Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You don’t really believe he’s injured do you?  I think he can easily pass a physical.  This is all about the Benjamin’s I believe.

In addition to his high skill set, he has been portrayed as a great guy.

Faking an injury — if that is what he has been doing — and doing his pouting/hoodie act certainly casts his character in a different light. That won’t help his trade leverage. Why wouldn’t he pull the same stunt in a year or two when he feels underpaid again, even though he is under a new contract? Remember that he is under contract now and only a few months ago emphasized that he understood he was under contract and was fine with it. 

Forget the money. His behavior the past month is a cancer that needs to be excised.

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You guys are correct where if the team wants to sign him to a extension they may not trade for him without one. But on the colts end they really shouldn’t care about that.

I doubt the Colts do but it still impacts them because a team isn’t going to match the Colts asking price unless they know they are going to have Taylor for the long haul.  

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You guys are correct where if the team wants to sign him to a extension they may not trade for him without one. But on the colts end they really shouldn’t care about that.

They will only care if a team offers them something they are willing to accept for Taylor. In that case, the extension could be a deal-breaker and Taylor would have the power to decide if the deal happened or not.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't remember every post in this thread, but another problem with trading Taylor is that we or another team can't force him to sign an extension before or after trading him. If we are trading him to a team he doesn't like, there's no guarantee he'll extend with them, they may only be able to get him for a year. While Taylor doesn't have a no-trade clause. The power of refusing an extension is power he does have if we were interested in trading him and got the right offer.

Which again, will fall back on Taylor. He has no weapons here

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They will only care if a team offers them something they are willing to accept for Taylor. In that case, the extension could be a deal-breaker and Taylor would have the power to decide if the deal happened or not.

Not really, the team trading for Taylor would have the option of two years worth of franchise tags and even a third if they wanted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, azcolt said:

In addition to his high skill set, he has been portrayed as a great guy.

Faking an injury — if that is what he has been doing — and doing his pouting/hoodie act certainly casts his character in a different light. That won’t help his trade leverage. Why wouldn’t he pull the same stunt in a year or two when he feels underpaid again, even though he is under a new contract? Remember that, he is under contract now and only a few months ago emphasized that he understood he was under contract and was fine with it. 

If a guy pouts, it's surely unprofessional, but if a guy is on the sidelines....why does wearing a hoodie, matter a lick?  Would it mean something worse if he wore a trench coat?  A midriff? A tank top? No shirt?  

He's 24.  How many 24 year olds wear a hoody regardless of the weather absolutely EVERYWHERE?  

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He doesn’t get a choice but if Taylor’s agent tells the team Taylor isn’t going to re-sign with you unless you match this number odds are a team isn’t going to match the Colts asking price.

Well not necessarily.

team A trades for Taylor. Taylor has two choices, sign what extension they offer, or play under the 4.3 million this year. 

team A has the option to franchise tag him at 10.9 million next season, 14 million the season after that, and 17 million after that. 

JTs only option would be to sit out and not get a toll on his contract and not get paid. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't remember every post in this thread, but another problem with trading Taylor is that we or another team can't force him to sign an extension before or after trading him. If we are trading him to a team he doesn't like, there's no guarantee he'll extend with them, they may only be able to get him for a year. While Taylor doesn't have a no-trade clause. The power of refusing an extension is power he does have if we were interested in trading him and got the right offer.

Doesn't really matter.

They can franchise tag him if he doesn't want to sign.

They still get this year and 2 more years team control.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well not necessarily.

team A trades for Taylor. Taylor has two choices, sign what extension they offer, or play under the 4.3 million this year. 

team A has the option to franchise tag him at 10.9 million next season, 14 million the season after that, and 17 million after that. 

JTs only option would be to sit out and not get a toll on his contract and not get paid. 

Team A isn’t going to trade for Taylor at the Colts asking price if they are just going inherit the Colts headache.  They are only going to do it if they know Taylor is going to play for them.

So if Taylor’s camp says no new deal at this number then he isn’t playing they aren’t going to trade for him.

5 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i would love a first from the bears

I know why people keep linking Taylor to the Bears, but it won't or at least should not happen.

