Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed, but I’d add it’s been played bad by both sides. JT and his agent played this horribly. The way his agent was acting on Twitter and JT playing into his “injury” were bad moves. On the Colts side, they should have traded him as soon as contract negotiations broke down in June/July. If he really asked for $16 million like it has been rumored, then you should’ve shut it down there and helped him find a trade partner then.

Now the guy you’ve basically said isn’t that valuable is up for trade, and you want a valuable pick in return? Kind of a combination of ignorance and greed there.

Well stated.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

The Colts never stated or implied that Taylor isn't valuable. They've said the opposite. 

Their actions are showing that they don’t think he’s that valuable. Or rather they don’t think he’s valuable enough to pay whatever his asking price is. It’s not only the Colts as the RB contract thing is league wide, but they’ve made it clear through their actions where they stand on the debate. They value him, just not at his number.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Colts never stated or implied that Taylor isn't valuable. They've said the opposite. 

That is why I said the Colts wouldn't trade him unless they got huge compensation. As in a 1st round and 2nd round pick in 2024 for example. That wasn't offered by any team are the reports. I have been saying the Colts wouldn't trade him for at least a week now because they think Taylor is very valuable and they weren't just going to give him up for peanuts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Their actions are showing that they don’t think he’s that valuable. Or rather they don’t think he’s valuable enough to pay whatever his asking price is. It’s not only the Colts as the RB contract thing is league wide, but they’ve made it clear through their actions where they stand on the debate. They value him, just not at his number.

If he's so valuable then why isn't he passing his physical? Why is he refusing? 

The biggest value in the NFL is availability. And he's showing the rest of the NFL he's not available unless he "feels like it". 

And thinking back to that magical 2021 season... Taylor and the Colts just needed 1 win to make the playoffs and couldn't do it against either the Raiders or the lowly Jags. 

• Like 1

Even when the colts make decisions that essentially are helping Jt media is trying to spin it negatively. No way if they activated him would he have been ready to go week 1. We got a new offense and he is coming off a long injury. Being put on pup hurts the colts way more than it does Jt. He still gets paid no matter what but the team loses its main weapon and safety blanket for AR.

34 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Quite the contrary, their actions are showing that they think he IS that valuable... Not letting him go unless it is for a 1st rounder or equivalent.... that tells you they value him as a 1st rounder or equivalent....

They arent giving him a new contract because he is still UNDER contract.... he is trying to get paid early, like right now early, and the Colts are under no obligation to do so. What if Richardson had 2 good years and then in his 3rd year demanded to be paid $40m a year in his 3rd year of his contract?..... Newsflash, that isnt how contracts work!

Not to mention there has been nothing from the Colts to say that they dont value him at his appropriate market value.... But understandably they want to see him play first and be healthy before just doleing out upwards of $14m a year (or whatever Taylor's actual market value right now is) to a player who isnt healthy and might not be the same as he was. 

They want to see him play and be healthy before paying him... Common sense if you ask me.

Taylor is acting in total bad faith and he is the one in the wrong. Prove you are healthy, play hard and earn the contract.... like everyone else.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Just to clarify, I am not defending Taylor. I wanted him gone. Are you saying that Taylor wasn't tradeable because he hadn't passed a physical? Rapoport and Garafolo both said that the Colts had multiple offers on the table but didn't take them because they wanted a least 1st-round pick which was not offered. Why are teams making offers if Taylor is not tradeable? Not being argumentative because I respect your opinions, but I am truly confused here.

He can get traded, but with the scenario playing out like it did, it made his compensation so low that, in essence, yes he was untradable. Even if teams were making offers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stephen Holder said this morning, he knows who the mystery team is. He said he couldn't say but told Bowen it was an NFC team. I pretty much know who it is, it is Carolina. That hint gave it away. Reich loves JT and like us he has a rookie QB so JT would help that team a lot. We could still trade him even with him on PUP. The Pats traded Gilmore to Carolina when he was on PUP. He just can't play until week 5.

Not many things I despise more than the highlighted when it comes to reporting. Holder knows absolutely nothing or he'd report it. It gives the impression that he's plugged in and has info when he doesn't.

Guaranteed, if the 2nd team comes out he will say he had that info all along - even if it isn't an AFC team or a hockey team - he will say he knew but couldn't say for "reasons."

