Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 on 1 with AR

Was JUST about to post this lol.

I came away from that short interview with a feeling that the injury humbled him. Made him realize that even though he is absurdly gifted he still has to play smart, protect himself and think about the team as a whole himself when making decisions. 

I loved how he said seeing CJ’s success this year makes him want to be an even BETTER version of himself.

if he can stay healthy….Watch out. Him a Shane will be cooking in 2024 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So nice to hear from him. I can’t believe we have to wait 8 months.

Eight months for him to better learn how to protect himself, slide properly and overall improve his game. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I would love to see an interview like Luck had with Gruden.  These interviews are meaningless really

What don't you like about it? What would you have asked that was not asked?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What don't you like about it? What would you have asked that was not asked?

College vs NFL coverages.    Break down film and have him call out the coverage.  Gruden used to to that with all the rookie qbs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Eight months for him to better learn how to protect himself, slide properly and overall improve his game. Looking forward to it. 

I think they should get rid of the designed qb run plays or at least limit them. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think they should get rid of the designed qb run plays or at least limit them. 

Definitely need to limit them for sure. If he’s going to run, rather it be a designed run or just a scramble, dudes got to take it to the outside and limit the chance of a big hit, or just slide. I only want to see him run down the middle if it’s just a wide open lane and he knows he won’t get blown up. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I agree, there should always be a pass option to keep the defense on their heels instead of going for the big hit, more rollouts sure but no designed QB runs aside from QB sneak

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I wouldnt stop calling runs with him, that could be a good weapon for the team.  He took some big hits that didnt have to be that bad

Yeah. The hit vs the Titans he could of slid and still have gained 3-4 yards on 1st down. It's still a positive play. The hit vs the Texans he could of slid and we'd still be at 1st and goal around the 5 yard line. He has to try and avoid the hits where the defensive player has a full head of momentum because they're essentially looking to hurt him with a clean hit. I hope his off-season is full of studying Lamar Jackson tape from this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

You do that you will take away what makes him special.  He has to learn to protect himself.  

I disagree, at least when i say no design QB runs. I'm not saying he shouldn't run ever, and for me it's not a "ohh he's gonna get injured if he runs" thing, I just think there should always be a pass option in the play because it makes the defense hesitate by deciding if they want to stay in coverage or play the run. Which with ARs athleticism gives him an extra step to break one for a big gain.

• Like 1

AR: " I was thinking about the future and all the super bowls we are gonna win" 

That quote was just a dumb statement or comment to make, when he couldn't even finish his rookie season healthy.

The worst part is he's not even joking and honestly believe that the colts will win multiple super bowls with him as QB, which of course is very positive, though also very naive attitude to have.

Someone wrote that the injury humbled him, nah not really.

The quote above is exactly one of the reasons why I don't believe in Anthony Richardson, as he strikes me as a person that thinks he live on a pink cloud instead of keeping his feed on the ground.

Could the colts win multiple super bowls in the future, of course we could, but a statement like this is as cringe as when Lebron the phony goat aka the chokster, told reporters that Miami Heat would win 7-8 NBA championships with their new big three.

We all know how that ended.

AR simply needs to prove he can stay healthy before even thinking about how many super bowls he's going to win with the colts. Because a dumb comment like the one he gave in the interview is for me an indication that he has megalomania. 

To compare with other QB´s in the NFL I have listened to interviews with CJ Stroud, Joe Burrow, Mahomes and Josh Allen and they seems to be more grounded and always have a more realistic mindset than AR in their interviews.

I saw an interview with CJ Stroud after the colts game, where he was asked about if he believed that the Texans could go all the way and win the Super Bowl, to which he answered: " Well, we have just made the playoffs and now we are going to focus on the next game. We need to stay focused and clean up our game and I have to play better. We take one game at the time and then well see. But im glad we made the playoffs.

That is just the right mindset and why I think CJ Stroud is legit and have a very bright future ahead of him.

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

That quote was just a dumb statement or comment to make, when he couldn't even finish his rookie season healthy.

The worst part is he's not even joking and honestly believe that the colts will win multiple super bowls with him as QB, which of course is very positive, though also very naive attitude to have.

The quote above is exactly one of the reasons why I don't believe in Anthony Richardson, as he strikes me as a person that thinks he live on a pink cloud instead of keeping his feed on the ground.

Could the colts win multiple super bowls in the future, of course we could, but a statement like this is as cringe as when Lebron the phony goat aka the chokster, told reporters that Miami Heat would win 7-8 NBA championships with their new big three.

AR simply needs to prove he can stay healthy before even thinking about how many super bowls he's going to win with the colts. Because a dumb comment like the one he gave in the interview is for me an indication that he has megalomania. 

To compare with other QB´s in the NFL I have listened to interviews with CJ Stroud, Joe Burrow, Mahomes and Josh Allen and they seems to be more grounded and always have a more realistic mindset than AR in their interviews.

I saw an interview with CJ Stroud after the colts game, where he was asked about if he believed that the Texans could go all the way and win the Super Bowl, to which he answered: " Well, we have just made the playoffs and now we are going to focus on the next game. We need to stay focused and clean up our game and I have to play better. We take one game at the time and then well see. But im glad we made the playoffs.

That is just the right mindset and why I think CJ Stroud is legit and have a very bright future ahead of him.

