Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here’s a question.  What are the odds that the Colts first pick will have played in the Senior Bowl?

Well, we know Ballard has picked A LOT of senior bowl players. I forgot the actual number, but it was posted here earlier this offseason.

2 hours ago, wig said:

I can't think of a worse move in this draft than a WR at 15

Wr is it's  strength. Better a talented  wr than reaching  for someone  who isn't  worth the pick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It never fails.  Every year there always seems to be one.  And there’s still almost three weeks to go.

The person who wrote the tweet ends it with this….    “Will he drop out of the 1st?”

I doubt I’ve seen one mock either from NFL.com or ESPN, or the 33rd Team that has ever had Sweat mocked in the first.  He’s been a second round mock everywhere I’ve looked.   Ridiculous. 

Good player, but as a general rule I don’t like 360+ pound players.   

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The person who wrote the tweet ends it with this….    “Will he drop out of the 1st?”

I doubt I’ve seen one mock either from NFL.com or ESPN, or the 33rd Team that has ever had Sweat mocked in the first.  He’s been a second round mock everywhere I’ve looked.   Ridiculous. 

Good player, but as a general rule I don’t like 360+ pound players.   

Yeah I just seen it say he was a projected 1st so that’s why I said that. So I ask this this time then, will he drop out of the 2nd round lol?!

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Yeah I just seen it say he was a projected 1st so that’s why I said that. So I ask this this time then, will he drop out of the 2nd round lol?!

Sorry Tweeze.   I wasn’t calling you out.   I thought it was part of the Tweet from MLFootball.   I didn’t think it came from you.   

Could he fall from the 2nd round to 3rd round?   Yes.   I don’t think it’s a lock to happen, but I’d say it’s probable it will happen.   

Again, my apologies.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Let’s be honest, who really wanted Quinyon Mitchell? I find it funny a lot of the years when players do really well at combine there stocks rise up and now people want that player and are super in love with them. Like they were never wanted before the combine and when they have good stats they are just so good and need to be had. 

In all fairness that’s how the process is designed work. Mitchell was a 2 time all conference and I believe all- American. He was invited to the senior bowl and then the combine and coaches/media get up close look at him.  During this process more fans learn about players.   I doubt majority of people watch enough college football to really know a corner back from Toledo is a first round capable player. Most people watch their team and maybe a few other big games, so unless their team crosses paths with a player like Mitchell, we don’t don’t know about him until now. I’m thankful for the process for this. 

10 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Let’s be honest, who really wanted Quinyon Mitchell? I find it funny a lot of the years when players do really well at combine there stocks rise up and now people want that player and are super in love with them. Like they were never wanted before the combine and when they have good stats they are just so good and need to be had. 

In all fairness that’s how the process is designed work. Mitchell was a 2 time all conference and I believe all- American. He was invited to the senior bowl and then the combine and coaches/media get up close look at him.  During this process more fans learn about players.   I doubt majority of people watch enough college football to really know a corner back from Toledo is a first round capable player. Most people watch their team and maybe a few other big games, so unless their team crosses paths with a player like Mitchell, we don’t don’t know about him until now. I’m thankful for the process for this. 

11 hours ago, wig said:

I can't think of a worse move in this draft than a WR at 15

I can think of a few..

They could take a kicker or punter at 15

They could pass and miss their pick.

They could draft a guy from a different sport.

They could draft a guy who projected to go undrafted.

They could draft Curtis Painter 

The could trade the Pick, next years first and AR for Kenny Pickett.

So there are lots of things they COULD do that could be worse.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why?

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Do tell us why…

There's no value. The big 3 are gone by 9 and then there's a huge cluster of talent. Value doesn't come back until at very least the mid 20s

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wig said:

There's no value. The big 3 are gone by 9 and then there's a huge cluster of talent. Value doesn't come back until at very least the mid 20s

Fair enough.  But I think they need explosiveness on Offense. Whether that’s TE or WR, we need impact weapons. 2nd and 3rd round WRs haven’t really been impactful for us outside of Pittman. I’d like to take a shot high on WR. But I also don’t want a super reach. So I guess for me, depends on who’s on the board at 15

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Fair enough.  But I think they need explosiveness on Offense. Whether that’s TE or WR, we need impact weapons. 2nd and 3rd round WRs haven’t really been impactful for us outside of Pittman. I’d like to take a shot high on WR. But I also don’t want a super reach. So I guess for me, depends on who’s on the board at 15

