Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

51 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

So if you sign Taylor to an extension then you need to sign Pittman too.

It makes no sense to reward Taylor for holding out and faking injury and then to leave Pittman out in the cold.

Pittman has suited up every game and deserves a contract first before Taylor does.

I would sign Pittman before Taylor 

Both will be signed, that is why 200 pages of threads have been a waste of time here  The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Taylor is eligible to start practicing Monday. It’s up to the team when to actually activate him to the roster. So he could go through a week or two of practice before activating him. My guess he will be practicing next Wed.

Hopefully he starts practicing sooner rather than later, because he hasn't had a single practice under the new offense so he may not play for a couple weeks due to that. A good example is Brents who was injured during camp and missed two weeks just to learn and catch up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/new-shocking-details-revealed-about-jonathan-taylor-s-colts-future/ar-AA1hiuJj

New Shocking Details Revealed About Jonathan Taylor’s Colts’ Future

...Running back Jonathan Taylor is eligible to return to the lineup in Week 5, as he had to miss the first four games because he was on the PUP List coming out of training camp. He is expected to not only be in the lineup for the Colts but also stick with the franchise for the long term.

According to a former NFL executive who spoke to NFL Analysis Network, Taylor isn’t going anywhere. The executive revealed that Indianapolis had no plans to actually trade their star running back and had wanted to keep him the whole time.

“The Colts have never wanted to trade Jonathan Taylor. In fact, they are still planning to sign him long-term. All they want to do is make sure he’s healthy and capable of being the version of Taylor from two years ago in Shane Steichen’s offense. He’ll remain in Indianapolis.”...

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/new-shocking-details-revealed-about-jonathan-taylor-s-colts-future/ar-AA1hiuJj

New Shocking Details Revealed About Jonathan Taylor’s Colts’ Future

...Running back Jonathan Taylor is eligible to return to the lineup in Week 5, as he had to miss the first four games because he was on the PUP List coming out of training camp. He is expected to not only be in the lineup for the Colts but also stick with the franchise for the long term.

According to a former NFL executive who spoke to NFL Analysis Network, Taylor isn’t going anywhere. The executive revealed that Indianapolis had no plans to actually trade their star running back and had wanted to keep him the whole time.

“The Colts have never wanted to trade Jonathan Taylor. In fact, they are still planning to sign him long-term. All they want to do is make sure he’s healthy and capable of being the version of Taylor from two years ago in Shane Steichen’s offense. He’ll remain in Indianapolis.”...

When i see a title that says "New shocking details revealed", i know instantly that it is click bait and based on nothing of any real substance.

"According to a former nfl executive who spoke to NFL Analysis Network." Yeah.... sure.... This couldve just been someone talking to someone and he said "if it were me running that team, he wouldnt go anywhere. I'd have had no intention of trading him and i'd sign him long term once he showed me he was healthy." And then you build your clickbait article around something that vague.... if there even WAS a former NFL executive who said that and it wasnt all fabricated in the first place.

Nothing new here, just a headline. Things are exactly as they were a couple weeks ago, and that's to be expected since there are no material changes in the situation. 

JT wants to be paid, the Colts want to see that he can still perform. There's been no movement in either direction, because he still hasn't played. 

Until next Tuesday, there's probably nothing to talk about.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Personally I hope we are able to trade Taylor. I don’t want the dude on the team. We can roll with Moss.

Sad comment really.  You don’t want him on the team because he wants to be paid.  They all want to be paid.  He took a path most of us are not happy about but it is what it is.  I don’t begrudge him for that.  He followed the LaMar Jackson path.  Somehow it worked out for him and the Ravens.  It could still work out similarly for the Colts.  They are both superstars.  But if it doesn’t it doesn’t. I think most fans would like him to stay and play this year and get him resigned.  He hasn’t done anything to deserve hate from the fans.  This situation is just business in the NFL.  Both sides know it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

He’s gonna have to play to get paid. Period. And at first, for the Colts. Nobody is trading for a guy with a balky ankle. And Taylor can’t prove he’s healthy unless he plays. 

He’s in a no win situation for this year. He put himself there with his holdout and faux ankle injury. Now he has to play to show he’s healthy. And it’s getting to the stage of the season where a team trading for him  cannot expect a productive player for several weeks after making a trade (get into game shape and learn the system).  That’s a full 1/3+ of the season already lost. I don’t see a trade happening at this point unless the Colts decide to give him away. And they won’t do that, if for no other reason than to show they will stand their ground on contracts. 

Meaning Taylor is a Colt for this season like it or not. If he underproduces he kills his market. So he has to ball out and show he’s worth a big contract. With Moss now the starter, Taylor will likely be in a backfield by committee situation  the rest of the year even if he gets more snaps than Moss. 

