Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA

CR91

On 4/26/2024 at 9:34 AM, Solid84 said:

This I feel has been his biggest flaw as a drafter and I'd be REALLY happy if they start valuing production more. Hope it's a new trend.

He also said they had 4-5 guys with true elite grades and Latu was one of them.

Edit: Ballard also mentioned they have a good relationship with Chip Kelly (HC UCLA), so they had a lot of inside information on Latu - explains the lack of meetings.

Someone said he did a 180. I’m not sure. When did they have the opportunity to draft a guy like Latu?  The lower you pick DE’s in the draft the more traits based it’s going to be, right?   I have no doubt he was eyeballing YaYa Diaby last year.

Mitchell is still a high RAS score guy too. In fact, Ballard did what Ballard does, he traded back and still got his guy.  Mitchell better have paid attention to how Ballard stood up for him yesterday. 

The shape of the roster certainly had a role too.  I know many feel there’s glaring holes in the secondary, but this is probably the first year since Luck quit maybe even before where they could really just go BPA.  

Add that Steichen certainly has a better mind than Reich.  I think Ballard has always tried to get his coaches their type of players.   This coaching staff is far superior than the previous regime. 

Marry all that with the maturation of Ballard.  We also don’t know how many swings at guys like Hunter or trade ups have taken place in the past.  Probably not a lot, but maybe.  Ballard sure let us know this year. Is that a more aggressive GM or a guy just tired of hearing the complaints?

I tend to think it’s a combination of them all.  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Someone said he did a 180. I’m not sure. When did they have the opportunity to draft a guy like Latu?  The lower you pick DE’s in the draft the more traits based it’s going to be, right?   I have no doubt he was eyeballing YaYa Diaby last year.

Mitchell is still a high RAS score guy too. In fact, Ballard did what Ballard does, he traded back and still got his guy.  Mitchell better have paid attention to how Ballard stood up for him yesterday. 

The shape of the roster certainly had a role too.  I know many feel there’s glaring holes in the secondary, but this is probably the first year since Luck quit maybe even before where they could really just go BPA.  

Add that Steichen certainly has a better mind than Reich.  I think Ballard has always tried to get his coaches their type of players.   This coaching staff is far superior than the previous regime. 

Marry all that with the maturation of Ballard.  We also don’t know how many swings at guys like Hunter or trade ups have taken place in the past.  Probably not a lot, but maybe.  Ballard sure let us know this year. Is that a more aggressive GM or a guy just tired of hearing the complaints?

There's no doubt Ballard still values RAS. I didn't mean to make it read like RAS is not still important for the Colts.

Latu is an example of Ballard passing on more RAS-y guys at the same position and others of need and picking production over RAS while still taking an athletic guy. Latu is no lead-foot, but he's not top of the class - his ability is skill and technique. I think that's a first for Ballard and I hope it continues.

I have no doubt Steichen and Ballard are a good match. Ballard said when Steichen saw the draft board he immediately started talking about how we could use that guy and that guy and so on. He's just 100% dialed in.

On 4/26/2024 at 7:48 AM, Sheffieldcolt said:

First post here but I do really like this pick. Sure the injury side of things is a risk but he’s played 2 years with it and had no problems from it, so I don’t see why it’s anymore of a risk picking him than taking a player who isn’t as talented and hoping he ends up been the better player than Latu. Just my opinion but there’s always some form of risk with picks but at least skill doesn’t seem to be one with Latu

Welcome Dee Dar 😛 

• Like 2

Outstanding selection, IMO.  

Nailed this one, too.  A lot of quality QB's in the AFC.  A solid approach is get the best pass rusher and make them feel by making them uncomfortable and thinking throughout the game.   Helps the rest of your defense, too.  

On 4/27/2024 at 12:40 PM, Hawkeyecolt said:

They had the opportunity  to draft sweat and traded the pick away

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

They had the opportunity  to draft sweat and traded the pick away

It's almost like there was a significant, contributing factor to the decision to pass on Montez Sweat...

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's almost like there was a significant, contributing factor to the decision to pass on Montez Sweat...

Both him and latu had medical  concerns was the point I was making and both are considered  good rushers..

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2024 at 12:18 PM, CR91 said:

Anyone having issues with the Latu pick, go watch the USC game. Go see how dominate he was.

