Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Exciting times ahead. Key dates to know for Colts fans (MERGE)

csmopar

• w87r changed the title to Exciting times ahead. Key dates to know for Colts fans (MERGE)

Add Michael Thomas to the available wr list. Never really cared for him myself, but could Colts use him as a high risk/reward vet min guy!? Maybe as a 4th-5th depth wr depth guy!? I’d kick the tires!

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Justin Simmons of Denver.   Right now it’s a false alarm.   

Confirmed. There’s no news of the Colts signing him. Doesn’t mean we aren’t trying of course. 

On 2/18/2024 at 10:55 AM, richard pallo said:

Me too.  I also had a Mike Curtis poster on my wall.  His was the only poster I ever had on my wall.  Those were the good old days as they say.

I had John Mackey #88.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Jaylon Johnson just agreed to an extension with the Bears.  Now they will remove his tag and pick up more cap space.  If we were really that close with Pittman let’s hope Ballard does the same thing.  

"Picking up more cap space"depends on how his contract is structured. It (4 years 76 mill) averages 19 mill a year , which is similar to the tag number. Did you see the specifics of his contract and see what his cap hit is for 2024 ?

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

"Picking up more cap space"depends on how his contract is structured. It (4 years 76 mill) averages 19 mill a year , which is similar to the tag number. Did you see the specifics of his contract and see what his cap hit is for 2024 ?

No.  I was referencing a comment in the article reporting the signing stating that that is what the Bears will do.  Create more cap space.  The details aren’t out yet. That’s the norm when these big contracts are signed so I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen.  I fully expect the Colts to do the same thing.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No.  I was referencing a comment in the article reporting the signing stating that that is what the Bears will do.  Create more cap space.  The details aren’t out yet. That’s the norm when these big contracts are signed so I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen.  I fully expect the Colts to do the same thing.

I wouldn't expect the Bears to do that , but I could be wrong. Why would they need to create cap room when they had over 50 million with Johnson counting 19.8 against the cap. If anything , IMO, it would be prudent for them to front load the contract a bit. We'll revisit when we see the contract. Unless they want to create a huge splash in free agency , it makes no sense. Plus they probably will be trading their QB and replacing him with a QB on a rookie contract . 

15 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Indycar season starts this weekend, FA starts Monday, what a time to be alive. 

Sitting on a plane heading down to St. Pete as I'm reading this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Justin Simmons of Denver.   Right now it’s a false alarm.   

We NEED to get him, he is the guy who has picked Mahomes off 5 times in his career, the most of any safety, just like Bethea picked off Tom Brady in 2006, 2007, and 2009 (2008, Brady was out for the season in game 1, we played Matt Cassel):

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We NEED to get him, he is the guy who has picked Mahomes off 5 times in his career, the most of any safety, just like Bethea picked off Tom Brady in 2006, 2007, and 2009 (2008, Brady was out for the season in game 1, we played Matt Cassel):

How is he against the rest of the league though lol

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

How is he against the rest of the league though lol

Difficult to tell but based on PFF grades, he has been on the wrong end of the Broncos' W-L record lately:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/justin-simmons/10732?season=2019

He started off 2019 with 90.9 and has been in the 70s consistently except in 2023. That also had to do with the initial few games when they played a D that was very porous in scheme and then straightened things up later.

• Like 2

If we’re looking for a RB to back up JT in FA a solid back is available in Gus Edwards of the Ravens.  6’1” 238lbs who is 29 years old I believe.  He is a very good downhill bruising runner who might be a nice complement to Taylor and shouldn’t be expensive.  Watching him reminds me of Moss actually.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we’re looking for a RB to back up JT in FA a solid back is available in Gus Edwards of the Ravens.  6’1” 238lbs who is 29 years old I believe.  He is a very good downhill bruising runner who might be a nice complement to Taylor and shouldn’t be expensive.  Watching him reminds me of Moss actually.

Why would Gus be cheaper than Moss?  

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Difficult to tell but based on PFF grades, he has been on the wrong end of the Broncos' W-L record lately:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/justin-simmons/10732?season=2019

He started off 2019 with 90.9 and has been in the 70s consistently except in 2023. That also had to do with the initial few games when they played a D that was very porous in scheme and then straightened things up later.

Simmons is worth the money. 

I really wish we’d go after him or McKinney. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Simmons is worth the money. 

I really wish we’d go after him or McKinney. 

Simmons having played in a division with Mahomes and Herbert, and being more consistent than McKinney (McKinney PFF shot up from 57 to 80s during the contract year, gives me a little pause), makes me lean towards Simmons a bit.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Simmons having played in a division with Mahomes and Herbert, and being more consistent than McKinney (McKinney PFF shot up from 57 to 80s during the contract year, gives me a little pause), makes me lean towards Simmons a bit.

Only thing with Simmons is he’s 30+.

52 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would Gus be cheaper than Moss?  

Don’t know for sure of course but Spotrac has Gus’s market value as $1m less than Moss.  3.6m vs. 4.6m.   That doesn’t sound expensive for a backup running back.  Moss coming back would be nice of course.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Less than 72 hours to the start of FA and we have not yet signed one of our own.  Hmmm.

That's a bit concerning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Less than 72 hours to the start of FA and we have not yet signed one of our own.  Hmmm.

At first, I admittedly was concerned. Then I remembered that most of these guys were here and contributed to the losing season that was 2022 and then with the collapse of the 2023 season.  

we can’t say we want to upgrade our roster and then think we need to resign a majority of the guys who didn’t really play well or show growth. 

Outside of Stewart and Moore, the other FAs will be easily upgraded/replaced. Only other exception might be Zach Moss. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Only thing with Simmons is he’s 30+.

Might make a 2 year $30 million commitment more doable for Ballard than a 4 year $60 million then??

Didn't he do that for Justin Houston (though it is a different position)?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Might make a 2 year $30 million commitment more doable for Ballard than a 4 year $60 million then??

Didn't he do that for Justin Houston (though it is a different position)?

It's possible, I just think Ballard is looking for a long term answer, so if we brought in Simmons we'd almost certainly try and draft the guy to be his heir as well. McKinney would be a long term answer.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am really surprised Ballard hasn’t signed any of our big FA yet. We will see if any happen before Monday.

Maybe he just thinks they're all replaceable with upgrades in this free agency class......

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am really surprised Ballard hasn’t signed any of our big FA yet. We will see if any happen before Monday.

If I had to guess he probably put offers on the table for those he wanted to retain.  He had his numbers in mind.  If they sign before FA starts he’s happy and the player is as well.  If they don’t the Colts will move on to plan B when FA starts.  I suppose there could be a little wiggle room but time is running out.

8 hours ago, Crush22 said:

Sitting on a plane heading down to St. Pete as I'm reading this.

Enjoy! The wife and I just started to finalize all our trips to the track in May yesterday. The excitement is already building. 

1 hour ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Maybe he just thinks they're all replaceable with upgrades in this free agency class......

He might. You can’t keep everyone and if we can find upgrades it’s all good. As much as we love Grover, Moore, Blackmon maybe we can upgrade. Blackmon is the one I think we really need to bring back. Should be cheap too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Or they just haven't been released to the media yet.   

2 hours ago, atapcl said:

Jelani Woods looks healthy in postseason workout.

Yeah, I’m excited to see him healthy again. I still think he has a chance to be a playmaker for us, getting the year to focus on fixing his body mechanics to stop the hamstring injuries will hopefully keep him healthy. 

• Like 1