Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL JAGS VS COLTS PREVIEW

Restinpeacesweetchloe

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So cool to see this up. I can’t believe it’s almost here. Everyone predicted the Jags to win. Seeing weird things happen week one and it’s at home I think colts have a chance.

Nothing would make my day more than AR out performing Sunshine

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I was looking up Pff grades for Indy and Jax, and I’m starting to feel pretty confident about this game.  Particularly that we may be able to control both lines of scrimmage.  Their OL is pretty bottom tier.  They are trotting the same three interior starters as last year, and they were all rated poorly (basically two 61s and a 48).  And their 2nd year RT has to go to LT due to Cam Robinson’s suspension, and 1st round RT Anton Harrison will probably struggle.  All 4 of our DL starters should have a good advantage, especially Buckner.

And speaking of Ds, their front 7 is pretty pedestrian.  Josh Allen is elite, grading out about like Buckner.  But the three down linemen are pretty poor.  And Travon Walker was poor.  One LB named Oluokun was not bad, but they just had very little outside of Allen in the front 7.  If you subscribe to the theory that games are won and lost on the LoS, you should feel better about this game…

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to this game, but I need to see some production from this team to have faith in them going forward. As of now, I don't believe there's any realistic chance we win this game. Our secondary is going to be under a hard test with Lawrence and these receivers. I feel Richardson is going to be playing from behind all game and we will be depending on him scrambling or throwing it deep most plays.

Don't feel a win week 1. I just hope that the game isn't too big for Richardson and he can show he belongs in the NFL. I would love to see him and Downs combine for a TD or two.

• Like 2

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm looking forward to this game, but I need to see some production from this team to have faith in them going forward. As of now, I don't believe there's any realistic chance we win this game. Our secondary is going to be under a hard test with Lawrence and these receivers. I feel Richardson is going to be playing from behind all game and we will be depending on him scrambling or throwing it deep most plays.

Don't feel a win week 1. I just hope that the game isn't too big for Richardson and he can show he belongs in the NFL. I would love to see him and Downs combine for a TD or two.

i agree ballards roster cant match up with the jags

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i agree ballards roster cant match up with the jags

The frustrating part is the Jags had a great FA period to build around Lawrence and it has ultimately worked. The issue was Urban Meyer and they fixed that. In hindsight, Ballard may not have known 100% he was getting Richardson at 4 when FA was happening, but I don't know why we weren't more aggressive in building a team around whichever QB we were ultimately getting. We would have had the draft picks anyway. I believe we still have around $13 million with the 53 man roster set (for the most part). This, more than any time in Balard's tenure as GM, was the right time to spend in FA. I don't even blame him for JT, but I do blame him for the team being in the shape it's in and why we have to rebuild more than we should be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The frustrating part is the Jags had a great FA period to build around Lawrence and it has ultimately worked. The issue was Urban Meyer and they fixed that. In hindsight, Ballard may not have known 100% he was getting Richardson at 4 when FA was happening, but I don't know why we weren't more aggressive in building a team around whichever QB we were ultimately getting. We would have had the draft picks anyway. I believe we still have around $13 million with the 53 man roster set (for the most part). This, more than any time in Balard's tenure as GM, was the right time to spend in FA. I don't even blame him for JT, but I do blame him for the team being in the shape it's in and why we have to rebuild more than we should be. 

Not that I look for Ballard to go crazy next year because that’s just not his style but I think he’ll be more aggressive for a couple reasons. He’ll have one year to look at Shane’s offense and decide what is missing and Matt Ryan’s contract will be off the books so cap space shouldn’t be an issue. I also think he’ll have a better idea of where we’re at on defense with a second year in Gus’s system.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

Not that I look for Ballard to go crazy next year because that’s just not his style but I think he’ll be more aggressive for a couple reasons. He’ll have one year to look at Shane’s offense and decide what is missing and Matt Ryan’s contract will be off the books so cap space shouldn’t be an issue. I also think he’ll have a better idea of where we’re at on defense with a second year in Gus’s system.

The Matt Ryan contract is something that I considered months ago, but ultimately forgot about as time moved forward. Thank you for reminding me of that. That's a good defense of Ballard not spending as much.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Nothing would make my day more than AR out performing Sunshine

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So cool to see this up. I can’t believe it’s almost here. Everyone predicted the Jags to win. Seeing weird things happen week one and it’s at home I think colts have a chance.

Did the announcer refer to him as spicoli?  That’s amazing 

Awesome Sean Penn GIF

I heard on a podcast that the last colts rookie to win the season opener was George Shaw from 1955.

And it feels like we haven’t beaten the jags or won the season opener in about 60 years.  

a win in the first week is doubtful but it would be tremendous. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I heard on a podcast that the last colts rookie to win the season opener was George Shaw from 1955.

And it feels like we haven’t beaten the jags or won the season opener in about 60 years.  

a win in the first week is doubtful but it would be tremendous. 

