Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay wants Marv Jr…

csmopar

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't care anything about MHJ not doing the combine. Plenty guys opt for the Pro day. I'm sure He consulted with MH sr. and other NFL players before hand

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't care anything about MHJ not doing the combine. Plenty guys opt for the Pro day. I'm sure He consulted with MH sr. and other NFL players before hand

If that is the case, would not have Harrison Sr. Adviced his son to opt out of Combine invite informing the teams that he would not attend, except may be for medical?

Harrison Jr missing the Combine was not a problem, but he had interviews lined up with teams, formal and informal, and he had combine activities lined up including media meets but then he didn't show up which was a concern on character and how he'd participate in team activities and how he'd conduct himself to coaches and teammates. He opened up a can of worms about himself. Not sure anyone would advise him to do so, let alone his father! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

We ALL pretty much know this won't happen...........

BUT...

What if Chris Ballard pulled it off?

Most Colts fans will be happy but some will bemoan whatever he gave up to make it happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

BUT...

Then Andrew Luck would un-retire and join the Colts until Arch Manning entered the draft for us to trade another kings ransom to get him.

Okay, seriously, if Ballard pulled this one of and got MH Jr. I think we would hope that HE is that good of a player, and that AR can stay healthy. 

But MH jr. don´t make us a super bowl contender.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

BUT...

It would depend on how well or not well Marv 2.0 plays

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Then Andrew Luck would un-retire and join the Colts until Arch Manning entered the draft for us to trade another kings ransom to get him.

Okay, seriously, if Ballard pulled this one of and got MH Jr. I think we would hope that HE is that good of a player, and that AR can stay healthy. 

Arch Manning can’t even break into a starting QB role in College. He’s been named back up QB again. I’m not so sure what effect that will have on his nfl aspirations 

54 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Arch Manning can’t even break into a starting QB role in College. He’s been named back up QB again. I’m not so sure what effect that will have on his nfl aspirations 

Arch is playing behind a QB that was the #1 recruit as well a couple years before him.Quinn Ewers is also very talented and probably will end up a first round pick in the NFL 

13 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Harrison Jr missing the Combine was not a problem, but he had interviews lined up with teams, formal and informal, and he had combine activities lined up including media meets but then he didn't show up which was a concern on character and how he'd participate in team activities and how he'd conduct himself to coaches and teammates. He opened up a can of worms about himself. Not sure anyone would advise him to do so, let alone his father! 

Then there is the conspiracy theory that "Maybe he is doing this in part to turn some teams off intentionally, so that he drops a few slots so that the Colts could make a reasonable trade up for him." Well how would this work? First, picks 1-3 would all have to be QBs without trades and I think that is very possible. Then Arizona (who doesn't need a QB and all the mocks say they will pick MHJ) trades their pick to another team that wants a QB. Well, that COULD happen. Then pick #5 is the chargers. They need a WR and Harbaugh (who knows MHJ well), will have to pick someone else. I think that's unlikely. And I don't think they will trade with us. So who's next? The Giants. If the Chargers by some miracle picks someone other than MHJ, I think the Giants COULD be a trade partner. Would the Giants pick someone else if they keep the pick? They could use a WR too. Next is the Titans and there is no way that they trade with us or not pick MHJ if he is there. Tantalizing to think about, but still very unlikely in my opinion.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

Who is the draft expert in here?  How high would we have to trade up and what does the chart say the compensation of picks would be?

15 to top 5. Probably need next years first and this years 3rd at a minimum. Probably more

Not holding my breath………

I hope they trade back 3-4 spots and get another late 2nd or 3rd and draft AD Mitchell

Very explosive

And we can get other needed positions

or stay at 15 and take the best DE , or Brian Thomas

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

BUT...

