Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Expectations for Pittman this Season?

Defjamz26

So far he’s off to a really hot start to the season. 8 receptions for 97 yards and a touchdown in the season opener. He’s also in a contract year in a new offensive system. Just wanted to see what everyone’s prediction is.

Originally I thought he’d be and 800 yard guy, but after seeing that we really have zero run game, he might break 1,000 yards.

I wonder if it’ll be enough to get him paid though because it looks like the Colts want to upgrade at WR. Rumors that they inquired about Jaylen Waddle when talking to the Dolphins about compensation for JT, have no been followed up with reports that they asked GB about Watson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38364808/colts-eyed-christian-watson-jonathan-taylor-trade-talks-sources-say

It seems like his performance may not make a difference, unless he has some type of otherworldly performance. Im still expecting an average season from him though. What do you all think?

I like Pittman, but not as the "clearcut WR1" option on a team.

I think he is definitely worth decent to high WR2 money, but if he is angling for a top tier contract, then i'd pass. He would be a really really good WR2. Imagine if we had Pittman behind a player like Justin Jefferson..... That would be a crazy 1-2 punch.

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I like Pittman, but not as the "clearcut WR1" option on a team.

I think he is definitely worth decent to high WR2 money, but if he is angling for a top tier contract, then i'd pass. He would be a really really good WR2. Imagine if we had Pittman behind a player like Justin Jefferson..... That would be a crazy 1-2 punch.

WR1 players get close to $25-30 mil., and WR2 players can get $18-20 mil., so yeah, I would be OK with the Colts offering Pittman the amount of money the Jaguars offered Christian Kirk, $72 mil. for 4 years in this passing league, and that should be the upper limit, IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

So far he’s off to a really hot start to the season. 8 receptions for 97 yards and a touchdown in the season opener. He’s also in a contract year in a new offensive system. Just wanted to see what everyone’s prediction is.

Originally I thought he’d be and 800 yard guy, but after seeing that we really have zero run game, he might break 1,000 yards.

I wonder if it’ll be enough to get him paid though because it looks like the Colts want to upgrade at WR. Rumors that they inquired about Jaylen Waddle when talking to the Dolphins about compensation for JT, have no been followed up with reports that they asked GB about Watson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38364808/colts-eyed-christian-watson-jonathan-taylor-trade-talks-sources-say

It seems like his performance may not make a difference, unless he has some type of otherworldly performance. Im still expecting an average season from him though. What do you all think?

Like I said, he’ll go off one series maybe two each game and then is MIA the rest of the time. 

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

As time goes on, both Pittman and Downs along with Granson will serve as security blankets for AR. Pierce, not getting my hopes up there till he shows me something.

Which is weird cause at training camp, Pierce was his outlet. So not sure what’s going on there

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't have big expectations bc he will be double teamed and schemed against to be taken out and AR is still learning on the job along with accuracy issues he has to work out. It was a nice but albeit quiet game for the most part other than that TD catch on the screen.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Like I said, he’ll go off one series maybe two each game and then is MIA the rest of the time. 

Are you basing this off of the last few years when he’s had mediocre talent at QB, Coach/Offensive coordinator and a porous o line? I think he’s done pretty good all things considered, provides that spark and attitude that the team needs, and if targeted more he will produce. He ALWAYS fights for extra yards after catching the ball, and is quicker than people give him credit for.  He had zero targets the first half, maybe he wasn’t getting open, or Richardson just needed to settle down. Hopefully they utilize him more the rest of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Are you basing this off of the last few years when he’s had mediocre talent at QB, Coach/Offensive coordinator and a porous o line? I think he’s done pretty good all things considered, provides that spark and attitude that the team needs, and if targeted more he will produce. He ALWAYS fights for extra yards after catching the ball, and is quicker than people give him credit for.  He had zero targets the first half, maybe he wasn’t getting open, or Richardson just needed to settle down. Hopefully they utilize him more the rest of the season. 