Edited by Mitch Connors
grammar
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

Quite the contrary, their actions are showing that they think he IS that valuable... Not letting him go unless it is for a 1st rounder or equivalent.... that tells you they value him as a 1st rounder or equivalent....

They arent giving him a new contract because he is still UNDER contract.... he is trying to get paid early, like right now early, and the Colts are under no obligation to do so. What if Richardson had 2 good years and then in his 3rd year demanded to be paid $40m a year in his 3rd year of his contract?..... Newsflash, that isnt how contracts work!

Not to mention there has been nothing from the Colts to say that they dont value him at his appropriate market value.... But understandably they want to see him play first and be healthy before just doleing out upwards of $14m a year (or whatever Richardson's actual market value right now is) to a player who isnt healthy and might not be the same as he was. 

They want to see him play and be healthy before paying him... Common sense if you ask me.

Taylor is acting in total bad faith and he is the one in the wrong. Prove you are healthy, play hard and earn the contract.... like everyone else.

Spot on.  So far, the only thing he has proven since injury is his ability to glower, look “hard” and select poor representation.

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

Not many things I despise more than the highlighted when it comes to reporting. Holder knows absolutely nothing or he'd report it. It gives the impression that he's plugged in and has info when he doesn't.

Guaranteed, if the 2nd team comes out he will say he had that info all along - even if it'scouldn't an AFC team or a hockey team - he will say he knew but couldn't say for "reasons."

Between me and my brother, we know everything there is to know in the world.... Go on, ask me any question.

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

You don't think this quote by the owner is taking a shot at Taylor's value? If not, what is the purpose of the quote?

If I die tonight and Jonathan Taylor is out of the league, no one's gonna miss us. The league goes on. We know that.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Guaranteed, if the 2nd team comes out he will say he had that info all along - even if it'scouldn't an AFC team or a hockey team - he will say he knew but couldn't say for "reasons."

I said yesterday, I thought it was the Bills because they do have a 1st and a 2nd. They are SB ready with a dominant run game as well.

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stephen Holder said this morning, he knows who the mystery team is. He said he couldn't say but told Bowen it was an NFC team. I pretty much know who it is, it is Carolina. That hint gave it away. Reich loves JT and like us he has a rookie QB so JT would help that team a lot. We could still trade him even with him on PUP. The Pats traded Gilmore to Carolina when he was on PUP. He just can't play until week 5.

Holder only knows what Malki Kawa has told him.

In my opinion Malki only had one connection - Miami. Sure the teams that call on everything may have called to find out what the price was, but there was only ever one offer made - the one from Miami.

The only reason the "other team" hasn't been mentioned by name is they would just come out and deny ever making an offer and Malki & co would look mighty stupid.

Their plan failed miserably and now they are busy pointing fingers and shifting blame.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

Not to mention there has been nothing from the Colts to say that they dont value him at his appropriate market value.... But understandably they want to see him play first and be healthy before just doleing out upwards of $14m a year (or whatever Richardson's actual market value right now is) to a player who isnt healthy and might not be the same as he was. 

I agree with most of this except I’d acknowledge a couple of things from Taylor’s perspective.

First:  Taylor has seen the Colts give Shaq and Nelson extensions in the past with a year left on their deal.  So it’s not unprecedented for teams to do that.  In fact it’s pretty common place.  However, as you pointed out the Colts aren’t obligated to do it.  

Second:  I don’t think it’s the fact he is still under contract for why the Colts don’t want to pay him.  I think it’s that he’s a running back and like the rest of the league the Colts have figured out it makes more sense to just tag them for a couple of years and let them walk after that then give them big money deals and that Taylor is coming off a down year where he was hurt.  They want to see him healthy and that he’s still the old Taylor before they give him money.  

Personally I think the Colts perspective on that is sound and is what I agree with.  However, I can understand Taylor’s fear of never getting that payday, especially coming off and injury and seeing first hand how an injury prevented Mack from getting his payday and the frustration that comes from seeing the Colts reward two of your teammates a year early but not giving it to you.  

Understanding is not the same as agreeing and personally I am more of the Pittman type that if this where you want to be go put the work in and make them pay you because they can’t afford to lose you.  So I don’t agree with how Taylor has handled this but I can understand where he’s coming from.  I still think he went about it the wrong way.

