Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many games will AR miss in the 2024 season?

Myles

How many games will AR miss in the 2024 season?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will AR miss in the 2024 season?

51 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Jayden Daniels were there with the 15th pick I would maybe consider it. Daniels could run Steichen's offense similar to how Hurts did. Richardson needs to show he can stay healthy before we know he's the guy longterm. 

Yeah,   that's not happening 

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

About a quarter of the voters said 0 games, huh? Only on a fanboys board. Given Steichen’s offense and picking a big target to run it, there is no way AR doesn’t miss time. Hopefully Steichen figures out a way to eliminate unnecessary hits by adjusting his offense or else both guys’ careers will be short.

i said zero. imo ar did not just sit on the sidelines doing nothing , he was watching and learning from other qbs how to avoid injuries

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If Jayden Daniels were there with the 15th pick I would maybe consider it. Daniels could run Steichen's offense similar to how Hurts did. Richardson needs to show he can stay healthy before we know he's the guy longterm. 

They aren’t drafting a QB in the first round after taking Richardson last year.  Like it or not they married themselves to Richardson last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Because he’s still a huge question mark and hasn’t shown that he can stay healthy on top of that.

They aren’t going to give up on him being that after one season.  They aren’t drafting a QB in the first round in back to back years.  It would be dumb.  It means you are saying one of them is going to be a wasted draft pick because only one of them can play.  You also don’t develop two QBs at once.  There aren’t enough practice snaps to do that.  The smarter thing, and what they will do, is add a player who can help make the team better and contribute right away.  You don’t draft backups in the 1st round.  You draft guys who will start.  So if you take a QB in the first round you are pretty much giving up on Richardson.  The Colts aren’t going to do that.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

They are not and should not draft a QB in the first or second round.   I'd be fine with a 4th or later pick if the guy looks like a good backup.  

My only caveat on this is I think they have already been grooming Sam for that spot but his contract is up at the end of the year too.

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Here’s the issue…. 

If the Colts were to draft Jaden Daniels, and he’s running Steichen’s offense as you want,  how does Richardson improve?   How does he show he’s getting better?   

There aren’t enough snaps in practice for two 1st round quarterbacks to improve.   Do you see the conundrum your post creates?  

For better or worse,  the Colts hitched our wagon to Antony Richardson.   Odds are high it’ll stay that way for 2-3 more years.   And if it doesn’t work out, Ballard will get fired and the Colts will trade AR for whatever they can get.   It’ll be a new low point for the franchise. 

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know sometimes it gets really annoying in here, just laugh it off. I have learned too.

There is a general bias against the “athlete”/rushing QB no matter how much he shows in the passing game. It’s natural for that to be there given years of iron men in Favre, Peyton, Brady, Brees etc. that wowed us from the pocket, especially for a franchise that had Peyton and Luck.

But at least be honest about it and don’t come up with outlandish extrapolations based on a small sample space. 

• Like 1

So assuming you had odds attached to this…I would guess 0 and 9+ games would be the good values…like +1500 and +2000, respectively (making those up). 

And at the NFL level, we have only seen him fit one of these answers. 

But hopefully that’s not the case. It’s the NFL…it takes one hit or one bad step. 

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

So assuming you had odds attached to this…I would guess 0 and 9+ games would be the good values…like +1500 and +2000, respectively (making those up). 

And at the NFL level, we have only seen him fit one of these answers. 

But hopefully that’s not the case. It’s the NFL…it takes one hit or one bad step. 

Zero would be an interesting bet.  9+ games would have you rooting for a big injury and I think people wouldnt want to do that

It's the NFL and it's reality. It's not high school and it's not college. Running QBs will miss games. As a GM and/or a coach, you realize that when you make a decision which direction you want to pursue. Also, when they reach 29-30, they better have become a passer, because they lose the step or injuries have taken their toll and they aren't affective runners any longer. But here's hoping Richardson surprises many and becomes a much better NFL passer than he was in college.

2 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

It's the NFL and it's reality. It's not high school and it's not college. Running QBs will miss games. As a GM and/or a coach, you realize that when you make a decision which direction you want to pursue. Also, when they reach 29-30, they better have become a passer, because they lose the step or injuries have taken their toll and they aren't affective runners any longer. But here's hoping Richardson surprises many and becomes a much better NFL passer than he was in college.

It doesn’t have to be a running QB. Look at the QB that got injured this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

Ballard said at his year end news conference that AR is a much better passer than even he expected.  That he’s ahead of schedule as a passer. 

On 1/27/2024 at 4:38 PM, Happy2BeHere said:

Touché…why this thread was created is a head scratcher to me! 

Why does it bother you so?    It's just to gauge peoples thoughts.   The Colts have and are asking themselves the same question so that they can fill out the roster in the best way possible.  If the Colts let Minshew go and don't sign a good backup, we can assume that they feel AR will not miss much time.   

