Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

20 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Maybe Guss is “trying to” be better and more creative? Has the run d stepped up it would have been a decent day. On to Greenbay and hopefully get to  1-1 

Seems like Stroud is a bit full of himself. 

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well he is backing it up. Unlike colts who talk big and don’t.

When he beats the Chiefs in the playoffs maybe he can back it up. 

Alright, how about a positive post:

Anthony was the youngest starting QB today, and it was his 5th ever NFL game. And he looked pretty darn good for such limited experience. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Anthony was the youngest starting QB today, and it was his 5th ever NFL game. And he looked pretty darn good for such limited experience. 

I am not concerned with the offense. We did enough to win.

Colts were outcoached today. 

Texans OC came in with a great gameplay. The majority of damage Texans did rushing was outside the tackles or on misdirection.  He knew the strength of the Colt run defense is the interior DL and he devised a gameplay to be able to run all over the Colts anyway. Bradley was unable to adjust. 

Steichens play calling seemed uninspired.  Needs to do a better job of getting AR into a rhythm imo.  Today's coaches also need to realize why the old adage was, for a long time, don't go chasing points until you have to. No need to go for 2 with 5 min left in the 3rd.  Had he kicked the PAT, then it's still presumably a one score game on that last drive.  They'd have still needed a TD and 2 point conversion, but they wouldn't have had the added pressure of needing 2 scores.

The secondary wasn't perfect, but they were hampered more by scheme than anything.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well he is backing it up. Unlike colts who talk big and don’t.

I love Zaire, but he needs to stop talking until he can get this defense to shut some teams down. 

Allowing 200 yards rushing and another 100+ yard game by Nico is unacceptable. We know who the Texans are throwing it to against us. Take care of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I would say so too! He was also part of the 100 passer rating club today. Still crazy that including today he has only started 18 games between college and the NFL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The offense wasn’t the problem. 27 points on 20 min. time of possession. Did it have some misfires? Sure, happens to every offense, but you can’t expect more than that on such limited time. 

The defense needs to step it up BIG time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jason_ said:

Texans OC came in with a great gameplay. The majority of damage Texans did rushing was outside the tackles or on misdirection.  He knew the strength of the Colt run defense is the interior DL and he devised a gameplay to be able to run all over the Colts anyway. Bradley was unable to adjust. 

Steichens play calling seemed uninspired.  Needs to do a better job of getting AR into a rhythm imo.  Today's coaches also need to realize why the old adage was, for a long time, don't go chasing points until you have to. No need to go for 2 with 5 min left in the 3rd.  Had he kicked the PAT, then it's still presumably a one score game on that last drive.  They'd have still needed a TD and 2 point conversion, but they wouldn't have had the added pressure of needing 2 scores.

The secondary wasn't perfect, but they were hampered more by scheme than anything.

I totally agree on the 2 point attempt. I cant stand how these new age coaches dont seem to understand how important that 1 point can be down the road and this game was a perfect example of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

I was at the game… our run defense was FRUSTRATING!!… but nick cross playing an inside leverage 6 yards off of digs on 4th down is totally a Gus thing!!!… I called the mismatch as soon as I saw that

You cant blame Gus for that. Cross has to get it done. He shouldve known to close that distance before the snap. Its a tough assignment, but it is what it is. He needed to be in a better position there. 

I felt like watching it live, he didnt understand his assignment.

I also felt like the first long pass to Collins was his fault. He is supposed to play the ball, not the man. He was focused on making the tackle and was in good position to make a play on the ball. Shouldve been an easy PD, maybe even an INT. 

Not a good day for Nick.

An interesting (can't quite go as far as to say fun watch). Both teams made big plays, both teams made mistakes. Differences seemed to be they pulled out miracle plays, and the run game. We had none, they had more than some.

Getting lots of pressure on the QB is great, not so great if you don't get home, and it's from being too aggressive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Joe Mixon is a great back.  Not surprised he played this well game 1. Texans were a slightly better team and it showed all game. I have feeling we will be in a lot of close games this year with endings similar.  This team is young and needs to play more to put it together. 

Mixon is good but not having 7 yards a carry great....colts run defense made him look alot better than expected 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I believe of the 19 pass attempts AR had today only 2 of those were attempted to the TE group… that says something to me for sure. You’d expect that to be higher. 

Which I found it confusing on why they want to keep 5 tight ends and they barely get schemed to get open.....should've just kept 3 and used the other 2 roster spots for other depth positions

7 hours ago, krunk said:

That's why I wanted us to control the TOP. I knew the more opportunities we gave them to possess the rock they would eventually cash in They just have to many guys to deal with. Not only did we not control the TOP but they controlled it on us big time. We still got explosives though and kept the ball game tight even though the numbers flipped on us. Just have to execute better.

The explosive plays is one of the main reasons we didn't "control the TOP". All 4 of our TDs came after explosive plays - 3 on offense(2 huge passes to Pierce, 1 to Dulin), one on ST(or am I misremembering one of them?). That's why TOP doesn't tell the whole story. The biggest problem was that we couldn't stop Houston's run game, which is why they stayed on the field so long,,, they just ran on us all day long. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RollerColt said:

yes he looked good , his completion percent would have been higher with some quick outs to someone, that is on play calling and coaching

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

A gms job is to aquire talent.  It doesn't matter how that talent is acquired. He drafted Juju and Grover. If you watched the game today you saw Latu get doubled a bunch.  Those are good picks.   Kenny Moore is a damn good player who Belichick let go.   Xavier Rhodes was a very good player.  Nick Cross balled out today.   Your hatred of Ballard is silly.   Don't be here celebrating when we win the division this year or next

Year 8.

