Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There is 100% certainty when trading for elite talent.  Who cares who if you have to sign him to a new contract.  That’s not part of the argument.  That happens all the time.  We did it with Buckner.  You trade for an elite player that’s what you’re getting.  

I don’t think those players were considered elite when they were traded. They were past their elite years and they were bringing other personal problems with them.  They were considered good players who could still produce but that’s about it.  Diggs and Buckner were considered elite at the time of their trade though.  Now injuries could always affect the outcome of a trade but you can’t predict injuries.  Rodgers is a good example of that circumstance.  Sometimes teams are forced to move players because they are literately forced to because of cap restraints.  That happens all the time too.  That’s what the Colts should ideally be looking for.

Randy Moss was coming off of and would go on to have a hall of fame seasons after the raiders traded him.  The only place he didn't work was with the Raiders.  Bell had a monster season leading to contract dispute which lead to his trade.  When Denver acquired Wilson he was thought to make them a Super Bowl team.  

seem pretty elite when they got traded to me and didn’t work in their new place meaning all trades don’t always work out.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

RP does this to himself every offseason.   He predicts big block buster trades or free agent signings.  It never happens,  but he enjoys the fact it could happen

I know and it’s fine.  Fans can like putting together a roster however they want.  Nothing wrong with saying what you want to happen.  I just wanted to say something when I disagreed with the stance that trades are 100% certain when they aren’t.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 9:15 PM, Happy2BeHere said:

Draft someone GREAT…that’s all I ask for. Tired of “mediocre” or “great potential” picks. Give me someone who’s solid and proven it through the years of college.

If it were only that easy…

It’s a draft since they have never played in the NFL all they can have is great potential until they prove it at the NFL level which they can’t do before the draft.

Also the Colts did that with guys like Paye, Taylor, Dayo, and Pittman, Pierce, among others and all have taken some form of heat from posters on their forum.  All of them had solid and well proven college careers.  The only guy drafted in the first couple of rounds in recent history that didn’t have much of a college track record is Richardson and most people wanted him more than the proven Levis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is Cynthia Frelunds mock.

She has bowers falling to 15

"Bowers is one of the new-mold tight ends, which means he forecasts to be especially potent in a more modern offense. Enter Shane Steichen, Anthony Richardson and the Colts' scheme. Between blocking, aligning in the slot and out wide, making catches in the vaunted middle-third of the field and generally bullying defenders, Bowers is the kind of versatile piece that could make an immediate impact on the Colts' offense -- similar to what we saw from rookie tight ends in Detroit and Buffalo last year."

https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-bears-pass-on-qb-commanders-land-caleb-williams

• Like 1

Everyone is salivating over possibly Bowers going to the Colts.  This reminds me of when Kyle Pitts and TJ Hockenson were drafted.  Both sure fire can’t miss players who were drafted top 10 in their draft class.  So far nothing much to shout home about.  Still possible they take off but for top 10 draft status a disappointment I would say.  The Bills drafted Kincaid at 25.  That’s a great return for them for a TE at 25.  Goes to show you how much risk is at stake with the draft.  No need to look further than Malik Hooker at 15.  Mocks are fun for a lot of fans.  But not really realistic until after FA.  Then we should be able to see if any major needs were addressed. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Everyone is salivating over possibly Bowers going to the Colts.  This reminds me of when Kyle Pitts and TJ Hockenson were drafted.  Both sure fire can’t miss players who were drafted top 10 in their draft class.  So far nothing much to shout home about.  Still possible they take off but for top 10 draft status a disappointment I would say.  The Bills drafted Kincaid at 25.  That’s a great return for them for a TE at 25.  Goes to show you how much risk is at stake with the draft.  No need to look further than Malik Hooker at 15.  Mocks are fun for a lot of fans.  But not really realistic until after FA.  Then we should be able to see if any major needs were addressed. 

Both those players are really good.