I agree. I've spent plenty of time championing moving up to do so. But if they get a WR, move back from 15 or up from 46 if you'd like. Just don't pick one there

Edit - Bowers would be an easy choice at 15

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Josh Downs says hello!    :hat:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Josh Downs says hello!    :hat:

Jury is still out there, I like Downs, a lot,  I’m hoping he’ll be more consistent in his sophomore year with hopefully better QB play

This is just my opinion, but Ballard has to come away with an impact explosive playmaker in the passing game to help Richardson in this draft. If a Nabers or Odunze were to be there at 9 or 10, I think you have to deal up to get them so long as you aren’t giving up a haul. Unless you are confident Bowers will be there at 15. You gotta score to keep up with Houston, and even the Titans made improvements in their weaponry in the passing game with Ridley. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Agreed I really want an Odunze or Nabers on this offense. But I’d also be happy with Bowers. To get the WRs you may have to deal up to 9 to do so which I’m good with if you aren’t giving up a haul. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why?

We have to many holes to fill and wr is something you draft later when you have a complete team. If i remember correctly if you look at the top teams in the playoff, I would argue that they were not receiver driven. It is like all this talk about the wrs at the top of the draft. I am drafting that LT at 4 if I am Arizona, if they don't move down, instead of Harrison and/or Nabors.  A dominant LT to me is more valuable than an elite wr who needs the ball to make plays. Thats just me. These receivers come to a 2nd contract and are now wanting 30 million. It is like Minny with Jefferson. I would dangle him to Arizona to trade for their number 4. They have Murray signed and need to justify that joke of a contract. Then Minny can grab their qb of the future. They still have another first round pick. I really dont get the love of signing these wrs to crzy  money. They are the only position in football, I would argue, that is totally dependent on the qb

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have to many holes to fill and wr is something you draft later when you have a complete team. If i remember correctly if you look at the top teams in the playoff, I would argue that they were not receiver driven. It is like all this talk about the wrs at the top of the draft. I am drafting that LT at 4 if I am Arizona, if they don't move down, instead of Harrison and/or Nabors.  A dominant LT to me is more valuable than an elite wr who needs the ball to make plays. Thats just me. These receivers come to a 2nd contract and are now wanting 30 million. It is like Minny with Jefferson. I would dangle him to Arizona to trade for their number 4. They have Murray signed and need to justify that joke of a contract. Then Minny can grab their qb of the future. They still have another first round pick. I really dont get the love of signing these wrs to crzy  money. They are the only position in football, I would argue, that is totally dependent on the qb

I disagree Moose. You have to have a dynamic passing attack today. Of course that starts with the QB, but having a WR1 is critical too, and in my book Pitt is one of the best WR2s in the business. The Colts need a WR1; another pass rusher; and another top CB. So if they stay at 15 or trade down slightly to get another high Day 2 pick, one of those positions should be the #1 choice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

IMO, AR needs all the help he can get. If Bowers is there, I would take him. If Brian Thomas is there, I would take him. Thomas is the 4th best WR in the draft only behind Marv, Malik, and Rome. Thomas may even be better than those guys on the pro level. He's tall, big, strong, with good hands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO, AR needs all the help he can get. If Bowers is there, I would take him. If Brian Thomas is there, I would take him. Thomas is the 4th best WR in the draft only behind Marv, Malik, and Rome. Thomas may even be better than those guys on the pro level. He's tall, big, strong, with good hands.

i agree. I feel it’s Odunze if he magically falls, bowers (or the top pass rusher on their board), Thomas or a trade back for Adonai Mitchell, one of the corners, etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

i agree. I feel it’s Odunze if he magically falls, bowers (or the top pass rusher on their board), Thomas or a trade back for Adonai Mitchell, one of the corners, etc. 

I am not big on taking Corners in the 1st round, but Mitchell is one kid that has peaked my interest. I have now watched film on him, he is crafty and sly fast. If I went defense, I would take him. Having said that, we need another playmaker WR on offense to go with Pittman, Pierce, and Downs. Pierce isn't bad but we need someone that can get better separation than him. 

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not big on taking Corners in the 1st round, but Mitchell is one kid that has peaked my interest. I have now watched film on him, he is crafty and sly fast. If I went defense, I would take him. Having said that, we need another playmaker WR on offense to go with Pittman, Pierce, and Downs. Pierce isn't bad but we need someone that can get better separation than him. 

