Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans (week 2) post game thread

GoColts8818

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I did not hear Darius Leonard's name mentioned once during the entire game.

He has been the 2nd or 3rd guy to every pile this season..

He def isn’t playing like the old DL.

It will take some time for Shaq to get back to relative form.

- defensive front was solid to very good... They had a decimated opponent in front of them and did what they should have done - dominated them. 

- offensive line - especially since Ryan Kelly had his concussion, I thought the OL was solid both in run blocking and pass protection. 0 sacks allowed against what is probably the best unit for the Texans. 

- both QBs - AR is a superstar in the making. And the pairing with Steichen is made in heaven. Minshew did what he was brought to do... he was yet again a pro QB, who executed the offense and moved the ball. Nothing fancy, just solid NFL QBing. 

- Zack Moss - love the guy... just 5-6 weeks after he broke his arm he was plowing through defenders and gaining extra yardage. 

- pass-catchers... I've been critical of them lately, but I thought they had a solid day and made some plays for their QBs... 

- Steichen - loved the playcalling and planning in the beginning of the game. Loved the seamless switch to Minshew type offense, Love what he's doing with AR and how he's building confindence into him. Love their pairing. I think the Colts nailed both those decisions separately, but when combined they make for a truly rare combination that can be special. Loved that he was trying every trick in the book to give this team an advantage when it comes to game and flow management.

Dislikes:

- AR concussion. I said it in the other thread - I'm not one of those who is urging him to run less - no... he was drafted because of the dynamicism he possesses as a runner combined with the potential as a passer. Use every weapon he has in his arsenal. But dammit... try to protect yourself. He needs to be more alert when he's running... seemed like he didn't expect the hit or didn't expect it to be this hard... he needs to brace himself for those types of hits.

- DBs... eeek... I hope they get Brents ready to play soon because this ain't it... We will need a lot of help next year too. That unit is clearly the worst on the team IMO. 

- Rigoberto. Hate to say it, but to me it looks like he's lost something in his leg after the injury. They say one of the things you lose the most after Achilles injury is explosiveness and it seems to fit what we are seeing(injury was on his kicking leg). IMO it's possible we will need to look for a new kicker next year if things don't improve. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

I love having Minshew as a backup QB!  I don't get worried at all if he needs to come in for Richardson.

Same here - Minshew can be good for 1 or 2 games when called upon, luckily AR will probably fine though. He just needs to learn in the NFL to play through every play and protect himself. He let up after he scored, had he not done that he would of never got hit. In the NFL, most guys will take a shot on a QB if they can. I thought the hit was late actually but AR should have just scored and ran out of the endzone. I bet he will next time. He's young and will learn.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bravo said:

He has been the 2nd or 3rd guy to every pile this season..

He def isn’t playing like the old DL.

It will take some time for Shaq to get back to relative form.

Had three tackles.  Yeah, he wasn’t cleared to start running until June after missing virtually all of last year.  It’s going to take time to get back to being the old Leonard.  This is part of that.

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if it’s attitude.  I think two things happened:

1.  The Texans started throwing more which is the Colts weakness on defense.  When the Texans still tried to run in the fourth they couldn’t at all. 

2.  The Colts started playing bend don’t break on defense which worked outside of one drive that I agree was just too easy.  The other three drives resulted in field goal attempts and the end of the game.  

This.  The cover 2 honestly worked.  It did what it had to do.  It’s just unfortunate our DB group as a whole is so bad they can’t even do it.  Cover 2 focuses on keeping things in front of you and solid tackling.  On that drive where stroud ate us up, guess what baker didn’t do. Lol

43 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Good:

-Return of the run game

-QBs are interchangeable 

-Good O-line play

Bad:

-This team does not have a number 1 receiver

-The Dayo Odeyingbo experiment should be over

-Secondary was horrible. Flowers, Baker, and Thomas stood out in a bad way.

Dayo was the one who punched it out of CJs hands in the first quarter. His two offsides penalties were bad though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Standings in the AFC South:

1. Jags 1-1

2. Colts 1-1

3. Titans 1-1

4. Texans 0-2

I picked the Chargers to beat the Titans this week, I didn't have money on it but Herbert can't win a big game to save his life. That was a big game because going 0-2 sucks. I am done picking the Chargers to win crap.

Chargers have been losers for many years despite a history of good QBs and talented rosters and doubt it changes. I picked them to because I just didn't see Tannehill outscoring them. 

They will win games and some seasons more games BUT will always fail when it matters most(Divisional round and afccg if they get that far) and break their fans heart.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't agree.  He hit the back of his head directly on the Turf and his head bounced back up.

Im almost certain that's what caused it.