• Like 1

Just now, Boss7894 said:

Do we need a tackle at 15? Because it was noticeably different when Braden Smith was in there

Yeah but Smith is coming back healthy so taking one at 15 would be a waste.  They could look for a backup later in the draft but more than likely they will continue to develop Freeland.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

But are they miles ahead of the TEs we have already 

See, this is how I looked at it at first.  Also, tight end is not a premium position and it confused me how people hated the Nelson pick but salivate over getting bowers.

but once I looked at some bowers tape and reading things about him, I get it now.  Tight end is just what he’s listed at, but he’s really a walking mismatch.  He’s like a big bodied gadget player.  Think CMC if he played tight end.  Speed and hands of a receiver in a linebackers body.  I’d even say maybe a deebo Samuel offshoot.

now, is bowers that explosive player were all hoping to acquire one day to play opposite of Pittman?  Maybe not, but I’m hoping we can grab that player in the second.

at least that’s how I’m looking at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just listened to an interview Mike Florio had with Bowers a few days ago.  He asked him if there was a team he would prefer to play for if it were up to him.  He said the Titans.  Didn’t give the standard answer that players usually give. You know it doesn’t matter.  Florio goes hear that Titans he wants to go to Tennessee.  Interesting interview.

I don't think it's a fluke that the 2 best TE's in the NFL are in the SB and you could easily argue that the 4 best were in the championship games. TE's are a huge part of today's game. No way SF or KC is in the SB without their TE's....BTW, I don't think there is any chance Bowers will be there at 15 because everybody knows they are now "Premium" positions. With our rushing attack and people playing base against AR and JT, a TE could have a huge season in our offense because of mismatches.

• Like 5

Some mocks for the Colts are dream come true scenarios, but also unrealistic.  Seen Brock Bowers as noted above.  Seen Malik Nabers… Can’t see either of those happening, but would love to be wrong.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:03 PM, richard pallo said:

Everyone is salivating over possibly Bowers going to the Colts.  This reminds me of when Kyle Pitts and TJ Hockenson were drafted.  Both sure fire can’t miss players who were drafted top 10 in their draft class.  So far nothing much to shout home about.  Still possible they take off but for top 10 draft status a disappointment I would say.  The Bills drafted Kincaid at 25.  That’s a great return for them for a TE at 25.  Goes to show you how much risk is at stake with the draft.  No need to look further than Malik Hooker at 15.  Mocks are fun for a lot of fans.  But not really realistic until after FA.  Then we should be able to see if any major needs were addresse

Hockensom has 95 catches last year…. Absolute stud.

pitts been disappointing for sure, but seems a lot of that was the previous coach focusing on scheming touches for Khadarrel Hodges and Jonnu Smith instead of his elite talents.  No surprise Arthur Smith got fired 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

The Athletic’s latest mock has WRs Harrison, Nabers, Odunze and TE Bowers all selected in top 10. Has Colts taking CB Arnold, Alabama. 

I'd be happy with that pick

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

The Athletic’s latest mock has WRs Harrison, Nabers, Odunze and TE Bowers all selected in top 10. Has Colts taking CB Arnold, Alabama. 

Something I’ve heard mentioned more than once part of the reason teams run a zone scheme like the Colts run is that it doesn’t require cornerbacks drafted high to play it.  Doesn’t mean they can’t take a corner in the first, Polian did with Jackson and they ran a zone scheme, but it might not make as big of a need for the Colts.  

Still knowing the players projected draft line ups are going to change in the coming weeks I feel right the guy to watch is Grover.  If he’s not re-signed and knowing Buckner’s contract is also coming due I could see the Colts drafting a DT at 15 if one is there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Something I’ve heard mentioned more than once part of the reason teams run a zone scheme like the Colts run is that it doesn’t require cornerbacks drafted high to play it.  Doesn’t mean they can’t take a corner in the first, Polian did with Jackson and they ran a zone scheme, but it might not make as big of a need for the Colts.  

Still knowing the players projected draft line ups are going to change in the coming weeks I feel right the guy to watch is Grover.  If he’s not re-signed and knowing Buckner’s contract is also coming due I could see the Colts drafting a DT at 15 if one is there.

