Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan on his Colt tenure

CR91

For those that are not subscribed.

Former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan is eager to get his new career as a game analyst for CBS started, and, if he’s being honest, still trying to process how his last career ended — or if it has even ended at all.

“I mean, it was a s— show, you know, it was a s— show of 18 months basically is the best way to describe it,” Ryan told The Athletic on Monday morning. “But I think everybody in our family handled it well and came out of it stronger and in a really good spot.”

Ryan, 38, spent 14 seasons as Atlanta’s starting quarterback, being named the league’s MVP in 2016 and setting every significant passing record in the organization’s history along the way. He was getting ready for Year 15 with the Falcons in March 2022 when he learned that he was being traded to the Indianapolis Colts for a third-round pick.

Edited by Superman
clipped, can't post the entire article
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He went from having Reich as a playcaller who regardless of how we feel was at least experienced in that role, to having a young pup who had never called plays before in his life to finish the rest of the season... And that alone sort of sums up the season with Matt Ryan. 

• Like 1

Other than last year, he may need to revisit when he lost his best attributes as QB and started playing at a lower level, that may have been how his career ended. And, it started showing when he was still in Atlanta. 

Nevertheless, he handled it well last year mostly off-the-field and that 39-yard run on the field was a highlight to remember.

Hope he does well as color analyst. 

• Like 1

It was bad planning and bad scouting and self assessment. Ballard's lucky to still have a job. Reich landed on his feet so good for him. 

From a Ryan perspective, he is/was done. Unlike Rivers, he just doesnt seem to know it. If you dont have the deep shot in your bag, you cant play behind Indy's line.

• Like 3

They thought they were getting veteran, smart football.  They got just the opposite.  Yes, Pinter and the O-line tried their best early on to end his life, but still. 

Overall, Wentz played smarter football.

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

"Classy?" 

I don't disagree, I just never associated "classy" especially with pocket passers....  Just as many Jags and jerks as any other type....

I associated him with the classy pocket passers that were in the league before now. I didn’t say they were all classy. There are plenty of * hole pocket passers as well, which I wouldn’t be comparing him to. 

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Disappointed Matt said this.

Let's not forget the the Colts were one of the few teams that took Matt in after he was released by the falcons

His comment was about more than just his time in Indy. He was talking about all the change from him leaving Atlanta suddenly, to things going off the rails with the Colts. Basically the last 18 months of his career. I didn't think he was talking negatively about the Colts. Just acknowledging that it was a crazy period of time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Disappointed Matt said this.

Let's not forget the the Colts were one of the few teams that took Matt in after he was released by the falcons

Umm the Colts traded for him after he picked to come to Indy over other teams that had interest in him…

• Like 1

Last season was sad how it went down. What could go wrong, went wrong. It wasn't just Matt, the whole team was finding ways to lose and play bad at the wrong time in close games. 

Matt did play poorly at times though.

I had high hopes and have always respected Matt, IMO he is a Hall of Famer. Great career in Atlanta = 7th all-time passing yards, 1 league MVP, and was an NFC Champion. Probably not 1st ballot but I think he is 2nd ballot.

• Like 1

Of course he hasn’t officially retired bc he would probably have to pay back the money he got from us this year. No hard feelings, I would do the same. I honestly forget he was a QB for us. Good guy but should have retired a Falcon but also smart guy bc he was able to squeeze out one last contract while taking a chance to catch lightning in a bottle. Too bad it didn’t work and I hope he has a good career as a commentator.  

He was promised a wall and got a matador for the OL, the rest was a ripple effect. Besides, his arm wasn't scaring many as the season went on as defenders were jumping his throws more as we played tougher teams as the season went on. Plus, the Reich firing/Saturday hiring and all the other variables made it a roller coaster ride w.r.t off the field events. Reich won 3 games and Saturday 1. It wasn't as bad as the Curtis Painter year that gave us Andrew Luck but close enough w.r.t our inability to close games in all phases, and giving us a Top 4 pick.

Hopefully it gave us the QB of the future. That can be the only silver lining that may come out of it.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Apparently there wasn't much love. Ryan in my opinion never should have taken the job. This was truly a Jekyll & Hyde story in terms of success.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/matt-ryan-end-of-career-with-colts-was-a-s-t-show/ar-AA1eXGyT?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5a3c2afcd3384e9fb000a3db689e6c4c&ei=25Matt 

https://forums.colts.com/topic/75642-matt-ryan-on-his-colt-tenure/

• 2 weeks later...