It would be awesome.  I would give it a try.  I read where one of the biggest needs for the Cardinals is DT.  I would be okay offering two 1sts and Buckner and Pierce and being ready to add a couple of 4ths if need be.  Something like that.  They could do what we did and extend Buckner as part of the deal.  I think Dayo would do a good job in Buckner’s spot.  He’s no Buckner right now but who is.  I love Buckner but he is entering is age 31 year.  If we ever thought about trading him the time is now and leading up to the draft.  We might be fine with extending him so that kills that idea of course.  A trade up in the draft doesn’t always have to be draft picks.  He is one of our blue chip players so there could be interest.  We know Irsay would love MHJ.  Worth having a conversation with the Cardinals I would think.

12 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

He wouldn’t help make the Colts a contender? Like at all?  I would say he puts us closer to contenders at the very least?

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

He wouldn’t help make the Colts a contender? Like at all?  I would say he puts us closer to contenders at the very least?

People are just coping with the fact that we more than likely won't be in position to draft him. 

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It would be awesome.  I would give it a try.  I read where one of the biggest needs for the Cardinals is DT.  I would be okay offering two 1sts and Buckner and Pierce and being ready to add a couple of 4ths if need be.  Something like that.  They could do what we did and extend Buckner as part of the deal.  I think Dayo would do a good job in Buckner’s spot.  He’s no Buckner right now but who is.  I love Buckner but he is entering is age 31 year.  If we ever thought about trading him the time is now and leading up to the draft.  We might be fine with extending him so that kills that idea of course.  A trade up in the draft doesn’t always have to be draft picks.  He is one of our blue chip players so there could be interest.  We know Irsay would love MHJ.  Worth having a conversation with the Cardinals I would think.

Holy Crap!    After 7 years you’ve learned nothing about Ballard.     :facepalm:

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Two firsts, Buckner, Pierce and two fourths…good lord.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:54 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If that is the case, would not have Harrison Sr. Adviced his son to opt out of Combine invite informing the teams that he would not attend, except may be for medical?

His father was and is known to have some shady character traits off the field.  Not saying he is his father but it would be something I would at least keep in the back of my mind. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Two firsts, Buckner, Pierce and two fourths…good lord.

RP does this every off season.   He hopes upon hope of some major transaction that never materializes.   Hey,  maybe this is the year.   I see a few 2nd and 3rd tier guys in free agency.   He will probably trade back in the first.   That is Ballard's MO.  I also think it's Irsays MO.  Tobin, Polian,  Grigson and Ballard.  They don't sign high dollar free agents.   To be fair,  most don't work out in the long run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

RP does this every off season.   He hopes upon hope of some major transaction that never materializes.   Hey,  maybe this is the year.   I see a few 2nd and 3rd tier guys in free agency.   He will probably trade back in the first.   That is Ballard's MO.  I also think it's Irsays MO.  Tobin, Polian,  Grigson and Ballard.  They don't sign high dollar free agents.   To be fair,  most don't work out in the long run. 

His comments this year about free agency really resonated with me. It really made sense. He basically said (and I'm sure he's said it many times, I just never paid attention to it like I did this time) that they work really hard to understand players and build relationships, which is easy to do when drafting a player. And it's especially easy to do once you have them in the club for several years. They value extending their own for that reason. They simply understand them, their work ethic, their teamwork, etc. In free agency, you really don't have a clue what type of player you are getting. You know what you see on film, and what little encounters you may have had. Maybe you scouted them hard in college, and interviewed in the draft process, but you still don't know the type of teammate and professional they are. 

That made a lot of sense to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Well, in a way, every player a team drafts, will potentially make them a contender.

But if we traded away 2 1st round picks and 2 second (if that was the cost) then NO, Marvin Harrison jr. wouldn't put us closer to becoming a contender imo. 

Of course he would be a massive WR weapon to our team, but the cost of such a trade, would not put us closer to becoming a contender, I would say it could set us back a bit, as we need the picks to plug holes elsewhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Holy Crap!    After 7 years you’ve learned nothing about Ballard.     :facepalm:

He probably wasn't trying to predict what Ballard is gonna do. We all know that there's a pretty high chance that he either stays at 15 put or trades back.

5 minutes ago, colts89 said:

He probably wasn't trying to predict what Ballard is gonna do. We all know that there's a pretty high chance that he either stays at 15 put or trades back.

