Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

On 9/21/2023 at 3:24 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Technically you are right in what you are saying, I would say it is close though. WR's are more valued but Taylor is arguably a top 3 RB in the league. I still like my initial suggestion, as in they trade us their 1st round pick. If they want to go all in to try and win a SB, they should do that.

Both sides win. Getting a 1st would ease the pain of losing Taylor.

I don't get this over evalution of Taylor. He is a very good one cut running back with elite speed. However, based on his overall skill set and how it fits today's game, he is not an elite rb. If he was, I truly beleive Steichen whispers in Ballard's ear to give him an extension. The fact that the Colts won't budge on an extension should tell u enough what they think of him as a player in this offence. People need to also look at history.  Recent 2nd contracts give to rbs have been a disaster. Now that may change with Robinson from the Falcons. He looks like  Faulk with a little sprinkle of Sanders. He looks like the protypical back for today's game.

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't get this over evalution of Taylor. He is a very good one cut running back with elite speed. However, based on his overall skill set and how it fits today's game, he is not an elite rb. If he was, I truly beleive Steichen whispers in Ballard's ear to give him an extension. The fact that the Colts won't budge on an extension should tell u enough what they think of him as a player in this offence. People need to also look at history.  Recent 2nd contracts give to rbs have been a disaster. Now that may change with Robinson from the Falcons. He looks like  Faulk with a little sprinkle of Sanders. He looks like the protypical back for today's game.

So you think robinson is better than taylor

On 9/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They could give us a 1st round pick though in 2024 like I wanted earlier, depends on how serious they are at making a SB run. That team would be scary good if they got Taylor and had Hill and Waddle to go with that. They have a pretty good O.Line too.

I don't get this talk of a 1st round pick for Taylor. In what  universe do u see any team giving up a 1st for Taylor? I am on record as saying a 4th or 5th and the highest would be a 3rd. Whatever team goes after Taylor would most likely be looking at a one year rental. In what world would a team give up a 1st for a rental? In what world would a team give up a 1st and a new deal for Taylor?  It was crickets when he was put out their for a trade.  That's why the Colts said go out their and get a trade. It was a win win for them. He went out  there, and no one offered anything tangible. Now Taylor has been shown what he is worth. He will come off the PUP and probably ball out as he now knows he is playing for a contract.  I doubt the Colts tag him, as they will move on and get a comp pick for him. Taylor and his agent really screwed this up. He should have played the year and showed the Colts and the NFL that he was healthy and a complete back. Would the Colts give him an extension after this year if he played and had a great year? They may have worked something out. Now he will probably hit free agency with is stock being devalued even more  because of his antics. A sad story and a warning to players with no leverage on what not  to do!!!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Who do you think are Elite RB's in today's game? Name 5 better than Taylor so I can have a good laugh.

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't get this talk of a 1st round pick for Taylor. In what  universe do u see any team giving up a 1st for Taylor? I am on record as saying a 4th or 5th and the highest would be a 3rd. Whatever team goes after Taylor would most likely be looking at a one year rental. In what world would a team give up a 1st for a rental? In what world would a team give up a 1st and a new deal for Taylor?  It was crickets when he was put out their for a trade.  That's why the Colts said go out their and get a trade. It was a win win for them. He went out  there, and no one offered anything tangible. Now Taylor has been shown what he is worth. He will come off the PUP and probably ball out as he now knows he is playing for a contract.  I doubt the Colts tag him, as they will move on and get a comp pick for him. Taylor and his agent really screwed this up. He should have played the year and showed the Colts and the NFL that he was healthy and a complete back. Would the Colts give him an extension after this year if he played and had a great year? They may have worked something out. Now he will probably hit free agency with is stock being devalued even more  because of his antics. A sad story and a warning to players with no leverage on what not  to do!!!

exactly what l have said before. This is the real world, not the fantasy world a lot want to believe.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who do you think are Elite RB's in today's game? Name 5 better than Taylor so I can have a good laugh.

he is coming off a injury and has shown nothing to warrant top rb status. If he plays and shows he is a top rb, he will get his money. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope it doesn't because I want to keep him but if we try and trade him, no way are we just getting stickin 3rd or 4th round pick. That is beyond comical and will never happen.

if he plays and isn’t the same back as he was, that could be his trade value.

5 minutes ago, husker61 said:

if he plays and isn’t the same back as he was, that could be his trade value.