• Like 1

Hopefully Taylor now realizes that in order for him to get what he wants he has to report and play for the Colts and have a great year.  He now realizes he is not going to get the money he wants but the money the Dolphins and whoever else were offering is the most he is going to get right now.  He also realizes Ballard is not going to trade him unless he gets what he wants.  The deadline passing tells you that.  Right now his season is in jeopardy and if it goes real bad he could lose his accrued year and get fined.  Hopefully his mom and dad are trying to talk some sense into him.  All he has to do is report and start practicing and play.  Problem over.  He really has no choice the way I see it.  The quicker he passes a physical the quicker this is over and everyone moves on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

You don't think this quote by the owner is taking a shot at Taylor's value? If not, what is the purpose of the quote?

If I die tonight and Jonathan Taylor is out of the league, no one's gonna miss us. The league goes on. We know that.

Don't over think this....

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

You're avoiding my question.

Irsay is not taking a shot at Taylor lol.

He's stating a fact. It may seem harsh and overly simple, but it's true.

OF COURSE they would be missed, but the league moves on. Teams will find new guys to carry the load. It is what it is. Don't make it into something it's not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Ballard is due to talk at 4:15.

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

OF COURSE they would be missed, but the league moves on. Teams will find new guys to carry the load. It is what it is. Don't make it into something it's not.

When Andy Reid said the same thing no one said a peep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah in the past 10 years the NFL has lost both Mannings, Brees, and Brady.  The faces of their league for 25 years.  Yet the NFL is still here and doing bigger business than ever.  That’s Irsay’s point.  No one is bigger than the NFL it will go on without you.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

I'm not saying that Taylor isn't at fault for the situation, but Irsay posted publicly that Taylor wouldn't be missed if he was out of the league. Unnecessary. You are mischaracterizing what he posted. I'm making what he posted exactly what it was. You're trying to twist and soften it. 

4 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I'm not saying that Taylor isn't at fault for the situation, but Irsay posted publicly that Taylor wouldn't be missed if he was out of the league. Unnecessary. You are mischaracterizing what he posted. I'm making what he posted exactly what it was. You're trying to twist and soften it. 

Andy Reed  said the same thing about Chris jones and no one said A peep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually you are mischaracterizing it. You're blowing it completely out of proportion and missing the point of his post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think this is a drastic misinterpretation of the Colts actions. They've said repeatedly that they value him and want to keep him, and that's in the face of the present RB value trend in the NFL. 

What has held the Colts back from even offering a contract to Taylor, at any number, is primarily the fact that he won't show proof that he's healthy.

So far, we have no indication that Taylor would be asking for more than the Colts would be willing to pay. There have only been whispers of rumors regarding his contract expectations, and those rumors have been all over the place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Based on the quote you provided, that’s not the case. 

No one player, no matter how great or potentially great is going to stop the game of pro football to be played based on their no longer playing.

Irsay threw his name on that too. Meaning it will go on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I can’t wait to hear the following!

Is Leonard ready for Week 1

Is Kelly ready for Week 1

Is Moss ready for Week 1

And!

When Stephen “Malki” Holder asks him a question, Just give him a Clint Eastwood stare for about 15 seconds. 🤓

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Andy Reich said the same thing about Chris jones and no one said A peep.

When you got rings you can say anything you want. If the Colts were a dynasty they wouldn't be trashed for this situation. Mahomes, Reid and the Chiefs are the darlings of the league for now.

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

I can’t wait to hear the following!

Is Leonard ready for Week 1

Is Kelly ready for Week 1

Is Moss ready for Week 1

And!

When Stephen “Malki” Holder asks him a question, Just give him a Clint Eastwood stare for about 15 seconds. 🤓

I really wish if Ballard was asked about Taylor he'd just say Taylor has refused to take a physical, so they don't know his status and he'll remain on PUP until they do.

25 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

No, it's not taking a shot at his value, as a player on the 53 man roster of one team in the NFL. That comment applies to every person in the NFL, player, coach, owner, etc. It doesn't mean they don't want to pay him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Holder only knows what Malki Kawa has told him.

In my opinion Malki only had one connection - Miami. Sure the teams that call on everything may have called to find out what the price was, but there was only ever one offer made - the one from Miami.

The only reason the "other team" hasn't been mentioned by name is they would just come out and deny ever making an offer and Malki & co would look mighty stupid.

Their plan failed miserably and now they are busy pointing fingers and shifting blame.

PREACH BROTHER. 

