Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Irsay: AR OUT for SEASON

csmopar

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Per nfl dot com, Irsay says AR out for season

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-qb-anthony-richardson-will-probably-have-season-ending-sho

will be probably be having surgery 

figured this warranted it’s own thread

Maybe we should have drafted  levis in the second  to go along with Richardson  like irsay said lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

First there were rumors that the Colts were trying to force Anthony to play this season still and get him hurt worse. Now there's the idea that Irsay is deciding for Anthony that he needs surgery? 

Obviously  we are turning  him into an android  so he can be injury free the rest of his career lol

Irsay used the word "PROBABLY" - aka - NO DECISION has been made at this time.

The Colts are doing their due diligence by getting information from a number of sources to make the very best possible decision for Anthony Richardson and his long-term health.

Having had this matter explained by ESPN's group of analysts - including Jeff Saturday & Pat McAfee - this is still a fluid situation and information is still being gleaned.

They should have sat him for year one.  For multiple reasons but chiefly among them this is a big boy league and his best trait is something that will get him hurt.  Coaches will use that best trait plain and simple, because they want to win games or their own standing is at risk.  And if you look at the shelf life of RBs you can see a guy who runs too much has a good chance to not last very long.

When you draft a QB high you want that player to be your cornerstone.  So the best play would have been to sit him year one and make him run the scout team and string together drives with minimal running.  During that first year he learns the offense and works on running to buy time in the backfield and keeping his eyes downfield.  As the season goes on if he reaches the point where he can't be stopped in practice then you know you got your guy like the Chiefs did with Mahomes.  That would have been ideal for this player I think.  Because he has to work on his accuracy too, which is very difficult to fix at this level.

So this could end up being a blessing in disguise from that perspective of him getting the time he needs to fully master the offense.  If they decide to sit him then the coach has to solve his issues without running the rook into the teeth of defenders like a round 6 running back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

They should have sat him for year one.  For multiple reasons but chiefly among them this is a big boy league and his best trait is something that will get him hurt.  Coaches will use that best trait plain and simple, because they want to win games or their own standing is at risk.  And if you look at the shelf life of RBs you can see a guy who runs too much has a good chance to not last very long.

When you draft a QB high you want that player to be your cornerstone.  So the best play would have been to sit him year one and make him run the scout team and string together drives with minimal running.  During that first year he learns the offense and works on running to buy time in the backfield and keeping his eyes downfield.  As the season goes on if he reaches the point where he can't be stopped in practice then you know you got your guy like the Chiefs did with Mahomes.  That would have been ideal for this player I think.  Because he has to work on his accuracy too, which is very difficult to fix at this level.

So this could end up being a blessing in disguise from that perspective of him getting the time he needs to fully master the offense.  If they decide to sit him then the coach has to solve his issues without running the rook into the teeth of defenders like a round 6 running back.

Yea but here’s the thing, he’s not gonna be able to practice. We don’t k ow the extent of the Injury and the timetable for recovery. If they’re suggesting it’s a shutdown for the remainder of the year then one has to assume that he likely won’t be engaged in any physical activity outside of rehab. So there goes the whole “practice /scout team thing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

There seem to be quite a few Drs on here so I'll ask.....shouldn't they operate ASAP before scar tissue forms?

If you allow some swelling to reduce and get multiple opinions by doctors you have have a better chance to make a better decision which is best for the player. With the swelling minimal a MRI gets a better reading. 

• Like 3

Maybe the shoulder needed some clean up since he injured the same shoulder in 2019?

I rather have 100% repaired shoulder than “hopefully it heals correctly”. Plus hopefully that was the last time he had to play on the Lucas Oil turf.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan43 said:

Maybe the shoulder needed some clean up since he injured the same shoulder in 2019?

I rather have 100% repaired shoulder than “hopefully it heals correctly”. Plus hopefully that was the last time he had to play on the Lucas Oil turf.

Yeah he had a knee injury that wasn’t taken care of correctly then had to go get it fixed right. It could be he injured it again because it didn’t heal corrrctly.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

"anticipate a full recovery"

I would sure hope so... 

it’s not that big of a surgery or recovery.  4 to 6 months. He will be ready by OTA.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

If you allow some swelling to reduce and get multiple opinions by doctors you have have a better chance to make a better decision which is best for the player. With the swelling minimal a MRI gets a better reading. 

You dumbed it down very nicely 👌

On 10/17/2023 at 9:50 AM, RollerColt said:

First there were rumors that the Colts were trying to force Anthony to play this season still and get him hurt worse. Now there's the idea that Irsay is deciding for Anthony that he needs surgery? 

this is why people need to read articles before commenting on them.  nothing in the article says, suggests nor implies that Irsay is deciding anything for Anthony.

On 10/17/2023 at 9:22 AM, DougDew said:

Yeah.  I would think that the HC talks about player availability.  He does from week to week, so I don't know why he would not be the one communicating all injuries of players to the media.

