Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL JAGS VS COLTS PREVIEW

Restinpeacesweetchloe

On 9/4/2023 at 1:31 AM, J@son said:

I 100% disagree.  This would have been one of the worst years for ballard to spend big in FA. He had no idea who his QB was going to be. Why would you spend big in FA without a QB unless a QB is one of the positions you fill in FA?

I doubt even next year will be.  Most likely the right time to spend big will be the year after next. THEN he'll know what he has in AR and SS.

The exception to waiting is if a superb WR comes available. Or perhaps a pass rusher. One of Pittman or Pierce needs to prove they can be 1000 yard receiver and get 10+ tds. 

AR thinks fast and remains calm. I believe he will be good in the red zone in time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The exception to waiting is if a superb WR comes available. Or perhaps a pass rusher. One of Pittman or Pierce needs to prove they can be 1000 yard receiver and get 10+ tds. 

AR thinks fast and remains calm. I believe he will be good in the red zone in time.

Pittman has already proven he is a 1k yard WR. He should of had it last year too  but Ryan was awful. Sometimes guys are yardage guys and not TD guys.

I mapped out the most recent pff grades for the entire starting lineups for both teams.  The results were very interesting.  The Jags had a big advantages for all offensive skill positions, and an advantage in the secondary.  But, surprisingly, the Colts had a big advantage all across the OL and defensive front 7.  Like a BIG advantage across most of those positions.  Opens up a great path to victory through controlling the LoS.  

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Archer said:

I mapped out the most recent pff grades for the entire starting lineups for both teams.  The results were very interesting.  The Jags had a big advantages for all offensive skill positions, and an advantage in the secondary.  But, surprisingly, the Colts had a big advantage all across the OL and defensive front 7.  Like a BIG advantage across most of those positions.  Opens up a great path to victory through controlling the LoS.  

Agreed. Protect Anthony #1. Disrupt Trevor #2. Do those two things and we have a shot at the upset. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To me this is a statement game for the Jags. A trap game, even. 

They went to the playoffs last season and made some noise in them. They have legitimate reasons to expect the same this season. They need to come out of the gate strong against us. 

I’m not gonna put it past the Jags to Jags, but I do think we’re going to keep this one closer than some expect. 

• Like 3

On 9/5/2023 at 11:09 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman has already proven he is a 1k yard WR. He should of had it last year too  but Ryan was awful. Sometimes guys are yardage guys and not TD guys.

I expect his times targeted #s to drop significantly.

Ballard has lived and died providing us with big 50/50 ball guys. He and Frank failed miserably going that route.

AR needs to make Pittman and Pierce look much better for sure.

I feel like people think this is the Jags team from 2017, which it is not. If anything, it's the exact opposite. No elite defense but a great offense. Jaguars oline is actually pretty bad. Interior is average and their LT is suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Their defense (outside of Josh Allen) is decent but not elite. I think Colts are pretty comparable in those two areas (better Oline and Dline despite what people think) but where the Jags really shine is at skill position. Etienne, Kirk, Lawrence, Ridley, etc. It's enough to overwhelm this young Colts team. The key to this game is getting pressure on Lawrence. No excuses with our dline, especially if Kwity/Dayo want to breakout.

Jags haven't won in Indy in quite some time. Add in a new HC and new QB for the Colts, and I don't think it's a blowout people think it will be. Maybe if this was in Jacksonville but this is in Indy. Week 1 always has some weird things going on. I'm not saying we win but it'll be closer than people expect. 

• Like 1

I expect this game to be riddled with mistakes and bad play from both sides. A week 1 AFC South classic tbh.

I'm not sold that Trevor is an elite quarterback like some people have implied. He's more of a game manager + kind of guy to me. But we haven't seen how he played with Calvin Ridley yet, which definitely could be scary.

I expect AR to make a few wow plays and a few horrible plays this game. If we keep it close, it might boil down to which type of these plays he makes at the end of the game.

I really hope Steichen is a beast of a play caller like his resume implies. We'll need to be clever to win any games this season given the lack of firepower this offense has, especially without Taylor.

He's still incredibly young, but hopefully Pierce can take another step towards improvement this year. If he is inconsistent this year, a ton of Colts fans will be looking for him to get replaced.

I hope this CB group doesn't get embarrassed, but I can easily see them being what our OL group was last year. If they are then this season will be long no matter how much AR improves throughout the season because he isn't consistent enough yet to constantly win shootouts (no rookie is)

It's game day fella's! I expect a reasonably close divisional game but it could be a blowout if the Jags don't kill themselves with penalties and turnovers. If I had to guess its going to be something like 31 to 17.

There are some misconceptions about our offensive line around here. Yes, our starting left tackle from last year is not playing but his replacement is the same guy that played very well the last four games last year, including playoffs. Many Jags fans feel he should be our full time starter. Also Brandon Scherff played through injury the majority of the 22 season. He is now healthy and has been his normal pro bowl self in the preseason. Our right tackle is a rookie from Oklahoma who was a standout in camp and preseason. Many of us think is already better than Taylor who we lost to the Chiefs in free agency. Our center is a guy who was a rookie last year but has shown much improvement in the preseason. The offensive line as a whole has looked very good, even dominant at times so far.  Expect a dynamic offensive both running and passing from this team.

Your impressions of the Jag's defense as average is spot on. That's how they graded out last season. Jag's fans are hoping for a second year leap for former rookies Walker, Devon Loyd, and Muma as well as the second year in the defensive scheme to help the unit improve. We are missing our nose tackle today, so that will hurt.

I am hoping for a great game with no injuries on either side. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 8:19 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Separation comes with better route running. I am sure he will be a better route runner this year.

Im okay with Pierce and I do think he will get better. But if we've got any chance at getting Marvin Harrison Jr next year I'd send Pierce packing with the quickness.  Or find something else to do with him to keep Marvin and he on the team at the same time. 

Definitely pulling for the Colts but I think the Jags will probably pull it out.  They have more continuity and weapons on offense than we do primarily amongst other factors.  I don't like that all AR has access to on the ground is himself, Deon Jackson, Hull, and Funk.   I already know the passing is going to be hit or miss at different points of the game.  Im expecting AR may sail a throw or two that ends up being an interception.  Im going to route hard, but I think this ones going to turn out to be a loss.  You usually won't find me saying things like this but that's where Im at.  LOL!