Jags haven’t won in Indy in a long time. Just like colts haven’t won in Jax. Plus week one always has some teams that won’t end up with very good records win. I like our chances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jags haven’t won in Indy in a long time. Just like colts haven’t won in Jax. Plus week one always has some teams that won’t end up with very good records win. I like our chances.

Since 2017 and Colts have won 9 of last 10, no matter either club's record Jacksonville cant win in Indy.

• Like 1

Colts 360 began the season with Kelly as the live guest.

It reminds me to keep rooting for him to be the best he can be.

I hope he has gotten his health back. The left arm injury he had a couple years ago I believe was still affecting his ability last off season to lift as needed for both upper and lower body. Hopefully he is much stronger now.

We will all be watching closely at all the 3rd and two's, 4th and ones.

Good thing about week 1 game is that Jax defense can't really be sure how to contain Richardson.

So there's a chance that AR goes off and Jax struggle to compete with Colts offense.

As the season goes, AR would find it more difficult if he doesn't keep improving as opposing defenses would've a better and clear plan against him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

this is a new jags team with a top qb and the power of our division, i can see them dominate ballards roster

Even years we had a big advantage in talent we lost in Jacksonville, same now that their roster is better on paper they lose in Indy. They roster was better last year and yet same result Not saying its a lock but the moneyline bet looking very good.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:43 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Real football is back. :)

The Game Thread has been created and I posted that video in the opening post. The game thread is scheduled to be displayed at 7AM ET (Indianapolis time) next Sunday in the Colts Game Day section.

• Like 4

On 9/2/2023 at 7:15 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

after 6 seasons ballard should have built a roster that can compete with the elite teams. I hope he has finally at long last built a roster that can finally have a winning record.

In the last 3 years, the Colts had a winning record in 2 of them. They've been competitive against elite teams.  You really need to do some fact checking before continuing to troll that broken record of yours.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 4:46 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

This, more than any time in Balard's tenure as GM, was the right time to spend in FA.

I 100% disagree.  This would have been one of the worst years for ballard to spend big in FA. He had no idea who his QB was going to be. Why would you spend big in FA without a QB unless a QB is one of the positions you fill in FA?

I doubt even next year will be.  Most likely the right time to spend big will be the year after next. THEN he'll know what he has in AR and SS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, J@son said:

I 100% disagree.  This would have been one of the worst years for ballard to spend big in FA. He had no idea who his QB was going to be. Why would you spend big in FA without a QB unless a QB is one of the positions you fill in FA?

I doubt even next year will be.  Most likely the right time to spend big will be the year after next. THEN he'll know what he has in AR and SS.

Ballard knew he was getting a QB. Worst-case scenario, we had Minshew in FA already on a cheap deal to start. After that, Ballard was realistically going to get Richardson or Levis at 4 (maybe Stroud and Young were options at one point). You don't build around the QB after he proves he's good. You build around the QB so he's able to be good. Ballard had those draft picks and could have drafted the same players while signing different players in FA. Someone told me about the Matt Ryan contract and I do understand that, however, we still have $13 million in cap space leftover, and apparently (with hindsight), we now know Ballard isn't paying Pittman or Taylor because of a "4 win team" last year. Since Ballard knew this, we should have dedicated that money more wisely towards FA to help with whatever QB we ended up with (and we were guaranteed to get someone at 4 without hindsight, we just didn't know who).

You have a rookie QB on a rookie contract. This is always the best time to spend in FA. Look at the Jaguars and Trevor Lawrence as a recent example that a great FA class can help a young QB. Yes, the coach change also helped, but he was able to get Kirk and Engram as receiving weapons, along with O-line help, and more help on defense. That FA class was a big part in making the playoffs for the Jags in year 2 of Lawrences' career and putting the Jags on the right path to being a threat in the AFC and favorites in the AFC South from now on.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You don't build around the QB after he proves he's good. You build around the QB so he's able to be good.

That's not what I said. In the first year or 2, you build the nucleus through the draft. You spend big in FA when you think you're ready to make a push to the SB.  

Then there's also the possibility that many FAs had no desire to sign here because of the questions at QB. 

And to your point about the jags and Lawrence, keep in mind Lawrence was far more polished coming into the league than, well any of the qbs in this past draft and he was the#1 pick.  Everyone involved with the league knew Lawrence was going to be the pick.   That's a lot easier sell than "we don't know who the QB will be and whoever it is will be raw and need time to develop."  And no FA is coming to indy because of Gardner minshew :)

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 8:35 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not predicting a win but a bit more optimistic than you ... solely that maybe the jags being the jags reached their pinnacle last year of winning the division by default? :thinking: Lawrence is expected to progress more this year,naturally, but I wasn't impressed late in season by his play.  

The colts haven't been winning openers for a while but the jags haven't been winning in Indy either.... Lol

Hoping the Jags will be the Jags again this sunday and overcome your logic of handicapping the game :funny:

• Like 1