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The offense wasn’t the problem. 27 points on 20 min. time of possession. Did it have some misfires? Sure, happens to every offense, but you can’t expect more than that on such limited time. 

The defense needs to step it up BIG time. 

100%, CJ also missed some wide open, it happens.

Ofense did his part and only nedeed a 3 nd out in the end, the universe knew Mixon was running, first down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

The explosive plays is one of the main reasons we didn't "control the TOP". All 4 of our TDs came after explosive plays - 3 on offense(2 huge passes to Pierce, 1 to Dulin), one on ST(or am I misremembering one of them?). That's why TOP doesn't tell the whole story. The biggest problem was that we couldn't stop Houston's run game, which is why they stayed on the field so long,,, they just ran on us all day long. 

Listening to Zaire talk it's almost like they were exclusively focused on stopping the pass. Created a problem defending the run

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Didn’t get to watch yesterday. Seems like it was same old colts though. Giving up backbreaking 3rd and longs.  Richardson seemed to have had a good game though. 

A lot of the stuff they were getting was like next to impossible catches. CJ scrambled all the way to the sideline for example then threw back across his body to the middle of field. What can you do about that?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jason_ said:

I cosign this.

Coaching was just not really noticeable at all.  We talked all last year how Steichen "schemed a hell of a play" or "Bradley needs to blitz more."  Bradley did blitz more but couldn't stop getting gashed.  Off tackled for 7, misdirection for 9.  Just sloppy.  We had a 3rd and 15 and we just left so much space for Stroud to run.  Then EJ Speed just takes a terrible angle to limit the damage and let stroud make it 4th and 1.  Next play he slips and no one is even in the vicinity to contest the pass or hit him.  Just so many missed opportunities.  When we needed a stop, we set up the traffic cones to give them a runway for a first down.  Couldn't stop the run and the pass defense did so little to contest any passes.  The catch to ice the game was just the icing on the cake.  Hell of a play, but if that was the best pass defense all day long, it was never going to be enough to win us a football game; especially if you pair it with that run defense.

On offense, our OL could not create lanes at all.  What was our longest designed run?  Like 6 or 7 yards?  I have no clue where the OL from last year went.  I don't think Taylor's lost a step - at least I hope not - but there wasn't really anywhere to go yesterday.  We could not sustain drives in the first half.  2nd half was better, but defense couldn't get off the field.

There was no reason we should have lost this game.  Like you said, uninspired coaching, then compound that with 2 missed TD opportunities due to bad throws and an ugly interception

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

A lot of the stuff they were getting was like next to impossible catches. CJ scrambled all the way to the sideline for example then threw back across his body to the middle of field. What can you do about that?

Don't lose track of the wide receiver?

46 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Didn’t get to watch yesterday. Seems like it was same old colts though. Giving up backbreaking 3rd and longs.  Richardson seemed to have had a good game though. 

It was the full Richardson experience. The throw to AP was amazing, but the short accuracy is still a work in progress. 

56 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I know I've harped on this before, and I hate saying it, but Granson isn't very good

Also, Bradley can't make adjustments to save his life and it drives me nuts

Granson isn’t really a TE…he’s always reminded me more of an H-back, like Burton. 

But I don’t know if I fault him for slipping when everybody was doing it. Still don’t think he catches that ball if he doesn’t slip though. He’s not that fast or athletic. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Well they didn’t do that either. So what does that say?

A lot of people in this thread said they noticed the linebackers playing off. If that’s true then they really were worried about the passing game. That’s on Ballard for not fixing the secondary. Shame on him.  They did ok stopping the explosive padding attack but in that they just gashed the colts on the ground. You can’t play defense if your your players can’t stop the pass and your thst worried about it.

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some good questions on the radio this morning on the new turf. They played two preseason games on that field and didn’t seem to have issues. Does anyone remember if the roof was open for any of those games? Could the roof being open caused it to be slippery?

Seems like they slipped on the logo most of the time. Roof open may have caused it if it was humid maybe.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A lot of people in this thread said they noticed the linebackers playing off. If that’s true then they really were worried about the passing game. That’s on Ballard for not fixing the secondary. Shame on him.  They did ok stopping the explosive padding attack but in that they just gashed the colts on the ground. You can’t play defense if your your players can’t stop the pass and your thst worried about it.

Sort of a role reversal for both teams, at least of what we thought the game might be. HOU gashed on the ground and were methodical through the air…while the Colts couldn’t get much going on the ground (beyond AR) but the passing offense had explosive plays.

Also a reversal of Week 18 too, but unfortunately the same result. HOU looks very good. 

6 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

You cant blame Gus for that. Cross has to get it done. He shouldve known to close that distance before the snap. Its a tough assignment, but it is what it is. He needed to be in a better position there. 

I felt like watching it live, he didnt understand his assignment.

I also felt like the first long pass to Collins was his fault. He is supposed to play the ball, not the man. He was focused on making the tackle and was in good position to make a play on the ball. Shouldve been an easy PD, maybe even an INT. 

Not a good day for Nick.

I have to disagree, it is on Gus because you have to know your personnel.  Putting Cross on an elite WR on an island in a goal situation is asking for a TD.  Even if cross played him tight, Diggs is good enough to still get open.  It’s not like we had Patrick Surtain out there on him.  

That’s on Gus.  One aspect of coaching is putting your players in position to possibly succeed.  As I said above, Diggs v Cross 1on1 in ANY situation, I’m going with Diggs every time.