Kahlil Herbert is a beast. The Bears do not need Taylor at all, and yes, I believe Herbert is just as effective as Taylor would be. Herbert has had to sit behind Montgomery. Let him now eat.

Honestly, I would hope the Bucs would take a stab at Taylor and send us a 2nd and Mike Evans. Bucs need an RB and Evans is getting up there and we could use a WR1 right now in the worst way albeit for a couple years or until at least we find another one to replace him.

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I doubt the Colts do but it still impacts them because a team isn’t going to match the Colts asking price unless they know they are going to have Taylor for the long haul.  

Oops, GoColts8818 has it well covered.

So I hope JT is 100% healthy and an NFC hungry wannabe really wants him.

So this year's 4.3 salary plus two tags totalling roughly 25m = 3 years just  under $10 per. He will agree to something like that #, but praying for as much Fully Guaranteed as he can get before he runs a play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Team A isn’t going to trade for Taylor at the Colts asking price if they are just going inherit the Colts headache.  They are only going to do it if they know Taylor is going to play for them.

So if Taylor’s camp says no new deal at this number then he isn’t playing they aren’t going to trade for him.

Perhaps. Just saying technically they can

22 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

If a guy pouts, it's surely unprofessional, but if a guy is on the sidelines....why does wearing a hoodie, matter a lick?  Would it mean something worse if he wore a trench coat?  A midriff? A tank top? No shirt?  

He's 24.  How many 24 year olds wear a hoody regardless of the weather absolutely EVERYWHERE?  

If you don’t think he is isolating himself from the team even when he is present, that’s your opinion. I think he is and he is using the hoodie to help with the isolation. He might as well pitch a tent and sit in it during practice.

BTW, the hoodie at the Eagles practice read “I am stronger than my darkest." What a teammate.

• Like 3

Some of these teams might not even be interested in signing him to an extension this year.

There is literally no hurry for them other than to try and appease Taylor. 

Most these teams are already in cap trouble next year and tight to the cap this year.

Taylor will probably be good to go with just getting a new home and maybe $2-$3m in incentives added to deal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Some of these teams might not even be interested in signing him to an extension this year.

Most these teams are already in cap trouble next year and tight to the cap this year.

Taylor will probably be good to go with just getting a new home and maybe $2-$3m in incentives added to deal.

Cap constraint is big deal for most teams right now, maybe, Bears don't have that concern. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

They might not.  However, the Colts have made it pretty clear their asking price is high.  So if a team is going to match that they are going to make sure of two things before a trade happens.

1.  Taylor is healthy.

2.  Taylor will play for them this year.  

Since the Colts have given Taylor permission to seek a trade they have pretty much invited open tampering with Taylor.  So teams are going to ask his camp those things.

If Taylor’s camp takes the stance he’s not playing unless he gets the extension he wants that’s how they take control.  So yeah the Colts and another team might agree on a deal but when that team talks to Taylor and if chooses to demand an extension before he will play that will blow up the whole deal.

So there are a lot of moving parts here and that’s why a deal is going to be hard to come together.  It might also be exactly what the Colts are counting on so that Taylor sees it’s not just the Colts who won’t give Taylor what he wants it’s no team in the league.  

I am not going to get into what Taylor will or won’t accept in terms of a dollar amount because that’s all unknown and what we think sounds reasonable might not sound reasonable to someone else, namely Taylor.  

We are also all just kinda assuming Taylor is healthy (and for the record I think he is) but if he’s really not that alone will probably blow up any deal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, azcolt said:

If you don’t think he is isolating himself from the team even when he is present, that’s your opinion. I think he is and he is using the hoodie to help with the isolation. He might as well pitch a tent and sit in it during practice.

BTW, the hoodie at the Eagles practice read “I am stronger than my darkest." What a teammate.

FWIW:    Three Colts players are in record saying they are fine with Taylor and that he is not a problem for the team.    At all. 

Those players are:

DeForest Buckner

Zaire Franklin

Deon Jackson

Taylor is popular with his teammates.   They support what he’s doing.   Players typically support other players during difficult contract situations.  They realize it could happen to them as well. 