USC did have one of the worst lines in the country tho

Love the Latu pickup...however, if we want to contend for bigger things, trade for Hendrickson.  With Trey on the right and Latu on the left, we will shut down our opponents.  Go get him. 

• Like 2

Laiatu Latu's new tattoo....sounds like the title of a Dr. Seuss book lol

Laiatu Latu got a tattoo

The tattoo is new

It's of the Shoe

It is not blue the new tattoo

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2024 at 10:05 PM, TheEdgeis1 said:

Not a fan of this pick at all.  Of all the times he trades back.  This was the perfect time

On 4/25/2024 at 10:06 PM, Archer said:

Ugh.  But, as always, I’m now his biggest fan.  I’ll try to see the bright side of selecting what I considered the absolute last non-ST need on the team.

I love posts like these.    I wish we could track them through the years.   I remember I the STAR forum people hated the reggie pick, the freeney pick.  So many haters.   Why not just hope the pick will help the team be better?  Every year these youtube gms think they actually have some knowledge.   You don't.   You have no clue.   I know a few that thinks playing Madden may qualify you .  Are we being serious.   How anyone can be disappointed with this draft at this point is trying to be Mel Kiper.  Ckueless 

• Like 5

On 4/25/2024 at 10:02 PM, RollerColt said:

Not a fan personally. I think Turner will have a better career.

I am fully owning up and expecting this post to age poorly. And good God almighty I will be super happy if it does. 

Kneejerk reactions are something else kids. Also, I probably should've drank less Drambuie that night!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I love posts like these.    I wish we could track them through the years.   I remember I the STAR forum people hated the reggie pick, the freeney pick.  So many haters.   Why not just hope the pick will help the team be better?  Every year these youtube gms think they actually have some knowledge.   You don't.   You have no clue.   I know a few that thinks playing Madden may qualify you .  Are we being serious.   How anyone can be disappointed with this draft at this point is trying to be Mel Kiper.  Ckueless 

Guilty..I remember I was listening to the draft on an AM sports channel, working a side job. Anticipating "the Indianapolis Colts select Ricky Williams" and I hear "Edgerrin James" instead...Edgerrin whoooo?? Was upset. but that turned out pretty well!  

• Like 1

Has anyone who has been paying attention to Latu or to Gus Bradley learned if Latu will play the LEFT defensive end or the LEO, the RIGHT defensive end?   

Has that been confirmed by anyone?!?   

Asking for a few thousand friends here…..

Thanks in advance….  

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Has anyone who has been paying attention to Latu or to Gus Bradley learned if Latu will play the LEFT defensive end or the LEO, the RIGHT defensive end?   

Has that been confirmed by anyone?!?   

Asking for a few thousand friends here…..

Thanks in advance….  

I think the Colts are still trying to figure that out. Latu is more than capable off both edges, though, so I expect they'll end up moving him around.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2024 at 1:14 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's about time lady luck fell our way for once. Ballard deserves this moment for all the flack he takes.

Irsay himself, with all the Best intentions,  has been our problem. He "mentored" Chuck and Grigson by his own admission during his very troubled personal times. Some bad decisions were made that he should own up to someday.

Post Frank it is all begun anew. The league has progressed, we hit BIG with our HC, we have a QB with huge upside and great prospects to help elevate our competitiveness.

Ballard has earned his flack along the way.

Knock on wood that our Team has good luck.

Ballard will look way better if so.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

That's pretty darn cool.   How can you not root for this kid.   Even if he went to another team I would root for him.  But I'm glad we got him

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That's pretty darn cool.   How can you not root for this kid.   Even if he went to another team I would root for him.  But I'm glad we got him

Agreed, very cool. He's very likeable.

Over/under 2 games before he's called a bust here?? :lol:

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

Agreed, very cool. He's very likeable.

Over/under 2 games before he's called a bust here?? :lol:

If he doesn't get a sack against the Texans,  it will be said by someone

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I Didn't care much for the pick at first but once I realized he was the first defensive player off the board and the Colts were able to snag AD Mitchell in the 2nd, this pick became a slam dunk IMO.

I was stunned to say  the least as not a single defensive  guy had been taken til that point. Hopefully  we really did get the best one as turner and Mitchell  the cb wrere there to.