Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shoot 

I’m surprised by this move, and it’s really an empty threat with how many good RBs available as free agents. The funny part is the Colts tend to overpay their home grown players, I doubt he will get a bigger contract elsewhere. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What do you guys think about this comment?

Truth

Don't really think anything about top tweet. It's JT fan club account.

Colts are fine, there is no deep issue. They simply didn't want to offer an extension at this point. Very reasonable decision by then.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So what happens when Taylor and his agent find out he isn’t going to get offered what he wants. Would they be able to mend fences and him come back. I think it is too far gone.

You realize he requested the trade after irsays tweet?

Sadly, given Taylor's injury, it has probably gone too far. Taylor now changes his name to Jonathan Kaepernick Taylor and tries to find a career not in football. His actions give other teams leverage for bottom feeding unless they are desperate.

30 minutes ago, AKB said:

never thought we would avoid paying JT. Why does it matter if we slightly overpay him, we have a rookie QB

its not uncommon for top tier players to want an extension before their rookie deal expires, happens often, not in just the RB market

We don't know how much jt is demanding so can't assume it would just be slightly overpaying.

He is still under a contract that he signed.  He isn't in a position to be demanding more money yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pkbrux said:

Wouldn't need to tag him, he wouldn't have accrued a year by not playing this year. 

He would come back in week 10 to get his accrued season. Would do the same thing in 24+25.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

He would come back in week 10 to get his accrued season. Would do the same thing in 24+25.

Well you didn't say that, you just said sit out. Sure, if he comes back at that point in the year, he gets his accrued season, and in that case I would definitely just tag him for 24. 

• Like 1

I don't see how this ends any other way than Taylor coming back, playing (likely with a new agent, simply because it's easier to change agents than GM/Owners and this one is new, no long relationship with JT, and plays.....  Maybe gets dinged and sits....trying to con NFL into giving him his accrued season...  I dunno, I don't like it a bit, and used to love JT....  But this is all going down in a very snarky crappy manner....

There has been a couple running backs request trades and they quickly found out there was no market  Austin Ekeler is one of them.

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

I don't see how this ends any other way than Taylor coming back, playing (likely with a new agent, simply because it's easier to change agents than GM/Owners and this one is new, no long relationship with JT, and plays.....  Maybe gets dinged and sits....trying to con NFL into giving him his accrued season...  I dunno, I don't like it a bit, and used to love JT....  But this is all going down in a very snarky crappy manner....

Changing agents would be his best move.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There has been a couple running backs request trades and they quickly found out there was no market  Austin Ekeler is one of them.

Taylor just hired this new agent two months ago — late May.   Odds are he’s not changing his agent again so soon, even if some might want him too. 

lol Irsay is such a mess, but glad they are taking that stance. You are under contract, you play this year, end of discussion. If they tag JT after this season and he wants to sit out/demand a trade then when he isn't under contract, go for it.

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Yeah that’s what I was trying to post but it wouldn’t show correctly. 

Oh my bad. Can’t trust clicking links now a days. Never know what kind of freaky site you’ll end up on. Lol

Good riddance JT! Just feel like the NFL is trying to turn into the NBA! Soon, no big Named player will ever want to come to Indy or any other small market team and load up the big city markets screwing smaller markets over! JT and his agent need to be fined for making this public like Damien Lillard should be for publicly wanting to be traded to Miami! Sucks we will probly never see JT play another down for the Colts, but screw him for wanting out of here when he was this teams primary weapon and playmaker! Play the freakn contract out and keep your mouth shut! im so POd with this right now! The last thing this team needed was for another star player to go rogue! Here’s to hoping Hull is the next coming of Edge!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

This forum flips on players so fast.

it makes no sense to me taylor hasnt even said anything .   taylor is a high character player and has been great for us .   we have a lot of cap space and the running back market is so cheap right now .   colts could of offered him 12 million a year for 3 years and he probably would of taken it .  i get taylors point one more season with more damage on his body and a year older will hurt his chances even more .  he just wants security so if he gets hurt he isnt losing his career and everything he worked for .  

• Like 1

Said it earlier and will say it again, I can't be bothered to get that worked up over a RB. JT has a contract, if he really wants to leave, he has no choice but to play this year.

If the Colts tag him after this season and he wants to demand a trade then or sit out, he can do what he wants because he won't be under contract.

I do think its hilarious that a running back on his rookie contract really thinks he has any sort of leverage to demand a trade, especially with how limited the RB market is.

Unless Taylor is willing to sit out all year his trade demand is really much a do about nothing.  The Colts own his rights and can control them for two to three years after this one if they wish.  Taylor has little to no leverage unless he’s willing to sit out.  Even then at some point with all posturing his agent has done he’s going to have to privately admit to Taylor there is no one who is going to pay him what he wants.  

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Makes me wonder if Irsay was told one thing by JT only to be blindsided.