I’m basing it on his entire sample size. Yeah, he’s had mediocre QBs but he’s often not much of an impact. 

now, some of that may very well be the QB play you mention, some of it is the lack of another consistent WR threat. But often, he is just not open. That said, I’m hoping Pierce or someone else’s steps up to be a consistent threat. Downs is good, but the Jags shut him down. We’ll see how the season progresses but right now, I don’t have high expectations for Pittman. Which is sad cause I really like the kids fire and attitude. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think that AR realized that Pittman is going to be his safety blanket. If you look at how he started off he didn’t even target Pittman in the first half. Second half he almost exclusively hit Pitt and Granson. I think that Pitt will have a solid season somewhere in the area of 80-90 catches and 800-1000 yard season 5 TDs. 

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 11:20 AM, ProblChld32 said:

I think that AR realized that Pittman is going to be his safety blanket. If you look at how he started off he didn’t even target Pittman in the first half. Second half he almost exclusively hit Pitt and Granson. I think that Pitt will have a solid season somewhere in the area of 80-90 catches and 800-1000 yard season 5 TDs. 

Yeah I think until the deep ball materializes, Pittman will be the go to. He can do some things in the intermediate level of the field to make it easy for AR. But I wonder if that’s just going to be by force and not by design. The Catch and Run for a TD was a nice play design but thats not really his game. 

It seems Steichen has a type at WR.

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I think until the deep ball materializes, Pittman will be the go to. He can do some things in the intermediate level of the field to make it easy for AR. But I wonder if that’s just going to be by force and not by design. The Catch and Run for a TD was a nice play design but thats not really his game. 

It seems Steichen has a type at WR.

Actuslly the catch and run is a big part of his game. He is great at yards after the catch. He is physical and runs like a running back. Steichen needs to get him the ball in open space. Pierce is a one trick pony so far and doesn’t fight for position. Pittman is a all around great WR who can beat you in multiple ways.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, csmopar said:

Which is weird cause at training camp, Pierce was his outlet. So not sure what’s going on there

Pierce was horrendous in pre-season.

He looked lost and AR completed just a couple passes to him. 

Pierce is better than this but Steichen can't trust him and AR yet apparently.

They will make some plays, they have to get in sync so they don't give up interceptions.

Pittman had a hard earned good day with the rookie. And he got in the end zone.

Will we ever get our QB to hit him in the end zone?

I believe Pittman is going to grow into a top notch clutch #2 like Reggie. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pierce was horrendous in pre-season.

He looked lost and AR completed just a couple passes to him. 

Pierce is better than this but Steichen can't trust him and AR yet apparently.

They will make some plays, they have to get in sync so they don't give up interceptions.

Pittman had a hard earned good day with the rookie. And he got in the end zone.

Will we ever get our QB to hit him in the end zone?

I believe Pittman is going to grow into a top notch clutch #2 like Reggie. 

I know but in actual camp, Pierce was the main target outside of downs the 4 practices I went too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:05 AM, Defjamz26 said:

1000 yards is only 59 yards per game these days. 

Pittman received the 11th best receiving grade from PFF in 2022 from what I read even with mediocre QB play.  Expect our Colts to resign him and not look to replace him with say Tee Higgins (Bengals) or Marquise Brown (Cardinals). 

If we are looking towards the draft as a replacement than my initial assessment is skip on Marvin Harrison Jr. as he doesn't appear to be the same player prior to his late season injury.  Instead keep an eye on Rome Odunze (Washington).  Odunze's 605 yards against single coverage last year trailed only Marvin Harrison Jr. among returning Power Five wide receivers and is already off to a strong start.  Washington Huskies football has a tough schedule against many top 25 teams on slate which should be a good indicator on how well Odunze performance plays out. 

Bottom line come draft day can't see the Colts targeting a top WR early in Round 1 and not resigning Pittman as the club will have other priorities am guessing (RG/FS/RB). 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Pittman received the 11th best receiving grade from PFF in 2022 from what I read even with mediocre QB play.  Expect our Colts to resign him and not look to replace him with say Tee Higgins (Bengals) or Marquise Brown (Cardinals). 