Irsay doing it makes it sound like he decided it.  Meddled. I'm not saying that he did meddle, but its a weird way to communicate to the media, IMO.

Um, what?  how so? 

45 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well there it is officially.  Bummer.  Oh well hopefully Minshew can give us some fun games like the Ravens game (and I expect he will) and it won’t be last year 2.0.  Get your draft pick and if it’s high enough to get Marvin Jr so be it.  If not lots of other really good corners and WRs in this draft expected to go in the teens.  There is always the trade back option too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

There seem to be quite a few Drs on here so I'll ask.....shouldn't they operate ASAP before scar tissue forms?

hey you didn't even have to wait that long...see below

32 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah he had a knee injury that wasn’t taken care of correctly then had to go get it fixed right. It could be he injured it again because it didn’t heal corrrctly.

it’s not that big of a surgery or recovery.  4 to 6 months. He will be ready by OTA.

Thank you for your expert medical analysis.

• Like 1

This isn't the worst news.  We got to see his potential.  i'm sure he will recover and be ready for 2024, assuming he doesn't use AL's surgeon!  lol.   

Minshew madness for the rest of the year.  He's a game manager.  We have a decent defense and a potentially strong ground game.  Hopefully we have a lot of close games and pull out some victories.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

This is so depressing, but it is what it is. I just want him healthy and ready for next season. 

Also, JIM. PLEASE replace that concrete turf and get something better. We can’t have this crap happening anymore. 

there have already been multiple announcements that the turf will be replaced this next offseason

16 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

This is so depressing, but it is what it is. I just want him healthy and ready for next season. 

Also, JIM. PLEASE replace that concrete turf and get something better. We can’t have this crap happening anymore. 

They are replacing the turf but there is only so much they can do.  Lucas Oil Stadium was not designed with drainage and wasn’t designed to roll a field in and out of the stadium so there isn’t really a way to put down real grass.  So it will always be artificial turf on top of concrete.

Also the way AR was hurt probably would have happened on natural grass as well as artificial turf.  It was from a really big guy landing on him with all his weight.  That’s going to do damage no matter what you are landing on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

This isn't the worst news.  We got to see his potential.  i'm sure he will recover and be ready for 2024, assuming he doesn't use AL's surgeon!  lol.   

Minshew madness for the rest of the year.  He's a game manager.  We have a decent defense and a potentially strong ground game.  Hopefully we have a lot of close games and pull out some victories.   

Richardson does not have the same injury as Luck. The issue with Andrew is he decided to keep playing and hurt it worse instead of just getting his labrum fixed right away.

44 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well there it is officially.  Bummer.  Oh well hopefully Minshew can give us some fun games like the Ravens game (and I expect he will) and it won’t be last year 2.0.  Get your draft pick and if it’s high enough to get Marvin Jr so be it.  If not lots of other really good corners and WRs in this draft expected to go in the teens.  There is always the trade back option too.

Holy crap ... it's just so depressing talking about draft picks already 🤣. Then training camp?! We just got through training camp.. I gotta wait what feels like forever just to open up my pool again .. then I'll be close to shutting it down before we get to see our new shiny QB.

Poop.

Alright I'm going back to work..

Sad Arrested Development GIF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Holy crap ... it's just so depressing talking about draft picks already 🤣. Then training camp?! We just got through training camp.. I gotta wait what feels like forever just to open up my pool again .. then I'll be close to shutting it down before we get to see our new shiny QB.

Poop.

Alright I'm going back to work..

Sad Arrested Development GIF

That’s why I am hoping Minshew can give us some fun Sundays.

31 minutes ago, J@son said:

there have already been multiple announcements that the turf will be replaced this next offseason

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They are replacing the turf but there is only so much they can do.  Lucas Oil Stadium was not designed with drainage and wasn’t designed to roll a field in and out of the stadium so there isn’t really a way to put down real grass.  So it will always be artificial turf on top of concrete.

Also the way AR was hurt probably would have happened on natural grass as well as artificial turf.  It was from a really big guy landing on him with all his weight.  That’s going to do damage no matter what you are landing on.

Yeah, I know. Just hope he does literally everything possible to make it better than what it is now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yeah, I know. Just hope he does literally everything possible to make it better than what it is now. 

I am sure he will but knowing how Lucas Oil Stadium is run it might not be up to him (although his voice will probably carry a lot of weight).  The Colts are technically a tenet and the Capital Improvement Board runs the stadium because the city owns it.  So it’s up to the Capital Improvement Board what field they get.  Still I am sure the Owner of tenet it was built for has influence over their decision.  

58 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I read this morning that Lucas Oil WILL get a new and improved surface in time for the 24 season.    So you’ll get your wish!   :thmup:

42 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson does not have the same injury as Luck. The issue with Andrew is he decided to keep playing and hurt it worse instead of just getting his labrum fixed right away.

I know, i know.  i was just kidding.