Sounds like a point being made against the idea of an individual being indispensable.  Next man up Jonathan. Kelly, Kenny...

I'm very impressed with all things Jonathan and wish him as much guaranteed $$ as he can get. I agree that this is the right time for him to go for the GOLD.

Our Colts have that Legacy of watching Manning and Luck walk out the door with a cool $25M ish for no services rendered.

All wise players get its just business.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If he is smart he will.

I’m not sure this is about smart anymore.  

Unfortunately things have gotten way, Way, WAY too hot right now.    And when that happens, people have a tendency to get dug in to their positions.   Smart often goes out the window on both sides.  

There needs to be cooler heads, and right now it’s hard to find any….

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Unless Taylor is willing to sit out all year his trade demand is really much a do about nothing.  The Colts own his rights and can control them for two to three years after this one if they wish.  Taylor has little to no leverage unless he’s willing to sit out.  Even then at some point with all posturing his agent has done he’s going to have to privately admit to Taylor there is no one who is going to pay him what he wants.  

The colts might not play hardball and just want to get the distraction gone. But with what Irsay said sounds like they are going to play hardball.

I've never given a player crap for trying to get a better contract, but this is just silly.

He is still under his rookie contract. He is coming off his worst year ever. He is an incomplete back who is a liability in pass rush and not a great catcher of the football - both things which are becoming more and more required. His character and work ethic have always been stellar, but now he hires this completely unprofessional * agent who is widely hated in MMA circles.

Never has a player so quickly gone from one of my favorites to "meh, who cares" than JT. I hope someone talks some sense into him. If he keeps this up, let him hold out and cut or tag him next season. He has no trade value given the character issues and his contract demands. Enjoy being on the Raiders, or Cardinals, or whatever

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Never_Quit said:

I've never given a player crap for trying to get a better contract, but this is just silly.

He is still under his rookie contract. He is coming off his worst year ever. He is an incomplete back who is a liability in pass rush and not a great catcher of the football - both things which are becoming more and more required. His character and work ethic have always been stellar, but now he hires this completely unprofessional * agent who is widely hated in MMA circles.

Never has a player so quickly gone from one of my favorites to "meh, who cares" than JT. I hope someone talks some sense into him. If he keeps him up, let him hold out and cut or tag him. He has no trade value given the character issues.

Don't you think it is a little late to talk some sense into Taylor? His bridges may have burned.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I really like Ekeler for our offense. 

And I see Irsay says JT ain't going nowhere. Getting wild and wooly. lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The colts might not play hardball and just want to get the distraction gone. But with what Irsay said sounds like they are going to play hardball.

The Colts are also probably not going to get an offer worth it to them.  The Vikings couldn’t for Cook so they ended up releasing him.  There wasn’t much of one of Barkley or Jacobs either.  I don’t think one is going to magically appear for Taylor.  

Taylor is either going to realize he’s not going to get what he wants and opt in like Barkley did and make the best of it or he’s going to dig in like Jacob’s has done and just sit out.  It’s just wait and see.

The Colts have made their position clear.  They aren’t going to offer him a contract right now and they aren’t going to move him so now the ball is in Taylor’s court.  

• Like 1

Just now, CoachLite said:

Don't you think it is a little late to talk some sense into Taylor? His bridges may have burned.

He has a strong family and his mom is not your typical football mom. He just switched to this d - b a g agent back in May.

He's always been someone with their head screwed on straight up until now. Who knows?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I’m sorry, but this is so dumb. I think JT got caught up in all of the RB hoopla and it’s stuck in his ear. He’s on his rookie contract still. This is too early, I was thinking he would have these talks at the end of the year. Cmon

Teams usually extend their most valued players before they become free agents. Many seem to do it during training camp before the final year of the player's contract. It is common throughout the league. Teams do that so that they do risk losing these valued players to free agency.

Some teams seem to allow many players to leave as free agents (like the Ravens in the past). The Ravens were adept at getting compensatory draft picks for losing players to free agency.

Anyway, I don't believe the Colts should trade JT. Let him leave through free agency if the Colts no longer see a future with him.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts are also probably not going to get an offer worth it to them.  The Vikings couldn’t for Cook so they ended up releasing him.  There wasn’t much of one of Barkley or Jacobs either.  I don’t think one is going to magically appear for Taylor.  

Taylor is either going to realize he’s not going to get what he wants and opt in like Barkley did and make the best of it or he’s going to dig in like Jacob’s has done and just sit out.  It’s just wait and see.

The Colts have made their position clear.  They aren’t going to offer him a contract right now and they aren’t going to move him so now the ball is in Taylor’s court.  

If JT does decide to suit up any game

for the Colts this season, it would be interesting see how many of the boo-birds will be out!

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

The fact that Irsay is being the key voice and not Ballard is alarming yet again. 

Well the owner of the team IS the person who pays the players.

This is exactly the owners job.

Does he have to go to social media about it? No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1