On 1/26/2024 at 11:25 AM, Smonroe said:

Also just curious- how many QBs that started the season played all the games?

Has to be less than half the league, right?

Off the top of my head, that I'm certain of, there were at least 17 teams that had a backup play this year. That's not counting backups of backups of backups like Minnesota.

Actually now that I think about it more in the AFC only the Bills, Chiefs, Ravens, and Dolphins didn't have a backup play. If that's right then 75% of AFC teams used a backup this year.

That's crazy.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Off the top of my head, that I'm certain of, there were at least 17 teams that had a backup play this year. That's not counting backups of backups of backups like Minnesota.

Actually now that I think about it more in the AFC only the Bills, Chiefs, Ravens, and Dolphins didn't have a backup play. If that's right then 75% of AFC teams used a backup this year.

That's crazy.

It is crazy.  The QB is the most protected position in the league.  But it's also one of the most vulnerable.  I watched the Quarterback series and the amount of punishment they take was evident.

That's why AR worries me with his style.  I said this over and over - I hope they coach him to play like Mahomes.  Run to find lanes to pass, run when it's wide open and slide.

But I feel like they're going to use him more like Lamar and Allen, with designed runs.  That's okay as long as he gets down quickly.  But in the heat of the game, he's going to try to run over an through people.  I'm surprised Allen and Lamar made it through the season.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, jvan1973 said:

Who was he trying to run over?    He had no chance making it to the sideline.   He could have slid I guess,  but not much opportunity to do that either

Thanks for the link.  I was finally able to watch the video.

He made a conscious decision to cut up the middle of the field (instead of to the sidelines) and made no effort to slide before tacklers had their hands on him.  He initiated contact with the defenders and they threw him to the ground.

He should have made an effort to run out of bounds instead of the middle of the field and slide if he couldn't make it out of bounds.

But you're right, it was a difficult play.

Bottom line, Mahommes for example keeps a space of 1-2 yards around him and if any defender gets in that space, he is running out of bounds or sliding.

On 1/26/2024 at 10:39 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s the issue…. 

If the Colts were to draft Jaden Daniels, and he’s running Steichen’s offense as you want,  how does Richardson improve?   How does he show he’s getting better?   

There aren’t enough snaps in practice for two 1st round quarterbacks to improve.   Do you see the conundrum your post creates?  

For better or worse,  the Colts hitched our wagon to Antony Richardson.   Odds are high it’ll stay that way for 2-3 more years.   And if it doesn’t work out, Ballard will get fired and the Colts will trade AR for whatever they can get.   It’ll be a new low point for the franchise. 

Not an issue if Richardson  gets hurt again and Daniel's comes in and plays lights out you can trade Richardson.  If Richardson  proves he can stay healthy  you can trade Daniel's later

On 1/27/2024 at 3:39 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard said at his year end news conference that AR is a much better passer than even he expected.  That he’s ahead of schedule as a passer. 

That being said I'd prefer to draft wr 1st perhaps cb or ol in 2 and maybe lb or wr in 3

• Like 1

I feel like a wr like nabors, Brian Thomas Jr would take the offense to the next level. We need a wr that is a threat to score every play. More explosion with great route running and the ability  to catch. I like Coleman to because he makes ridiculous  catches but he isn't the speed threat we need

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

I feel like a wr like nabors, Brian Thomas Jr would take the offense to the next level. We need a wr that is a threat to score every play. More explosion with great route running and the ability  to catch. I like Coleman to because he makes ridiculous  catches but he isn't the speed threat we need

I think adding a WR would be great but Downs is going to be this guy. He is do much like Hilton.

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Not an issue if Richardson  gets hurt again and Daniel's comes in and plays lights out you can trade Richardson.  If Richardson  proves he can stay healthy  you can trade Daniel's later

You don’t take another QB that high. From all reports Daniel’s will probably go top ten.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think adding a WR would be great but Downs is going to be this guy. He is do much like Hilton.

You don’t take another QB that high. From all reports Daniel’s will probably go top ten.

Downs will be good but we need one more guy that is a legit number one. If we get a first round wr to pair with Pittman  and downs and have pierce as the four I'd  feel alot better  about the wr corp

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Draft the qb from Michigan  in the 2nd either way we need a legit backup that can throw to every area of the field in case minshew is gone and Richardson  can't  stay healthy 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 11:59 AM, BlackTiger said:

Zero would be an interesting bet.  9+ games would have you rooting for a big injury and I think people wouldnt want to do that

Nobody would want to do that I agree. But I was just looking at it from an odds standpoint. Most likely it's going to be 1-2 games with how the NFL is with concussions and the extra game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Draft the qb from Michigan  in the 2nd either way we need a legit backup that can throw to every area of the field in case minshew is gone and Richardson  can't  stay healthy 

Completely agree. I would be happy with getting McCarthy round 2 as a backup to Richardson and if he gets injured again. And if Richardson shows he could stay healthy JJ would be a very good trade asset if he shows good promise.