19 minutes ago, azcolt said:

His teammates disagree with you.   The guys that are actually out there with him

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It's actually the other way around for the Colts. Don't let Taylor go out and decide what team he wants to go to, like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. Once that happens, you've lost control of the situation. 

Any trade in this situation starts with the Colts and the new team agreeing to trade compensation, first. If the team isn't willing to meet the Colts trade demands, there's no point in them negotiating with Taylor and his agent. 

I think I understand that and will admit I wasn’t necessarily thinking about it from that angle. 

What was the significance of granting JT permission to seek a trade then? I understand a team would need to meet the Colt’s demands, but wouldn’t a team want to know exactly what JT is looking for first? Couldn’t the Colts have been doing this (discussing trade demands with teams) without giving permission to JT to seek a trade? Also, if the hope is that JT will realize there isn’t the market for him that he anticipates, wouldn’t his agent need to be able to discuss his contract demands with teams? 

33 minutes ago, azcolt said:

For the record the hoodie is team gear and is part of the Colts' mental health awareness campaign "Kicking the stigma". A lot of players and coaches are wearing things with that slogan at or around Colts facility and practices... 

Example... here's Steichen and Eberflus with the same shirts last week:

F36_yROXEAAQrZ0?format=jpg&name=small

Here's Richardson and Fields with the same ones:

F37OoTuXkAARynS?format=jpg&name=small

Here's a video about it with more Colts players wearing the same slogan:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I think I understand that and will admit I wasn’t necessarily thinking about it from that angle. 

What was the significance of granting JT permission to seek a trade then? I understand a team would need to meet the Colt’s demands, but wouldn’t a team want to know exactly what JT is looking for first? Couldn’t the Colts have been doing this (discussing trade demands with teams) without giving permission to JT to seek a trade? Also, if the hope is that JT will realize there isn’t the market for him that he anticipates, wouldn’t his agent need to be able to discuss his contract demands with teams? 

I guess it's not so much about giving him permission to seek a trade. It's more about giving him permission to negotiate a new contract with other teams, with the stipulation that those teams are willing to meet the Colts' trade demands. They won't let him negotiate with the Commanders if the Commanders are only offering a 5th round pick, for example. And maybe the Colts already have a list of suitors, along with some baseline trade offers.

There's really no downside for the Colts. Worst case scenario, JT is further hardened against the market because he can't find what he wants, he continues to take it out on the Colts with his hold-in (which is what I believe he's been doing since camp started), and nothing really changes. The ball is still in his court, but he has to get to work at some point if he wants to be paid for 2023.

On the other hand, maybe he goes and talks to other teams, realizes the market isn't great because he's coming off an injury and/or no one wants to break the bank for a RB, and decides to come back to the Colts, showcase himself in 2023, and try to strengthen his market going into 2024.

Or maybe he gets a solid offer, and the Colts offer to match/beat it, and he gets paid to stay with the Colts. In that way, the Colts avoid bidding against themselves in an already dry market, but also show a measure of good faith toward a player they claim to value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If Taylor’s camp takes the stance he’s not playing unless he gets the extension he wants that’s how they take control.

Once he proves he is healthy, he won't be able to hold out on injured list.

He loses his injury angle with these talks.

So a hold out at that point will cost game checks and if he holds out long enough, a service year.

Taylor doesn't really have any control. He can tell the team we want to trade him to, that he doesn't want to go there, but he will go where we trade him or be back here playing or sitting.

If he wants out of here bad enough, he should fine with the team that gives us the highest package.

Really don't think the extension is going to be a contributing factor. Like I said I think most teams will probably tell him the same. Get here and we will figure it out.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Because it puts JT in checkmate. To be traded by league rules, he has to pass a physical and not be on PUP or IR.  JT made comments that RBs could fake or exaggerate injuries to hold out while getting paid still. 

therefore, given the fact his ankle surgery should by all accounts, be ready to go and healed long before camp even started, odds are he has been doing just that. 

if he finds a a trade partner, this puts JT into the spot of HAVING to take and pass a physical. Should he fail, it proves he’s hurt all along and this not gonna get an extension or trade. If he passes and the colts don’t like the offer, it takes away his injury excuse as a hold out and then he can either play or sit out unpaid

• Like 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Doesn't really matter.