I don't see anything wrong at all with what AR said. He is a very mature down to earth kid. He has incredible confidence that he can be great and the Colts can win SBs with him. I doubt he being rocky, it is called confidence. I would rather have that on my team than a QB that doubts himself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

confused-drew-scanlon-blinking-x6ae0pugz

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47o0bl83cnwyxwl11fiu

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

agreed, I’m fine with him scrambling if the opportunity is there.  Maybe two to three designed runs.  Nothing more

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Was it an arrogant thing for Peyton to say “if you don’t draft me I’m going to kick your * for the next 15 years”

ARs season was over. CJs season is not over. They’re in different places right now. CJ is staying focused, AR can dream. 

I get your point but I think it’s irrelevant. The NFL humbles everyone at some point or another. 

• Like 2

I am kind of hoping that him getting injured this year was the best thing for him. He really needed to sit and get the game down mentally but he is far to talented to sit. So he got forced to sit but hopefully it will allow him to become more cerebral. He wasn't finishing reads early on so hopefully being around the offense all season will have him set up well for next year. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Two different situations. CJ is talking from a current perspective. Of course he has a "one game at a time" mentality right now. AR is talking about going from the top of the mountain to the deep valley of emotions in a short period of time some 3-4 months later. They are both men of God. No worries, AR is grounded. This very thought crossed my mind this weekend. All this media hype putting the well deserved spotlight on CJ is just going to fuel AR to be better. Fierce competition will elevate them both.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Precisely, Chloe.  I just re-listened to the statement.  He said "want to win."

You know how it is with some people in here, it gets goofy once the offseason hits because now it's boring. We go from basically 9 playoff games in a row which had everyone on edge = (since were 3-5) to AR being a cocky kid/making dumb statements and Stroud being the greatest kid in the world chuckling homer simpson GIF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think it’s funny when he said he can’t let Stroud win again.   These two are going to be fun watching the next 5-10 years.

AR's ability to scramble, extend plays and run will make the running game and passing game even more effective.  The other teams will have to account for all of AR's abilities and not look to concentrate on the run game and make Minshew beat you, who can't scramble and extend enough.  AR won't have all the sacks and pressures....

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I disagree, at least when i say no design QB runs. I'm not saying he shouldn't run ever, and for me it's not a "ohh he's gonna get injured if he runs" thing, I just think there should always be a pass option in the play because it makes the defense hesitate by deciding if they want to stay in coverage or play the run. Which with ARs athleticism gives him an extra step to break one for a big gain.

Yeah that’s what a RPO is and that’s what the Colts are already running.  So it’s non issue.  I was responding to the person who said they should take away all the QB runs.

In the time AR did play, he looked above average passing from the pocket (respectable) and his threat to run will help the offense out bigtime. He will be ok playing the Minshew role but his ability to take off and run if nobody is open will be the difference in us winning 1 or 2 more games. He just needs to pick and choose when he runs, if nothing is there, throw it away and don't take a hit. 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the time AR did play, he looked above average passing from the pocket (respectable) and his threat to run will help the offense out bigtime. He will be ok playing the Minshew role but his ability to take off and run if nobody is open will be the difference in us winning 1 or 2 more games. He just needs to pick and choose when he runs, if nothing is there, throw it away and don't take a hit. 

if he can manage to stay healthy his will learn when those moments are to take or not. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The other thing is from Mahomes to Lamar to Josh Allen, all of them have adapted over time to slide once they have done enough with their QB run to get the first down. That’s what AR needs to learn in his game. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The other thing is from Mahomes to Lamar to Josh Allen, all of them have adapted over time to slide once they have done enough with their QB run to get the first down. That’s what AR needs to learn in his game. 

He does.  To Me, Mahomes is the gold standard.  He great at scrambling but doesn't take near the amount of hits that Lamar or Allen take.   

This is the first time in three years that Lamar has played more than 12 games.  So he's doing better.  Allen still seems to be taking hits regularly.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s all he was doing before.

he had 25 rushing attempts in 4 games.  That’s about 6 per game.  Big difference from 2 to 3 a game.  What I’m saying is the designed runs should be used to catch the defense off guard.  Meaning once they’ve gotten a healthy dose of JT out of the shotgun, an option maybe once a quarter wouldn’t hurt.  Combine that with broken play scrambles (when there’s space to do so) and I think that would GREATLY limit the amount of contact he gets. 

35 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

he had 25 rushing attempts in 4 games.  That’s about 6 per game.  Big difference from 2 to 3 a game.  What I’m saying is the designed runs should be used to catch the defense off guard.  Meaning once they’ve gotten a healthy dose of JT out of the shotgun, an option maybe once a quarter wouldn’t hurt.  Combine that with broken play scrambles (when there’s space to do so) and I think that would GREATLY limit the amount of contact he gets. 

Several of those 25 were scrambles.

47 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Several of those 25 were scrambles.

I know, hence why I emphasized scrambles when the space is there.  If the space isn’t there, throw the ball away.  But if the space is there, go get and step out of bounds.  And don’t fight for the extra yard unless it’s needed in a pivotal moment.  And if he has to scramble even more then that means he’s either not seeing the field or management failed in putting talent around him. 

to put it in perspective, Lamar had 148 this year.  That’s about 9/game.  AR had 25 (6/game) and out of the 4 games he played he finished 2 (counting the jax game since he could’ve finished it but was held out).  So his avg rushes per game could’ve been much higher.  

All in all, what I’m saying if the defense is playing back and the space is then eat it up safely, don’t put him in situations where he’s getting contacted often.  The designed runs and scrambles should be opportunistic.