Understood….  I’m sure he wasn’t predicting what Ballard would do.   But he certainly was saying what HE would do.  And it’s just so far divorced from reality it’s just mystifying.   And he has a very long history of these kind of predictions which almost never come to be.    Just saying.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2024 at 5:54 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Its not going to effect his draft stock 1 bit. They will do whatever they need to do with him at the pro day. Players usually do 1 or both of them. Obviously he chose to do the Pro day and we will get the answer there.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Its not going to effect his draft stock 1 bit. They will do whatever they need to do with him at the pro day. Players usually do 1 or both of them. Obviously he chose to do the Pro day and we will get the answer there.

He didn't just choose to do only Pro Day, he didn't inform teams in advance that he chose to do so and not the Combine. 

Even if he gets selected as #1 overall draft pick, and everyone thinks that's all okay, that kind of attitude will hurt him later.

Getting drafted highest or among the highest only matters until April 25th. Having a great career requires much more than just great talent and hard work, lot of character, teamwork and professionalism are needed to have a great career. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He didn't just choose to do only Pro Day, he didn't inform teams in advance that he chose to do so and not the Combine. 

Even if he gets selected as #1 overall draft pick, and everyone thinks that's all okay, that kind of attitude will hurt him later.

Getting drafted highest or among the highest only matters until April 25th. Having a great career requires much more than just great talent and hard work, lot of character, teamwork and professionalism are needed to have a great career. 

All he is going to do is damage control everything at his pro day. They are going to eat it up and all will be fine. Just watch and see. I think he knows what to do on the field. I've never heard a single negative thing about the kid before that combine. Whatever he says at the Pro Day I bet the media buys it.

5 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

A couple points of interest here

MHJ is not doing any testing Combine or Pro Day. Thats a bit new for me

According to this sports illustrated article Combine Officials already knew he wasn't going to talk on the podium.

"Harrison broke his silence by reposting a tweet on X, formerly known as Twitter, from Shane P. Hallam of Draft Countdown that implied combine officials knew conversations weren't going to happen."

However he did do some individual interviews directly with clubs. Basically he is dealing directly with clubs and leaving everything else to the film. I can't be mad at that.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/why-didnt-ohio-state-buckeyes-star-marvin-harrison-jr-speak-at-combine

On 3/9/2024 at 6:54 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He opened up a can of worms about himself.

Hes going to be drafted top 5 anyway.  Deion sanders did stuff like this and it didnt hurt him either.  I think Deion even showed up and then walked out on some teams saying he didnt have time for them lol

I get that people dont like this but it wont actually hurt him.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Hes going to be drafted top 5 anyway.  Deion sanders did stuff like this and it didnt hurt him either.  I think Deion even showed up and then walked out on some teams saying he didnt have time for them lol

I get that people dont like this but it wont actually hurt him.

It won't actually hurt him if he's that Elite.

I love when athletes do this, just because they will have to prove beyond the expectations for all these antics lol 

Deion did it, he played 2 sports and didn't care, he truly was busy with his life not to care about formalities.. let's see about Harrison Jr. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It won't actually hurt him if he's that Elite.

I love when athletes do this, just because they will have to prove beyond the expectations for all these antics lol 

Deion did it, he played 2 sports and didn't care, he truly was busy with his life not to care about formalities.. let's see about Harrison Jr. 

He is getting drafted early .  It really hasn't effected anything

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is getting drafted early .  It really hasn't effected anything

I already said many pages back that it may not affect his draft slot, but getting drafted very early is much different than having a great career, and talent alone doesn't get someone to both of these. 

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I already said many pages back that it may not affect his draft slot, but getting drafted very early is much different than having a great career, and talent alone doesn't get someone to both of these. 

His success in the NFL won't be affected by not attending the combine

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

His success in the NFL won't be affected by not attending the combine

I guess you didn't care to read my actual points which have been stated multiple times, and you're going on a tangent or you're acting like you're God and you know the future. That's good, as you should've already known that this discussion has reached its end.