Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Panthers post game reaction

GoColts8818

Mentioned it in the game day thread but worth repeating.

Panthers sold out to stop the run, knowing we wanted to milk the clock. That’s leaving us with 3rd and long. Forcing a bad situation for a player who has his favorite target missing.

He didn’t turn the ball over. Hes not lighting it on fire but he did what we asked him to do, which is stop the turnovers.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Have at it as the Colts equal last year’s win total.

This team may not have too much to look forward to in regards to the postseason, but it's still way better football being played then what we had last year.

• Like 9

Positives:

Kenny freaking Moore.  Two pick 6’s and shut down the Panthers best WR who had a huge streak of games with 7 catches or more that Kenny broke.  He also had a key stop on a young scramble early.  Kenny Moore 14, rest of the Colts 13, Panthers 13.

Buckner.  The defense had been embarrassed the past couple of weeks.  This is what you hope happens when that happens.  Your leaders step up and lead the turn around.  
Shaq.  Lead the team with 10 tackles, seven solo.  Still not making the big plays but this was his best game of the year.  
Taylor continues to look like his old self, scored the Colts lone offensive TD of the game.

Olubi.  He got a chance to prove his high grade of defense wasn’t just a fluke due to limited smaps and came up with a big pick.  
Matt Gay.  Career long 57 yarder outdoors.  Anyone want to complain about Ballard signing him still?

Jones.   Continues to be rock solid to good on the corner.  
Turnover battle.  Colts won that battle 3 to 1 and it was the difference in the game.  Also the Colts cashed in on two of them which has been an issue this year.  

Pittman.  Caught all 8 of his targets.

Rigo.  61 yard punt and three of five inside the 20.

Negatives:

Second half offense.  Third straight week we’ve seen teams adjust after halftime to take away the run and say beat us if you can throwing.  The Colts had no answer.  I fully expect that’s how New England will start next week.  The Colts had better figure out something.

Minshew.  Had some extremely ugly passes today so it’s not all on the WRs.  More than once he had wide open guys and just couldn’t even get it close to them.

Gus’s prevent defense.  Gus you can’t get beat deep inside the five yard line.  Also, you play all game scared to get beat deep only to get beat deep.

Lack of discipline.  Carolina is also extremely undisciplined so it wasn’t as big of a factor this week but the Colts still commit too many just dumb penalties, especially with false starts and jumping offsides which is just mental focus.  
Freeland.  Colts need Smith back ASAP.  Freeland just isn’t ready yet.  
Tackling.  Colts have been lazy at tackling this year and it shows up every game.  It’s not all on defense either.  Todays biggest example came on special teams.  So it’s something Shane needs to make a priority.

McKinze:  I hope the Colts draft a WR just so he’s gone at season’s end.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wins are always nice, but this was a stinker by both teams on both sides of the ball.  Our D looked okay, but Young was so bad its really hard to tell.

But this forum will get all giddy by the defences performances.  Man, they play trash qbss thr rest of the way except for Stroud and Burrows. I wish we could, but no team would, have the teams draft grades on these qbs. Remember, Irsay said Richardson was their guy even at number one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

But this forum will get all giddy by the defences performances.  Man, they play trash qbss thr rest of the way except for Stroud and Burrows. I wish we could, but no team would, have the teams draft grades on these qbs. Remember, Irsay said Richardson was their guy even at number one.

I think it was @csmoparwho said that this past draft's QB analysis by the pundits was just really bad. 

I think they fell in love with whichever QBs projected to look the most like Mahomes and simply ignored some basic stuff.

• Thanks 1

The Good

• Moore! What a game he had!
  • DeFo had a good game. 
  • Leonard led the team in tackles. Not his former maniac level with the turnovers, but good. 
  • Blackmon had some pretty good actions on a couple of run plays. 
  • JT had some good plays on offense, but beyond that…

The Bad

• … the offense was really bad. We SO needed Downs.
  • I hate our prevent defense with a passion. 
  • Baker is still a liability even if he didn’t get picked on as much today. 
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My main take from this game is, winning ugly even feels great. It is hard to win the NFL. Panthers beat the Texans last week and Stroud is by far the best rookie QB IMO.

You gotta have an independent mind though because watching haters can dampen even a win

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He looks bad. Can’t see the middle of the field.

I remember when Baker Mayfield was a draft prospect and there was a lot of talk about whoever drafted him needing to make sure to prioritize scheming out of pocket launch points to help minimize his height being an issue with passing down the middle of the field. Young probably could benefit from that. Minshew too to be honest... 

• Like 2

We did shut Thielan down which was nice.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I remember when Baker Mayfield was a draft prospect and there was a lot of talk about whoever drafted him needing to make sure to prioritize scheming out of pocket launch points to help minimize his height being an issue with passing down the middle of the field. Young probably could benefit from that. Minshew too to be honest... 

Minshew has looked better when rolling out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That was like watching paint dry. If panthers made the offense look like that I can’t imagine what pats d will do. Their defense is actually good.

Frank will take a lot of heat and I don't think he will last much longer. It appeared that Young had everything a franchise qb needed but size was the only issue. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but he is lacking more than height.