I thought AR slowed down when he realized he was going to score. Showing off. Which resulted in him getting hit harder than if he had just ran in full speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

And you can see before that the efenser hitting him helmet to helmet. I agree though it might of been hitting it on turf but could of Bern the helmet hit too.

If he’s running like a RB then he should get hit like a RB.  AR made the mistake of letting up when crossing the goal line. He should have sprinted through or dished out his own hit on the defender. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I thought AR slowed down when he realized he was going to score. Showing off. Which resulted in him getting hit harder than if he had just ran in full speed.

To me it looked like he either didn't see the defender or didn't expect the defender to hit him. He's used to defenders making business decisions against him, because he's so physically overpowering, but in the NFL noone cares. They will take a shot on you legally or illegally, and this is especially true if you are the QB. Hope he learns from some of those... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I hope Minshew is ready to take on the ravens!

I am ok if he starts but I doubt AR won't be cleared to play here in a couple of days. The hit he took wasn't even that bad. He did hit his head on the turf but still seemed ok. It wasn't like he was knocked out and laying on the ground after that play happened. 

1 hour ago, colts89 said:

I'm usually long-winded on these threads but I just got 2 points for today

1) I apologize to Steichen for complaining about his play calling last week. Who knew having even a competent run game helps out that much lol. Great game by the new HC. Very excited to see how he molds this team.

2) Baker sucks. He's our CB1 this year and was PICKED ON by a rookie QB and a generally incompetent offense. He and Flowers will be the direct reason why we lose a good chunk of games this season. Super negative points to Ballard aka Mr.'We like our guys' for going this route. I swear if Isiah Rodgers balls out for the Eagles next year.......

he will rodgers is really good at football 

With Minshew you can open up the whole playbook instead of having a condensed one.   Im certainly 100 percent behind AR, but when we've got to turn to Minshew in the case of an injury I don't worry about the O being limited and stuck in the mud. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

With Minshew you can open up the whole playbook instead of having a condensed one.   Im certainly 100 percent behind AR, but when we've got to turn to Minshew in the case of an injury I don't worry about the O being limited and stuck in the mud. 

When AR was in, he was completing a lot of passes too + he had 2 big runs for TD's. I like both QB's.

20 minutes ago, KB said:

Dayo was the one who punched it out of CJs hands in the first quarter. His two offsides penalties were bad though. 

Yeah the penalties killed the fumble he caused. He’s also not getting to the QB. The Texans had a backup or 3rd string player at every OL spot except one. Everyone else seemed to get there except him. I don’t think he’s going to be a future breakout star.

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

If only we would've kept Gilmore! This team has a chance ESPECIALLY if we can get JT back. The upgrade at hc and qb play has already made this team better. Should be 2-0 already but I like what I see so far. Gus needs to be more flexible with his defensive game plans depending on opponent. 

if we had gilmore and rodgers didnt gamble the defense would be great . front 7 is amazing this year

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Minshew getting starting reps in camp was a huge positive for today.

If he starts/plays against the Ravens I will be ok with it but I doubt AR won't be cleared. We will see, I am not doctor but I have had a couple glasses of Whiskey Drunk Season 2 GIF by Paramount+- How about everyone enjoy the win today and think about next week around WEDs or so. Lets enjoy a little. I am going too regardless :thmup:

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what I have been saying. He will learn from it. Kind of glad this happened because he won't let it happen again. 

Definitely need to learn from it. Go full speed and run out of the end zone. Also I think the NFL should look at that type of stuff too. A lot of players are injured by defenders making unnecessary sprints to the side line when they have no chance of making a play. That’s how Paris Campbell got injured his rookie year.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Creekside said:

Why did he slow down? I could not understand why he pulled up as if he could walk in .

Yeah, he definitely slows up at about the 5 as if he can waltz in. Strange decision. I guess he’ll learn from it but stinks it takes a concussion for that lesson. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Yeah, he definitely slows up at about the 5 as if he can waltz in. Strange decision. I guess he’ll learn from it but stinks it takes a concussion for that lesson. 

Yeah when he slowed down, I even yelled what you doing because I seen the Texans guy flying in. It was really a cheap shot IMO. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What's even worse, they will probably  be picking in the top 2. I thought that was a ridiculous trade they made. I never saw Stroud and/or Anderson as elite.

moose weren't you just talking about how bad our team was in the game thread and all the mistakes with our roster? so we win, and now the Texans roster is built wrong too?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah when he slowed down, I even yelled what you doing because I seen the Texans guy flying in. It was really a cheap shot IMO. 

the hit from cisco last week was dirty too. he's already taken two big blows to the head in back to back weeks

• Thanks 1