They can franchise tag him if he doesn't want to sign.

They still get this year and 2 more years team control.

The problem is you have a team moving a stud player because of his unhappiness, which would be made worse by the above.  So yes he has team control.  But no team that trades for him will do so blindly, they will require his representation to agree in principle to at least a rough range and framework of a deal.

What this means is that he will very much affect where the Colts move him.  There may be some teams he refuses to come to any agreement with.  There may be some others he wants badly to join and will more easily agree to terms with.

As to his deal nobody is going to pay him above market.  Last team to do that was the Rams with Gurley and they got burned big time.  But what they will do is give his team a reality check, and once he realizes the ballpark range he's looking at it will be about getting him as much up front as possible so it'll be all about the bonus.

59 minutes ago, azcolt said:

and this folks, is one of the biggest problems in the world today.  people taking a die hard firm stance against something they don't even understand without doing ANY kind of fact checking before hand.  

good job :thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I doubt that Irsay or Ballard gives a rats behind what espn or their pundits have to say.  

The owners will back Irsay in his firmness in honoring the CBA. It protects them all in the bigger picture. 

So you think no one will try to trade for Taylor and offer him a bigger contract? Possible but I doubt it’s because the owners care about the CBA. While the team is protected by the CBA, that doesn’t mean Taylor is breaking it by asking for a raise. 

The reason I didn’t like how all this was playing out was simply I think that this doesn’t play well with agents and players. The insensitive comments from Irsay and taking the position that you aren’t valuable enough to pay but you are too valuable to trade and the position of not seeming to want to negotiate your best players contract going into the last season while entirely within the right of the organization…might not have the same effect on agents and players in the league as it does with the other 31 owners.

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

I guess it's not so much about giving him permission to seek a trade. It's more about giving him permission to negotiate a new contract with other teams, with the stipulation that those teams are willing to meet the Colts' trade demands. They won't let him negotiate with the Commanders if the Commanders are only offering a 5th round pick, for example. And maybe the Colts already have a list of suitors, along with some baseline trade offers.

There's really no downside for the Colts. Worst case scenario, JT is further hardened against the market because he can't find what he wants, he continues to take it out on the Colts with his hold-in (which is what I believe he's been doing since camp started), and nothing really changes. The ball is still in his court, but he has to get to work at some point if he wants to be paid for 2023.

On the other hand, maybe he goes and talks to other teams, realizes the market isn't great because he's coming off an injury and/or no one wants to break the bank for a RB, and decides to come back to the Colts, showcase himself in 2023, and try to strengthen his market going into 2024.

Or maybe he gets a solid offer, and the Colts offer to match/beat it, and he gets paid to stay with the Colts. In that way, the Colts avoid bidding against themselves in an already dry market, but also show a measure of good faith toward a player they claim to value.

See below. 

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Because it puts JT in checkmate. To be traded by league rules, he has to pass a physical and not be on PUP or IR.  JT made comments that RBs could fake or exaggerate injuries to hold out while getting paid still. 

therefore, given the fact his ankle surgery should by all accounts, be ready to go and healed long before camp even started, odds are he has been doing just that. 

if he finds a a trade partner, this puts JT into the spot of HAVING to take and pass a physical. Should he fail, it proves he’s hurt all along and this not gonna get an extension or trade. If he passes and the colts don’t like the offer, it takes away his injury excuse as a hold out and then he can either play or sit out unpaid

I agree and understand the Colts are in a good position. I’m not trying to question any of that. But the Colts could have done all of what you are saying without ever giving JT to seek a trade, no? They could have called teams or otherwise let it be know that they would entertain trade proposals. This would more less be how the Buckner trade played out.

It feels like they decided it was best to let JT seek a trade and begin negotiating contract demands with teams so he could gauge his market. And if there was a market, teams could start making offers to the Colts to meet their demands. So while the principle is essentially the same as the Buckner trade, it is different in that JT has to be allowed to at least begin contract negotiations with other teams prior.

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

His character?