We can go dt later in draft. Grover is evidence  of that

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think they sign Grover but that they’ll also draft  a DT Day 2. We all saw the run D when Grove was missing for those 6 games. They need him. 

On 2/10/2024 at 12:03 PM, richard pallo said:

I don't think Kyle Pitts is a fair comparison.

Pitts has struggled at times because Falcons QB play was so bad.

In Pitts career, Falcons had Matt Ryan for QB in 2021 and Pitts had over a 1000 yards receiving.

It went all down hill after that in that Falcons had Marcus Mariotta, Taylor Heinike and Desmond Ridder.

So Pitts has not benefitted from good QB play for most of his career.

• Like 7

On 2/15/2024 at 3:57 PM, PRnum1 said:

I don't think Kyle Pitts is a fair comparison.

Pitts has struggled at times because Falcons QB play was so bad.

In Pitts career, Falcons had Matt Ryan for QB in 2021 and Pitts had over a 1000 yards receiving.

It went all down hill after that in that Falcons had Marcus Mariotta, Taylor Heinike and Desmond Ridder.

So Pitts has not benefitted from good QB play for most of his career.

They should go after Justin Fields, he would flourish inside the dome of the Falcons. He wanted the Bears to get a dome, if you remember. :) 

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/15/justin-fields-is-adamant-about-the-bears-getting-an-indoor-stadium/

Plus, Michael Vick is a big supporter of Justin Fields, it would probably be ironic Justin Fields plays in the same dome as Vick did.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/19/michael-vick-made-his-opinion-of-the-justin-fields-situation-clear/?itm_source=parsely-api

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Is it the coaching, play calling or the player that we have not had another Dallas Clark since Manning?  We were told that Jelani Woods, Ogletree, Mo and Granson were all great TE prospects. Well, I just don't see it.

I think it’s morseo the players:

Woods:  can’t stay healthy and when he does play he flashes.  He needs to just play.  I think he’ll be good.

Ogletree:  doesn’t really have the speed to separate.  Doesn’t have the IQ to find soft spots.  

Mo:  See Ogletree

Granson:  does have the speed, but doesn’t seem to have the route running to break off consistently or the IQ to find soft spots.

i don’t think it’s playcalling, because at multiple times this season our tight end group was outperforming the wide receiver group.  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 5:44 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I know and it’s fine.  Fans can like putting together a roster however they want.  Nothing wrong with saying what you want to happen.  I just wanted to say something when I disagreed with the stance that trades are 100% certain when they aren’t.

I agree. Nothing is 100% certain. Trades, free agents, draft picks -- none. Every move is a gamble.  Even the first pick in the draft is not 100% guaranteed to work out. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I think it’s morseo the players:

Woods:  can’t stay healthy and when he does play he flashes.  He needs to just play.  I think he’ll be good.

Ogletree:  doesn’t really have the speed to separate.  Doesn’t have the IQ to find soft spots.  

Mo:  See Ogletree

Granson:  does have the speed, but doesn’t seem to have the route running to break off consistently or the IQ to find soft spots.

i don’t think it’s playcalling, because at multiple times this season our tight end group was outperforming the wide receiver group.  

Ummm….  How would you or anyone know if a player has the IQ to do their job or not.   

I think the comment is beneath you at best.  Perhaps a poor choice of words.  At worst, well, you don’t want to know.  I hope you’ll re-think this?  

Isn’t it time to look for a home run pick for the offense? Bowers would be that kind of pick. Having a dynamic TE would be huge and would arguably be equal to picking up a WR1 running mate for Pitt. If he’s available at 15 I think it’s a no brainer to pick him. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ummm….  How would you or anyone know if a player has the IQ to do their job or not.   

