out of the film this week.  Because the run defense was simply unacceptable in this game.

The other major factors to the Time of Possession imbalance were (a) the several big chunk plays our offense made, and (b) the blocked punt deep in Texans territory.

From KB's podcast today:

Number of 50+ yard completions over the past few years

2018 - 4 (Andrew Luck)

2019 - 1 (Jacoby Brissett)

2020 - 2 (Phillip Rivers)

2021 - 5 (Carson Wentz)

2022 - 0 (Matt Ryan)

2023 - 5 (Gardner Minshew)

2024 - 3 (Anthony Richardson) in one game

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CR91 said:

This throw is absolutely insane. Falling backwards, can't step into the pass, on his back foot and still launches 60 yards in the air with perfect accuracy. This is why you live with the inaccuracies because of ridiculous throws like this. 

Imagine  Richardson  with a prime randy moss

12 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Under pressure and not being able to step into it. It was all arm. Seriously impressive throw!

I wonder how far he can throw the ball if he really wanted to launch it. That throw went close to 70 yards in the air (he was at the -32 when he threw it, Pierce caught it at about the 2 yard line). If he really stepped into it and didn't have a defender in his lap, I wonder if he could hit 90...

And he had a broken shoulder less than a year ago. He has one of the strongest arms we've ever seen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wonder how far he can throw the ball if he really wanted to launch it. That throw went close to 70 yards in the air (he was at the -32 when he threw it, Pierce caught it at about the 2 yard line). If he really stepped into it and didn't have a defender in his lap, I wonder if he could hit 90...

And he had a broken shoulder less than a year ago. He has one of the strongest arms we've ever seen.

He can really sling it that's for sure. It's almost unreal!

21 hours ago, CR91 said:

about a 65 yard pass