Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Irsay: AR OUT for SEASON

csmopar

On 10/17/2023 at 8:55 PM, Boondoggle said:

They should have sat him for year one.  For multiple reasons but chiefly among them this is a big boy league and his best trait is something that will get him hurt.  Coaches will use that best trait plain and simple, because they want to win games or their own standing is at risk.  And if you look at the shelf life of RBs you can see a guy who runs too much has a good chance to not last very long.

When you draft a QB high you want that player to be your cornerstone.  So the best play would have been to sit him year one and make him run the scout team and string together drives with minimal running.  During that first year he learns the offense and works on running to buy time in the backfield and keeping his eyes downfield.  As the season goes on if he reaches the point where he can't be stopped in practice then you know you got your guy like the Chiefs did with Mahomes.  That would have been ideal for this player I think.  Because he has to work on his accuracy too, which is very difficult to fix at this level.

So this could end up being a blessing in disguise from that perspective of him getting the time he needs to fully master the offense.  If they decide to sit him then the coach has to solve his issues without running the rook into the teeth of defenders like a round 6 running back.

Seems like we need to decide if we want a long term QB or a short term RB.  I am fine with an athletic qb that can run at times.  But even Hurts is protecting himself more now.  

On 10/19/2023 at 10:57 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This the 1st year in a while where I have watched college football closely. I used to watch it all the time in the 80's and 90's and really up until we drafted we Luck. I will say this with a straight face, I have watched several games from the Pac-12 and Caleb doesn't look as good as Michael Penix or Bo Nix. I am not saying those guys will be better Pro's but they have looked better from a passing point in a Pro Style offense even. Washington and Oregon both look like Pro teams with those guys at QB.

When I was a kid I used to watch tons of college football. In fact I didn't like when some Bowl games were on at the same time.....so I then started connecting the portable tv next to the regular tv and watch multiple games at the same time. In fact I entered National pick'em contest "Beat the Experts" and won first prize $100 one week and multiple times won "I beat the experts" Tee Shirts. LoL

Reminds me of the saying "Youth is wasted on the young". LoL

I have outgrown that and now watch just a little bit of college. But I have seen Caleb and Drake and think they are can't miss NFL stars, especially Caleb. But I haven't seen Penix or Nix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But I have seen Caleb and Drake and think they are can't miss NFL stars, especially Caleb. 

You might be right.

But lots of can't miss starters have failed.

Its the nature of the draft. There is risk when you choose anyone.