I think the comment is beneath you at best.  Perhaps a poor choice of words.  At worst, well, you don’t want to know.  I hope you’ll re-think this?  

my bad, I’m saying Football IQ, field awareness, etc.  not trying to say they’re “dumb”.  Football players are actually very educated.  I know a few of them.

what I’m getting at is that they don’t have that kelce savvyness.  Kelce isn’t the fastest or most athletic tight end, but he just find ways to alter his route and get open.  Plus him and Mahomes just have that rapport.  And kelce isn’t the only one who has that ability, but it’s the easiest way to explain what I’m trying to say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 1:25 PM, AustexColt said:

Is it the coaching, play calling or the player that we have not had another Dallas Clark since Manning?  We were told that Jelani Woods, Ogletree, Mo and Granson were all great TE prospects. Well, I just don't see it.

No one ever said Ogeltree, Mo, or Granson were "great" prospects".

We have some idea that Woods can be good in the red zone. We will grade him after his 3rd year to see if we have a player.

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:57 AM, chad72 said:

They should go after Justin Fields, he would flourish inside the dome of the Falcons. He wanted the Bears to get a dome, if you remember. :) 

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/15/justin-fields-is-adamant-about-the-bears-getting-an-indoor-stadium/

Plus, Michael Vick is a big supporter of Justin Fields, it would probably be ironic Justin Fields plays in the same dome as Vick did.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/19/michael-vick-made-his-opinion-of-the-justin-fields-situation-clear/?itm_source=parsely-api

vick never played en mercedes benz stadium but i get what yu mean 

This seems like a clickbait title, but I thought I’d post it anyway just for discussion. 

Title suggests insider information, but it reads like speculation. 

It’s suggested the Colts would target a WR early and the Brian Thomas Jr., Troy Franklin and Adonai Mitchell would be likely targets. 

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

This seems like a clickbait title, but I thought I’d post it anyway just for discussion. 

Title suggests insider information, but it reads like speculation. 

It’s suggested the Colts would target a WR early and the Brian Thomas Jr., Troy Franklin and Adonai Mitchell would be likely targets. 

I’d be very happy with Thomas or Franklin.

however, my gut is telling me to watch Legette out of South Carolina as a WR pick in the 2nd. He won’t go in the first, which means we might go TE or CB at 15, IF Legette is the target. His size and speed is intriguing so watch his RAS score. If it’s high, which I suspect it is, he’s a sleeper Ballard esq pick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’d be very happy with Thomas or Franklin.

however, my gut is telling me to watch Legette out of South Carolina as a WR pick in the 2nd. He won’t go in the first, which means we might go TE or CB at 15, IF Legette is the target. His size and speed is intriguing so watch his RAS score. If it’s high, which I suspect it is, he’s a sleeper Ballard esq pick

I would agree if he’d had a better Senior Bowl which I thought was a little disappointing. 

• Like 1

Sooo a lot of mocks are showing QBs taken 1-3, if Harrison Jr is there at 4, would you try to trade up with the Cards to get him and ball park, what would you be willing to give up? I’m thinking this years 1 & 4, next years 1 would at least be the starting point

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Sooo a lot of mocks are showing QBs taken 1-3, if Harrison Jr is there at 4, would you try to trade up with the Cards to get him and ball park, what would you be willing to give up? I’m thinking this years 1 & 4, next years 1 would at least be the starting point

No.  Regardless of his last name - don’t believe that move would be wise, given the cost.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

No.  Regardless of his last name - don’t believe that move would be wise, given the cost.

Separating his name, he’s the dynamic WR we need. But I admit, it is hard to gauge whether the hype is correct given his name

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

SF trade with Miami for Trey Lance from #12 to #3 would be a good reference for such a move up. 

Miami traded a first-round selection (3rd overall) to San Francisco in exchange for a first-round selection (12th overall), 2022 first and third-round selections, and a 2023 first-round selection

If you really want to do that trade, you could wait for Nabers if he falls to #5-#10 range but both Harrison Jr and Nabers could get picked up at #4 & #5. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think if you add in Pierce or Downs as part of the trade (give them the option ) and I would bet they do the trade.  That would be adding a starting receiver for them.