He is 24 years old and if healthy, what makes you think he won't be great again? Like I said his injury isn't that bad. I would agree with you had he tore an Achilles or even an ACL. That is not the case.

Look I get it, WR's are more important than RB's but it doesn't take away from the fact that Taylor is a great RB. This RB hate around the league is really mindboggling. I put what I did in bold on purpose. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think where u error in your evaluation of  Taylor is that u r evaluating him as a runner only. He is average in catching the ball and below average in pass protection. I believe in Steichen's ability to evaluate the position. If he was elite, I truly believe this mess would never have happened, and he would have an extension. People are also throwing last year away as they blame his production on Oline and qb play. Truly, elite rbs rise above those deficiencies. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We don't know that to be fact and you named 1 back that is better than Taylor. 

Cause I don't want to play this game. U can argue that he is #1 or #10 in the league, but it doesn't matter. The league has spoken with regards to rbs and/or Taylor's  value  in the current market. That being said. He is under contract and  the Colts  not think it is worth the risk to sign him to an extension . No other team has stepped up to trade and/or sign him to an extension.  U can argue with me on  how elite he is and that doesn't really matter. There are  3 other backs, Barkley , Jacobs and Pollard, who I view as more complete and they couldn't sniff an extension.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is 24 years old and if healthy, what makes you think he won't be great again? Like I said his injury isn't that bad. I would agree with you had he tore an Achilles or even an ACL. That is not the case.

Look I get it, WR's are more important than RB's but it doesn't take away from the fact that Taylor is a great RB. This RB hate around the league is really mindboggling. I put what I did in bold on purpose. 

I wouldn’t call it hate. It’s business and the fact of the matter is simply RBs generally have the shortest careers of any position. Sure there are outliers like Frank Gore, but most have a 5-6 year life span. That’s it. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I wouldn’t call it hate. It’s business and the fact of the matter is simply RBs generally have the shortest careers of any position. Sure there are outliers like Frank Gore, but most have a 5-6 year life span. That’s it. 

Yes and Chubb's injury just probably put a further dent in the overall rb market.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We don't know that to be fact and you named 1 back that is better than Taylor. 

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Cause I don't want to play this game. U can argue that he is #1 or #10 in the league, but it doesn't matter. The league has spoken with regards to rbs and/or Taylor's  value  in the current market. That being said. He is under contract and  the Colts  not think it is worth the risk to sign him to an extension . No other team has stepped up to trade and/or sign him to an extension.  U can argue with me on  how elite he is and that doesn't really matter. There are  3 other backs, Barkley , Jacobs and Pollard, who I view as more complete and they couldn't sniff an extension.

That's awfully convenient.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

RBs actually get a lot more touches per game (than WRs) and do more than just run with the ball. Yes, average rbs are easily replaced BUT ELITE RBs are not! And JT is a elite RB, look what he meant for the colts and what Henry has done for the Titans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

RBs actually get a lot more touches per game (than WRs) and do more than just run with the ball. Yes, average rbs are easily replaced BUT ELITE RBs are not! And JT is a elite RB, look what he meant for the colts and what Henry has done for the Titans.

Tennessee fans adore Henry, call him a Hall of Fame Henry. My uncle is a huge Tennessee fan, some of this fan base just craps on Taylor. I don't get it? My uncle said he would take Taylor if you guys don't appreciate him because Henry is getting old.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tennessee fans adore Henry, call him a Hall of Fame Henry. My uncle is a huge Tennessee fan, some of this fan base just craps on Taylor. I don't get it? My uncle said he would take Taylor if you guys don't appreciate him because Henry is getting old.

Despite being a division rival I really like Henry too......he's a pleasure to watch run the ball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Taylor traveled with the team to Baltimore, signs continue to point to his return with the Colts.

looks like he is having a reality check. The colts and the rest of the league will be fine without you, get your but on the field and prove your worth. That’s life in the nfl!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Taylor traveled with the team to Baltimore, signs continue to point to his return with the Colts.

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

looks like he is having a reality check. The colts and the rest of the league will be fine without you, get your but on the field and prove your worth. That’s life in the nfl!

Don't get your hopes up. Thats Richardson, not Taylor. Look at the following tweet.

Taylor ain't coming back. Quite frankly wouldn't want him to at this point. Can only imagine how he'd play still wanting a new deal, or the attitude he'd bring in the room right now. After that big win, the vibes are good. Time to move on.