So…. Taylor will need to play his tail off every chance he gets. He can’t afford to be injured; he can’t afford bad games. He’s put himself in a tough spot with the Colts holding all the cards. 

The next few weeks will be fascinating to watch…. in a morbid sort of way. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sad comment really.  You don’t want him on the team because he wants to be paid.  They all want to be paid.  He took a path most of us are not happy about but it is what it is.  I don’t begrudge him for that.  He followed the LaMar Jackson path.  Somehow it worked out for him and the Ravens.  It could still work out similarly for the Colts.  They are both superstars.  But if it doesn’t it doesn’t. I think most fans would like him to stay and play this year and get him resigned.  He hasn’t done anything to deserve hate from the fans.  This situation is just business in the NFL.  Both sides know it.

Well said. I don’t hate JT for his hold out. Both he and Irsay made the situation worse than it should have been. That said, I sincerely hope he comes back and plays like the stud we know him to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’ll always be in the camp that players should honor their contract. He should have been a team player and balled out this year….show that he deserves another huge contract. So yeah …as talented as he is…He doesn’t want to be here and I dont want the guy on the team. 

I agree with you for the most part, but if all we’re going to get is a 4th round pick or so in return for trading him I’d rather keep him and force his hand to either play or retire. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’ll always be in the camp that players should honor their contract. He should have been a team player and balled out this year….show that he deserves another huge contract. So yeah …as talented as he is…He doesn’t want to be here and I dont want the guy on the team. 

Do you get upset when players get cut before there contract is up?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I thought I was always camp pay-the-player until this JT deal. I think Irsay should have kept his mouth closed, and I also think JT is carrying a cross for all running backs and he's not fit to carry that cross and has overplayed his hand (which was a slim one to begin with)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

What about when teams don't honor the contract and cut players before it expires?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What about when teams don't honor the contract and cut players before it expires?

Would you still get paid if you got fired?

When a person answers a job posting and is hired, they will be paid according to the terms of the posting for as long as they perform up to that level.  If they don't, they get fired.  The fact that the NFL job postings have an end date to them....the contract....doesn't change the fact that they can get fired upon notice and never get paid by that company again, just like most people's jobs.  

Also, the player is not entitled to get a pay raise just because they play better than the terms of the contract.  Just like a person doesn't normally get a raise for doing their job exceptionally well.  That person simply has earned a competitive place that better positions themselves for a raise (usually a promotion)....when a new job opening comes up.  

Beats me as to why coaches seem to get paid full contract value when they get fired for bad performance.  I guess its in the terms of the contract.  I don't get it, they shouldn't get paid either when they get fired.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Would you still get paid if you got fired?

When a person answers a job posting and is hired, they will be paid according to the terms of the posting for as long as they perform up to that level.  If they don't, they get fired.  The fact that the NFL job postings have an end date to them....the contract....doesn't change the fact that they can get fired upon notice and never get paid by that company again, just like most people's jobs.  

Also, the player is not entitled to get a pay raise just because they play better than the terms of the contract.  Just like a person doesn't normally get a raise for doing their job exceptionally well.  That person simply has earned a competitive place that better positions themselves for a raise (usually a promotion)....when a new job opening comes up.  

Beats me as to why coaches seem to get paid full contract value when they get fired for bad performance.  I guess its in the terms of the contract.  I don't get it, they shouldn't get paid either when they get fired.

Contract employees have end dates and they also get released early.  Valid point.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Contract employees have end dates and they also get released early.  Valid point.

And CEOs get poached from one company to the next, and usually negotiate an employment contract.  So they get paid the full contract value if they get released.  Terms of the contract.

I guess the NFL treats coaches like Corporate Executives who get paid full value, but treats the players like salaried/contract employees.  The NFLPA is apparently okay with it.  Its the typical Management/Worker dynamic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

One of those wacky twitter accounts. I can’t find where Dan said that.

This is what I was trying to say.  Just because he's off PUP next week, that doesn't mean he's going to play.

He may just start holding out.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

This is what I was trying to say.  Just because he's off PUP next week, that doesn't mean he's going to play.

He may just start holding out.

If that's what he really wants to do, so be it.

If he doesn't play by week 6 he won't become a FA next year. Will be on a 1yr $4.3m contract again. That would cost him even more money than he already has cost himself with his faux injury claim.

He has no cards to play, he got caught bluffing. He will be suiting up in week 5 or 6.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

If that's what he really wants to do, so be it.

If he doesn't play by week 6 he won't become a FA next year. Will be on a 1yr $4.3m contract again. That would cost him even more money than he already has cost himself with his faux injury claim.

He has no cards to play, he got caught bluffing. He will be suiting up in week 5 or 6.

He'll definitely be back with 6 weeks left in the season, thats what they all do to get the year of service and be UFA next season.

Ballard needs to start playing hardball and start fining him and banning him from the Colts facilities until the hold out is over.

• Like 1