I've been critical of JT in all this.  I'm critical of any player who wants to renegotiate a contract before it's come due.  I think people should do what they're obligated to do -- period, end of story.  The time to negotiate an extension is when you've fulfilled your prior obligations.

And, yes, I agree that he's demanding a contract that is simply above his market value.  He's mad at the Colts for it.  But it's not Ballard or Irsay's fault that the market value of RBs has fallen as it has.

I think JT has been given bad advice and I think he's making a mistake in following that bad advice.  I do not think there is any way this will work out the way he wants it to -- whether he stays in Indy or goes elsewhere.

That said, while there's plenty of reason to question his judgment, there is no reason to question his character.  Whatever comes of this, from what we know of him, Jonathan Taylor has the same stellar character he had before all this.

I think faking an injury is a blemish on one’s character. Or exaggerating it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Oops, GoColts8818 has it well covered.

So I hope JT is 100% healthy and an NFC hungry wannabe really wants him.

So this year's 4.3 salary plus two tags totalling roughly 25m = 3 years just  under $10 per. He will agree to something like that #, but praying for as much Fully Guaranteed as he can get before he runs a play.

Right on!  My guess it will average between 10-11m.  

Whether JT's injury is real or not is not the real issue IMHO. What is valid is that he wants more money before he has honored his initial contract. This is something that has always bothered me. You have a contract. If you're not happy with it then why did you sign it in the first place? I know hindsight is 20/20 but regardless you signed it. Play it out and then let's see what your real worth is.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

It's actually the other way around for the Colts. Don't let Taylor go out and decide what team he wants to go to, like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. Once that happens, you've lost control of the situation. 

Any trade in this situation starts with the Colts and the new team agreeing to trade compensation, first. If the team isn't willing to meet the Colts trade demands, there's no point in them negotiating with Taylor and his agent. 

Agreed. I don’t like the way the Colts did this. The Colts can communicate what JT is seeking in a contract when making trade negotiations. If JT gets other teams to make him an offer even if the Colts don’t like their trade compensation it’s going to make the Colts look poor if they don’t want to pay what the player has already demonstrated his market value is. Again..not saying they have to…but how this reflects to other players and agents and how teams will use it against us can matter. Especially when it looks like we won’t pay our star player.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

You only take a physical after a trade has been agreed upon. You can’t just make up a trade, force the player to take a physical, then pull the offer. 

The Colts know Taylor’s health status. The guise that he is hurt is just PR so as to avoid the optics of a player holding out or the Colts supposedly forcing a guy that says he is hurt to practice on it.

5 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

See below. 

I agree and understand the Colts are in a good position. I’m not trying to question any of that. But the Colts could have done all of what you are saying without ever giving JT to seek a trade, no? They could have called teams or otherwise let it be know that they would entertain trade proposals. This would more less be how the Buckner trade played out.

It feels like they decided it was best to let JT seek a trade and begin negotiating contract demands with teams so he could gauge his market. And if there was a market, teams could start making offers to the Colts to meet their demands. So while the principle is essentially the same as the Buckner trade, it is different in that JT has to be allowed to at least begin contract negotiations with other teams prior.

I believe that what happened with Buckner is basically what is happening with Taylor now, just faster and more quietly. Same thing happened with AJ Brown, who got traded on draft day and had a new contract waiting for him.

Deshaun Watson is a good example. The Texans permitted other teams to negotiate with him prior to trading him to the Browns, but they would not allow the Colts a seat at the table. This is probably because the Colts are a division opponent, but the same non-allowance could apply to a team that wasn't serious about meeting the Texans' trade demands.

All the technical aspects play out behind the scenes, but when a team trades for a player and immediately has a new contract waiting for him, it's safe to conclude that they were given permission to negotiate that contract only after they agreed to trade compensation. Otherwise, you have a mess on your hands.

Look at what happened with the Packers and Jets. Once Aaron Rodgers announced he wanted to play for the Jets, no other team would bother with a trade offer, which allowed the Jets to wait out the Packers. 

In this case, I think the Colts only stand to benefit. Teams that are interested are more likely to meet the Colts' demands if they know Taylor will be under contract for multiple seasons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1