You're nailing it today. This is the exact reason why no second team is being named by any of these insiders... Because there was never a second team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

Based on the quote you provided, that’s not the case. 

No one player, no matter how great or potentially great is going to stop the game of pro football to be played based on their no longer playing.

Irsay threw his name on that too. Meaning it will go on.

I agree that what you are saying is what Irsay meant, but, if so, he should have written it that way. As the owner, he would be wise to be very careful about his public words in a situation like this. The way he stated it was undoubtedly going to make the bad feelings between Taylor and the team worse.

29 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

No, you're misunderstanding the point Irsay is (albeit terribly) trying to make.

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When Andy Reid said the same thing no one said a peep.

Ha, so true.

10 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Again, you are just misunderstanding the point.

The NFL is bigger than a single RB, and it is also bigger than a single Owner of an NFL franchise. Heck, its bigger than en ENTIRE franchise... If for instance the entire Colts team died in a tragic plane crash returning from a game, with Jim on the plane and most of the coaching staff etc.... Guess what, the NFL would still continue on. That would certainly cause some issues, but the entire league wouldnt just shut down forever....  

Jim is just trying to say that no one is more important than the sport. He just phrased it badly.

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I agree that what you are saying is what Irsay meant, but, if so, he should have written it that way. As the owner, he would be wise to be very careful about his public words in a situation like this. The way he stated it was undoubtedly going to make the bad feelings between Taylor and the team worse.

Drugs are a hell of a thing. And he didnt write that down, he spoke it off the cuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

No, it's not taking a shot at his value, as a player on the 53 man roster of one team in the NFL. That comment applies to every person in the NFL, player, coach, owner, etc. It doesn't mean they don't want to pay him.

But what's the point of saying it during a contract dispute? I think it's a way of saying no one is irreplaceable. Is that not a way of telling an employee they are not as valuable as they think?

I’m sure he could have. Heck, he could’ve said it in a much nicer way while giving him an awkward shoulder rub. Wouldn’t change the result.

What Irsay did was attempt to get through to JT as that we’ll has been poisoned by his rep. Was it harsh? Yep. But when you have someone with an inflated self worth that cannot be supported in reality, clear is kind.

But what's the point of saying it during a contract dispute? I think it's a way of saying no one is irreplaceable. Is that not a way of telling an employee they are not as valuable as they think?

Because they’re being told they’re more valuable than the market will bear. That’s why he said it when he did.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that was the point. Taylor can choose to be annoyed by that, but it doesnt make it not true.

Irsay's point was "Yes, Jonathan is upset that his market value isnt what he wants it to be, and that we arent going to pay him early. But guess what, that's life. You signed a contract, you honour the contract, and the market value is what the market value is. Why should we pay you more, and NOW, just because you want us to? That isnt how life works."

He shouldn't have said it during a contract dispute, but we disagree that he was telling Taylor that he's not valuable enough to sign to a new contract.

Unless Ballard and Irsay are flat out lying, they have told Taylor that an extension will have to wait. They have not told him that he's not valuable to them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Superman said:

No, I don't. I think Ballard would tell agents that he's not interested at a particular price, and move on. He has his beliefs and opinions about how to manage a roster, and hasn't hid them at all. I don't think he'd try to hide behind the idea that an owner is tying his hands.

I have listened to Ballard describing the contract negotiating process as being handled by his exceptional Capologist. 

They have their long term business model and their firm values.

Something we can be certain Irsay, Ballard, our HC have a very good understanding of what our Capolgist lays out for them.

Steichen has proven he does not need, nor can his 12th man offensive system afford, a lot of $$ spent at RB. Not if your ambition is to win the Conference Championship, and more.

Taylor and his team surely were not surprised by our adamacy for a physical, and that their refusal would end any thought of negotiation.

Indeed they set us up for a "walkoff out". I would like to believe they understood Steichen's system wouldn't pay Taylor, so getting traded was a must for his financial ambitions. 

Now he saves his body, and hopefully his ankle is healthy when his new team is allowed to give it a lookover. I think it would be wise for him to sit out the season, get as close to 100% as he can, and not show up next spring for duty. I believe doing that would most likely get him moved and get him as much Fully Guaranteed $$ as the market will bear. This is his business model. And I like it.

45 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Guaranteed, if the 2nd team comes out he will say he had that info all along - even if it isn't an AFC team or a hockey team - he will say he knew but couldn't say for "reasons."

No, it was Arizona..