If we are looking towards the draft as a replacement than my initial assessment is skip on Marvin Harrison Jr. as he doesn't appear to be the same player prior to his late season injury.  Instead keep an eye on Rome Odunze (Washington).  Odunze's 605 yards against single coverage last year trailed only Marvin Harrison Jr. among returning Power Five wide receivers and is already off to a strong start.  Washington Huskies football has a tough schedule against many top 25 teams on slate which should be a good indicator on how well Odunze performance plays out. 

Bottom line come draft day can't see the Colts targeting a top WR early in Round 1 and not resigning Pittman as the club will have other priorities am guessing (RG/FS/RB). 

It should be noted that his 11th best receiving grade was in Reich’s offense. This is Steichen now. We are still trying to discover what exactly his scheme demands from his players. However, as Ballard alluded to with JT, Pittman could be a scheme casualty. Which leads me to your point about the draft. While I can’t agree with passing on Harrison if he were to be available since he is such a unicorn, I do agree with needing to look elsewhere. 

I’ve done some early draft work, and Rome Odunze is a guy on my watch list. I think his skill set may be something closer to what Steichen wants out of his receiver. Odunze is a physical receiver with explosive YAC ability. He probably more quicker than Pittman is. Odunze is more similar to guys like Allen, Smith, and Brown who are receivers who flourished under Steichen.

We already saw Ballard draft Downs who is the polar opposite of every receiver he drafted before. I also wouldn’t guarantee a Pittman re-signing. Like someone else mentioned, Granson and Downs may be guys that you see highlighted in this scheme.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OhioColt said:

If we are looking towards the draft as a replacement than my initial assessment is skip on Marvin Harrison Jr. as he doesn't appear to be the same player prior to his late season injury.

That was my concern as well.  Just a feeling, but when I see him play, he reminds me a lot of his dad.  But his dad was 5'11 180, if you get my drift.  The NFL hits hard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

That was my concern as well.  Just a feeling, but when I see him play, he reminds me a lot of his dad.  But his dad was 5'11 180, if you get my drift.  The NFL hits hard.

I loved watching Sr. watching Jr. is exciting as well. Sr at 5'11 is really pushing it. I thought he was shorter than that. haha

I want Colts to get Jr. I'm also worried about the curse Colts have with OSU players. Maybe Jr will break the curse. :peek:

• Like 1

If the Colts were wise, they would trade Pittman Jr. to the Patriots for this year's first and like trade the Ravens or Titans done get the Patriots round 4 pick as well.  A 10-15 top pick from the Patriots is current estimates where our Colts should have a legit shot of landing WR Rome Odunze (Washington) very comparable to Marvin Harrison Jr if not better option and a better scheme fit from what I was told.  The Colts have to be much more aggressive this year in free agency knowing they can overpay for the next 3-4 years for top talent around AR before he has to get paid.  Best thing is those 3–4-year deal will expire freeing up the capital to sign AR to a long-term deal.  Focus has got to be on the future, and I really like what the top of this year's draft class is producing that would make real impacts to our Club.  Having two early picks could go a long way along with the potential to grab three NFL standouts.  We are projected to have a lot of cap space and this offseason is crucial. 

A five or six-game winning record is projected to have the number one pick in the 2024 NFL draft.   Let that alone sink in. 

16 hours ago, OhioColt said:

If the Colts were wise, they would trade Pittman Jr. to the Patriots for this year's first and like trade the Ravens or Titans done get the Patriots round 4 pick as well.  A 10-15 top pick from the Patriots is current estimates where our Colts should have a legit shot of landing WR Rome Odunze (Washington) very comparable to Marvin Harrison Jr if not better option and a better scheme fit from what I was told.  The Colts have to be much more aggressive this year in free agency knowing they can overpay for the next 3-4 years for top talent around AR before he has to get paid.  Best thing is those 3–4-year deal will expire freeing up the capital to sign AR to a long-term deal.  Focus has got to be on the future, and I really like what the top of this year's draft class is producing that would make real impacts to our Club.  Having two early picks could go a long way along with the potential to grab three NFL standouts.  We are projected to have a lot of cap space and this offseason is crucial. 