I doubt I’ll be upset if we do take him. I’m hopeful that a few players like him are taking before 15, so we have options 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ditto!   100 percent!     :scoregood:

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This D has no  playmakers except an aging DT. The offence has something the D does not. That being  hopefully a franchise qb who will make everyone around  him better.  The D needs a DE, Corner and a FS badly. We can add another wr and hopefully he turns out because we will need to score 30 points a game to have a chance. We need build towards have a complete team not just one that is going to have to outscore everyone.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I disagree Moose. You have to have a dynamic passing attack today. Of course that starts with the QB, but having a WR1 is critical too, and in my book Pitt is one of the best WR2s in the business. The Colts need a WR1; another pass rusher; and another top CB. So if they stay at 15 or trade down slightly to get another high Day 2 pick, one of those positions should be the #1 choice. 

I think the top teams in the playoff proved one thing. Franchise qb and solid lines sprinkled in with good wr play but not elite. Plus, I think you have to give Richardson a year with these  guys to find out if it was qb play why they were not hitting their potential or they suck lol. Do Pierce and the TE's break out with Richardson? One thing we do know is that the D lacks any playmakers except for an aging DT. I think the term WR1 is vastly overused. To be honest, there might be only a few true  #1 wr's in the league who are worthy of that label. I am thinking Jefferson, Hill, Chase etc. I think there are a lot of teams who have a couple wr twos on their team and there is nothing wrong with that. Look at Houston. They had Collins and Dell to take the top off. No true number one but they each had their role. Collins works the inside and Dell takes the top off. Diggs is no longer a #1, so in reality, Houston will probably be show casing 3 number 2 receivers.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 2:42 AM, krunk said:

How did u like all those big power moves the Carolina Panthers made last year?😢 Turned well didn't it?

What a stupid comparison.

I didn't imply giving up multiple firsts and the best weapon on your roster to get a guy that has to carry an awful roster from the get go with a new HC that got fired for being incompetent at his prior spot. The Colts are nowhere near as bad as the Panthers were last year, and we wouldn't be giving up as much either if we wanted to reasonably trade up a few spots.

If we can trade up to 6-10, which requires  a few mid round picks in addition to our first to get one of the elite receiving talents that this draft has to offer, then call me crazy but I want the Colts to go for it.  Ballard's generally conservative draft philosophy isn't infallible and moving up sometimes to get a guy who you think can be special is risky, but certainly can be worth it. Playing risky at times, but coming up correct more often than not is something I want to see from my team's GM. 

53 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I didn't imply giving up multiple firsts and the best weapon on your roster to get a guy that has to carry an awful roster from the get go with a new HC that got fired for being incompetent at his prior spot. The Colts are nowhere near as bad as the Panthers were last year, and we wouldn't be giving up as much either if we wanted to reasonably trade up a few spots.

If we can trade up to 6-10, which requires  a few mid round picks in addition to our first to get one of the elite receiving talents that this draft has to offer, then call me crazy but I want the Colts to go for it.  Ballard's generally conservative draft philosophy isn't infallible and moving up sometimes to get a guy who you think can be special is risky, but certainly can be worth it. Playing risky at times, but coming up correct more often than not is something I want to see from my team's GM. 

Probably not going to happen and it's still not the best. You're trading up for most likely a WR and the draft is full of WR talent. The Big 3 aren't the only guys you can build an explosive offense around. Which defender do you think is worth multiple picks? We run a zone scheme.  Trading down is the better value because in Rd 2 there's going to be talent that slid. A trade down gives us picks and we can position ourselves better at the top of Rd 2. And we will still get an elite player from Rd 1. How do I know? Because Ballard said they deem more players as blue chip according to the Colts standards than what the pundits and fans do. So if we trade down it's likely they still see one of their elite picks on the board. Remember we did not delve much in FA so we need to acquire picks in most cases. I just hate the notion that if we don't trade up and chase a player we didn't make power moves to be great. If I read you wrong then my apologies. 

53 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This D has no  playmakers except an aging DT. The offence has something the D does not. That being  hopefully a franchise qb who will make everyone around  him better.  The D needs a DE, Corner and a FS badly. We can add another wr and hopefully he turns out because we will need to score 30 points a game to have a chance. We need build towards have a complete team not just one that is going to have to outscore everyone.

If we drafted Mitchell I would be ok with it :thmup:

1 hour ago, colts89 said:

Why would a team trade back for a few mid round picks and miss out on elite wrs?   I think it will cost a lot more than that