A five or six-game winning record is projected to have the number one pick in the 2024 NFL draft.   Let that alone sink in. 

All though I really like Pittman. Not bad thinking here. I think Colts could bank more in a trade with Pittman than they will get for JT. JMO

Pittman will be a Colt next season, this team is really going to be good moving forward if AP gets his targets and catch the dang ball and if we get good compensation for JT. We can't forget about Downs he going to be another good one. Shane needs to figure out how to get these guys the ball. Especially when I don't think we see much of JT. IMO In a dream world JT fires agent and says he wants to be Colt for rest of his career and Irsay and Ballard makes him a deal. But like I said a dream World... I believe in this team going forward, let the media keep downing us... Richardson says H*LL no!!! I didn't want Richardson but I'm eating crow and proud to do it...lmao

I think it’s extremely hard to predict how anyone is going to do.    New coach, new staff, new inexperienced rookie quarterback….  To me it all adds up to a big question mark. 

And I’m not sure if we’ll know much more after a month, or two or more.   Everyone is going to be learning.   There will be good days and bad.  

I think all of us are guessing, at best. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Who is projecting that the first pick in the 24 draft will go to a team with 5 or 6 wins?  

Seriously, who?   

Off the top of my head, I can remember that happening.   The Colts won 4 games last year and picked 4th.   

Typically the team with the worst record has about 1-3 wins.  5-6?   I don’t think so. 

On 9/16/2023 at 12:19 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Who is projecting that the first pick in the 24 draft will go to a team with 5 or 6 wins?  

Seriously, who?   

Off the top of my head, I can remember that happening.   The Colts won 4 games last year and picked 4th.   

Typically the team with the worst record has about 1-3 wins.  5-6?   I don’t think so. 

2023 NFL win total predictions: Over/under picks for all 32 teams - ESPN

2023 NFC win-total projections: Eagles, 49ers remain atop conference; Cowboys, Packers miss playoffs (nfl.com)

2023 NFL Over/Under win totals: Projected wins for each team, predictions | FOX Sports

Over/Under Win Predictions for Every NFL Team in 2023 | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Pretty much every major site saying similar projections.  Not saying the typical 1-3 wins by a franchise would not happen again per the norm but who knows with all these new QBs over the past few years a 5-win season finishes last.  Only time will tell.

On 9/15/2023 at 10:45 PM, EasyE said:

All though I really like Pittman. Not bad thinking here. I think Colts could bank more in a trade with Pittman than they will get for JT. JMO

Pittman will be a Colt next season, this team is really going to be good moving forward if AP gets his targets and catch the dang ball and if we get good compensation for JT. We can't forget about Downs he going to be another good one. Shane needs to figure out how to get these guys the ball. Especially when I don't think we see much of JT. IMO In a dream world JT fires agent and says he wants to be Colt for rest of his career and Irsay and Ballard makes him a deal. But like I said a dream World... I believe in this team going forward, let the media keep downing us... Richardson says H*LL no!!! I didn't want Richardson but I'm eating crow and proud to do it...lmao

Odunze and Washington looking really good right now.  Much better than Marvin Harrison Jr. imho

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EasyE said:

I will have to checkout. They gotta be really good if your'e giving opinion better than Jr.

Last season Odunze's 605 yards against single coverage last year trailed only Marvin Harrison Jr. among returning Power Five wide receivers. He was also the third-most valuable returning Power Five receiver, according to PFF’s wins above average metric. 

2023 stat line 22 catches for 419 yards and 2 touchdowns plus one running touchdown already.